Discarded 'Thriller 2001' artwork

DuranDuran

Proud Member
Apparently, there was going to be another booklet for the remastered version. It appears there was only the original album + 4 extra tracks and no interviews or demos. I can't see the print that well because the scans are not large enough, but it looks like 'Carousel' is longer than the one that was released. This artwork seems better to me, but some of the pictures are not Thriller era though. They could have kept this booklet and just added the extra stuff to the track listing.

03kc2.jpg

04in3.jpg

05pq5.jpg

09uz9.jpg

10es7.jpg

06lr7.jpg

07et2.jpg

08no8.jpg

12dr3.jpg

11fk6.jpg

I reckon they should of used this booklet. I like it more than the one we did get. And the interviews never really interested me, i'd rather have this tracklist with Got The Hots :D

I think it should have had the uncut versions of 'Billie Jean' & 'Lady In My Life' instead of the demos.

I found the interviews quite interesting....but more demos and unreleased material would have been nicer.

I would have had Someone In The Dark, Got The Hots, Carousel (full version), Starlight, Lady In My Life (full version) and Hot Street on there. :)

"Carousel" is NOT longer, the producers of this booklet didn't know the playtimes of the bonus tracks and so randomly specified them all as 4:30 min, simply for demonstration purposes.

They also didn't know the songwriter/composer of "Carousel" and specified it as "Michael Jackson". :lol:
And look at "Someone In The Dark". It says #10 again! :rofl:

02la8.jpg

Last edited:
The original re-masters were so much better than what we ended up with. The Dangerous 2 disc re-master would've been so cool.

Fuck Sony.

The original re-masters were so much better than what we ended up with. The Dangerous 2 disc re-master would've been so cool.

Fuck Sony.
I'm still hoping that what was going to be the second disc of Dangerous still gets released.

I'm still hoping that what was going to be the second disc of Dangerous still gets released.

Well, we have it all now, maybe not officially, but it's out there.

Monkey Business and For All Time all made official releases, and She Got It, Work That Body and If You Don't Love Me leaked years ago.

There ain't much point in releasing it now.

Yep, MJ's the one that didn't want to release it. He didn't want to raise the cost of Dangerous by adding the 2nd disc. That's why that special edition wasn't released.
I heard Sony were the ones that cut the second disc because they didn't think it would sell well at a higher price point.

I know I would have bought the double cd set of Dangerous had it been released. When they cancelled that, I was pretty upset....then there was rumors of replacing Dangerous with a remix version of it......thankfully that never happened.

It would have been nice to have gotten something more with the Dangerous re release.

Anyhoo...back to the topic at hand I guess. lol

I can read "Vincent Price", "Got the Hots", "Carousel", and "Someone In the Dark". This looks amazing, though :)

I love the artwork, especially the cover :) What does the original booklet look like?
Do you mean when Thriller was 1st released on CD in the late 1980's? If so, it wasn't a booklet, but a fold out sheet, which was common with early CD's. Also, when CD's 1st came out, they came in a long cardboard box, which was discontinued later in the early 90's, mainly because environmental groups started complaining about the waste of the longboxes. The longboxes also took up a lot of space in the stores.

I love that booklet.It's so much better than what was released.I could have also done without the interviews.More unreleased tracks would have been better.Dangerous 2-disc would have been incredible.Shame.

Soooo pretty. Wish I could read the text in the little boxes and stuff. =/ Thanks though, it really is stunning - even though I find the anachronistic photos funny...could they not find a couple more pictures of him from that era? LoL. I coulda' helped them. =P

[OT - I was half-kidding, but I really do think it would behoove the estate (and the family...) to have a fan on board to proof everything. We wouldn't have ended up with an Opus stating that "Heal the World" was released in 1989 and a monument in Gary with a picture of Navi on it... :doh: Just sayin'.]

ive seen this years ago lol. and lmao thanx for pointing out the typos

I love that booklet.It's so much better than what was released.I could have also done without the interviews.More unreleased tracks would have been better.Dangerous 2-disc would have been incredible.Shame.

Yes, I love that booklet, but I also love what I have. Also, I am pretty sure as part of this 10 project deal they will re-release dangerous w/ bonus tracks which means an extra disc- so we will probably have it anyway.

Thriller SE 1st acetate cd (1999)

01 Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
02 Baby Be Mine
03 The Girl Is Mine
04 Thriller
05 Beat It
06 Billie Jean
07 Human Nature
08 P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
09 The Lady In My Live
10 Vincent Price
11 Got The Hots
12 Carousel
13 Someone In The Dark

Thriller SE 2nd acetate cd (2001)

02 Baby Be Mine
03 The Girl Is Mine
04 Thriller
05 Beat It
06 Billie Jean
07 Human Nature
09 The Lady In My Live
10 Quincy Jones Interview
11 Someone In The Dark
12 Quincy Jones Interview
13 Billie Jean
14 Quincy Jones Interview
15 Starlight
16 Rod Temperton & Quincy Jones Interview
17 Voice Over Session from "Thriller"
18 Rod Temperton & Quincy Jones Interview
19 Carousel
20 Quincy Jones Interview

Thriller SE final release (2001)

02 Baby Be Mine
03 The Girl Is Mine
04 Thriller
05 Beat It
06 Billie Jean
07 Human Nature
09 The Lady In My Live
10 Voice Over Intro & Quincy Jones Interview #1
11 Someone In The Dark
12 Quincy Jones Interview #2
13 Billie Jean
14 Quincy Jones Interview #3
15 Voice Over Intro & Rod Temperton Interview #1
16 Quincy Jones Interview #4
17 Voice Over Intro & Voice Over Session from "Thriller"
18 Voice Over Intro & Rod Temperton Interview #2
19 Quincy Jones Interview #5
20 Carousel
21 Voice Over Intro & Quincy Jones Interview #6

Apparently, there was going to be another booklet for the remastered version. It appears there was only the original album + 4 extra tracks and no interviews or demos. I can't see the print that well because the scans are not large enough, but it looks like 'Carousel' is longer than the one that was released. This artwork seems better to me, but some of the pictures are not Thriller era though. They could have kept this booklet and just added the extra stuff to the track listing.

03kc2.jpg

04in3.jpg

05pq5.jpg

09uz9.jpg

10es7.jpg

06lr7.jpg

07et2.jpg

08no8.jpg

12dr3.jpg

11fk6.jpg
Can someone reupload these photos

Can someone reupload these photos
I'll upload if I can find them. I know I have saved them somewhere.

2ee56ed63d17a0e54f43445251fb6dea.jpg

^ this picture was printed on the booklets front cover; replacing the original while keeping the iconic "Michael Jackson" & "Thriller" font.

Back