23 August 2010 Hearing-All discussion here

JMie

Guests
Does anyone know what time it'll be? How long the hearing might last - will it be short like the previous court hearings or it could take several hours?

What can we expect tomorrow? Will they announce some evidence?

Re: Prelim tomorrow

Not sure what time it starts tomorrow but CNN said it might last all week. Feeling so sick with nervousness about it.

I just hope they are taking this whole thing seriously and set this thing down for trial...this has been a long wait. Murray needs to be punished for what he did...Michael needs justice. This wont bring him back....but it can start the ball rolling to justice.

courts norally start around 8.30 but all hearings are different.going by the mj4 justice comment doesnt look like it will start till around 10 am?

hearing could last weeks or days dont really know. i read the nicole smith one lasted 3 weeks.

What can we expect tomorrow? Will they announce some evidence?
from wiki...

Preliminary hearing
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Within some criminal justice systems, a preliminary hearing (evidentiary hearing) is a proceeding, after a criminal complaint has been filed by the prosecutor, to determine whether there is enough evidence to require a trial. In the United States, the judge must find there is probable cause that a crime was committed.

At such a hearing, the defendant may be assisted by counsel; in U.S. jurisdictions, there is a right to counsel at the preliminary hearing.[1] Contrast this with some jurisdictions in the United States, where a person may be charged, instead, by seeking a "true bill of indictment" before a grand jury; where counsel is not always permitted.

The conduct of the preliminary hearing as well as the specific rules regarding the admissibility of evidence vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Hearsay is typically allowed. Should the court decide that there is probable cause, a formal charging instrument (called the Information in some jurisdictions) will issue; and the prosecution will continue. If the court should find that there is no probable cause, then typically the prosecution will cease. Many jurisdictions, however, allow the prosecution to seek a new preliminary hearing, or even seek a bill of indictment from a grand jury.

Some important questions, generally addressed in such a hearing, are:

1. Did the alleged crime occur within the court's jurisdiction?
2. Is there probable cause, to believe that the defendant committed the crime?

If a judge determines that there is sufficient evidence to believe that the defendant committed the crime, it is said that the defendant is "held to answer" or "bound over" (in U.S. jurisdictions).

After a defendant is held to answer, the judge will set a date for arraignment. A new pleading is filed with the court (sometimes called an "information") and the defendant can enter a plea at his or her arraignment date. The defendant is usually given the date that he will officially stand trial at this arraignment.

Last edited:

thank you for that info...

btw, I know it will take several days. I was just wondering, if it will take the whole day tomorrow (like from 12 pm to 6 pm) or less time. Because it will be night time in Russia and I am not sure I'll be able to stay up the whole night...

I hope we'll have a thread just for updates from the courthouse like elusive asked in another thread, because we are all in different time zones and it'll be difficult to some to follow the hearings live...

preliminary hearing
n. in criminal law, a hearing to determine if a person charged with a felony (a serious crime punishable by a term in the state prison) should be tried for the crime charged, based on whether there is some substantial evidence that he/she committed the crime. A preliminary hearing is held in the lowest local court (municipal or police court), but only if the prosecutor has filed the charge without asking the Grand Jury for an indictment for the alleged crime. Such a hearing must be held within a few days after arraignment (presentation in court of the charges and the defendant's right to plead guilty or not guilty). Since neither side wants to reveal its trial strategy, the prosecution normally presents only enough evidence and testimony to show the probability of guilt, and defendants often put on no evidence at all at the preliminary hearing, unless there is a strong chance of getting the charges dismissed. If the judge finds sufficient evidence to try the defendant, the case is sent to the appropriate court (variously called superior, county, district, common pleas) for trial. If there is no such convincing evidence, the judge will dismiss the charges. In the "Perry Mason" television series, the courtroom scenes were almost always of preliminary hearings.

See also: charge Grand Jury information arraignment

After a defendant is held to answer, the judge will set a date for arraignment. A new pleading is filed with the court (sometimes called an "information") and the defendant can enter a plea at his or her arraignment date. The defendant is usually given the date that he will officially stand trial at this arraignment.

I just want to clarify that I beleive the arraignment was held earlier this year. In any case, everyone should be in the courtroom and has checkon my the court clerk ay 8:30 am pst. The judge usally starts no later than 9:00am.pst
If anyone can add to this or correct me if I am wrong please do.

Thanks.

Keep in mind that it might be delayed - that has been mentioned as a possibility before.

prelims can take several days to several weeks and yes the DA will mention some of their evidence to show probable cause

I just want to clarify that I beleive the arraignment was held earlier this year. I
you have two arraingments i believe. the initial one after the charge which murray had and then one after the prelim or G.J incase the charges have changed

btw, I know it will take several days. I was just wondering, if it will take the whole day tomorrow (like from 12 pm to 6 pm) or less time. Because it will be night time in Russia and I am not sure I'll be able to stay up the whole night...
justice4mj group are doing tweets from 10am L.A time from the court so i dont know if thats when its starting. i guess so. time depends i guess on other things happening at the court house whos booked in. but the earliest is around 8.30am. we will know b4 hand what time its starting. the day normally ends around 4.30pm

OMG it's feels like 05 all over again! :( *sigh* I'm still not or that! Hopefully Mj will get Justice again!

