Different versions of MJ porcelain statuette?

myosotis

Proud Member
I am intrigued by a small number of different versions of the MJ-sanctioned porcelain statuette that are suddenly coming on the the market. Are these genuine variations, do you think?

The pink one (!!!) is especially unusual. Someone's been inspired by photoshop, perhaps.:scratch:
Hmm well it probably goes with the red Neverland wristband......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Michael-Jacks...d-edition-/280550156575?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Michael-Jacks...140440658103?pt=UK_Music_Music_Memorabilia_LE

Last edited:
Hi again, and thank you for your comments. I am still in two minds (partly about buying them, although I'm not really a porcelain collector, but more about their history, as I just find them so puzzling). I have had more time to google this and have found a couple of websites that indicate that these might(?) be 'real', but later -produced versions...though I'm still not sure ( I guess it would be possible to take a mould from an original and cast new ones). Anyway, this the website with a bit of a story to it... The article suggests that there were a lot of unpainted statuettes left, but also says that they were first being painted up all in gold (my underlining below)..so the pink still seems like an oddity...though its a lot of trouble to go to to make one statuette...hmmm I need Sherlock. Then they seemed to change to an iridescent white with black trim (See the pictures on this website, plus the 'seated' statuette). Now they seem to have temporarily suspended production.

http://michaeljacksonstatues.weebly.com/

My name is Istrate Adrian, in the '90s my family had a little porcelain factory. We didn't produce large quantities of items, we opted for limited edition, high-quality, hand made items. We have been creating masterpieces for years.

In 1998, Dieter Wiesner, the director of Mistery Germany, contacted me and ordered a series of statues resembling Michael Jackson. Not long after that, 1000 pieces were completed in beautiful gold and platinum colors and finished, by hand, with face like colors for greater detail. Those statues were numbered and sent to Germany to be sold by the Mistery company as souvenirs. We started creating more statues but halted the production because of a series of scandals Michael Jackson got involved in.

Today, we have a little under 1000 pieces left in their crude form which we airbrush in gold paint completely. The Michael Jackson statues represent the King of Pop in the HIStory 1997-1998 tour. When Michael was in Japan, he got a visit from Dieter Wiesner which showed him two of the models we have created for him. One of those are the ones we still have today although they had more detail back then. Seeing the statues , Michael Jackson insisted to have his picture taken with them and Mr. Wiesner so that he could put an autograph on it and send it to us as a token of his admiration with our work.

Today, these statues are waiting for true fans to get them and hold on to something to remember Michael Jackson by, besides the wonderful albums he left us.

Last edited:
Um…have you already bought one? A lot of fans avoided buying them, but in my opinion this statues are still the highest quality official MJ memorabilia ever made.

Eh…'temporarily suspended production', they probably had contract with MJ for 1 series of 1000 limited statues with white pad, ones with black pad might really be prototypes-because somewhere i saw a picture of Michael holding one of these… they probably decided to made few 'special editions' to make a little more profit, since they already had moulds made and cheap manufacturers from Asia ..but who knows , i wouldn't believe everything on this site and people selling them now.

Original porcelain statues were made in China for 'Carlitta collection' & were all sold with certificate on various events for approx. 90gbp/$130…

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2009/music-icons/michael-jackson-61.html
lnj-Slika2.jpg

My 3 soldiers :D, pictured on 17th of June 09 …now i have only 2, one i gave to fellow MJ fan. I bought them in June 09 from one very kind German seller who offered me 4, but no one i knew was interested in them at that time:p

Um…have you already bought one? A lot of fans avoided buying them, but in my opinion this statues are still the highest quality official MJ memorabilia ever made.

Eh…'temporarily suspended production', they probably had contract with MJ for 1 series of 1000 limited statues with white pad, ones with black pad might really be prototypes-because somewhere i saw a picture of Michael holding one of these… they probably decided to made few 'special editions' to make a little more profit, since they already had moulds made and cheap manufacturers from Asia ..but who knows , i wouldn't believe everything on this site and people selling them now.

Original porcelain statues were made in China for 'Carlitta collection' & were all sold with certificate on various events for approx. 90gbp/$130…

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2009/music-icons/michael-jackson-61.html
lnj-Slika2.jpg

My 3 soldiers :D, pictured on 17th of June 09 …now i have only 2, one i gave to fellow MJ fan. I bought them in June 09 from one very kind German seller who offered me 4, but no one i knew was interested in them at that time:p

Oh, thank you that's really interesting. I haven't bought one (yet ) as I've seen too many different versions and am not sure about which to (potentially) go for. I'd only seen some rather poor photos, and sometimes the faces didn't look really well painted, and I think that it's important to find a really good likeness. (or at least as good as is possible in porcelain, LOL). It seems there is a Romanian producer/ seller out there, but I didn't know that originals were made in China. There are some different black and white ones being sold from Austria. I know MJJ licensed official merch. (and I guess the Estate will sort out any additional licensing) so I'll look out for that . Lucky you...you have a nice set there, and they look really beautifully painted, with very delicate faces. I'm also surprised that they weren't more popular, but I think that is changing now. I usually go more for paintings than for porcelain, but these figures have definitely 'grown' on me.

