Making the Case Stick Against Dr. Murray

Memefan

Proud Member
April 13, 2010, 4:03PM PDT
By: David Comfort
Making the Case Stick Against Dr. Murray

“I was looking for justice, and justice, to me,would be the murder charge… Even his kidssay that he had told them that he would be murdered.” -- Joe Jackson, on "Larry King Live"

For several months after that fateful day of June 25, 2009, the LAPD investigative unit chiefs and the L.A. District Attorney hotly debated what charges could be brought against Dr. Conrad Murray in the death of his patient, Michael Jackson.

Most wanted to go for murder, but they feared a déjà vu of the disastrous O.J. Simpson and Robert Blake homicide trials, so embarrassing and demoralizing to L.A. law enforcement.

Indeed, they had less substantive evidence against Murray than against the two acquitted celebrities.

So, finally, erring on the side of caution, D.A. Steve Cooley settled on charging the cardiologist with grossly negligent manslaughter.

As it stands now, the D.A.’s evidence against Dr. Murray is formidable. The autopsy report is against him, as is circumstantial evidence, his own erroneous account, not to mention his checkered past.

Murray told LAPD detectives that he intravenously administered to a sleepless Jackson four sedatives over the course of about eight hours, then 25 milligrams of propofol. But the coroner reported finding a dose of the powerful anesthetic sufficient for general surgery -- 400 milligrams.

The district attorney charges that Murray fell far short of his legal obligation to show a professional measure of care. The doctor’s defense team will have a difficult time refuting or even casting reasonable doubt on this charge, especially in light of evidence that Murray may have been absent for a longer period.

He originally told the police that he gave Jackson propofol at 10:50 a.m., then discovered him with a weak and fading pulse at about 11. But phone records reveal that he was on the phone, speaking “calmly” with three different parties until about 12:08. His Houston girlfriend, with whom he was talking at this time, heard him drop the phone.

“Dr. Murray's timeline of events that day when Michael Jackson died is wrong,” stated his defense attorney, Michael Flanagan. “Doctors make mistakes, and that is what he did, and it was simply just that, a mistake.”

Indeed, that Murray could have discovered Jackson in trouble at 11 but failed to call paramedics for 81 minutes seemed improbable on the face of it. So the prosecution will likely attempt to show that Murray’s original timetable wasn’t really an innocent mistake, but a cover-up effort gone wrong.

But outside the issue of professional negligence, the defense will have an uphill battle portraying their client as a trustworthy and reliable individual. During the arraignment proceedings, Deputy D.A. David Walgreen asserted that Murray “leads an irresponsible and financially unstable life.”

Murray had declared bankruptcy in 1992. Then, on the brink of insolvency again, he abruptly abandoned his Nevada practice, Global Cardiovascular Associates, to become Jackson’s personal physician for $150,000 per month.

He was facing foreclosure on his Vegas mansion and his practice had been hit with nearly a half million dollars in court judgments for unpaid debts. Moreover, he had fathered seven children with six different women; several have filed charges of child nonsupport and fraudulent breach of trust against him, while one has filed a domestic violence claim.

As if all this were not enough to get a conviction, prosecutors likely have an ace or two in the hole: The so-far undisclosed evidence LAPD and DEA detectives may have recovered from his car, his storage facilities, his houses, his offices and/or his computers.

Even so, in spite of having what was called “a mountain” of evidence, the L.A. District Attorney’s office somehow lost the O.J. Simpson case. They were charged with being overconfident, sloppy, short-sighted.

Surely this time around they will be crossing all the t’s and dotting all the i’s to ensure that Dr. Conrad Murray does not walk free.

A prosecution victory will help restore faith in the LAPD and the city's district attorney.

On the other hand, a defense victory will win Chernoff and his team – like the O.J. “Dream Team” -- overnight acclaim and a king’s ransom for future cases.

