The 1993 case. [Threads merged, All discussion in this one thread]

MichaelMySoul

Proud Member
Ive got alot of questions about the 1992-1993 case with Michaels first accusor. I was too young when this happened so I wanted some info as Im watching lots of interviews at the moment...

Where was Michael when he first heard the alligations, what country?
Was he doing a tour when the alligations made headlines?
Did he stop his tour when the alligations made headlines and cancelled lots of concerts or did he continue to tour knowing what he had been accused of? (That would have been terrible and I want to know incase I watch a Dangerous concert...)
If he was abroad, when did Michael return back to America for questioning?
He said on the tv-statement he had gotten treatment for his drugabuse, does anyone know where he got treatment, what state/country?
I saw the Diane Sawyer interview and Elizabeth Taylor said she visited Michael in Singapore, was he there during the tour or just for escapism?
When was the settlement finished, how many weeks/months after the alligations?

Im asking because I feel that I need to know since Im watching all these interviews but Im not catching up with the information.

Re: I have some questions about the 1993 case.

I was there and had a terrible experience.
Heres what I know, my experience.
I had some newspaper articles from that year too, by the way::

Did he stop his tour when the alligations made headlines and cancelled lots of concerts or did he continue to tour knowing what he had been accused of? (That would have been terrible and I want to know incase I watch a Dangerous concert...)

YES HE CANCELLED, he cancelled Dangerous tour. I had my tickets to watch MJ live, but due to the accusations THAT YEAR, and all the legal issues Michael Jackson got very sick and cancelled the tour.

I had for sure too the first news said it was an extortion case.

So, that first accusation means to me a lot , I missed my only chance ot see MJ live on his super awesome Dangerous tour...

Oh god I read through the article about where he was given treatment.. Such a sweet and tragic story.. Im happy he put on weight and slept better and became happier during his visit. I need to read more about this period because frankly I knew nothing! I was all about the Invincible-Number-Ones-Thriller-era, theres so much to read about Michaels eras and what he went through.

YES HE CANCELLED, he cancelled Dangerous tour. I had my tickets to watch MJ live, but due to the accusations THAT YEAR, and all the legal issues Michael Jackson got very sick and cancelled the tour.

OMG :cry: I had no idea!!! This is shit, at the top of his career they do this to him :cry: I remember when Number Ones came out, and the second alligations were made like that day or the next day after. Im so sorry Michael that everyone tried to bring you down when you were doing so well. :cry:

I do have a question about the case too but its kind of explicit....

I remember the official statement MJ made in 93 like it happened yesterday.... which is etched in my memory forever... such an awful time to remember.

poor baby had to go through so much. all because of GREED. I hope these people......

BillieJean84, whats your question? Maybe this can be the thread for those of us who knew very little about that period of time. Ive totally been neglecting this part of Michaels life, I never listen to the Dangerous album, I never look at videos from this era or even watch interviews or photos. So Im doing my research now.. I loved the NAACP speech Michael made after he came back from rehabilitation.

About the first alligations, did Michael appear alot in public or did he go into hiding when he was depressed? Im amazed at his strenght for coming back. I cant even imagine looking at the tabloids and the tv news and having crap talked about him, that time must have been awful.

good god i remember being 8 or 9 years old when michael made that statement on tv with the red shirt and i remember crying saying "this is not true" "leave him alone"

good god i remember being 8 or 9 years old when michael made that statement on tv with the red shirt and i remember crying saying "this is not true" "leave him alone"

TRAUMATIZED is the best way to describe it. I was traumatized and I didn't go through what he had to endure.

Yea... i remember vividly the red shirt... his face, his hair... awful!

