Think back to 1991...

kottur13

Proud Member
When Dangerous was released...

What was it like at school, college, work or wherever you were at the time?

Was it highly anticipated? Was everyone talking about it all the time?

Stuff like that...

I wouldn't know because I was -2 years old.

remember watching the B or W premiere on top of the pops an mj video release was always huge even if u didnt really class yourself as a fan.other than that dont really remember much as i wasnt what u would call a huge fan at that point.remember watching the oprah interview and hearing mjs music played on the school bus remember jam for some reason and sometimes the coach had a tv on it and guess it was showing mtv alot cause the video for will u be there from the mtv anniversary show was always on. remember buying cassette singles of alot of the singles b4 i bought the album

Last edited:
I almost start to cry when being reminded that I wasnt born or old enough to understand to expierence the eras.. It must have been so much fun.

i remember all the idiots having a go at school, they had a newspaper in and were like look at his face etc etc..

I don't remember either, 'cuz I wasn't around :lol: It was 2 years too early for me :giggle:

Man, it must have been such a thrill knowing all the hype around for the album :eek:mg: I wish I was around for that.

Last edited:
:(
I was born that year.
*sigh* I wish I could of been around for the release as it's my fave album

I remember my sister had the album and she played it non-stop to me when I was older and told me I could never touch the CD incase I lost it :lol:

I was about.....5 months old.

My mum did say it reminds her a bit of when I was a baby :)

I became a fan in 1990, I fell in love with Dirty Diana and Smooth Criminal.. I was only 10 in 1991, but what I remember is people (my age anyway) was like "Michael Jackson is sooo yesterday, my parents/older siblings liked him" until Black Or White came out, and then everyone was suddenly into him, and wanted my MJ t-shirt :p:lol:

I was at school back then and yes, sure, there was a lot of anticipation, everybody was wondering what Dangerous would be like. Then the B&W video came out and well... you know, it was a major issue and there was all this negative talk about its violence, etc. So in my little country they show the uncensored version and then only the "short" version. The video was a hit, but Remember the time was even BIGGER and BETTER! For B&W we were all amazed by the morphing thing, which was so new back then. To have Mac in the video was also a major thing. Besides all these, you had all the anticipation about Michael's appearance.

"How would he look now?" a MAJOR concern... and once the video was release people were all surprised.... "Now he IS white!!!!! That is why he sings "It doesn't matter if your are black or white"!!!! :eek:"

So it was difficult, since people (media) would focous so much on his appearance and the "violence" of B&W.

But it was a GREAT time anyway!! That was the time I became really interested in Michael, that was the first cassette I got from him (yes!! a cassette, I still have it :)) The whole Dangerous concept was incredible. It's cover!! Full of hidden surprises. I remember people on TV or the radio discussing abou the meaning of each item. "The number 7 is for..." "Then you have Bubbles here..." "And this child..."

How many times would you hear B&W on the radio? Some 1000 times a week. Maybe more :D It was on top of all charts (at least in my country) and it was ALL about Michael Jackson. Back then there was a music program on TV and MJ would have 3 or 4 hits on its top 20.

And then... Dangerous tour made the impossible come true. He came to our country, so far, far away from everywhere :) and the Michaelmania was completely out of control. So Dangerous is MY Michael golden time!!

I was at school back then and yes, sure, there was a lot of anticipation, everybody was wondering what Dangerous would be like. Then the B&W video came out and well... you know, it was a major issue and there was all this negative talk about its violence, etc. So in my little country they show the uncensored version and then only the "short" version. The video was a hit, but Remember the time was even BIGGER and BETTER! For B&W we were all amazed by the morphing thing, which was so new back then. To have Mac in the video was also a major thing. Besides all these, you had all the anticipation about Michael's appearance.

"How would he look now?" a MAJOR concern... and once the video was release people were all surprised.... "Now he IS white!!!!! That is why he sings "It doesn't matter if your are black or white"!!!! :eek:"

So it was difficult, since people (media) would focous so much on his appearance and the "violence" of B&W.

But it was a GREAT time anyway!! That was the time I became really interested in Michael, that was the first cassette I got from him (yes!! a cassette, I still have it :)) The whole Dangerous concept was incredible. It's cover!! Full of hidden surprises. I remember people on TV or the radio discussing abou the meaning of each item. "The number 7 is for..." "Then you have Bubbles here..." "And this child..."

How many times would you hear B&W on the radio? Some 1000 times a week. Maybe more :D It was on top of all charts (at least in my country) and it was ALL about Michael Jackson. Back then there was a music program on TV and MJ would have 3 or 4 hits on its top 20.

And then... Dangerous tour made the impossible come true. He came to our country, so far, far away from everywhere :) and the Michaelmania was completely out of control. So Dangerous is MY Michael golden time!!

Mine too :yes::heart: And yeah I agree with the rest of your post, it was like that here too. I guess everywhere really..

ETA: While on the subject of controversy, I'll never forget the "What on earth is Michael Jackson wearing? Is it a swimsuit, is it a fill in the blank..etc" in 1992... :lol:

I was just a toddler! But growing up, everyone I knew prayed at the church of MJ ;) so the release of dangerous was a biiig deal where I lived.

