Will a jury believe that Michael Jackson killed himself?

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
Crime Time: Will a jury believe that Michael Jackson killed himself?

Our criminal courts columnist isn't totally on board with Dr. Conrad Murray's possible defense strategy ...
By Russell Wetanson
Like anyone else, I have my gullible moments. When I was a kid, I believed my parents when they told me a cat with big hind legs was a "cabbit" (a cross between a cat and a rabbit). I believed -- albeit briefly -- that Bill Clinton did not have sexual relations with that woman. And, let's face it, we've all believed a million different tabloid stories about the late King of Pop, Michael Jackson (my favorite being that he and La Toya were the same person).
So, why should this week be any different? With new theories surfacing about how Jackson died and who is responsible for his death, Dr. Conrad Murray's attorneys may be hoping it isn't — and that a jury has many more gullible moments.

As a reminder, Murray moved to Los Angeles last May to provide personal physician services to Jackson in the months leading up to and possibly throughout the entertainer's big comeback tour, "This Is It." Jackson died on June 25 and, on Feb. 8, Murray was arrested and arraigned in L.A. Superior Court for one count of involuntary manslaughter.
On Monday, he was in court accompanied by his defense team, attorneys Ed Chernoff and Michael Flanagan. Jackson family members -- including Janet, Katherine, Joe and Jermaine -- also attended the procedural hearing, during which the newly assigned Judge Michael Pastor: (1) refrained from ruling on any revocation of Murray's California medical license; and (2) set June 14 as the date when the preliminary hearing will be scheduled, despite pressure from Attorney General Jerry Brown's office to schedule an earlier date.
So, now that a date to set a date has been set, what will happen next?
Speculation and more speculation, of course. According to new reports, Murray's attorneys intend to argue that Jackson is responsible for his own death. Specifically, they will contend that while Murray quickly stepped out of the room where he had been administering propofol and numerous other drugs to Jackson throughout the fateful night, Jackson: (1) woke up; (2) became frustrated by his lack of sleep; and (3) injected himself with a lethal dose of propofol.
All of this allegedly happened within only two minutes, which is the length of time Murray previously told police he left the room to go to the bathroom. And if you buy that, Murray's lawyers will be recruiting you for jury service soon.
In all fairness, Murray's defense team is shooting down these reports. While they may deny this specific strategy (for now), there is no denying that they will blame Jackson for his own death in some way at both the preliminary hearing and the inevitable trial. Last June, Chernoff told "Good Morning America's" Diane Sawyer that Murray "just happened to find [Jackson] in his bed, and he wasn’t breathing. Mr. Jackson was still warm and had a pulse.” Then, in August, Chernoff told the L.A. Times that his client did not know which drugs Jackson might have been taking or whether he was addicted. He said of his client: "When he accepted the job, he was not aware of any specific requirements regarding medications that Michael Jackson was taking or any addictions that he was suffering from.” Chernoff said that it was only after Dr. Murray moved to Los Angeles that "he realized that Michael Jackson had some very unusual problems."
Realistically, this likely is the best strategy. They can paint Jackson as an addict who craved propofol (and other drugs) so much that he'd do anything to get his fix. They can portray him as so odd that anything is possible. All they need is one juror -- one juror who would find Jackson's alleged addiction at least as believable as every other story about him. They just need that one juror who believed his nose popped on and off, that he slept in a hyperbaric chamber, or that he collected the Elephant Man's bones.

Yeah, I know. At least one of these must be true. But, does that mean Jackson woke up while Murray was doing his business and injected himself with a lethal dose of propofol? To any juror who believes that, even I -- the person who once believed in "cabbits" -- say: Ch'mon!
http://thresq.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/04/did-michael-jackson-kill-himself-of-course.html

Thanks for posting, DI. I'm not sure the defence really has a defence. They can blame Michael and his so-called addictions all they want, but the drugs in the autopsy are what Murray gave him. So if Michael was an addict, then Murray was a drug dealer. Either way, it's not going to help him at all. Murray's own lawyer is making it worse for him. Why did Murray do CPR on the bed? It was firm. Why didn't Murray call 911? There was no phone (even though he's making phone calls all night from his cell). Sending Chernoff out there to flap his lips does nothing for Murray other then dig him a deeper hole. He expects the world to believe that Murray, a cardiologist, was so STUPID, that he couldn't dial 911, he couldn't keep his story straight, he suffered from Amnesia when EMTs asked what drugs he had given and he ineffectively did CPR on a bed with ONE hand. POOR stupid, ignorant Murray. He didn't know what he was doing! People seem to forget that to become a cardiologist, you need to spend at least 4 years getting a bachelor's degree, 4 years at medical school, 3 years of internal medicine residency and 3 years of cardiology fellowship. Surely he knew a little about medicine and cardiology, right? Well, apparently not. When it came to performing basic CPR, he was clueless. Absolutely CLUELESS. I ain't buying it. I don't think the jurors will buy the story either. AND Murray's method of doing CPR is just a small little point in a HUGE list of mistakes. Jury would see though it. I hope they will.