Last edited:
I bought these two last week:
4929588086_fcf3756292_z.jpg

4929588342_1deb0f04d4_z.jpg

The one one the right was one of the 1000 series and came with a certificate.
The one on the left was made from leftover stock they had.

They ware actually made in Romania.
Here's a pic of MJ with them:
http://www.juliensauctions.com/imag...eatured/michael-jackson-history-statuette.swf

Oh, these look great. You did well to find a numbered one with a certificate. I do like the white one too...the description suggested that the white finish was iridescent, so you get different colours according to the light..is that right?

I see one of the 'prototypes' (black base) is up for sale on its own now
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Michael-Jacks...140443922956?pt=UK_Music_Music_Memorabilia_LE
but there is also suposed to be another 'prototype' on sale with a white base from another source
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Michael-Jacks...rototypes-/230516921909?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

but neither of these look much like the certificated version....so the confusion seems to go on and on. Seems there are a few uncertificated copies out there, as well as some genuine 'post-original 1000' 'extras'.

The version I saw with black armour and lapels and white jacket has gone back on sale too, from yet another supplier, but none of these have certificates.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Michael-Jacks...261001390&po=&ps=63&clkid=6123200346529272232

Last edited:
The white one has a kind of oily/pearly shine to it.
Be careful with the prototype statues, because as you can see in the link you posted, the are prototypes for a reason: the first one is bent backwards quite a bit!
!B1MVMLw!mk~$(KGrHqYOKnEEw83qbTm!BMdc+3EYBg~~_12.JPG

I read that they made a few thousand pieces in the first run. The 'best' 1000 were selected and numbered and shipped to Dieter Wiesner. The company then had a whole bunch of them left. Some of them they painted al gold (ugly IMHO). And after that they started making some of the white ones, but stopped due to technical issues (whatever that means).

The white one I have also tilts back a bit (maybe the head is 1,5cm more to the back than on the gold one) when compared to the 'real' one, so I guess thats why it was discarded at first.

I'm not sure what's going on with all the crazy colored ones so I'd stick with the original colors (limited and the white one, or maybe the black base prototype one, that seems nice as well).

I liked the all white one cause it reminded me a bit of MJ in the Space Channel 5 PS2 game:
spacemichael_2.jpg

i have one of these original gold statues that is signed by michael, with photos of him signing them in las vegas in 2003 i believe.

Hi again mthalen...Interesting about the 'lean back' on 'non gold' versions...though I quite like the different stances, and it reminds me of Michael dancing.

Hi Cartman...did MJ sign the box, or did he sign the back of the certificate that came with it? (I've seen pictures of both...for different 'soldiers').

Hello everyone. I found this thread while looking through the links to my website, which is the website that the user myosotis mentioned.

I feel like I have to set some things straight. First of all, from what I know, the Carlita statues have never been made in Asia. Or perhaps they turned to them for production and we here in Romania knew nothing about.

What I wrote on that website is true. I am personal friends with the person that made the statues here in RO in 1998. Well, I know his son argo, his father too. They can't remember all the details as it was long ago. But I can assure you that the production of the second 1000 piece batch has stopped back then. I don't think I should post here the reasons to why that happened, but I can tell you that it was not because of the producer of these.

What you see now on the website, are simply left overs from back then. From that 1000 piece batch, many of them were destroyed or deteriorated. Now there are very little of them left which are not decorated. I don't know where the Pink ones came from.

The only ones we made here in Romania are there on that site. Those being the ones in complete gold, iridiscent ones with black trims and the normal white ones with black trims. We also recovered one original decorated one which we sold, one or two I can't remember. We still have the big statue where MJ is sitting on a throne. The background of that one is on the same website.

I don't know if I covered everything here, so feel free to ask whatever questions you want. I will try my best to answer them.

Hello Dim.Ab and thank you for your helpful background information on these. It has not always been easy to tell (when non-signed statues come up for sale eg on e-bay) whether they are part of the second batch or something else altogether eg the pink soldier. It is extremely helpful to know that the all-gold, iridescent white and 'normal' white all came from the same source, and thank you for confirming this.

Something to look out for are numbered statues and ones with certificates. The second batch doesn't have neither of those because they were never finished.

I just got some information about that statue, the purple one. They were made here in Romania by the same company that made the HIStory ones, like the gold/platinum one etc.

A large number of them were decorated as tests with all sorts of weird colors, as you can see in this one. It's very poorly painted.

Most of them were bought back then by an italian, no one can recall his name. Apparently these too have resurfaced.

Hi again and thank you for sharing the background to that one. You can see the underlying figure looks nicely made, but I do agree he looks as if he fell into a paint pot. Perhaps he had a paintball fight with 'the artist formerly known as Prince'.

I hope some of the other colours resurface, just for interest, although I do think the ebay starting price for this one is somewhat high.

Back