The preliminary hearing is not starting today.. According to the AP this is just another scheduling hearing to determine when the preliminary hearing will be.. This is a farce.. They said at the last hearing that the prelim will start today

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100823/ap_on_en_mu/us_michael_jackson_doctor

Doctor charged in Jackson's death due in court

LOS ANGELES – The doctor charged in Michael Jackson's death is due back in court for a scheduling hearing that will determine when prosecutors will publicly present some of their evidence.

Dr. Conrad Murray is required to attend Monday's hearing, during which a Los Angeles judge is expected to schedule a preliminary hearing for later this year.

The judge will decide at that hearing whether there is enough evidence for the involuntary manslaughter case against the cardiologist to continue. Murray, who maintains offices in Las Vegas and Houston, was charged in February for administering a lethal dose of anesthetic propofol to Jackson.

Murray has pleaded not guilty and his attorneys have said the physician did not give Jackson anything that "should have" killed him.

Last edited:

According to CNN, the preliminary hearing is not today. Today is just a hearing to set the date for the preliminary, which is in OCTOBER. WTF is this CRAP?????

“I want to give this case priority,” Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor said. “It is a very serious matter for Dr. Murray, for the Jackson family and the community at large.”
Pastor said the schedules of everyone involved in the case and the need for preparation time required that a preliminary hearing be moved back to at least Aug. 23, with a requirement to start within 60 days after that. A trial date can’t be set until that process concludes.

http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2010/06/14/727394.aspx

radaronline (not the most credible source) is reporting that they will ask the prelim to be delayed to January 2011.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusiv...d-murray-wont-face-justice-until-january-2011

plus when he set the Aug 23rd date he said that the date could be delayed.

so I guess we'll wait and see.

i hate this. my heart hurts and I can't breathe.

Meanwhile, Murray will be free enjoying life and practicing medicine..Nearly 1 1/2 year after Michael was killed.
This is all so disgusting.
And certainly not serving justice.

guys keep the faith.

we discussed this before, although it looks unfair this slow process is normal.

we discussed this before, although it looks unfair this slow process is normal.
I was prepared that the case would take a long time. What I don't understand is why the judge said in June that the prelim would start on Aug 23 and today even before the actual hearing the prelim is already rescheduled? And the press is writing about it like it was a known fact from the start, which it wasn't. We didn't know. And the press knew. Why?

I was prepared that the case would take a long time. What I don't understand is why the judge said in June that the prelim would start on Aug 23 and today even before the actual hearing the prelim is already rescheduled? And the press is writing about it like it was a known fact from the start, which it wasn't. We didn't know. And the press knew. Why?

I quoted a statement from him a few posts above

Pastor said the schedules of everyone involved in the case and the need for preparation time required that a preliminary hearing be moved back to at least Aug. 23, with a requirement to start within 60 days after that.

so he actually set a time frame which is between August 23 to October 23 for the prelim to start. That's what CNN is reporting by October.

Radaronline's January 2011 (if true) is a new possibility of delay.

However I thought this delay was expected. We heard over and over that Murray's lawyers complaining that they didn't receive the documents - that's the way to pave such a delay request.

And actually once the real case starts it could be over in a few months. All these steps before the trial is what takes a long time.

WTH! so today is jsut another day to set a date for the prelim?

I quoted a statement from him a few posts above

so he actually set a time frame which is between August 23 to October 23 for the prelim to start. That's what CNN is reporting by October.

Radaronline's January 2011 (if true) is a new possibility of delay.

However I thought this delay was expected. We heard over and over that Murray's lawyers complaining that they didn't receive the documents - that's the way to pave such a delay request.

And actually once the real case starts it could be over in a few months. All these steps before the trial is what takes a long time.

ok, I see that. I guess it was overlooked in June.. I don't remember seeing that in June. Perhaps I missed it.

At this rate, Murray will be 90 years old before a trial begins. They already set a date in June, to set a date in August, to set a date in October. WTF?

I also have been prepared for the preliminary hearing to begin today.
Woke up this morning to hear news reports that today is just
another scheduling day. I was not aware that the judge had stated
prelim could be Aug-Oct time line. For heaven's sake.

And, yes, the news is reporting about todays hearing as if it's
been known all along. Geez. 2 more months. Sorry, Michael.

this is a total joke if true. once again the media cant report anything properly and lead everyone to think that the prelim is starting today when theres a possibility that it was never even planned to start today right back from the last hearing in june.

Am I really pissed right now??

YES

Do I understand something in all that's happening in this crazy case&

NO

Do I wish I could just tell everybody to bring their asses in court and put this man in jail?

HELL YES

When is this circus gonna end, or at least TAKE PLACE!

Damn, it,s a knife in our chest every 'hearing'... justice is laughing at us.

Back