Michael Jackson Estate Executors Banking On Music Catalog

ginvid

Proud Member
Looking to up the value on a huge asset...

Michael Jackson's estate co-executors, John Branca and John McClain, are looking to substantially raise the value of the heavily-collateralized MIJAC Music Catalog.

The Catalog, valued earlier this year at around $100 million, was used by Michael Jackson to secure at least two big loans.

According to TMZ, Branca and McClain have entered into negotiations with a bank to restructure the two loans with more favorable terms, which would save the estate a fortune.

http://www.411mania.com/music/news/...Estate-Executors-Banking-On-Music-Catalog.htm

http://www.tmz.com/2009/12/21/micha...-catalog-john-branca-john-mcclain-legal-docs/

I don't know what this is considered in terms of tabloid or not; But this is fyi.

Edit: I have also included the TMZ link. (Thanks Darmin!)

Last edited:
It's from TMZ originally so just alter your link and you'll be fine.

Will this mess with the terms of the trust and the paying of off the debt
It has nothing to do with the terms of the trust
Branca and McClain have entered into negotiations with a bank to restructure the two loans
with more favorable terms, which would save the estate a fortune.

very good,that catalogue worth a lot more then 100 millions...

yes its his songs but it also includes loads of others from the likes of jackie wilson to sly stone

It has nothing to do with the terms of the trust
Branca and McClain have entered into negotiations with a bank to restructure the two loans
with more favorable terms, which would save the estate a fortune.

cool I thought they were going to refinance and start over on the repayment and anyways the best part of it is that it is managed by Warner music so Sony does not have any control over it well at least when the masters revert back

Last edited:
I read in an article by Fox News that the catalog went back to Sony in 2008 and Michael would get about 6 million a year from it which wasn't much in MJ terms. Don't know if that's true but that's what the article said. I wondered if that is why he was forced to do so many concerts.

all sides will clean and i wouldn't be surprised once the loot starts rolling in even more expect some more hands coming for loans. it's gonna be a whole lotta green

I read in an article by Fox News that the catalog went back to Sony in 2008 and Michael would get about 6 million a year from it which wasn't much in MJ terms. Don't know if that's true but that's what the article said. I wondered if that is why he was forced to do so many concerts.

that's not true. MJ never relinquished the catalogue. Sony paid him to merge the catalogue with him. they paid in excess of ninety million dollars for the privelege. it's 50/50 between him and Sony. It was his, and they couldn't take it from him. He initially invested in it. He had no need to tour. it's like anything else that someone invests in, or buys. once an investor invests, no one can take the property from the investor.

if someone tried to take property from an investor, they'd be Bernie Madoff, and would deserve what Bernie Madoff got. Jail time.

that's not true. MJ never relinquished the catalogue. Sony paid him to merge the catalogue with him. they paid in excess of ninety million dollars for the privelege.

What would this mean for Michael? Would he still own all rights? :unsure:

Never mind. Just read your edit. Thanks ;)

Mijac Publishing WAS NEVER under Sony....

Michael owned more than one publishing company...

Mijac - is 100% owned by Michael and was never merged with any
company.. but Warner handles the everyday administration
but owned fully by Michael

ATV- was merged with Sony and that catalog has Beatles songs..
its now Sony/ATV .. the 50/50 merger with Sony

Peacock- is own by Michael and his brothers

Miran - owned by Michael and Randy..

Michael was the biggest private publisher ...and with his death the value of his Mijac Publishing company is going up in value.... in no time.. it might surpass the value of the Beatles....

remember every Christmas and Holloween... Michael's voice will be heard by everyone on the planet... so any artistic thing he did in his lifetime will be valueable...

What would this mean for Michael? Would he still own all rights? :unsure:
the merged it. the own it 50/50%. sony merged their sony publishing with the atv cat (mikes) sony paid mj to do it as the ATV was worth more so mj would make a loss in the very short term so sony paid him

Mijac Publishing WAS NEVER under Sony....

Michael owned more than one publishing company...

Mijac - is 100% owned by Michael and was never merged with any
company.. but Warner handles the everyday administration
but owned fully by Michael

ATV- was merged with Sony and that catalog has Beatles songs..
its now Sony/ATV .. the 50/50 merger with Sony

Peacock- is own by Michael and his brothers

Miran - owned by Michael and Randy..