Mine too :yes::heart: And yeah I agree with the rest of your post, it was like that here too. I guess everywhere really..

ETA: While on the subject of controversy, I'll never forget the "What on earth is Michael Jackson wearing? Is it a swimsuit, is it a fill in the blank..etc" in 1992... :lol:

Weeee!! Great!! So we are "Sisters of era" :D

Do you mean his golden suit for Dangerous tour? That was strange for me...

Ohhh... and what about "Remember the time" and...THE KISS!!!! :eek:
it was THE kiss!!! And people were like.... WHAAAAAAAAATTT???? Did they really kiss each other???? Did she kiss him?? OMG!!!! :O
Worldwide shock. First "real" MJ kiss on the screen. Then "others" came...

And when we thought it was such a shock, Mike came out with "In the closet" ... and if people hated Iman... then it all turned against Naomi!! What a sexy video!!!

Last edited:
Weeee!! Great!! So we are "Sisters of era" :D

Do you mean his golden suit for Dangerous tour? That was strange for me...
surprised.gif

Ohhh... and what about "Remember the time" and...THE KISS!!!! :eek:
it was THE kiss!!! And people were like.... WHAAAAAAAAATTT???? Did they really kiss each other???? Did she kiss him?? OMG!!!!
ththstunned.gif

Worldwide shock. First "real" MJ kiss on the screen. Then "others" came...

And when we thought it was such a shock, Mike came out with "In the closet" ... and if people hated Iman... then it all turned against Naomi!! What a sexy video!!!
mood_nervous.gif

Haha, yeah it was strange for everybody.. :lol:

For me the sexiest vid was Give In To Me... that part where he opens his mouth.... I know I was young and all, but I was hypnotized by it.. :wild:

Lots of good memories..I was only 6 years old but I remember that time very well. wish I had a time machine

I remember that Moonwalker was actually still quite popular around that time over here in Sweden - it had hit the satellite cable networks and they aired it like 2 times a month for 1-2 years, haha.

I was in second garde when Dangerous was released, and it wasn't many people around my age that were fans at school - most people that even were into music were into Metallica and rock stuff.
Those who weren't into music were into TV shows like Beverly Hills 90210, Baywatch, Zorro or cartoons. (I was a huuuge Turtles fan :D)
People like me who were born in 83 really didn't get into music until around that time anyway - most kids don't really have any favourite artists unless your parents have introduced them to you - they just listen to anything the TV or radio plays.

What I remember from that time was that MTV had a lot of coverage for the release, and they showed how they went from store to store talking to retailers. (I think I've seen that footage floating around on this board or on youtube somewhere)
What I remember from Black & White was that the media made a havoc of the panther dance sequence with Michael touching himself - and the same time they really started with that "oh so he is white now, then why is he singing about it doesn't matter if your black or white?".
Everything around that particular time are all very vague memories for me - but we as fans had an amazing year ahead of us with Michael releasing video after video.
I mean, you didn't even have time to get bored with a video until he released the next one - and just when you thought it couldn't get any better, Michael decides to air the Dangerous Tour in 92 on satellite TV.
That was a point when many people in my school became fans, it was like "Did you see that concert the other night?!"
But now I'm getting ahead of the topic, so I'm gonna stop there - I hope some people come in here and refresh my memory about the release :)

Last edited:
Same here moon! I was just a rambuncious 2 year old and wish I was born in 50/60's. The days were better!

I was only 2.
Why couldn't I have been born in the 50's...or 60's?:lol:

So basically, you're really a "newmoon"?! :rolleyes:
( Sorry I just had to :lol: )

Y'all should be glad you weren't born in the 50's or 60's - you'd be having other issues right now instead :lol:
But the music - I'm glad I still got to experience a couple of years of at least semi-pure music on the radio, before it really started going to hell in the mid 90's.

I bet those who could hear ABC and I'll Be There on the radio are pretty upset set about that "Prince crap" they played in the 80's and 90's though :lol:

EDIT: Oh how stupid I am - it's those who we're born in the 50's and especially 60's that probably really were into Prince :lol:

Last edited:
I wish i lived in that time, i was born in 1995.
Dangerous is like my favorite era, and i wasn't even born yet.
My brothers and my father told so many stories about that time, when my brothers school was all hooked up on Jam, Black or White and all the other songs.
and the concerts my father went to and all that. :)

I wish i lived in that time, to experience all of those great times :)

I was born in 1988 but I still remember very vividly the atmosphere back in 1991. Not particularly the Dangerous album but just that whole grunge movement of the early 90s. And MJ of those days I felt, looking back ofcourse, was different from the 80s MJ. He had more of a rock edge to him. The Dangerous album is truly a work of art. Especially the album cover which continues to amaze me to this day. I wish we could have a thread regarding the making of that album and the events/hype that took place during that time.

And regarding MJ's Dangerous tour outfit, lool..I remember when I first showed my mom the bucharest concert she was just like.."uhhh..what is he wearing exactly? :lol:" she had been used to a more "conservative" mj look like from the bad tour/era :D.

