David Letterman Victim of $2 Million Extortion Plot

Victory2004

Proud Member
David Letterman Victim of $2 Million Extortion Plot

By Stephen M. Silverman
Originally posted Thursday October 01, 2009 10:00 PM EDT
David Letterman Photo by: J.P. Filo / CBS
dletterman.jpg
David Letterman made a shocking personal confession on his CBS Late Show Thursday, admitting he was the victim of a $2 million extortion attempt and that he had had sexual relations with female members of staff.

Three weeks ago, according to a press release from reps of the TV host to PEOPLE and other news organizations, Letterman received a package whose sender claimed to have information about alleged sexual activity between the 62-year-old star and employees of his program.

Threatening to go public with the news, the individual reportedly sought $2 million from Letterman, the current late-night ratings champ told his studio audience Thursday.

"This morning, I did something I've never done in my life," Letterman said as the cameras rolled. "I had to go downtown and testify before a grand jury."

In his testimony, Letterman said, he admitted to engaging in sexual relationships with staff members. "My response to that is, yes I have. Would it be embarrassing if it were made public? Perhaps it would."

He added, "I feel like I need to protect these people – I need to certainly protect my family."

Having initially contacted the Manhattan District Attorney's special prosecution bureau, Letterman helped participate in a sting operation, eventually meeting and handing a counterfeit $2 million check to the alleged extortionist – who was arrested on Thursday.

Letterman and longtime girlfriend (since 1986) Regina Lasko were married in March. They have one child, a son, Harry, born in 2003.http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20309725,00.html

What a hypocrite. I don't feel sorry for him at all. I don't care if he ever recovers from this scandal. I hope he gets what he gave MJ, dragging him through the mud every chance he got, perpetuating lies. I say good for him, he brought this on himself anyway.

NB: I do commend Dave for 'fessing up. (Though I can't prove that it wasn't an act of self-preservation. =/) And I do recognize that he's also a victim. However, I'm not here to offer my feelings on the subject. I'm just commenting on the *situation*.

Okay, so, I understand that child molestation and sleeping with multiple staff members 30 years your junior/(cheating?) are very very different things. However, I do find it interesting that the media headlines are all "extortion" related. Sure people are talking about his deeds, but the main news (from reporters, as well as Dave himself) was "extortion." Now, I understand this is an imperfect comparison, but still....
MJ is *accused* of something (that we know he did not do) in an extortion attempt and becomes the perpetrator.
Letterman *confirms* something he did to avoid an extortion and becomes the honorable victim.
? =/ *scratches head*
It's just not fair.

Guess this is karma after he played down MJ's extortion for false allegations. One example of that is when he talked about one of the harry potter movies and how it made alot without mj's money.

He deserves to be fired from his job...I personally know that every time I turn on my tv i dont want to see David Letterman using his dry comic skills to get out of this jam...he thinks by making fun of himself...that none else needs to ...I personally wouldn't make fun of him I just don't want to see him on my tv screen anymore..IMHO

I honestly cannot believe that Halderman (a former CBS executive and the extortionist) thought that he was going to get away with this! He must have been pretty desperate for cash, and pretty angry about his former girlfriend being involved.

But yes, it does reek a bit of hypocrisy, especially as Letterman has made fun of a lot of politicians over the years for their extramarital activities.

I don't think it's going to affect his career that much, and I certainly don't think he'll be fired.

He deserves to be fired from his job...I personally know that every time I turn on my tv i dont want to see David Letterman using his dry comic skills to get out of this jam...he thinks by making fun of himself...that none else needs to ...I personally wouldn't make fun of him I just don't want to see him on my tv screen anymore..IMHO

I don't see how having sex with some women effects his ability to do his show at all.

The worst thing to do in an exhortion shakedown is to pay up to the exhortionist, because they usually come back for more money The best thing to do is call the police on the extortionist.

About 16 years ago, Autumn Jackson claimed that she was Bill Cosby's illegitimate daughter from a cheating affair he had decades ago. Autumn's age matched the affair, so he gave her about $3000 to leave him alone, but she got greedy and asked him for even more money, and he got fed up with her asking him for more money, so he did a paternity test, and it was revealed that he was not her father, and she was heard on tape talking about how she was going to exhort lots more money out of him, and she was sent to jaik for exhortion :)

Back