LA Times: Michael Jackson's doctor was much admired

mjdove

Proud Member
here he has a very strong defense.

If it starts already like that we should fear the worst.

+++

Michael Jackson's doctor was much admired but financially strapped

Household staff and clinic patients describe Dr. Conrad Murray as kind, benevolent and accessible; court files show a man drowning in debt, facing foreclosure, with multiple child support obligations.

By Harriet Ryan

February 8, 2010

In the Holmby Hills chateau where Michael Jackson lived his final months, Dr. Conrad Murray seemed a benevolent figure.

The physician arrived at night dressed in scrubs or a neat blazer and slacks, offering a ready smile for the household staff, and sometimes, gifts for Jackson's children. Most of his time was spent upstairs in the singer's private quarters, but occasionally he sat at the dining room table chatting with the family in his lilting Caribbean accent.

"They loved him," Kai Chase, the singer's personal chef, recalled last summer. "A very nice man, very charming, very well-groomed, very respectful, well-spoken."

The image of the respectable, competent doctor -- a profession Murray began striving toward as a youth in Trinidad -- started to crack the day the world's most famous entertainer died in Murray's care, and is likely to break further Monday when L.A. County prosecutors are expected to charge him with involuntary manslaughter.

"Here's a guy who was on top of the world . . . talk about a fall from grace," said his attorney, Ed Chernoff.

The job Jackson offered Murray, 56, last spring was a lifeline for a man struggling financially.

Courts in Las Vegas, where he lived with his physician wife, 19-year-old son and 13-year-old daughter, had ordered him or his business to pay $435,000 to creditors, including a student loan.

His home near the 18th hole of a country club was in jeopardy. Property records show he had refinanced the mortgage at least three times in five years and owed close to $1.7 million on a property now assessed at $1.08 million. By the time the Jackson job came along, it had been months since Murray had paid the mortgage and foreclosure proceedings loomed, according to court records.

He had also fallen behind on child support payments. Birth certificates and other public records indicate that in addition to the two children he had with his wife, Murray had fathered at least four children with three other women.

Files from Las Vegas family court proceedings show he owed thousands of dollars to a California woman with whom he had a son, now 11. He was also helping support two daughters, ages 16 and 8, who lived with their mother in Las Vegas, according to the records. And last March, an actress from Santa Monica gave birth to Murray's son, according to a California birth certificate.

According to his lawyer, many of Murray's financial problems arose from providing medical care for the poor. (Murray declined repeated requests for interviews, as did members of his family, but he did respond to some questions posed to him through his attorney.)

Multiple practices

Born in Grenada, he was raised in Trinidad by his grandparents and later by his mother and stepfather, according to a biography provided by his attorney. He had no contact with his own father until he was 25, although he knew as a child that his father was a doctor who lived in Houston.

In addition to his Las Vegas cardiology practice, Murray treated patients two days a month at a Houston heart clinic. He founded the clinic in 2006 in a poor, predominantly African American area in honor of his father, by then deceased.

Among some of his clinic patients, Murray was adored for his accessibility and bedside manner. He gave patients his personal cellphone number and used plastic heart models and charts to help elderly patients understand their ailments, patients recalled.

"He was really kind and sat there and explained. No rushing you. He would hold a good conversation. A whole lot of doctors could learn something from that type of treatment," said the Rev. Prince James, a 67-year-old Baptist minister.

Few at the Houston clinic could pay Murray's normal rates, and he lost money with nearly every patient he saw.

But when it came to setting a price for one very famous patient, Murray did not offer a discount, according to people involved in his hiring.

Frank DiLeo, Jackson's manager, said last summer that Jackson told him Murray wanted $5 million to work during rehearsals and the eight months of concerts. "I said, 'Michael, for $5 million, I'll buy you a hospital,' " DiLeo recalled. "He said this guy was his family doctor, and he was comfortable with him. It made sense to me, to a degree."

Murray's lawyer disputed that the doctor demanded $5 million.

A special patient

Jackson and Murray had met four years earlier after Jackson took up residence in Las Vegas. Jackson came down with a viral infection, and a security guard recommended his friend Murray, according to a person with knowledge of their relationship who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the continuing criminal investigation. Murray treated Jackson, and the two men stayed in touch.

When Jackson approached Murray about the job, the singer was gearing up for what the music industry regarded as his final shot at a comeback. Rehearsals were long and physically exhausting, and many thought Jackson, who was 50 and hadn't performed live in concert for a dozen years, wouldn't be able to pull off the performances.

