Quick question about Man In The Mirror

kristinaz

Proud Member
I was just wondering did Michael ever sing the song fully live? I know his adlibs were def live. I know this has been posted before but I tried searching and couldn't find the thread talking about it, so I'm sorry for posting it again. Thanks in advance!

Thanks you guys! And Go Flying that was a great piece of info , I had no idea!

Last edited:
I've got this little gem, that I found from Youtube, no video, but the sound speaks for it's self, Man in the Mirror sung 'live' from Wembley, just pure magic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n68y9sSjCXo

Only the very first bit of that is live. Then its lip synched again up until around 3:58.

The only thing that makes it any different from other Man in the Mirror perofmances is that the first bit is live.

I can only speak first hand for Bad Wembley but first a little general background info:

Most singers when they lipsync or mime are actually singing full voice when they are miming or lipsyncing - it's kind of like they are only able to accurately lip sync by actually singing along. Mike was no exception.

Now, the microphone that Mike is singing into is obviously a real mic but the outfront (front of house) sound mixer who controls what the audience hears has completely turned down that microphone and turned up the tape (or synclavier or protools) track that Mike is lipsyncing to - so the audience is listening to the lipsync (prerecorded) vocal.

With me so far?

However, when you have a live recording or remote truck setup - the truck might be fortunate enough to get a discrete (individual) feed of BOTH the live microphone AND the prerecorded track. If those discrete feeds are then recorded onto seperate/individual tracks of a multitrack, then when it comes to mixing the multitrack to produce a stereo mix of the concert, the mix engineer has the possibility of listening to (and choosing to favour) either the live vocal or the prerecorded track(or possibly both). Essentially the multitrack tape contains both Mike's live vocal and also the prerecorded vocal track.

I can tell you that Mike did indeed sing out almost everything for Bad Wembley July 14th & 16th although he was sounding pretty breathless (as anyone would naturally expect) toward the very end of the concert.
wow- I didn't know all of that! thanks :yes:

thanks for the link this is my favorite MJ song :)

WOW maybe there's hope for live vocals the history tour too! i.e. "beat it" live sydney 1996 1st night (not the full clip on youtube, but contained in a montage broadcast on channel 9 after his death). maybe the playback stuffed up and mj had to sing it live!

Only the very first bit of that is live. Then its lip synched again up until around 3:58.

The only thing that makes it any different from other Man in the Mirror perofmances is that the first bit is live.

I couldn't hear much of a different either but I wasn't sure if it was just me

and i'm sure "go flying" is right since "black or white" in wembley 1992 is a mix of live and canned vocals! :D

I wonder why he never sang it live!!

Was it a hard song to sing live or was it because it was the final number and he was breathless so he lip-synched it?

Back