Is Chernoff allowed to practice in CA?

Maria MJ

Proud Member
As far as I know he is certified by the State Bar of Texas.

Bar Admissions:
Texas, 1987
U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1992

http://www.houstoncriminallaw.com/CM/Attorneys/Edward-M-Chernoff.html

According to Wikipedia, CA does not hold any reciprocal agreements with other states to allow attorneys to practice without sitting for additional state bar exams.

Because each state has its own bar, a lawyer who is admitted to practice in one state is not automatically allowed to practice in another. Some states have reciprocal agreements that allow attorneys from other states to practice without sitting for another full bar exam. These agreements differ significantly among the states.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admission_to_the_bar_in_the_United_States

and

For example, California does not have reciprocity with any state because the State Bar of California has consistently taken the position that all other states' bar examinations are either too short or too easy. California is the only U.S. jurisdiction that makes applicants undergo three-hour performance tests, which results in a 18-hour-long bar exam spread over three consecutive days (that is, six hours per day). Another serious problem is that many states' bar exams do not cover topics of critical importance in California like community property, which potentially affects any legal case in California where there is at least one individual named party who is married. Thus, allowing reciprocity risks allowing poorly trained lawyers to indirectly obtain the right to practice in California by taking the less-rigorous bar exams of other states, which would seriously weaken the State Bar's consumer protection efforts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admission_on_motion

Last edited:
**Enter Ivy......**;)
:scratch:

don't know whether Chernoff has a California certification or not but it is not 100% required.

on a pure information basis : Lawyers that doesn't have a state's certification still can apply to the court for permission to practice in that state for a specific case. The court decides whether to allow that lawyer or not after investigating their credentials and imposing some limitations.

how does this related to Chernoff: Even though he may not have a California lawyer certification, he can petition the court for permission to practice in a California court. Court decides whether to allow him or not. Even if they allow him, it would be a limited permission - meaning that he will only be allowed to be a lawyer on the Murray's case and cannot work on other cases in California.

reciprocal agreement with other states means that there's not a general agreement between the states that automatically allows lawyers from one state to work in another state - meaning that there's no agreement that says "every California certified lawyer can practice law in Texas and every Texas certified lawyer can practice law in California". But still as I wrote above lawyers from different states can file a petition for permission to practice in that state on a case by case basis.

related detailed legal info

One way that lawyers can avoid joining the bar in another state is to receive a designation of pro hac vice, which is when a lawyer not licensed in a state is allowed to practice law there, usually for a specific case or client. The requirements for the waiver differ greatly from state to state, but they normally require that the lawyer have several years of recent experience in the state where he/she is licensed. Registration with the courts is required, as is a fee to cover the subsequent investigation into the personal character, legal standing, and educational background of the applicant. A signed declaration to follow the laws of that state is also standard. Some states require that a licensed member of the bar act as co-counsel, while others only require the name of a local attorney who can provide assistance to the visiting lawyer.

Last edited:
Didn't Murray actually have a lawyer by a different name with him in the court room at the hearing on Monday? So maybe that was the licensed "one" for California?
Reminds me of "Slipped on a Banana and want to make quick a buck? Call 1800-Sleazy Lawyer"- they advertise in several states, but have their locals go to court.

yeah he has another one whos from cali. i think he will prob be the main lawyer. he was hired not long b4 he was charged

If I'm not mistaken, was'n tthat lawyer who won that prior Propofol case now his lead attorney in the case? don't remember his name right now.

I frankly look at Ed Chernoff and the word 'slime' just comes to mind!

If I'm not mistaken, was'n tthat lawyer who won that prior Propofol case now his lead attorney in the case? don't remember his name right now.
yeah thats him. he only won that case cause the nurse wasnt even there when it was given!

Here are the lawyers - please note under the blue words are the corresponding urls

Attorneys for Defendant C. M.:

Edward 1 Chernoff ( Pro Hac Vice )

STRADLEY, CHERNOFF & ALFORD

&

Joseph Hawkins Low IV

THE LAW FIRM OF JOSEPH H. LOW IV

&

Flanagan, Unger, Grover & McCool

J. Michael Flanagan: "I'm probably the only attorney in town that has successfully tried a Propofol case involving death."

Back in 2004, Flanagan defended a nurse who was accused of wrongly administering the stuff to a patient who later died.
The nurse was charged with involuntary manslaughter -- the same crime we're told the D.A. is likely to charge Murray with.
But with Flanagan by her side, the nurse was acquitted.
( Source )

Last edited:
this is from the recently filed documents as a response to the medical board. http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/04/01/murray.response.pdf

we can see that chernoff is labeled as "pro hac vice" - meaning he doesn't have a California licence but given permission to be on this case. He also has California based co-counsel.

Interestingly Flanagan is not listed as a counsel on the April 5th documents.

chernoff.jpg

Back