My story

JMie

Guests
Hi guys, I just wanted to share the story of my fan life with you...

I became a fan in 1993. My father worked in Nigeria, and my mother, my younger sister and I were there with him, in a small village Ajaokuta. I made friends with a girl there, who was a Michael Jackson fan. She was also from Russia. One day she gave me a video tape with Michael's interview to Oprah. I sat to watch it on a Saturday and after it was over I rewinded it and watched it again. After that I went to my mother, who was in the kitchen, and I told her, "Mom, I have a new favorite singer, his name is Michael Jackson". I was 15 years old.

It was not even his singing that got to me, it was his personality in that interview. I saw what an interesting person he was, how open and genuine he was, he seemed like such a nice guy. And soooo very handsome too! What else a 15-year-old girl could wish for as her dream guy? :D

Thriller and Dangerous albums and a VHS of Michael's videos (most of them in an awful quality) were the only things I managed to find in Ajaokuta. Oh, those were my treasures! I listened to those albums all the time. And there was a complete Black or White video on that VHS. Just imagine it, us young girls watching it and then seeing the ending where Michael zips his pants! We were :bugeyed and :wild: at the same time. It makes me laugh just remembering that.

Then the allegations came. Because I was in Nigeria and we didn't have TV, I knew very little at that time about what was really happening. My grandparents sent me news clippings from Russian papers and I had a general idea, but because I was young I just didn't realize how serious it was. I was more upset by the news of Michael performing in Moscow while I was in Africa. It was two years later when I got to see the footage, the news reports and Michael's message to the public, when I understood what really was happening with him during that time...

After a year in Africa I came back home, finished high school and was getting ready to take entry exams to a university. During those years I was a lonely fan, my friends didn't like Michael and there was no internet so I couldn't find anyone who loved him as well... And then in summer 1996 I heard that Michael would perform in Moscow again in September. My mother said, "If you pass the entry exams to the university, we will buy you a ticket". Oh my god, I had never studied that hard before! The day after we found out I was admitted to the university, my mother and I went to the Dinamo stadium ticket office and bought the tickets. It was unbelievable for me. I just couldn't grasp the idea that I would see Michael. In flesh. At that time he seemed so distant to me, like a mirage sometimes. Sometimes I even thought that he didn't exist, that someone just made him up. But he did exist and was coming to Moscow. And I couldn't believe it!

On the day of his arrival (Sept 15, 1996) I went to the hotel he was going to stay at, and as I was coming closer I suddenly saw the fans. Many many fans!! It was amazing, I was not lonely anymore! Thanks to Michael I found my people! And then Michael arrived and I saw him and realized finally that he was real :) I can't describe that feeling really. He was standing there waving to us. He was wearing a mask and I remember being slightly disappointed about it, because I wanted to see his smile so much... Then there was a concert which I don't remember at all, because it was such an overwhelming experience to me, like a lightning. All I remember that I spent the next day crying...

When Michael left, my life changed completely. I had MJ-friends now! We met several days a week to talk about Michael, to exchange footage (back then there was no internet, so everyone had two VHS recorders to be able to re-record videos). I became a member of a British fanclub MJNI and found a lot of penpals through the King! fanzine and fanbooks (remember the fanbooks? :D ). We celebrated Michael's birthday every year. And when he turned 40, I think more than 300 fans showed up for the celebration. This is a picture of just a few of us (with the famous Stranger in Moscow pole :) )

Untitled-4.jpg

In 1997 my friends and I went to see Michael's concert in Tallinn, Estonia. I was so scared my parents wouldn't let me go, so I borrowed money from my granddad and kept my trip a secret until everything was final. My parents were shocked, there was a huge scandal, but in the end I said that if they didn't let me go I would jump out of a window (our apartment was on the third floor) and go anyway. And they let me go.

What a trip it was! MJ fans were everywhere in the city. And it felt like every fan was a family. We met new people every day and hugged and took photos together. It was amazing. The concert was fantastic. We were at the stadium at 6 am and when they allowed us in at 2 pm, I had never ran faster in my life before! And I got a place in the front row! To this day I remember every smallest detail of that concert. Every move, every smile, every "I love you more". Oh Michael. Those are such precious memories, I never experienced anything like that in my life, not before nor after. It was the last time I saw Michael. August 22, 1997. I am so grateful I had that day and a few days in September in 1996.

Back home my fan life continued. I graduated from the university, the Invincible album was released. I remember listening to it for the first time in a dark room and feeling relief because Invincible seemed like such a positive album, full of love and inner peace. I remember thinking that Michael seemed to finally leave all the sorrows behind and I was so happy! Little did I know...

Our regular fan meetings stopped around that time, because everyone grew up, had a job, some had families, everybody was busy. Still we had a small protest at the Sony office in Moscow, when Michael was protesting in the States. Our protest was tiny, just a few people with banners at the Sony door. I am not even sure that the Russian Sony employees knew what it was all about. Anyway we wanted to do our part, however small, and we did :)

I lived through the trial alone. I don't remember why, but I didn't look for other fans online, and as for fans from Moscow, I lost touch with them around that time, so I was alone. I worked as a translator for an international news agency and there were articles about the case every day. Everyone at work knew I was a fan so it was somewhat expected that I would translate the trial stories into Russian. I didn't translate a single story covering the prosecution side :D But when it came to the defence I translated every word. It was my small contribution during the trial...