The question is .. it involves what the kid testified to ; something about knowing the way MJs private part looked. Some ppl are really sick and if that kid somehow knew - he testified to knowing- that kid is really sick

i was the same age pez. i wasn't old enough to understand. i just remember my sister saying to people things like 'you don't think he did it do you?!' i didn't know what they were talking about but i DID know that he wouldn't have done anything bad.
i just don't understand why such a sweet, kind and loving person would be treated so badly. the world is so strange

I was 8 years old too when Michael made that statement, but I dont remember any of it. Infact I dont remember half of my childhood sadly. I do vaguely remember something about Michael being accused of horrible things but I cant recall thinking they were true because I had his cassette tapes and I looked up to him as if he was my father.

Ive got alot of questions about the 1992-1993 case with Michaels first accusor. I was too young when this happened so I wanted some info as Im watching lots of interviews at the moment...

Where was Michael when he first heard the alligations, what country?
I'm not sure, it began a week before he left for the tour I think. I'm talking about the police investigations. I think Michael was probably aware before that that there was a problem, but didn't want to nogotiate with that family.

Was he doing a tour when the alligations made headlines?
Yes he was beginning the second leg of the Dangerous tour in Asia.

He went on with the tour for a few months, 2 months I think, he cancelled a few shows. Stranger in Moscow was written at that time, and is about how he felt during that part of the tour. He eventually cancelled the end of the tour in early November, in Latin America.

If he was abroad, when did Michael return back to America for questioning?
He cancelled the tour, went to Europe in rehab for about a month, and came back to the US in early december.

He said on the tv-statement he had gotten treatment for his drugabuse, does anyone know where he got treatment, what state/country?
England, London area.

I saw the Diane Sawyer interview and Elizabeth Taylor said she visited Michael in Singapore, was he there during the tour or just for escapism?
During the tour.

When was the settlement finished, how many weeks/months after the alligations?
The settlement for the civil lawsuit was finalised in late January 94. The criminal investigation sort of "stopped" in November that year (94). Michael was not charged, the case remained open until the satute of limitations had run (99 I think).

Last edited:

BillieJean84, whats your question? Maybe this can be the thread for those of us who knew very little about that period of time. Ive totally been neglecting this part of Michaels life, I never listen to the Dangerous album, I never look at videos from this era or even watch interviews or photos. So Im doing my research now.. I loved the NAACP speech Michael made after he came back from rehabilitation.

About the first alligations, did Michael appear alot in public or did he go into hiding when he was depressed? Im amazed at his strenght for coming back. I cant even imagine looking at the tabloids and the tv news and having crap talked about him, that time must have been awful.

Michael did make an appearance at the NAACP awards after the allegations hit. He made a very, very strong statement at the awards show and it looked like so many people at the show were very supportive of Mike and had his back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK8dAlx2IHQ

Also, I am going to put this out there to shed some light on the question ^^ about Michael's private area (Mods, please delete my post if this is inappropriate). There has been heavy speculation that Michael was becoming romantically involved with June Chandler, the mother of the accuser and that Jordan and/or his father did not like that. When Michael went on tour and sort of put the relationship on hold (or was just not into her anymore), June got mad. So there is talk that she may have given info about Michael's genitals to Evan. But another theory is that when Michael would stay over at June's house, there was hidden cameras put in the bathrooms and Evan got footage of Michael in the bathroom.

The descriptions did not match Michael. But Michael still had to go through the pain and humiliation of a strip search and people taking pictures of his private parts. I just cannot imagine how he got through all of that, knowing how he is. :(

I'm not sure, it began a week before he left for the tour I think. I'm talking about the police investigations. I think Michael was probably aware before that that there was a problem, but didn't want to nogotiate with that family.

Yes he was beginning the second leg of the Dangerous tour in Asia.

He went on with the tour for a few months, 2 months I think, he cancelled a few shows. Stranger in Moscow was written at that time, and is about how he felt during that part of the tour. He eventually cancelled the end of the tour in early November, in Latin America.

He cancelled the tour, went in Europe in rehab for about a month, and came back to the US in early december.

England, London area.

During the tour.