The singer wanted Murray as his doctor and Murray needed the money. Murray's lawyer said the doctor also felt compelled to help."They were close friends. Dr. Murray loved Michael," Chernoff said.

Jackson's concert promoter, AEG Live, had advanced him money to mount the shows and cover living expenses. In Los Angeles, he was renting a $20-million mansion and traveling in chauffeured SUVs. Randy Phillips, chief executive of AEG Live, said the performer introduced Murray to him and to the company's general counsel as "my longtime personal physician" and insisted that the doctor accompany him to England. Phillips said he saw that as a needless expense and urged Jackson to rely on local physicians in London, but the singer was unwavering.

"He insisted emphatically that Dr. Murray be his physician," Phillips recalled last summer.

Jackson and the promoter agreed to pay Murray $150,000 a month. In June, the month after he had accepted the job and begun work, Murray sent a letter to his Las Vegas patients announcing that he was shuttering his practice.

"Because of a once in a lifetime opportunity, I had to make a most difficult decision to cease [the] practice of medicine indefinitely," he wrote.

Ten days later, Jackson was dead, and a day after that, Murray became a household name.

Police summarized the doctor's account of his dealings with Jackson in court affidavits: Jackson, the doctor told them, was an insomniac who had called upon many physicians over the years to give him an operating-room anesthetic, propofol, as a sleep aid.

Murray said he administered the white liquid -- "milk" as Jackson called it -- each night by intravenous drip, but after six weeks, he had become concerned that the singer was addicted to it and tried to wean him off the drug. Jackson, he told police, demanded propofol the morning of his death and then stopped breathing when Murray left him alone for two minutes to use the bathroom.

When his account became public, many doctors condemned Murray's use of propofol as reckless and unethical. Authorities began building a manslaughter case against him, and the media trailed him wherever he went.

Jackson had not signed their contract so Murray never collected any money for his work. According to his lawyer, Murray spent six months " watching his bills pile up" before re-opening his Houston practice.

"His one big fault is that he could never turn down someone who needed his services," his lawyer said. :cry:

harriet.ryan@latimes.com

Times staff writers Kimi Yoshino in Los Angeles and Ashley Powers in Las Vegas contributed to this report.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-conrad-murray8-2010feb08,0,6199594.story?page=1

Being polite and being a good doctor and a professional are two different things.

Jackson and Murray had met four years earlier after Jackson took up residence in Las Vegas. Jackson came down with a viral infection, and a security guard recommended his friend Murray, according to a person with knowledge of their relationship who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the continuing criminal investigation. Murray treated Jackson, and the two men stayed in touch.

Yet another new version about when and how they met. Wasn't it supposed to be 2006 and the children comig down with the flue?

Be prepared that at the end Murray will be the good man and Michael the bad man (for putting this good man in such a situation) in this story somehow. The media spin machine already started....

Murray's PR machine is already working overtime. Tells me two things: "they" know that he is in deep sh-t and is more than likely to get convicted for all the things he did or rather omitted to do. Secondly, there are some powerful people out there trying to protect Murray's image and they are willing to do whatever it takes.
The Latimes has always reported very negatively on Michael so this positive report on Murray means absolutely nothing to me! Always handy to have the media on your side, isn't it ???

EFF the LATIMES, I wonder if these writers would be willing to receive a shot of propofol from Murray or let their family members receive, bet they wouldn't be inclined to let Murray give them some propofol under the same circumstance (e.g unmonitored, messed up)
Murray will go to hell for taking another persons life, even if he he'll get away with this, in this skewed world.

Murray's defense team will use all outlets to try and make Murray look like credible now....Murray is a Murderer.....you can NEVER make him look innocent.....they are trying to use the look he is a good guy defense and they are trying to humanize him....As Victoria83 has said in another thread..BE ON YOUR TOES.....they will use anyone and anything to defend Murray at this point....BUT WE ARE SMARTER.

nothing changes with the L.A times i see. they were sneddons mouth peice during the trial aswell. funny they did the same thing to jack johnson all those years ago except they got away with using the words they would really love to use with mj. N

nothing changes with the L.A times i see. they were sneddons mouth peice during the trial aswell. funny they did the same thing to jack johnson all those years ago except they got away with using the words they would really love to use with mj. N

What someone on here said a day ago. DON'T BLAME THE MEDIA. That statement has become laughable. And I agree with you 100%.

NONE of that matters. Sorry LA Times we're smarter than that. It doesn't change what he did. Interesting the article leaves out all the BS he did that day.

The image of the respectable, competent doctor

Obviously not that competent.