June 13, 2005 will be in my memory forever. God, I was so scared. It was a night in Moscow and I sat at my computer watching live feed on CNN.com shaking and crying. Every "Not guilty" was such a tremendous relief. I couldn't sleep that night at all and then I came to work in the morning (I was working the 6 am shift that day) and the verdict story was the first thing I translated :) And everyone congratulated me. What a glorious day it was!!!

michael.jpg

When Michael left for Bahrein I stopped following news about him. Knowing he was somewhere enjoying his life with his kids was enough for me. I didn't need to know his every step. I just knew that he was there. His music was with me though so I always felt his presence.

When he turned 50 I wrote in my livejournal that I wish him a long and happy life because he deserves it more than anyone...

Because I didn't read the MJ news, I almost missed the TII announcement! But thank god I didn't and the fandom frenzy hit me all over again! I sat there stressing out about the presale codes, then about the tickets, then about getting tickets too far from the stage... But then I said to myself that I should be happy because only a week ago I couldn't even think of a chance of seeing Michael perform again and now I had a ticket!!! So I was happy and getting ready to go to London.

In the end of March I went to LA to see the Figure skating world championships. Despite figure skating, my only thoughts during that trip were about Michael. I fulfilled my long-time dream and sat on his star in Hollywood :) Sadly I didn't even think of going to Michael's house and trying to see him. I thought I would invade his privacy. I said to myself, " Calm down, you will see him in July". If only I knew...

When I got the news that my concert was rescheduled I got so pissed. I was so angry. And I blamed Michael. I am so ashamed now. I can't get over this guilt and I ask for his forgiveness every day. How could I not know he was not to blame? I was his fan for more than 15 years, I KNEW what kind of person he was, I knew he would never offend his fans. But I blamed him. Michael, please please please forgive me. Please.

We returned the tickets and bought a new set from Viagogo, this time for July 13th. We had to go in July, because we already had our visas and plane tickets and hotel reservations...

And then I woke up on June 26th to a text message from my friend I was going to London with. The message said, "Do you know already?" I thought the concert was being rescheduled again. I got up from the bed, turned on the computer and clicked on news. And my mind went blank.

In the evening I went to the US embassy and everyone was there, all those fans I met every week years ago. Everyone came together once again. And it makes me cry just thinking about it again...

29062009042.jpg

29062009043.jpg

P1220688.jpg

ps: sorry it's such a long post. and sorry for mistakes.

Last edited:
I forgot to add something. I want to say thankyou to Michael for making me who I am today. I was a teenager when I became a fan and his music, the things he sings about helped me form my opinions about things. Michael helped me become a better person. He helped me find friends. When I was depressed "Keep the Faith" always kept me going and trying to achieve things. Michael gave me so much. He has always been such an inspiration, such a huge influence on me. He has always had a strong presence in my life even when I didn't realize it myself. And I will always be grateful. And I will always remember.

And I hope he will forgive me.

Kate, thank you so much for my tears...
Seems like you wrote about my own fan life because everything about me was the same as you wrote about you... every little thing... and I found myself in the pic near the famous pole from "Stranger in Moscow".. and remembered those times.. and you.. and that I saw all those fans from our active fan life on June 26, 2009 near the American Embassy... all these things made me cry my eyes out...

Thank you for writing. That is so beautiful. I got goosebumps especially towards the end.
Those photos of the flowers and candles..
I am so glad you got to see Michael perform. And please don't live in any guilt, Michael would not blame you, he loves all his fans no matter what. :huggy:
Being a fan and sharing it with other people is so special, I am glad you have those memories.

Thank you for this wonderfull story.I read with big interest.God bless you and your family.You touched me with your love for Michael.

thank you for reading guys. it's just that yesterday I got really emotional reading different threads on the board and decided to share my story.. I really like it here, the board and the fans here help me a lot. so thanks :) :angel:

Oh gosh, what a great story.....look how long Michael affected our lives, look how long he was a part of us.
So amazing, so beautiful! :cry: :heart:

Thank you for sharing your story, and don't feel sad about blaming Michael.
He would never be mad about this at you or anyone, I am very sure.

We need more of this sharing here. We're a family, we cannot forget that! :huggy:

Wow, I loved reading your story, Kathie! Really wonderful to read.
So cute the part about watching Black or White..zipping up his pants..:lol:

But yes, your story touched my heart.
:cry: :heart:
Thank you for sharing your pictures aswell, :flowers:
:hug:

Kathi..thank you so much for sharing your journey with Micheal with us....:hug:

Kathi what a wonderful moving story, my heart was with you as I read it.
I remember the days when all we had were the old vhs video's, and no internet! Oh did I treausure my old vhs vids! :)
I still have the making of Thriller on vhs that I got for my 16th Birthday..............( lol I wont say what yr that was! :doh:)
Seriously though Kathi thank you so much for your touching story.:angel:
Bless you. And PS: Don't be hard on yourself as Michael wouldnt want you to be feeling anything but just love for him, and that is what you are doing, and always will....................:yes:

oh my goodness Kathie - you made me cry.