You just can't say that Michael was this that and a third to a jury and expect them to buy it. You will need proof like Mez said the Arvizos were liars and he proved it. Anyone you put on the stand family included to say Michael was an addict can be stopped cold wit this question. When was the last time you saw or talked to Michael

When I told a criminal defense lawyer I know about this defense strategy the first thing he did was laugh. He said there was no way a jury would believe something so stupid but sadly all you need is one person to believe it.

Murray is going to prison- a Jury will see right through his lies.

there has to be a unanimous verdict whether all not guilty or all guilty. if one says not guily its a hung jury and a mistrial and the D.A will try the the case again. like with phil spector.if a large majority say not gulity then the D.A might not try it again

I think that the MJ killing himself theory is the dumbest defense to use if that's what they plan to do! It contradicts the very reason why Murray was even needed in the first place if MJ could do it himself! Are the jury suppose to believe that just when Murray happens to walk out the room is when MJ wakes up and does himself in, really? Oh, the bad luck Murray has huh?! LOL PLEASE!

This is just crazy that MJ would be dead of such a drug and in that way because he's such a reader and perfectionist, so it's hard to believe that he would allow to be put under that dangerous drug and without the proper equipment to be safe! It doesn't seem like him, not consistent with his personality!

Thanks for posting, DI. I'm not sure the defence really has a defence. They can blame Michael and his so-called addictions all they want, but the drugs in the autopsy are what Murray gave him. So if Michael was an addict, then Murray was a drug dealer. Either way, it's not going to help him at all. Murray's own lawyer is making it worse for him. Why did Murray do CPR on the bed? It was firm. Why didn't Murray call 911? There was no phone (even though he's making phone calls all night from his cell). Sending Chernoff out there to flap his lips does nothing for Murray other then dig him a deeper hole. He expects the world to believe that Murray, a cardiologist, was so STUPID, that he couldn't dial 911, he couldn't keep his story straight, he suffered from Amnesia when EMTs asked what drugs he had given and he ineffectively did CPR on a bed with ONE hand. POOR stupid, ignorant Murray. He didn't know what he was doing! People seem to forget that to become a cardiologist, you need to spend at least 4 years getting a bachelor's degree, 4 years at medical school, 3 years of internal medicine residency and 3 years of cardiology fellowship. Surely he knew a little about medicine and cardiology, right? Well, apparently not. When it came to performing basic CPR, he was clueless. Absolutely CLUELESS. I ain't buying it. I don't think the jurors will buy the story either. AND Murray's method of doing CPR is just a small little point in a HUGE list of mistakes. Jury would see though it. I hope they will.

I agree with you. I hope the jury see through this too. But IMO, Murray's camp is only doing this because they know there are alot of people in the general public who still have a very intense hatred for Michael and will believe anything negative said about him. Murray is trying to appeal to these people to be on the jury and get him out of this. To me, that's why he's doing all the "poor me" PR stuff and why his lawyer is blaming Michael for everything.

Last edited:
All we can do is try to remain hopeful that every shred of evidence that is gone over and presented will indeed show that what went on in that bedroom that day was certainly not suicide! :(
Pray for justice, pray for wisdom for the members of the jury, that their eyes and hearts be open and see the truth of what happened.:angel:
God ultimately is our hope. Just as Michael was prayed over for justice when he visited that church in 2004...........during his trials......they prayed for justice back then, and MJ was found not guilty, so again we pray and hope that justice will prevail. It's not a vain hope, its a reality. The truth of happened must come to light:timer: has gone on and on.......we must get justice soon for our MJ.:boohoo

You nailed it with this post. Spot on girl! Im right with you!

The Jury will not find Dr. Murry not quity and they will not feel in anyway that Michael killed himself its takes the right people to be on that stand speaking out against these killers. Dr Murder makes me sick he needs to tell the truth.

classic

Perhaps with this being held in LA will be a positive. Finding a jury that would 100% believe that Murray was responsible would be very iffy where I live in the midwest (USA). Sadly, it is true that many, many people believe all the lies about Michael through the years.

As an example, I work in a large hospital. The unit I work in has a large nursing/medical staff. I took in my TII cd to work and offered to let anyone take it home to view it that was sincerely interested in seeing it. Not ONE person had any interest, none! Either they said they really don't care one way or the other about Michael and don't care what happens to Murray, period; or else voicing outright disgust and hatred for the "child molester" or "freak" or "addict", with alot of other hatred and disgust thrown in.

