For All the Time - Dangerous and Thriller version

They're both the same song. The "demo" version during the Thriller era was never released. The version you hear on Thriller 25 is the"remixed" version from the Dangerous sessions.

Love this song too. So the only version we can hear is from Dangerous sessions, eh? And even it has been told dozens of times that version is from Thriller, it is not?

I have "both" but I don't get the difference.

Sorry, found this old thread and had to answer.

You really can't hear the difference?

There is a slightly different sounding electric percussion beat on the newer version.
And new full vocals/lyrics have been added to the bridge parts on the new version
Those lyrics are not present on the old demo. You just hear MJ humming the part.

The vocals that were added are like this....

"ohhh, and on these quiet days, their souls embrace so solidly(silently?).
"ohhh, the rain may wash away..

The final version that appears on Thriller 25 is clearer, and has more vocals in the bridge part of the song. Other than that, same song

I'm not sure if I believe that this song was ever originally recorded for Thriller. I get the feeling Sony just said that so that they could include it on Thriller 25 and try and pass it off as an outtake from that era. It was originally meant to be on the Dangerous outtakes.

I'm not sure if I believe that this song was ever originally recorded for Thriller. I get the feeling Sony just said that so that they could include it on Thriller 25 and try and pass it off as an outtake from that era. It was originally meant to be on the Dangerous outtakes.

It was actually written for Thriller, the same guys that wrote Human Nature, (from TOTO) hence the similarity. I don' have any source for this right now, but maybe others could give a link.
Michael may have recorded it during the Thriller sessions first, and later during Dangerous sessions. The reason the Dangerous session version was released could be because it was more complete in terms of production of the song, and needed less thouching up to do for it's release.

But then again, why didn't they just use any song from thriller sessions that was more complete, well, because Thriller and For All Time goes great together :)

Actually Carousel was going to be on Thriller, until MJ, Q and gang heard Toto's demo of "Human Nature". That's what really happened. For All Time was never in the mix for the original release

Actually Carousel was going to be on Thriller, until MJ, Q and gang heard Toto's demo of "Human Nature". That's what really happened. For All Time was never in the mix for the original release

I always suspected as much.... which makes the songs inclusion on Thriller 25 completely pointless.

I'll never understand why they didn't just put Got The Hots on T25 instead. At least it's genuinely from the Thriller-era.

Well I'm not complaining because I've loved For All Time for years and I was ecstatic when it was FINALLY released on an album.

I like For All Time as well, but it had no place on Thriller 25.

I've never been so disappointed with an official MJ release as I was with T25. The remixes were terrible, the bonus song wasn't even recorded during the Thriller-era. The whole thing just struck me as lazy and half-assed.

Here's an audio interview with Steve Porcaro, the Toto guy who wrote Human nature and For all Time, which was aired last year, after MJ's passing. It does not focus solely on MJ but they talk about Human Nature demo, working with Quincy etc. and in about 46th minute of the interview, For All Time is mentioned. Steve says it was written 17 years ago.

That would mean it was written in 1992, which is AFTER Dangerous.

Hmmm, the plot thickens.

After listening to Both songs,I like the Demo more than The Updated version. The Demo sounded sexier to me.The New Vocals sounded fuller on the newer version but the Demo made it sound more better to listen too. I think that Sometimes the demo sound more better than the Master...

^ me too i like the original "For All Time" the new one was not that good and the bridge was useless ,the song became weaker and diconnected because of this unclear bridge!

^ me too i like the original "For All Time" the new one was not that good and the bridge was useless ,the song became weaker and diconnected because of this unclear bridge!

The bridge is a bit strange. Is that even MJ singing? Why is it so quiet and layered? It sounds completely out of place.

love this song. one of may favs released or unreleased mj songs. love for it to get a proper release. song sounds totally dangerous era to me. intresting that the toto guys wrote it. i guess thats were ther great melody comes from

I love this song too! Its going to be mine and my fiance's first dance song - any recommendations on what version we should have? - I only have the T25 version.

I wish the 2001 SE of Thriller or Thriller 25 had been like the 2003 re-release of Lionel Richie's Can't Slow Down, with a second disc full of demos and out-takes in CD quality and not a single modern remix. Now that would've done justice to the album. I am thankful for what has been officially released from the Thriller sessions, though.

But anyway, I love both versions of For All Time.

To my ears both songs are the same, the exception being the "Demo" version wasn't mixed. It was mixed and polished up for Thriller 25.

My theory is that For All Time was written with Human Nature for Thriller, but it was never recorded. It was later revisited and recorded for Dangerous.

The both versions are great but i love the updated version of it and i am so glad that they included it in T25. The bridge part is so beautiful
'' and in these quiet days, where souls embrace so silently ''
One of my fav MJ songs

I prefer the updated version. It flows better, sounds fuller/richer. The echo on MJ's voice during the chorus is great too, when he screams that "Maybe the WALLS will crumble" and the word "walls" goes right through you. :)

Last edited:
The differences are subtle, but here's what I've gathered:

- Slightly different mixing levels between instruments
- MJ's main vocals have a slightly different echo/reverb effect on them
- The background vocals on the chorus have been completely re-recorded for T25
- The bridge has completely re-recorded vocals

The clarity people are talking about is just because the Dangerous demo that leaked was taken from an old digital audio tape rather than being from a master. The T25 has also been EQ'ed and such to flow with the mastering of the Thriller 25 album.

Back