But either way, no one else will really win a thing. Not Michael’s fans, not his family. Michael will not be resurrected -- but he will be dug up, dissected and desecrated. Murray will not be imprisoned for long, if at all -- but he will be ruined professionally, and maybe personally.

The tragedy is, these were two remarkable black men who came up from nothing and overcame nearly insurmountable obstacles to reach the very top of their professions.

“Ever since I was a little boy,” wrote Michael in his autobiography, “I had dreamed of creating the biggest-selling record of all time.” This son of a poor Des Moines crane operator achieved far more, becoming one of the greatest and most beloved entertainers of the century.

Murray grew up in abject poverty with his single mother in Grenada and didn’t even meet his own father, a cardiologist, until the age of 25. But he followed in his father's footsteps, graduated from medical school magna cum laude and on full scholarship, and went on to open three thriving practices specializing in treating the poor.

Then, years later, after unfortunate setbacks, fate brought these two extraordinary, but now weakened, men together. The first, though worshipped worldwide, lay in bed, incapable of simple sleep without anesthesia; the second, loved by many of his patients but on the brink of bankruptcy, sat at his bedside. Then with a single injection, the lives of these once great men ended.

This is a tragedy that no trial can ever rectify.

Source URL: http://www.thewrap.com/blog-entry/making-case-stick-against-dr-murray-16277
Links:
[1] http://www.thewrap.com/blog/david-comfort

Conrad Murray has shown and proven that he is NOT a remarkable man. He holds the title of Cardiologist, yet doesn't even know how to perform CPR. He started at the bottom and stayed there. He will forever be known as a killer.

Michael Jackson started at the bottom, worked terribly hard, gave all he had to the world and was always the best of the best.

Thanks though for the posting.

I am going to move this to the case forum. Thanks!

Conrad Murray has shown and proven that he is NOT a remarkable man. He holds the title of Cardiologist, yet doesn't even know how to perform CPR. He started at the bottom and stayed there. He will forever be known as a killer.

Michael Jackson started at the bottom, worked terribly hard, gave all he had to the world and was always the best of the best.

Thanks though for the posting.

You know, many times I wonder if his degrees are valid and if anyone has ever checked them for forgery. His actions show he is not a qualified dr.
I am amazed at the fact he was certified by 3 medical boards. They many not be doing their job right after all.

It's been VERY quiet lately. I wonder what Murray's team is doing.

Somehow, I think Peter Lopez's "suicide" has caused them all to remain silent for a while.

Oh, and just a random thought.

I hope Murray's defense team isn't taking that 2009 timeline on here and using it to see how much we know, and to keep their own timeline correct

I think they have their plants everywhere, and it was not a long time ago since all this info was public. By the time most public forums decided to pass protect their IUs, they had got what they wanted.
All clans around Michael have their infiltrators out in the web with a specific agenda. To check on whatever fans know, to intimidate them and to fight back any speculations.

^^^You're right! Sad but true!

"It's been VERY quiet lately. I wonder what Murray's team is doing."
The same here, kasume.

I am afraid now and there are still nearly six weeks ..
I hope + pray the judge will do his work correctly!

One reason why I think it's so quiet is because of Peter's "suicide".

They want to act like the have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with it.

Hell, sometimes I wonder if Murray's lawyer may be under puppet strings now....

Anyways, this is a pic from the last court day. Does anyone know who the guy is on the far left with the white hair? Isn't that Murray's other lawyer? what's his name?

http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow...court-Michael-Jackson-Doctor-600_full_600.jpg

Last edited:
C. M. attorney: Ed Chernoff (right)

Defense team members: Joseph Low (middle), J. Michael Flanagan (left)

By coincidence, he was also the lawyer of the doctor's Elvis. :bugeyed
Therefore he was choosen! Medication/drug abuse and
TMZ spoke to J. Michael Flanagan who told us, "I'm probably the only attorney in town that has successfully tried a Propofol case involving death."