My only hope is that the prosecution has enough provable and damning evidence against Murray that no one on the jury will cause the trial to be tossed. Reality in my world is that it could happen, hoping and praying that LA will be different.

Let's look at this way. Michael Jackson withstood an international witch hunt of being called names that are reserved for some of the worst bottom feeders of humanity. World wide media was WATCHING, I bet you that many people (both in 1993 and 2005) just waited for him to commit suicide. Michael Jackson did NOT do them the favor. He SOMEHOW and sometimes I don't know HOW he did that- carried on. I personally believe that this BS put a dagger in his heart and soul that nobody ever could have pulled out of him. But despite the hurt and pain he somehow made it through it- and that same man is supposed to have killed himself?

He didn't kill himself back then- why should he have killed himself now? He had lived through nightmares before, why now?

Just to survive what he survived with the whole world watching and judging in the worst way possible- that's almost superhuman.
Please, what jury would buy that??

He didn't kill himself back then- why should he have killed himself now? He had lived through nightmares before, why now?
no ones saying mj comitted suicide. thats not what the defence are saying

This isn't about suicide and that isn't what the defense are allegedly claiming. They are saying that Michael accidently killed himself which of course is utter BS.

This isn't about suicide and that isn't what the defense are allegedly claiming. They are saying that Michael accidently killed himself which of course is utter BS.

By the help of Janet and Co calling Michael was a druggie. I dread to the day they are gonna call her as a witness for defense team :(

Last edited:
That's what I dread as well. If his own family calls him an addict they just give ground to the defense.
Have you noticed these stories have been coming out only lately?
Nobody in the family spoke about addictions or interventions right after Michael died.

Of course it's utter BS and of course this isn't about suicide. I remember several tabloid trash articles right after his passing that were going along Halperin's line of "he carried a suicide note with him". The defense strategy will be posthumous character assassination of a dead man who isn't there to refute it.

Should the defense start the "druggie killed himself" BS, they will at least allude to depression, injected psychiatric drugs (benzos)- more of the same slander, innuendo and defamation he suffered from for the last 20 decades. That together with the "anxiety about fearing the demands of the shows" will be a horrible mud slinging contest, I am dreading it.

Does anyone know the standard procecures for selecting the jury?
In Michael's case, there are either lovers or haters. It's very difficult to spot neutral people, and even if they do, I am afraid they will probably be concealed haters, those who went with the m***station accusations or have preconceptions about addiction.

Last edited:
same as when he was on trial each side can get rid of x amount of ppl for no reason. other than that theres only issues if the persons connected to mj or murray personally or has some personal connection to the case/issues.each side interviews the selective jurrors and picks who they want.thats the basics of it

Perhaps with this being held in LA will be a positive. Finding a jury that would 100% believe that Murray was responsible would be very iffy where I live in the midwest (USA). Sadly, it is true that many, many people believe all the lies about Michael through the years.

As an example, I work in a large hospital. The unit I work in has a large nursing/medical staff. I took in my TII cd to work and offered to let anyone take it home to view it that was sincerely interested in seeing it. Not ONE person had any interest, none! Either they said they really don't care one way or the other about Michael and don't care what happens to Murray, period; or else voicing outright disgust and hatred for the "child molester" or "freak" or "addict", with alot of other hatred and disgust thrown in.

My only hope is that the prosecution has enough provable and damning evidence against Murray that no one on the jury will cause the trial to be tossed. Reality in my world is that it could happen, hoping and praying that LA will be different.

Just sad:(

Does anyone know the standard procecures for selecting the jury?
In Michael's case, there are either lovers or haters. It's very difficult to spot neutral people, and even if they do, I am afraid they will probably be concealed haters, those who went with the m***station accusations or have preconceptions about addiction.

If "them" people are not allowed to do any dirty work and have their own team of Jury in that courtroom then the case will be sovled with no problem trust me on that LA have a lot of shadness going on

Prosecutor: Defense Will Claim Jackson Killed Self

Prosecutor says defense will claim superstar Michael Jackson killed himself with Propofol
By LINDA DEUTSCH AP Special Correspondent
LOS ANGELES December 29, 2010 (AP)

A prosecutor says defense lawyers for Michael Jackson's doctor will claim at his involuntary manslaughter trial that the singer killed himself.

The statement by Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney David Walgren came at a hearing Wednesday where a lawyer for Dr. Conrad Murray clashed with the prosecutor over who should test residue from two syringes found in Jackson's bedroom.

Defense attorney J. Michael Flanagan said a huge amount of the anesthetic Propofol was found in Jackson's body but his client has said he gave him only 25 milligrams of the drug.

Walgren suggested the defense will claim Jackson killed himself by injecting more of the drug into himself.

A preliminary hearing in the case begins Jan. 4.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=12502239

like we didnt know that already lol now the media will act like its some shocking revelation

Last edited:
Back