And regarding MJ's Dangerous tour outfit, lool..I remember when I first showed my mom the bucharest concert she was just like.."uhhh..what is he wearing exactly? :lol:" she had been used to a more "conservative" mj look like from the bad tour/era :D.

Haha that was truly a WTF moment - and that really didn't help stopping the gay rumours neither, especially doing that awkward crotch grab in WBSS in that leotard :lol:

I love Michael Bush's work, but that leotard is really whack :D

Well...I was born. I resent my parents for not having had me earlier ...like

maybe sometime during the 70's so I could fully experience the MJ hype back in the 80's!!!
Yeah that would have been nice lol.

Haha, yeah it was strange for everybody.. :lol:

For me the sexiest vid was Give In To Me... that part where he opens his mouth.... I know I was young and all, but I was hypnotized by it.. :wild:

auuuuu!!!!
Well... back then I was too young to really understand what "sexy" was hahahaha!! LOL!! I just fully understood the concept way later. I liked "In the closet", but Remember the time was incredible. If we had been shocked by the morphing in BOW, the trick of MJ throwing this black sand, stepping on it, dissapearing and then appearing out of gold... amazing!! I was so, so surprised! The video is sooo good. I loved Smooth Criminal, but Remember the time got me crazy.

... and you can tell how many times I tried and tried to make the dance of RTT... and my results were... ok, I am better at drinking water :D

remember watching the B or W premiere on top of the pops an mj video release was always huge even if u didnt really class yourself as a fan.other than that dont really remember much as i wasnt what u would call a huge fan at that point

Yup, the Black and white premiere sticks out the most.

back then my folks did not have cable(which really sucked)so no music channels. but it was so interesting how Michaels videos used to premiere in regular prime-time. i forgot what channel it was on,...maybe FOX? that was so huge to premiere his videos like that.(and unique compared to other artists. i really, really miss those days. Everyone got to know his art form even without MTV, and became fans. that's how huge this man was, ...is.
i also remember Michael and macualy culkin being in the news with being friends, haha, i was this huge fan of 'home alone' as a kid and thought mac was so adorable (particularly since we were around the same age then, and michael was hot, so i thought that was pretty cool that they hung out. lmao. god. i was such a little girl then.
and that album! oooooooh i bought it on cassette tape and played it over and over and over again. i really miss the 80's and 90's with michaelmania. i can't stress that enough, it was the last good era's in america. im so happy i was atleast old enough to remember bits of that time and become a fan really early.

I was 14-15 at this time. I still remember "MJ's parties" in my home, "Moonwalker", bad quality videos from MTV and the dances on the table and the lipsticks signs on big poster on the door of my room :angel:. When I got the Dangerous album I was like in heaven and listened again and again. It was incredible. And remember how me and my friend kept a tape of the B or W video in my cupboard. I waited for Dangerous tour and had a dream to see Michael live but my parents didin't allow me to go to the Germany to the concert. So I saw him later... I was soo disapointed at this time and was almost crazy from all excerpts of the concerts i had at this time .

P.S. I lived in just collapsed USSR at this time and it wasn't easy to get the stuff regarding MJ at this time. Bzz he was the enemy of "soviet society" .

Last edited:
Dangerous was an event - everyone was awaiting the video & music.

I was in NYC, was 20 years old at the time, and my friends & I went over a friend's house & watched the premiere of B & W. SPECTACULAR video, and stands the test of time.

And when the CD dropped, we all bought it & played it out - we all were fawning at how CUTE MJ looked & melting over "Remember the Time"

Then when the "Remember the Time" video came out - OMG. Massive girly fan explosion. We all wanted to learn the choreography and when we'd go out clubbing, we'd bust the Remember the TIme choreography and have giggle fits each time one of us would bust a move.

Good times - GREAT MUSIC.

It always makes me smile when I hear people say I was born in 1991 or 1995, for some reason I find it to be so cute lool :lol: I don't know why..maybe because it makes me feel old..like hey i remember that year lol. And kids 9 and under have all been born in 200- something..that's crazy! Do older fans feel that way about people born in the 80s like myself?

Haha that was truly a WTF moment - and that really didn't help stopping the gay rumours neither, especially doing that awkward crotch grab in WBSS in that leotard :lol:

I love Michael Bush's work, but that leotard is really whack :D

Absolutely!!
Anyway, what was the idea behind it? LOL :D
Yes, yes... MJ was a different MJ from the one of the 80's.
Besides the leotard, when I think of MJ-90's, I have this image of him wearing his fedora, red shirt and black pants. Almost like a uniform!

It always makes me smile when I hear people say I was born in 1991 or 1995, for some reason I find it to be so cute lool :lol: I don't know why..maybe because it makes me feel old..like hey i remember that year lol. And kids 9 and under have all been born in 200- something..that's crazy! Do older fans feel that way about people born in the 80s like myself?

My daughter was born in 1996. She grown up with MJ's music and video and even cant imagine life without him. But I notice how many her friends find Michael only now and feel sad like "why we were born sooo late, why we haven't any opportunity to see his concert ?". But I'm so happy about this great interest of teenagers now.

Back