It disturbs me that Randy Phillips and Frank DiLeo defend Murray, and seems intent to push the view that Michael was desperate for this doctor. Since when was Murray Michael's 'longtime personal physician' or his 'family doctor'?! No, don't believe that. It completely contradicts the rest of the article about Murray's history.

Phillips and DiLeo going to take to the stand in Murray's defence?

Like I said before.. perhaps the security guy was Alberto Alvarez... he has the same surname as Murray's ex-girlfriend.

I believe Alberto Alvarez only worked for Michael for 18 months before his death.

NONE of that matters. Sorry LA Times we're smarter than that. It doesn't change what he did. Interesting the article leaves out all the BS he did that day.
And that's exactly what these fools fail to realise! Folks are not as stupid as the media likes to think. We have all sorts of DIFFERENT ways to obtain the facts of any given situation.

That being said, the LA Times can say whatever they want to say. LOL! They ain't gonna be able to cover up the FACT that Murray is a DEADBEAT DAD, who is STILL out there making babies.

He's irresponsible when it comes to the wellbeing of his OWN children, yet he is living high on the hog out in Las Vegas.

Potential jury members (especially the ladies) ain't gonna take to kindly to a DOCTOR who also happens to be a deadbeat dad! The LA Times nor Murray's defense team will be able to overcome that little fact, which goes to the character of a person and the responsibility that one person shows another, in my opinion.

I'm so disgusted by that article. Nothing has begun yet, and here they are painting him as this wonderful, caring doctor.

I hope to God the public doesn't fall so easily for that rubbish.

Yeah he, the doctor and irresponsible father of several known and unknown children couldn't turn down Michael uh? therefore he very well could kill Michael a very responsible father of three?
I'm impressed by his 'kindness' and this media spin... disgusting once again!

I'm so disgusted by that article. Nothing has begun yet, and here they are painting him as this wonderful, caring doctor.

I hope to God the public doesn't fall so easily for that rubbish.
Don't worry, people are not stupid!

Especially when you are taking about a "caring" doctor, who didn't think it was important enough to keep up with his child-support payments, while continuing to make babies.

And I have to laugh at them trying to paint him as this "wonderful, caring" soul. It's the EXACT samething they said about Theodore "Ted" Bundy.

:wub:
Don't worry, people are not stupid!

Especially when you are taking about a "caring" doctor, who didn't think it was important enough to keep up with his child-support payments, while continuing to make babies.

And I have to laugh at them trying to paint him as this "wonderful, caring" soul. It's the EXACT samething they said about Theodore "Ted" Bundy.
LOL@ you comparing him to Ted Bundy :lol: I have to say they are no different, it doesn't matter that he ''only'' killed one person, a killer is a killer. He took someone's life

Well, they can say all they want about Conrad Bundy....but in the end he still has to deal with his maker and his own conscience.

I do hope this gets underway today and he gets charged. It does seem to be dragging on.

occasionally he sat at the dining room table chatting with the family in his lilting Caribbean accent.

If this is true, it makes me sick to my stomach to think about. :puke:

"They loved him"

Yeah, he loved the Chandlers and the Arvizos too.

"Here's a guy who was on top of the world . . . talk about a fall from grace," said his attorney, Ed Chernoff.

Can I punch him in the face already?! He starting to sound like Sneddon...willing to say anything. Does he not realize how ridiculous that sounds? He was having affairs, his house was foreclosing and he was completely inundated with bills, owing child support for seven children! On top of the world?! Fall from grace?! Please. -_-

According to his lawyer, many of Murray's financial problems arose from providing medical care for the poor.

....In addition to his Las Vegas cardiology practice, Murray treated patients two days a month at a Houston heart clinic.
Two days a month?...This is why he has no money?...

Murray treated Jackson, and the two men stayed in touch.
Why?..

Murray's lawyer said the doctor also felt compelled to help.

Oh, just shut up. As if it was a chore or he was doing Michael a favor?

They were close friends. Dr. Murray loved Michael"

Close friends? Um...What, did they go to the movies and talk on the phone for hours? And I can't even comment on the second sentence.

Jackson had not signed their contract
I'd still like to know why...

"His one big fault is that he could never turn down someone who needed his services," his lawyer said.

:puke: Riiiight. Nothing to do with the fact that it was Michael effing Jackson and he would be getting 150k a month... That's the most nauseous comment I've heard in a while. really.

His lawyer is really getting to me.

Last edited:
He has no conscience the only person he feels sorry is himself, and he is the one alive! :mad:

i don't get the timeline:they once said he was hired ten days before Michael was dead and Murray said he gave propofol to Michael for six weekes...decide people!

Back