Michael was the biggest private publisher ...and with his death the value of his Mijac Publishing company is going up in value.... in no time.. it might surpass the value of the Beatles....

remember every Christmas and Holloween... Michael's voice will be heard by everyone on the planet... so any artistic thing he did in his lifetime will be valueable...

Funny how with all this everyone from the entire Media to everyone in entertainment, Frank Dileo, Forbes, RollingStone, ect... claimed he was broke and $400 million in debt. With nothing ever said about the facts stated in the above quote.

Question: Why was this lie propagated for 16 years?

How could he ever not have money? Notice how fast everything is all roses now that he's dead; very convenient. John Branca & Sony must be grinning from ear to ear 24/7.

Funny how with all this everyone from the entire Media to everyone in entertainment, Frank Dileo, Forbes, RollingStone, ect... claimed he was broke and $400 million in debt. With nothing ever said about the facts stated in the above quote.

How could he ever not have money? Notice how fast everything is all roses now that he's dead; very convenient. John Branca & Sony must be grinning from ear to ear 24/7.

great point...fascinating how the estate became solvent soooooooo fast...(a couple months)
you see the image of w.a.c.k.o had to be kept up and propelled...

the public was made to believe that he owed millions to the bank for years and years and that the loans were for his crazy "spending"...see the irony...

it couldn't be that he did what other corporations did ...do loans to make investments (he kept building his publishing )...

heaven forbid they acknowledged that he made smart decisions on business...

all I know is that when I hear Elvis,Beatles, Lady Gaga, Akon, Beyonce, Neyo and many more...I am happy that Michael's children will be earning $$$

Because when MJ was alive he spent it faster than it was coming in. He paid cash for Neverland and then later borrowed against the property so he no longer owned it outright. He borrowed against the Music catalog also. This is how he got himself financially in a pickle.

When the bank or another business owns half of something, you no longer own it totally and owe them money. Simple finances.

Because when MJ was alive he spent it faster than it was coming in. He paid cash for Neverland and then later borrowed against the property so he no longer owned it outright. He borrowed against the Music catalog also. This is how he got himself financially in a pickle.

When the bank or another business owns half of something, you no longer own it totally and owe them money. Simple finances.

I have read that his debt was not because of crazy spending, but from acquisitions to further his business interests as was said. Also he was never completely in debt, his assets far outweighed his debt. however, he was cash poor.

Of course his spendiong habits did not help the situation he was in, but they always try to make it seem like he was out of control. If what I said even makes sense. I don't know. It's late.:)

Looking to up the value on a huge asset...

Michael Jackson's estate co-executors, John Branca and John McClain, are looking to substantially raise the value of the heavily-collateralized MIJAC Music Catalog.

The Catalog, valued earlier this year at around $100 million, was used by Michael Jackson to secure at least two big loans.

According to TMZ, Branca and McClain have entered into negotiations with a bank to restructure the two loans with more favorable terms, which would save the estate a fortune.

http://www.411mania.com/music/news/...Estate-Executors-Banking-On-Music-Catalog.htm

http://www.tmz.com/2009/12/21/micha...-catalog-john-branca-john-mcclain-legal-docs/

I don't know what this is considered in terms of tabloid or not; But this is fyi.

Edit: I have also included the TMZ link. (Thanks Darmin!)

Very very interesting. This answers a very important question for me.:yes:

(playing TDRCAU on my system)

Its not all roses and no one ever said it was. This is why they are restructuring the loans. The interest rates are too high. This is why Michael kept running into problems. You take out a loan and then you have to pay it back. You can't keep borrowing Peter to pay Paul and not end up in dept. Just because you drive out of the showroom with a brand new car doesn't mean it is paid off. Try it and don't pay the loan and see who really owns that car pretty fast.

I love how you bash Branca and McClain every chance you get and call them thieves when the fact of the matter is, they are SUPER businessmen and Michael was wise to have them where he does. He chose them for just that reason.

Anyone can understand that if he mortgaged Neverland he no longer owned it and the value may be whatever it is, but he would never get that entire amount as his debts would need to be paid off from the property first. Thats how it works.

