J5: I Want You Back! Unreleased Masters (The Official Thread)

Marty In LA

Proud Member
Universal Music Group's Motown division has released a 'new' J5 album entitled Jackson 5: I Want You Back! The Unreleased Masters. It contains 12 previously unreleased and alternate versions of classic J5 songs.

This thread will be devoted to the discussion of this CD’s songs, vocals, production and value to MJ fans.

Sample some of the songs here.

J5UM.jpg

Marty In LA

Last edited:
My review:

Of the 12 tracks found on IWYB!-UM 8 are never before released J5 songs, and 2 of them were written by Curtis Mayfield (Man’s Temptation) and Stevie Wonder (Buttercup). The classic J5 bubblegum soul energy we remember from the early 1970’s is there on tracks like ‘That’s How Love Is’, ‘Love Call’ and a very enjoyable ‘Lucky Day’.

4 tracks are alternate versions of J5 hits that collectors will want in their music library. The CD opens with a studio recorded medley of the J5 songs ‘I Want You Back/ABC/The Love You Save’, then follows with ‘ABC ‘, and in this version we hear little MJ call out during the songs bridge, ‘Repeat after me! Say A! Say B! Say C!’. Then there’s ‘Dancing Machine’. Not only does it offer a completely different vocal take and mix, but it runs at 4:25, far longer than the original 2:30 version we’ve grown up with. Frankly this track steals the whole spotlight of IWYB!-UM for me. It begins with a coin operated computerized female voice saying, ‘Thank you master for turning me on’ and then MJ and his brothers take off from there.

Many fans have been waiting to hear MJ sing Stevie Wonder’s ‘Buttercup’ on CD and no doubt it will become a beloved track. MJ’s teenage vocals are satisfying throughout, a fine piece of mid-70’s soul with Stevie playing on keyboards.

I recommend J5: IWYB! UM for MJ fans and especially collectors, in many respects it is a better overall release than the dry ‘Stripped Mixes’ and the poor ‘Remix Suite’ projects.While you won’t find any major ‘new’ hits, there’s still plenty here for MJ fans to appreciate and savor.

Marty In LA

Last edited:
What do you think of J5: IWYB! UM?

What songs sound good to you?

What's your favorite alternate version here?

What do you think of Stevie Wonder's 'Buttercup?

Is this CD worth buying to you?

Marty In LA

Last edited:
Great review Marty! I really like BUTTERCUP and I think anything
I havent heard from the J5 is def worth buying. It's out today but
I'm getting it tomorrow. :)

It begins with a coin operated computerized female voice saying,
‘Thank you master for turning me on’ and then MJ and his brothers take off from there.
Sounds gooooood! Cant wait to hear this and all the rest of them too!

My highlights:

Buttercup is a REALLY GOOD SONG! It's a crime that it wasn't released earlier. Any word on what album this song was intended for? It is now in my rotation...

...that being said.

Hands down, Dancing Machine is the highlight...it's FUNKY AS HELL!!! I am amazed by the quality of the content that eventually went to the cutting room floor. I really like the extended portion at the end, Michael doing additional adlibbing, awesome! This alternate version is way better than the version that was eventually released.

I'm trying to cut down on CD purchases until after Christmas--but I'm really bummed that I picked up Remix Suite instead of passing on that in order to get this one. I'll definitely get it eventually so I'm glad to hear it's good.

The 'Dancing machine' extended edit is indeed the highlight of the album for me too. I always thought the original version was too short, anyway. OOh baby! Do it baby!

I bought my CD today! :D I love it!
Faves thus far:
Man's Temptation
Listen I'll Tell You How
I'll Try You'll Try

And the alternates are great! I'm so glad I bought it.
I can tell I'll be playing it a lot.....right along with TII!

then follows with ‘ABC ‘, and in this version we hear little MJ call out during the songs bridge, ‘Repeat after me! Say A! Say B! Say C!’
There was a CD released a few years ago called Motown Remixed that uses the vocals from this version.

This album is really amazing. I love the new alternate versions, especially for "ABC." My favorites of the new songs

Buttercup
Man's Temptation
That's How Love Is
Listen I'll Tell You How
Love Call
I'll Try You Try (Maybe We'll All Get By)

'Man's Temptation' is one of 2 songs on 'I Want You Back! Unreleased Masters' that seem out of character for the J5. The songs theme deals with a married man contemplating unfaithfulness. Recorded in 1970, it just didn't belong in the J5's catalog, what with upbeat, optimistic tunes like 'The Love You Save', 'I'll Be There' and 'ABC'. Mr. Gordy was right in keeping this track buried in the archives. However some 40 years later we're glad it was made available to us.

Personally, I hear little MJ straining in the second and third chorus', his voice in 1970 just couldn't deliver the emotional impact that Curtis Mayfield intended. The song would have been better served for a mature voice like that of Jerry Butler, Billy Paul, William Bell or even Donny Hathaway.

Even so, it's an interesting track for the J5.

Marty In LA

Last edited:
Yes, thats what I've learned about Man's Temptation.
Which is considered this albums "Who's loving You".
Berry Gordy thought that this track went against the squeaky clean
image of the talented and popular group of brothers.
It really is a little too "grown up" for the group's age at the time.
But like you Marty, I'm glad we get to hear it now.

I really love this CD. I play it all the time. Learned all the lyrics without written lyrical help.
Which leads me to say this: Some of those lyrics posted are wrong! Lol!
"Man's Temptation" as well as "Listen I'll Tell You How" are my top faves on it. But I love 'em all! ^_^

Thanks Marty.

just ordered it from cd wow.

Hope to recieve it soon.

I'm surprised fans are not interested in this CD. It's really a cool album and in my opinion the best MJ release this year.

Dancing Machine is flawless, That's How Love Is is really a good track too.

And I love I'll Try, You'll Try - Tito's vocals are hilarious :p

I bought this after hearing the new EPIC Dancing Machine version....

I have to say, the album is AWESOME!

Just got mine, love it, so good to hear young Michael singing!

I thought more fans would talk about it too... hey it's unreleased songs that MJ's singing!!

I'm glad that people are appreciating this album, at least here :)
Still have it on replay 24/7.

People BUY IT, it has one of the best Jackson 5 songs ever made, such are :
Listen I'll tell you how, That's how love is, Man's temptation, Lucky day... actualy all are great and Iam not even huge fan of J5.

Back