Schmuley's Book A Good Read

vjbrown

Proud Member
I picked it up yesterday. At first I was planning to just sit in Barnes & Noble and read the whole thing. But there was so much new information in it that I wanted to buy it. Shumely says it was MJ's wish to have the book published, to bear his soul and have the public see him in a new light. Shumley also said the book was published because mJ's death would be even more of a tragedy if no lesson was learned from it. I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with Shumely, but the book is written very fairly, and while he states his opinions from time to time, it is without malicious intent. I believe he cared deeply for Michael and tried hard to help him. Also, most of the book are direct quotes from Michael. So it's pretty good.

Re: Shumely's Book A Good Read

Sorry, I've never been a fan of Shylock , so I won't be buying the book.

I did not like the way he talked about Michael on the dateline interview. Maybe his intentions are good, but I dont want him making money off this tragic death. I have many memories from Michael and his music that will last me a lifetime.. and plus cant wait to receive my OPUS!!! :)

vjbrown--maybe u can share with us some good quotes tho! :p

I picked it up yesterday. At first I was planning to just sit in Barnes & Noble and read the whole thing. But there was so much new information in it that I wanted to buy it. Shumely says it was MJ's wish to have the book published, to bear his soul and have the public see him in a new light. Shumley also said the book was published because mJ's death would be even more of a tragedy if no lesson was learned from it. I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with Shumely, but the book is written very fairly, and while he states his opinions from time to time, it is without malicious intent. I believe he cared deeply for Michael and tried hard to help him. Also, most of the book are direct quotes from Michael. So it's pretty good.

I think this guy rationalizes very very well, and there was a valid reason for him to be on some list of Michaels of people he felt were out to hurt him.

Mostly, I just sincerely wish all these so called friends would just back off, and SHUT UP!

Another person making business of a Michael's death.

Makes me sick and what's worse is that is comes from a man of religion.

i agree with the posts above, he's intentionally out to hurt michael. he says michael commited suicide...like come on!!!! but if you want to put money into his pocket...its upto you.

That's good to hear. I wasn't too concerned because MJ has a good heart. I trust Michael. What he ACTUALLY says and how it's taken out of context are always two different things.

What percentage of info would you say is in the book but not heard already in the interviews with shmuley. Obviously i dont just mean regular info...i mean interesting info that fans would want to know. like interesting mj stories..what he thought of his career..his physical appearance...etc.

The problem is that we only have this schmuck's word that Michael 'wanted' these taped conversations released. Has anyone ever heard of this project in 2002/2003??? I didn't think so.

Plus, this guys plays off like he is really one of Michael's friends and yet he talks sh*t about him during the 2005 trial and is so ambiguous about Michael's innocence/guilt in the allegations. This guys only says sh*t like this on Dateline and LKL so that people will buy the book. He's causing controversy.

I went to B&N and spend some time to read the book. It's not worth buying, IMO. I am not going to give money to this user who had abused his friendship with Michael.

OR if some find a need to have the book because of Michael's comments. Buy the book, then go to Kinko's or somewhere with a photocopier and photocopy the pages with Michael's comments. Then go and return the book. I just hate that this mofo is making money off of Michael's personal confessions.

you think Michael was crazy for cutting all ties with the rabid rabbi? Or MJ had no reason for putting him on a list of folks who want to destroy his life (along with Geller, diane dimond, tom sneddon...)?

I am glad you bought the book, but don't try to convince others to reward a traitor.

The problem is that we only have this schmuck's word that Michael 'wanted' these taped conversations released. Has anyone ever heard of this project in 2002/2003??? I didn't think so.

I remember a rumor that he wanted to contribute on a book about family...but what this fake rabbi just publish has nothing do with family. If the releasing of the tapes was Mj's plan, how come MJ does not get credit for contributing to the book and get a cut of the profits?

The thing about Rabbi Shmuley is, he doesn't come across as being understanding or sympathetic, he is simply judgemental. He once said that, and I quote, "Michael deserves to be criticised for believing he has too much power..." Shmuley doesn't get it. Michael saying he has power is not just a belief, but a fact. Whether he likes it or not, Michael did have a lot of power. Just because he acknowledged this fact, does not make him delusional. It's no wonder Heal the Kids went nowhere. I can imagine Michael sitting there saying he believes he could change the world, and make it better, and Rabbi Shmuley yelling in his ear telling him that he's delusional and stupid for believing that. If Shmuley was always that negative, then I can understand why Michael distanced himself. The two of them just didn't fit. Michael believed that anything was possible, and Shmuley was a realist. They were polar opposites, the only thing they had in common was they shared the same view about family. Shmuley never understood Michael Jackson, because he couldn't relate to him.