The settlement for the civil lawsuit was finalised in late January 94. The criminal investigation sort of "stopped" in November that year (94). Michael was not charged, the case remained open until the satute of limitations had run (99 I think).

Thank you so very much for this information, I never knew any of this and this cleared up alot of questions I had, now I have more info about this era and what went on. If its true that Michael knew about this before he went on tour he must have felt horrible about it knowing the story was about to get out, if the pressure of touring wasnt enough.. then this happens. I wonder if Michael was ''traumatized'' by touring because of this...

Last edited:

The question is .. it involves what the kid testified to ; something about knowing the way MJs private part looked. Some ppl are really sick and if that kid somehow knew - he testified to knowing- that kid is really sick

He was 13 at the time, and we don't really know what he said exactly, and in what circumstances he did that.

All we know is that at some point he refused to collaborate with the investigation in 93 or 94, and he refused again to testify in 2005.

http://mjjr.net/content/mjcase/faq.html

go to the rumor vs facts part ....

Michael did make an appearance at the NAACP awards after the allegations hit. He made a very, very strong statement at the awards show and it looked like so many people at the show were very supportive of Mike and had his back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK8dAlx2IHQ

Also, I am going to put this out there to shed some light on the question ^^ about Michael's private area (Mods, please delete my post if this is inappropriate). There has been heavy speculation that Michael was becoming romantically involved with June Chandler, the mother of the accuser and that Jordan and/or his father did not like that. When Michael went on tour and sort of put the relationship on hold (or was just not into her anymore), June got mad. So there is talk that she may have given info about Michael's genitals to Evan. But another theory is that when Michael would stay over at June's house, there was hidden cameras put in the bathrooms and Evan got footage of Michael in the bathroom.

The descriptions did not match Michael. But Michael still had to go through the pain and humiliation of a strip search and people taking pictures of his private parts. I just cannot imagine how he got through all of that, knowing how he is. :(

Thank you for this information, whether is true or not its definitely interesting and I doubt that its fabricated. If the case was that Michael fell inlove with June and they did this out of revenge (and money since the father of the kid wanted to start a record lable..) its very sad, Michael was all about love and they tried to make him out to be a monster. I cringe and get teary eyed when I think about the pressure he was in, he was in the spotlight, at the height of his career, doing what he loved and this happened. People suck and I can never get over this.

Last edited:

He was 13 at the time, and we don't really know what he said exactly, and in what circumstances he did that.

All we know is that at some point he refused to collaborate with the investigation in 93 or 94, and he refused again to testify in 2005.

Its all too obvious it pisses me off when I think about it. The refusal of testifying is proof enough nothing happened. He was too ashamed to face Michael in court because he knew nothing happened. Same with that disgusting rat kid Arvizo, he refused to testify aswell. What a coward. Im so pissed Im loss for words.. Why cant Jordan be a man and come out and tell people the truth already?

He never really appeared much in public, so after the allegations it didn't change. I just remember the Neverland speech, and the NAACP awards.

I live in Europe, so I don't know how it was in the US. I think people here didn't really believe the allegations at first.

The settlement was misunderstood (we didn't have the internet back then, so the mainstream media were VERY powerful, it was more difficult to find information at that time).

As I said, the settlement was what changed the opinion back then : people didn't understand why he would pay if he was innocent. Especially if you don't understand the legal system and procedures in the US.

And the media at the time didn't really explain it either.

Its all too obvious it pisses me off when I think about it. The refusal of testifying is proof enough nothing happened.
Yes probably, I understand it this way too.

He was too ashamed to face Michael in court because he knew nothing happened.
I don't know, he never gave his reasons for refusing to testify and / or help with the investigation. The case is complicated, it's difficult for me to have an opinion about what Jordan did. We don't really know what he actually said, and in what circumstances he said these things.
I came to think that refusing to testify might be the "safest" way for him to say that nothing happened.
I would put the blame on Jordan's father, rather than Jordan himself. And the civil lawyers who helped him.