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful loving journey. That must have been very hard for you to take the time to write that all out and share this with us.

Sometimes I cry more when I remember my memories when I think about the present. I agree with Mrs. M - Michael would never blame you or be mad at you...

And remember we are all here for you... :hug:

here is my cool short version how i become michael fan
back in 1985?86 i was only 7 or 8 years young i knew nothing intersting about miochael or who he was all i rembmer is afew pepsi/coke adds on tv
later on 1991? my dad give a michael type- OFF THE WALL good music
i start to rembmer where/when i saw michael
till my cusins send a copy of dangerous in 1991? (age 13)
i become a cool fan in 1992? i give my dangerous type to my cusin in aust
she also become a michael fan dangerous album she never while things happen i was tryoing to forget about
michael but michael was always in the news (1991-2009) for the wtrong reasons
(romours the media made up) and things that michael never did
later in 2009 few weeks before michael (went to heaven) died i become michael again
but i did not join michael forum till about 2 days after michael died
and start to buy michael's music/CDs
im a fan of michael

:hug: to all of you :flowers:

So cute the part about watching Black or White..zipping up his pants..:lol:

yes! :lol: Imagine us listening to Michael telling Oprah that it was music that forced him to do all kind of moves and then a few days later watching this video and thinking, "Wait a minute! No music is playing when he does THAT!!!!" :lol:

We're a family, we cannot forget that! :huggy:

Yes, we are. Michael's fans are exceptional people. I truly believe it is the best fandom. And it's all thanks to him. He truly cared about us and we felt that.

What a wonderful story, Thank you for feeling you could share it with us.... I didnt want it to end, because i knew the outcome :cry: Seriously sweets you have touched my heart thank you :heart:

:cry: the outcome was the same for all the fans.... sadly.. :cry:

I remember the days when all we had were the old vhs video's, and no internet! Oh did I treausure my old vhs vids! :)
I still have the making of Thriller on vhs that I got for my 16th Birthday..............( lol I wont say what yr that was! :doh:)

LOL, yes! I still have those tapes, I collected more than 70 cassettes of MJ footage in the 90s. Now you can just go over to 2000Watts and download everything you need and back then it was weekly trips to the post office to send another tape to a penpal living somewhere half across the world or to receive a tape from them... :)

Sometimes I cry more when I remember my memories when I think about the present. I agree with Mrs. M - Michael would never blame you or be mad at you...

And remember we are all here for you... :hug:

:hug: Thank you! And yes, I also cry sometimes thinking of those years.. But those are good tears because those were very happy times. We were blessed to share them with Michael.

here is my cool short version how i become michael fan
back in 1985?86 i was only 7 or 8 years young i knew nothing intersting about miochael or who he was all i rembmer is afew pepsi/coke adds on tv
later on 1991? my dad give a michael type- OFF THE WALL good music
i start to rembmer where/when i saw michael
till my cusins send a copy of dangerous in 1991? (age 13)
i become a cool fan in 1992? i give my dangerous type to my cusin in aust
she also become a michael fan dangerous album she never while things happen i was tryoing to forget about
michael but michael was always in the news (1991-2009) for the wtrong reasons
(romours the media made up) and things that michael never did
later in 2009 few weeks before michael (went to heaven) died i become michael again
but i did not join michael forum till about 2 days after michael died
and start to buy michael's music/CDs
im a fan of michael

:hug:

Oh, Kathie, I cried all the way through. It's so beautiful. I'm so, so happy that you got to experienced all of that, that you got to see him. I think Michael changed our lives completely. I wouldn't be the same person that I am today if it wasn't for him. I just wish I could have been born earlier, so that I could have been old enough to be able to catch a plane alone and go to see him. However, I appreciate so much that you have shared your personal story with us. Really lovely and sweet you are. And thanks for the photos too. :flowers:

oh Michael.... why did you leave us? the only thing I can think of now is going to Forest Lawn to pay my respects and say thankyou to you... I live for that moment. I can't concentrate on my work or my life, anything. This is the only thing that's on my mind 24/7.

My friend and I made a book for you almost ten years ago. It was a book of photos of your Russian fans. We hoped to give it to you one day. And I always believed I would meet you some day, even if it happens when we are old and gray. It was the biggest dream of my life. And now look at us.... going to your resting place instead... This is so wrong. I just want you back.

What great experiences you had Kathie and thank you for sharing them with us. I got goosebumps reading your story. ^^ Please don't feel so discouraged, I know it's hard as we are all going through a difficult time with him passing away, but remember that no matter what, you are not alone, because there are a lot of MJ fans who will always be here for you.

Back