Gary Mayor to Announce "Move Forward" For Jackson Center *Merged*

marc_vivien

Proud Member
updated: 5/31/2010 8:35:33 AM

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?ID=41920Gary Mayor to Announce "Move Forward" For Jackson Center

InsideINdianaBusiness.com Report
The city of Gary is planning to release more details Wednesday about a proposed Jackson Family Museum and a Michael Jackson Performing Arts Center. Mayor Rudy Clay will be joined by the late singer's father, Joe Jackson, to announce what officials describe as a "major move forward" for the project. Clay's office estimates the center and museum would bring up to 750,000 visitors to Gary every year.

Press Release
Gary, Indiana-Mayor Rudy Clay and members of the Jackson Family Foundation including Joe Jackson, will hold a Press Conference on Wednesday, June 2, 2010 to announce a major move forward in his quest for the construction of a Jackson Family Museum and a Michael Jackson Performing Arts Center in the city of Gary.

The Press Conference is scheduled for 11:00 a.m. at the Genesis Convention Center located at One Genesis Center Plaza (5th and Broadway) in downtown Gary.

Mayor Clay, other city officials and the Jackson Family Foundation have been working for months on the Jackson project that has the potential to bring 500,000 to 750,000 visitors to Gary and an annual income of 100 to 150 million dollars to the community. In addition, it is projected that the project will generate hundreds of construction jobs and thousands of full-time jobs for the community when the project is completed.

On the heels of the death of Michael Jackson last year, the world’s greatest entertainer, thousands of people have continued to travel to Gary, Indiana from all over the world to see the Jackson house at 2300 Jackson Street.

Mayor Clay has said this development will be one of the world’s most favored destination points.

Source: City of Gary

Re: Gary Mayor to Announce "Move Forward" For Jackson Center

God I wish Michael was here to see this...after all he is the one that will be paying for most of it anyway...:(....I hope it brings much joy to the people of Gary.

i think we will not see a museum anytime soon.

I doubt if this is going to come to fruition if they are planning to use sales of belt to finance such an ambitious project.Some of the residents in Gary dont even think it's going to happen cause a former mayor also promised to build a civil rights museum and collected money from the state.The museum was never built and the money was never accounted for so obviously they are skeptical and dont trust this mayor too.

It would be nice if a family museum is built but they should be prepared for hardwork and get investors instead of looking for quick money making schemes using michael's fans.Gary needs the revenue,if you've been there before you would be surprised it's a town in USA,Looks just like a village in third world country.Personally,I would love a Michael jackson museum in LA or las vegas but there is no harm in having a jackson family museum too.

Fans visit the Jackson home in Gary so it would probably make sense to have a museum there for people to visit whilst they are there. Though in my opinion the money for it should be raised in the right way not for example from schemes like 'beltgate'.

i think the museum ia way of benefiting the kids and teenagers in gary instead of getting involved in gangs or selling drugs maybe that's one of the reason for this performaing arts center

Why is Michael's name the one being used to get this Jackson Family Museum going? He died and it just seems to me that that is what's being used to some extent to get people to come to Gary, Indiana and hence bring all this money in.

do u need to ask lol

Michael Jackson Performing Arts Center - announcement for "a major move forward" expected 6/2/10

Indiana town working day and night for Michael Jackson museum

(CNN) -- The mayor of Gary, Indiana, and Michael Jackson's father, Joe, on Wednesday will announce "a major move forward" to bring a museum and performance arts center bearing the singer's name to the city.

Mayor Rudy Clay has said the project has the potential to bring 500,000 to 750,000 visitors to Gary and an annual income of $100 million to $150 million dollars to the community.

In addition, the Jackson Family Museum and a Michael Jackson Performing Arts Center will generate hundreds of construction jobs and thousands of full-time jobs for the community when the project is completed, the mayor said in a press release...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/02/michael.jackson.museum/

Jackson memorial moved to 2300 Jackson Street

Michael Jackson monument is now located at boyhood home

The Michael Jackson monument that was unveiled last year and that was housed at the Southshore Railcats stadium, has been moved to the boyhood home of Michael Jackson at 2300 Jackson Street.

Joseph Jackson, father of Michael Jackson, and Gary Mayor Rudolph Clay posed for photos with the monument today at the home. Sources say the monument, which is currently wrapped in thick black plastic, will be unveiled on June 25, the date which Jackson died. Plans will also be unveiled on June 2, for the Michael Jackson museum at the Genesis Convention Center in Gary at 11 a.m.

http://www.mjfanvention.com/apps/news-detail.aspx?type=1&newsid=82

Last edited:
Re: Michael Jackson Performing Arts Center - announcement for "a major move forward" expected 6/2/10

That's great news for Indiana and it's people but Joe sure likes to make sure his grubby hands are always in the pot.

Re: Michael Jackson Performing Arts Center - announcement for "a major move forward" expected 6/2/10

*** edit ***

Last edited:

I wonder if they have the approval from the estate to use MJ's name ?

Interesting news. Thank you for this. Look what theyve done to the home, completely fenced off now.

mmmmm not with joe...not with belts...

No offence to Joe, but I think he should let someone else run this, we all know what hes like with business...
I hope it all goes well though :)

Jackson museum site, details promised today

Comments

June 2, 2010

BY JON SEIDEL, (219) 648-3068

GARY -- The hometown of Michael Jackson will again be promised a museum honoring the King of Pop and his famous family today.

When Mayor Rudy Clay and family patriarch Joe Jackson get together at the Genesis Center this morning, it will be to make the third such declaration in two years.

javascript:dc_popup_win('http://www...llbars=no,resizable=no,width=650,height=650')

So far, no dirt has turned.