Same with that disgusting rat kid Arvizo, he refused to testify aswell. What a coward. Im so pissed Im loss for words.. Why cant Jordan be a man and come out and tell people the truth already?
They did testify. Their testimonies were so inconsistant that they really helped to get Michael aquitted : it was obvious they were lying.

I also want to point out that the settlement was NOT PAID OUT BY MICHAEL. It was actually paid out by Michael's insurance company. Michael did not know what to do and all of his advisors and Lisa Marie Presley (whom he was dating at the time) told him to settle the case to put it behind him. He just wanted the problem to go away.

FYI, I know that I am leaving out some important details that led to these decisions but I can't remember them off the top of my head. From what I remember reading, I think at first Michael wanted to go to trial to clear his name, but then his advisors told him that they didn't know how a jury in Southern California would judge him during this time (1993). This was only a few years after the Rodney King stuff that happened and Michael's team was worried about racism.

There is a thread that I frequent at another MJ forum where it's really 'no holds barred' and the members there are very analytical and knowledgeable. I've learned a lot of stuff there, but the thread is not specifically about the 1993 allegations.

Thank you so very much for this information, I never knew any of this and this cleared up alot of questions I had, now I have more info about this era and what went on. If its true that Michael knew about this before he went on tour he must have felt horrible about it knowing the story was about to get out, if the pressure of touring wasnt enough.. then this happens. I wonder if Michael was ''traumatized'' by touring because of this...

I'm glad it helps ! It's important to try and get objective information about this case, because there is a lot of misunderstanding about this.

You can search the forum here, and here are a few links for you :

http://floacist.wordpress.com/ that's an interesting blog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ5LixzZbak explanations by Thomas Mesereau

I don't think Michael was traumatised with touring because of that. He already said that he didn't want to tour anymore after the Bad tour.

But it must have been incredubly difficult to be on tour at that time.

I think he just didn't expect the 93 allegations to go that far. It's easy to accuse someone of anything.... proving it is another story.
In my opinion, he expected to be able to prove his innocence publicly. Which he couldn't do, because he was forced to settle the civil lawsuit and eventually there was no criminal trial.

Last edited:

Didn't he at first want to do the trial to prove to everyone he was innocent? Somehow I just wished he went through the trial and been proven innocent rather than paying it would had a better outcome on his rep.

Didn't he at first want to do the trial to prove to everyone he was innocent? Somehow I just wished he went through the trial and been proven innocent rather than paying it would had a better outcome on his rep.

he wanted to go to trial... otherwise he would have paid off evan chandler from the very beginning and no one would have heard about it.

but i think the issue was that .... there would have been two trials. a civil and the trial by the state.

the civil was suppose to precede the the criminal trial which could have been bad as whatever was said /testified in that case could have been used in the criminal trial.

to go ahead with civil first and then criminal meant that the prosecution would have had an unfair advantage it seems is part of the reason why the case was settled.

i hope that made sense.

also.... mike didn't settle the lawsuit the insurance company did.

just a mess!

Sorry, I edited my previous post while you were posting... I think, he wanted to go to trial, but as mjjfan4ever said, he couldn't.

It's obvious now that he shouldn't have settled. But at the time, given the circumstances and the timeline, it was not that obvious.

There is a thread that I frequent at another MJ forum where it's really 'no holds barred' and the members there are very analytical and knowledgeable. I've learned a lot of stuff there, but the thread is not specifically about the 1993 allegations.

Could you post / PM me the link ? I am VERY interested ! thanks !

Sorry, I edited my previous post while you were posting... I think, he wanted to go to trial, but as mjjfan4ever said, he couldn't.

It's obvious now that he shouldn't have settled. But at the time, given the circumstances and the timeline, it was not that obvious.

yea... i always thought "well they should have gone to trial"... but then came to realize it wasn't that simple.

i don't know. i wish 93 had never happened.

Back