I really, really don't see the point in Rabbi Shmuley writing a book to help the world understand the real Michael Jackson, when he himself couldn't understand the real Michael Jackson. I don't like the idea of him twisting things that Michael has said, and turning it into something bad. Good example: The Hitler comment. Rabbi Shmuley and Michael argued back and forth about whether Hitler could have been helped. Rabbi Shmuley told Michael he was fundamentally evil, no one could help him because there was no humanity to address. Michael said Hitler was human, the terrible things he did were a result of what happened to him in his life, and Michael said if he had an hour with him, he would be able to find the good in him, because hey, there's good in everyone. Of course, Shmuley started criticising and said must believe he's some type of Jesus Christ figure, how dare believe he could help an evil man like Hitler! My interpretation: Michael Jackson would reach out and open his heart to anyone, regardless of what they've done, or how bad there history is. No body, no matter how bad they were, would ever get turned away (Think of the Arviso's - welfare cheats, self-admitted liars, people were warning Michael about the family, and Michael helped them, because they needed his help). Yes okay, maybe Michael was a little naive thinking he could find good in Hitler, but for crying out loud, he didn't think he was "God" and he sure as hell doesn't deserve to be criticised for that statement. Michael didn't care about where you came from or what you did. He would help anyone that needed help. Shmuley just took it the wrong way. Michael and Rabbi Shmuley had two completely different minds. They thought differently, that is why Rabbi Shmuley should be the last person talking about Michael. He didn't understand him. I don't mind people telling Michael's story, but I'm just not sure Rabbi Shmuley is the right person to do it.

Last edited:

you think Michael was crazy for cutting all ties with the rabid rabbi? Or MJ had no reason for putting him on a list of folks who want to destroy his life (along with Geller, diane dimond, tom sneddon...)?

I am glad you bought the book, but don't try to convince others to reward a traitor.

I remember a rumor that he wanted to contribute on a book about family...but what this fake rabbi just publish has nothing do with family. If the releasing of the tapes was Mj's plan, how come MJ does not get credit for contributing to the book and get a cut of the profits?

I agree.

Last edited:

What piss me off is every body who claiming they seen MJ over boarding him self with medication and no body couldn’t stop him from doing this oh please what ever I mean come on it seems to me like people wanted him to be known as a damn drug addict and this is the MJ I refused to acknowledge cause I know their were people who did help him in his time of his deepest need especially trying to over come a aching broken heart no body could help him clear his hard up bringing but him I’m sure at times he felt like his life was better off gone then alive because of all the heart ache media and a lot of people who he thought he trusted fail him. But he was bless with his gifts and that’s his children in my heart he wanted to live to see them grow, graduate or even get married he wanted eternal life for his children. His children were blessings they were met to be around him for a reason to keep him living and dwelling on better things like this is it concert he wanted to bless all his fans with.

I can't really knock this dude shumely but these were records from 10years ago until 2003? Go sit down please did he get a chance to tell this dude about the wrongful doctors in his life>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>wateva

"...Never print this. Please don't..."

That man not only published Michael's words in a BOOK :doh:, but also SOLD the (AUDIO) tapes to the media! This is awful! OMG! :bugeyed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh7AwDICYPo&NR=1

Believe it or not this is a different person and these are different tapes. I believe these tapes on the NOTW site are from the sessions with the second person who was supposed to ghostwrite Moonwalk.

My stance is simple - it is hypocritical to decry Boteach for violating Michael's privacy and still consume (in whatever form) what he has divulged.

You either think that Boteach was right in what he did and you want to read what he has to say

OR

You respect Michael and his children and you do not disrespect them by reading/scanning/photocopying Boteach's work.

And to StephLuvsMJ, your post said everything that I have been struggling to say all day. Bless you.

Mostly, I just sincerely wish all these so called friends would just back off, and SHUT UP!

AGREED!

... AND AGREED! I will NOT be putting money into this man's pockets... but once again, a lot of idiots out there WILL be. I'll get a hold of it somehow... but he isn't getting a dime from me. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Niente'.

