What does this line from the song 'Ghosts' mean?

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
What did MJ mean by this line from 'Ghosts'?

Who gave you the right to share my family tree?

[youtube]WHll821HetQ[/youtube]

I think MJ says

"Who gave you the right to shake my family tree?"

I think MJ included the words "shake my family tree" because the media harassed not only MJ but also Debbie (the mother of his children). Any little tidbit of information (especially if it was false information) the media could find about MJ and his family would be twisted and presented to the public for scrutiny even if it was all a lie. We can thank Tom Sneddon and Diane Diamond for a lot of this trash.

Thanx for your input and clarifying that for me friends.

Last edited:
It really means BREAKING up his family which is what shaking the family tree is about = lineage being destroyed.

"Shake my family tree" appears in the lyrics to the BOTDF album from Taiwan, btw.

"Shake my family tree" appears in the lyrics to the BOTDF album from Taiwan, btw.

:clapping:Didnt know that thank you PG.

What else is different about the packaging of BOTDF for Taiwan?

^^^Some of the font around the edge of the CD is slightly bigger than on the rest of the world version plus there's an advert in it for releases by other Sony artists in 1997, hologram card and the lyrics sheet.

Apart from that, it's all the same - I even checked the booklet inside which has one small difference - there's a black box on the last page at the bottom with some text on it.

Ghost is such a great song.

Is It Scary, BOTDF, Morphine, Ghost and Superfly Sister - if only BOTDF had been all new songs and not remixes it would have been the best MJ album ever. The 5 "real" songs on the album are perfect.

I always thought about the 'family tree being shaken' as the constant questioning to the paternity of the kids. As in, 'and who gave YOU the right to even wonder about that'? And it goes well together with destabilizing the family, as someone else mentioning. Even when married, people would 'shake the tree' nonstop, questioning his every decision, children, getting married, divorce etc.

Back