Be glad Branca is there and now working to reduce the interest rate on the loans which will save the estate hundreds of thousands of dollars or more and work at getting that debt down.

the interest rates were high because it was Michael Jackson, and people wanted to take advantage of him, because he had so much success and all that money not because he had bad business practices. if his money wasn't so attractive to them, and they didn't have bulging dollar signs in their eyes, then they wouldn't have charged such great rates. and if he wasn't successful, in business, they wouldn't have approved any loans for him, in the first place. he left neverland because he hated it, not because he could not manage it. just because MJ says something, quietly, in voluntary fashion, that doesn't mean that it's not believable

branca and mcclain are banking on something that was MJ's idea almost twenty years ago.

if people were in a position to own that 'new car' 'so fast', for as long as the media has been saying so, over the last fifteen years...the car should have been owned 15 years ago.

like i said in another post, MJ's been in business 45 years, through many generations, bad and good economies, and artists who went bankrupt, died broke, for whom MJ paid the funeral expenses. you can't say that MJ suddenly became stupid. i find it funny that it's easier to believe that MJ is always in trouble, but still standing, financially, while others are never talked about, and are going out of business, everyday.

it's baffling how the media can say that something standing for so long, is falling for so long, and can be convincing. and i find it interesting that the antagonists in the media have been part of their own bad economy, and still, somehow the media could be convincing.

no matter how many times the media says the sky is green, it is still blue. MJ always had collateral, he always had backup, he always had assets. and he had creative vision. and now, that MJ is gone, the lawyers come across as scared.

suddenly they're pulling stuff off of youtube channels.

there is a difference between good debt and bad debt. so..MJ was never in debt. and still isn't.
he was just not into liquid, like a lot of foolish, now dead, businesses were.

if MJ was financially stupid, there would be no estate right now, that everybody wants a piece of. it would have been gone more than fifteen years ago, if the media was right.

when a person makes a financial mistake, they go bankrupt in a hurry. (just ask the other dead businesses and bankrupt artists) Michael Jackson never went bankrupt, in 45 years. therefore he's in no danger of it, now. the only thing that the antagonists had to accuse him of, is 'over'spending. those people forgot that you have to spend money to make money.

right now, the padres baseball team is bankrupt. they weren't into 'overspending'.
if 'overspending' is in their vocabulary, they're likely to go bankrupt.

you have to spend money to make money. MJ was accused of not knowing the meaning of the word 'budget'. his empire is still standing. those who use the term 'overspending' are already bankrupt.

Last edited:

This is BS.

In 2007 the value of the catalogue was $30 Billion!!!

I wait and watch, as do many of us. . . . . So far, I'm not that impressed. What is primary is the legacy, not the money at all-costs. The release of the TII song was ill-advised and badly researched, and i doubt that Michael would released it. I also am concerned that the executors seem adversarial with the family. If the family wants to see the autopsy results, that is their right as human-beings and relatives, regardless of what anyone might think of Joseph.. or Jermaine. The executors have blocked that. It is NECESSARY for the family to have the results, if they are to launch a "wrongful death" lawsuit. I'm concerned that the executors know that, and have blocked it. We wait, and watch.

I don't know what the entire will reads like. What I do hope for is that when they come of age, that PP & B can take control. They are great kids, and will be responsible adults. I hope that the will reads that they will have the same kind of control that LMP has over her own father's legacy. I hope the will is REAL, and if it is, I hope Michael trusted his children that much. I would expect that he did?

can someone explain a little bit more, sorry, im confused (i think many of us are)

when you turn on the radio, there is a seventy five percent chance that MJ owns the publishing of the song to which you are listening, whether it's written and sung by him, or someone else. he owns more than one catalogue. Taylor Swift is the talk of the media. MJ owns her publshing. so..MJ was financially fine, before June 25. and the lawyers are now saying that they are banking on something MJ knew about 20 years ago. he bought it almost 20 years ago. and lots of artists signed their publishing over to him, ever since, to add to the many classic songs already in the catalogue. the beatles are just a small part of that catalogue. if you scroll up this thread and look for the siggy to the member known as 'Rasta Pasta', you will see an explanation of the joint venture between Sony and MJ's catalogues. as of last count, MJ owns the rights to over 750 thousand songs, not counting his own. publishing is where the most money is. and MJ had the money to spend, because he was willing to spend the money. the more money spent, the more money made. he invested big money in a catalogue that Paul McCartney was not willing to spend. and the rest is HIStory. it doesn't matter how much money you spend, if money is always rolling in.

Last edited:
Back