Nevertheless, Joe Jackson and Clay spent Tuesday touting their latest "major announcement." Clay said it has potential to lure 750,000 visitors and $150 million annually to the community, and he said it's won the approval family matriarch Katherine Jackson.

Answering questions for City Hall's public-access television show, Jackson said he wants to bring his son's museum and performing arts center, as well as the money it could generate, to Gary despite pressure to build it in larger, established destination cities.

"We're bringing something back," Jackson said.

City Hall officials kept quiet about the details of today's 11 a.m. news conference, which is open to the public. It's unclear if other members of the Jackson Family will attend. Clay said the public will hear specifics about the site of the museum and the architects and engineers who will build it.

Though Clay and Jackson looked to downtown Gary for the museum most recently, and Small Farms before that, the mayor said it is now likely to be built near Gilroy Stadium and South Gleason Golf Course, close to Broadway and Interstate 80/94.
The land could even be transfered to the Jackson Family Foundation one hour before the news conference, when the Gary Board of Public Works holds its weekly 10 a.m. meeting at City Hall.

Council member Carolyn Rogers, D-4th, said she was one of four council members who had dinner Monday with Jackson and Clay in Merrillville to talk about the project.
Rogers said she was joined by council members Shirley Stanford, D-2nd, Mary Brown, D-3rd, and Kimberly Robinson, D-5th, as well as Jackson Family Foundation President Simon Sahouri.

"We didn't get a lot of specifics," Rogers said.

That seemed to leave Brown skeptical. She said the museum could certainly give a jolt to Gary's dragging economy, if it's built. "In terms of having all the information that I need to say, 'Hey, this will work,' I can't say that at this point," Brown said.

Clay and Jackson dropped by the family's old home in the 2300 block of Jackson Street on Tuesday. A granite monument to Michael Jackson, originally placed at the U.S. Steel Yard, has been moved to the home's front yard and covered.

The mayor said it will be unveiled near the anniversary of Michael Jackson's death later this month.

Joe Jackson, filmed by a documentary crew, ate lunch at The Stadium Buffet and Grill near the minor league baseball stadium.

But first, he answered questions for "Eye on Gary," City Hall's public-access show. There he talked about raising his children in Gary and his hopes for a museum honoring his son.

"I'm here to carry on his legacy, going back to Indiana," Jackson said.

http://www.post-trib.com/news/2341994,new-gjackson0602.article

I guess that they don't care about estate's approval

the disaster is coming

It would be nice to have a place to honor Michael. I dont know if there is an actual MJ museum in the US but it would be very nice of them to do that.

i think we will not see a museum anytime soon.

I read this Jackson Family Museum have been in the works since 1990's. So, I agree with you, we won't see it anytime soon.

Why is Michael's name the one being used to get this Jackson Family Museum going? He died and it just seems to me that that is what's being used to some extent to get people to come to Gary, Indiana and hence bring all this money in.

To quote EM: "do u need to ask?"

Janet's name wouldn't bring the money.

I'm giving you one guess...and it's not "yes". If he couldn't bother getting approval for the belts, I highly doubt he would ask permission to use MJ's name on a museum.

mmmmm not with joe...not with belts...

Exactly.

oh I love the performing arts center idea too, I believe Michael would too :)

^ of course....if we look at Joe's track record.

I have recently read that the Jacksons don't own the 2300 Jackson street home. Do we know why? I cannot imagine Joe & Katherine would sell that house to anyone. But it seems to be true.
Anyone know, When was it sold?

they don't have money, don't have estate approval.
we'll wait a long time before seeing a museum.

I see a disaster, lawsuit, etc...

I don't know, maybe it's just me, BUT haven't we heard words to this effect for years now?

After that, I have to ask: why is Joe Jackson making this "move forward" announcement on his own? (I already know the answer, but I'll ask anyway. LOL!)

In my opinion, if Joe Jackson is going to be making any announcement regarding a FAMILY museum, then the FAMILY should be there making the announcement with him. Are they all down with this venture or not?

And that's just a first step, the biggest step will be obtaining the FUNDING for such a grand venture.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, BUT haven't we heard words to this effect for years now?

After that, I have to ask: why is Joe Jackson making this "move forward" announcement on his own? (I already know the answer, but I'll ask anyway. LOL!)

In my opinion, if Joe Jackson is going to be making any announcement regarding a FAMILY museum, then the FAMILY should be there making the announcement with him. Are they all down with this venture or not?

And that's just a first step, the biggest step will be obtaining the FUNDING for such a grand venture.

What? Michael Jr, Paris & Prince's signatures aren't enough?

Last edited:

the sale of the commomerative belts are on hold.

What? Michael Jr, Paris & Prince's signature aren't enough?
The sale of those belts ain't even gonna cover the cost of Joe, Majestic and that "OTHER" dude's travel expenses. You know they would want to travel in style in order to impress the town's people. LOL!

we'll wait a very, very long time before seeing a museum in Gary.

they need dozens of millions $. who will want to be associated to Joe ?

Anything involving Joe people should be skeptical about.

"We didn't get a lot of specifics," Rogers said.

That seemed to leave Brown skeptical. She said the museum could certainly give a jolt to Gary's dragging economy, if it's built. "In terms of having all the information that I need to say, 'Hey, this will work,' I can't say that at this point," Brown said.

And the very FIRST thing Ms. Rogers was "probably" hoping to hear was WHERE all of the money to proceed with this venture would be coming from.

Back