Back in 2004, Flanagan defended a nurse who was accused of wrongly administering the stuff to a patient who later died. The nurse was charged with involuntary manslaughter -- the same crime we're told the D.A. is likely to charge Murray with. But with Flanagan by her side, the nurse was acquitted.
He is also a buiness lawyer: BWM, Nissan, etc.
note: there is a unresolved affair about having a contract or not and if, with whom?

Chernoff recently hired attorneys Joseph Low, who has worked in the media spotlight representing Marines accused of wrongful killings in Iraq,
and J. Michael Flanagan, who represented Britney Spears in a hit-and-run case.
Joseph Low, the lawyer for Nicole Alvarez (C.M.s girlfriend)

The accumulation of these lawyers ...
As I said in another thread: I'm afraid .. I hope the judge do his work correctly.
I hope that now the prosecutors are working so die hard as they did in 2005 to bring Michael down, to bring C.M. behind bares!
This time they would be once on the right side ..

It really baffles me as to why everyone is assuming Dr. Conrad Murray did not know what he was doing when Michael died. Everyone speaks to his incompetence, didn't even know how to do CPR because everyone knows it has to be done on the floor, etc. What about this:

- Conrad Murray is said to have graduated Magna Cum Laude from Medical School with similar achievements from his undergraduate studies. This says that he is certainly of above average intelligence.

- Conrad Murray completed a fellowship in interventional cardiology. That says he had overseers while he learned how to do interventional cardiology of no less than an attending who oversaw his work on every patient he took care of. In interventional cardiology patients frequently are sedated in order to perfom invasive procedures. Dr. Murray probably worked with the drugs he used on Michael many times. Certainly as a physician he was required to know them in and out. Certainly as an interventional cardiologist he had to know BCLS and as well ACLS and I think he did know it. No one seems to be looking at the fact that he actually probably really intentionally and deliberately did everything that he did. In other words Murder 1. This man had too much medical training to not know what he was doing and his intellectual level is too well documented. He could not have gotten to where he is today without knowing.

He simply needs to be charged with Murder 1 because the facts certainly look like that is what he did.

WOW! ! !

It really baffles me as to why everyone is assuming Dr. Conrad Murray did not know what he was doing when Michael died. Everyone speaks to his incompetence, didn't even know how to do CPR because everyone knows it has to be done on the floor, etc. What about this:

- Conrad Murray is said to have graduated Magna Cum Laude from Medical School with similar achievements from his undergraduate studies. This says that he is certainly of above average intelligence.

- Conrad Murray completed a fellowship in interventional cardiology. That says he had overseers while he learned how to do interventional cardiology of no less than an attending who oversaw his work on every patient he took care of. In interventional cardiology patients frequently are sedated in order to perfom invasive procedures. Dr. Murray probably worked with the drugs he used on Michael many times. Certainly as a physician he was required to know them in and out. Certainly as an interventional cardiologist he had to know BCLS and as well ACLS and I think he did know it. No one seems to be looking at the fact that he actually probably really intentionally and deliberately did everything that he did. In other words Murder 1. This man had too much medical training to not know what he was doing and his intellectual level is too well documented. He could not have gotten to where he is today without knowing.

He simply needs to be charged with Murder 1 because the facts certainly look like that is what he did.

WOW! ! !

Your post is so right.. Murray is too smart.. he's a cardiologist and he knows what the effects of those drugs can do.. He left a patient under anesthesia alone and that should never happen and he knows that. Murray didn't even have monitoring equipment around.. It should be murder you're right.

WOW! ! !

thank you for sharing that. This argument DEFINATELY needs to be used in court. I wasn't sure whether the man trained with propofol, but if he was trained with sedatives, then that makes no difference.

And why can't very intelligent people be criminals? Just because he's a doctor, because he's intelligent, doesn't mean he gets lesser charges. The devil is very intelligent also.

Last edited:
Back