Whatever happened between Michael and The Rabbi should have STAYED between Michael and the Rabbi. I feel sick to my stomach--again. I was supposed to be taking a break from all of this... but then I was lucky enough to catch this on LKL tonight. Sonofabitch. :puke:

Jackson's 'Ex-Rabbi': Did $100,000 Go to Charity?

Friday, April 02, 2004
The list of con men and hustlers who've taken advantage of Michael Jackson continues to grow, especially where charity causes are concerned. Jackson has been in Washington this week talking about raising money for new charities, but his old ones are still dogging him.

You will recall that Jackson was involved in something called Heal the Kids with Rabbi "Shmuley" Boteach. The most recent filing for Boteach's charity, L'Chaim Society, under which Heal the Kids fell, listed as one of its directors James Meiskin, a man currently in trouble with the Manhattan District Attorney's office for extortion.

But it now turns out that when you call the number for the L'Chaim Society, all you get is a recorded message that says the charity is gone and so is the rabbi. There are no forwarding numbers, according to the message. There is an old, non-working number listed in Boston for the man who signed the last L'Chaim Society tax return, one Arash Farin, and no listing anywhere for its other director, Avri Vantman.
Related

You can always hear or see Boteach on TV or radio giving his opinion about something or other and plugging one of his books.

But one thing he doesn't seem able to opine is where all the money went from the short-lived charity. And one person who might be interested is Denise Rich, who wrote Boteach a check for $100,000 in the fall of 2000 for the L'Chaim Society right around the time Boteach and his then "pal" Michael Jackson came to two of her own fundraising events.

That $100,000 shows up in the L'Chaim Society's 2000 tax return. The same return shows no money whatsoever was spent on anything remotely charitable, just salaries and expenses.
Rich, who is the victim in this case, thought she was giving the money to one of Jackson's charities at the time. But a source who was with Jackson at the time says Jackson never saw the money or the check. It went straight to Boteach and the L'Chaim Society.

Now, there is an even more interesting connection between all these people: Boteach's American benefactor is famous stock trader and philanthropist Michael Steinhardt. Steinhardt has been one of the staunchest supporters and business associates of Rich's ex-husband, Marc, a financier convicted of tax evasion and racketeering who was then pardoned by President Clinton in January 2001. Steinhardt lobbied hard for the pardon.

Like Michael Jackson, Steinhardt — whose father was the famous criminal "Red" Steinhardt with heavy ties to the mob and Meyer Lansky — has his own zoo, too. Steinhardt financed Boteach's mortgage for a $1.5 million home in New Jersey four years ago. Somehow, he managed to get him a cash loan from a local bank. Why did he do it? According to sources, Boteach may have saved one of Steinhardt's sons from involvement in a cult, and Steinhardt was grateful.

Steinhardt voiced surprise that Boteach had been running a L'Chaim Society here in New York for the last several years. And that was kind of interesting since he was one of the forces behind the Boteach/L'Chaim fundraiser in February 2001 at Carnegie Hall that featured a panel discussion on children starring Jackson, game show host Chuck Woolery, and others. The money made from ticket sales that evening has never been accounted for. The organization that hosted it — the Seminar Center — folded soon after.

Boteach — who is banned by the United Synagogues in Great Britian from having a pulpit — is best remembered for a quote he gave the London Independent in 1996. He said there is an 11th, unwritten Commandment: "Thou shalt do anything for publicity and recognition."

Listening to TDRCAU(The Original Version)

WTF?!!!!!!!
are you giving the damn blood money book free publicity or something?
any MJ fan who has a brain will boycott this book
the only thing the rabbi wants to do is make money off of mj he doesn't give a damn what ppl think of him he doesn't even believe that Micheal was innocent
this book would have never been out if MJ was alive

I just hope someone will scan it and we'll be able to download it without buying. It makes me sick just thinking about having a book with Schmuley's name on it on my bookshelf.

Oh come on he called Michael inmoral on Larry King, you know how strong that word is?? he should release the tapes with no comment from him, who cares about the rabbi opinnions?? his head is so dirty, i mean cause he keeps on and on saying stuff full of innuendo, its sickening and BORING AND DEPRESSING:bugeyed

It's really catch 22 here guys.

Michael wanted this to be released, correct? He wanted people to read his words and understand who he was - it may have been directed at the masses rather than just fans but there is still alot in Michael's words that give guidance and insight into who he was a person.

On the other hand - we have someone who released the book/tapes etc to give Michael's message to the world once again. I think what is unfair of Schmuly is his bias in the tapes especially, and the fact that he is profiteering here.

I don't think we should hate on the OP.. I watched and listened to the tapes - I ignored about half of it due to it being Schmuly making outrageous and bias claims.. but nonetheless I listened to Michael and basically ignored Schmuly and it made me feel even closer to Michael than before. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. It's just the fact this Rabbi is making money out of it all. If he were a good righteous religious man he would follow Michael's steps and donate all/a sizeable amount to Michael's favourite charities..

It's really catch 22 here guys.

Michael wanted this to be released, correct? He wanted people to read his words and understand who he was - it may have been directed at the masses rather than just fans but there is still alot in Michael's words that give guidance and insight into who he was a person.

On the other hand - we have someone who released the book/tapes etc to give Michael's message to the world once again. I think what is unfair of Schmuly is his bias in the tapes especially, and the fact that he is profiteering here.

I don't think we should hate on the OP.. I watched and listened to the tapes - I ignored about half of it due to it being Schmuly making outrageous and bias claims.. but nonetheless I listened to Michael and basically ignored Schmuly and it made me feel even closer to Michael than before. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. It's just the fact this Rabbi is making money out of it all. If he were a good righteous religious man he would follow Michael's steps and donate all/a sizeable amount to Michael's favourite charities..

LMAO. And do you really think he would do this?

I agree, that interview with The Rabbi and LKL just didn't sit right with me. He made Michael sound like a power-hungry and a "My Way or The Highway" typa guy. I don't see anything wrong with standing up for what you believe in, and moving on if others don't support your good intentions/share your views.

Yeah... the rest of the idiot public might "get the message" ... but it literally cracks me up when all of these "friends" come out and are now trying to mimic him. Guilty conscious much??? If you treated somebody like shit while they were living, then IMO, it doesn't mean jackshit to me what you try to do for them when they're already dead. Sorry, just my 2 cents there.

Am i the only one who doesn't hate this rabbi? I haven't heard him say anything that bad really and i think the book seems ridiculously positive and will make people think of MJ as more then just some weird guy they see in the tabloids all the time.

the rabbi has an agenda. i don't trust him.

i'm not interested in buying the book and hearing what he has to say about a man he hasn't spoken to for years. the tapes seem interesting, i would like to hear those and hear michael for myself

this rabbi should talk about what happened between him and the heal the world foundation. he should talk about how michael was killed by his doctor who injected him with sedatives and propofol and not by painkillers like he keeps saying on tv.

I totally agree with you. I got no desire of ever getting that book from him. I really wanted to strangle him. When I heard what he has called Michael on that Dateline special. I just really hate that guy. More than I ever did before.

The guy is a liar and Michael kicked him out of his life for a very good reason, I would rather pull my finger nails out one by one than read the book, as for putting money in his pocket, forget it.

I doubt very much that Michael told him to publish it, if he wanted to tell the world his thoughts he didn't need this shmuck to do it.

Michael was HOSED by Unruly Shumely just like he was HOSED by Uri Gellar and Martin Bashir.I don't believe that Michael gave permission for Shumely to record him,
He probably had the place bugged where they were with hidden recorders so that sneaky pete can use it on his show in later years because when he was with Michael ,He was a roaming Rabbi that written books, not a talkshow host. if so, If Michael was aware of this, where's a writen statement from Michael that he gave Shumely permission to have him recorded and for these recordings to be released to the public. And this has come to mind also after hearing the tapes on the Today show and Dateline and LKL,Sometimes Michael is not that serious when he talks to people who are his friends and he could say things to make people laugh,The way these tapes were presented was as if The words he says were serious and It made me cry then it made me angry. I don't know how to take these tapes.It might be Michael's voice but the way it was presented made me think.
I'm not going to by the book but if there are things that wasn't heard on The Today show or Dateline or OLD MAN KING. put it up on this board for all to see. It's a shame how people are making money off Michael's death, Tapes can be doctored and he's not here to say the words of Congressman Joe Wilson "YOU LIE!!!"
Michael had a reason to let this guy go.MONEY and FAME AT HIS EXPENSE..
HE TRICKED MICHAEL.
This guy should be sued........:evil:

Michael doesn't have to worry about being around people like that anymore.:angel:

Last edited:
Back