I Know Why Disney's Shows Have Gone Downhill!

Karice

Proud Member
Because Michael Eisner, former CEO of Disney left Disney like in 2005. If you pay close attention, during Michael's run, the original DC shows were really good. Jett Jackson, So Weird, The Jersey, Bug Juice, Even Stevens, Lizzie Mcguire, the Proud Family, That's So Raven, Phil of The Future, Suite Life of zack And cody. At night, they had full music concerts such as Celine Dion and ray j's concert. In the Middle of the night, they showed Zorro. The DC movies were also awesome and used to come out every month, such as Motocrossed, Smart House, Luck of The Irish, Can of Worms, Ready To Run, Double Teamed, The Other me, and A Ring Of Endless Light. They used to show good non DC shows to such as Smart Guy, Sister Sister,and boy meets world.

After Michael resigned, the shows went downhill, ie., Hannah Montana, Cory in the House, Sonny With A Chance, and Jonas. The movies were now about 6 months apart, and not as good as the Eisner run... The only glimpse that DC now shows of the good old Michael run is Phineas and Ferb and The Suite Life On deck. I actually like the Deck series more than the Zach and Cody series. I enjoy every episde of the deck, while there were a few epises of the ZC episodes I really didn't like that much... :doh:

Omg :doh:

I allways wonder why that happend and now I know. :yes:

They're all mediocre, with the exception of Lizzie McGuire, Kim Possible, That's So Raven and The Proud Family.

The reason why the shows have gone downhill is because Hannah Montana was such a success that they strove to make more of that, eliminating cartoons down to just Phineas and Ferb. Then again, this is Disney Channel--not exactly anyone's idea of quality television (an oxymoron in itself.)

However, the point you bring up is very interesting. It could very well be true that things went from bad to worse after this Michael Eisner left Disney. The question is--why would he do such a thing? Disney is garbage nowadays, yet highly lucrative. I doubt he would fare much better elsewhere since the rival industries more or less follow the same model. There must have been reasons we don't know all about that influenced his choice.

I know that if I was the CEO of an evil corporation that raked in the cash like there was no tomorrow, and I thought along the lines of such a person, I wouldn't leave it for the world. Thus, there must have been something to cause a complete break from Disney.

Disney is not the same and i'm sure it wont go back to the way it used to be. Todays kids are more into things like the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus blah

I so agree with you guys. I so miss the way the Disney Channel used to be. I used to so L.O.V.E. watching all the old Disney cartoons that they used to show. Like Winnie The Pooh and all the old Mickey Mouse, Pluto, and Donald Duck cartoons. I don't like the updated 3d type versions ones of today. The Disney Channel is the one cable channel that I very hardly ever watch anymore. And when I think a few years or so ago it was one of my favorite channels to watch. Not anymore it is not.

Wizards of Waverly Place is pretty good, and I enjoy the "Suite Life" series (both the original and the "On Deck" seasons); but Nick shows trounce all over them. iCarly, Victorious, and Tru Jackson are great. Dan Schneider is on a roll with these kid shows he's producing, and definitely on the level of his 90s work (All That and Kenan and Kel). Even Drake and Josh was really good. I just wasn't a fan of Zoey 101, tried too hard to be a kiddy version of a generic CW show compared to the absurd slapstick you get from "Drake and Josh", iCarly, and the like.

In my opinion, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel and Cartoon Network have been riding the sh*t train since the 2003/2004.

Last edited:
I miss the old Disney Channel. The Changing of the CEO thing makes sense. The timing's right. Even Stevens, That's So Raven, and Lizzy Mcguire were the last shows I enjoyed. Now, though? ...I rarely go to the channel, if ever.

And don't get me started on Nickelodeon!

If you pay close attention, during Michael's run, the original DC shows were really good. Jett Jackson, So Weird, The Jersey, Bug Juice, Even Stevens, Lizzie Mcguire, the Proud Family, That's So Raven, Phil of The Future, Suite Life of zack And cody.
woah! I haven't heard that name in a while. I loved that show. Disney Channel used to be the sh**t. That was my favorite channel, loved the movies and everything. Don't watch much now. :(

I want Walter Disney back... :(

Thriller style if necessary.

:p hahaha!

lol what evs man. I am an adult and I adored Hannah Montana, I thought it was adorable... in the same way that Lizzy Maguire was adorable. They basically had the same type of concepts, type of actors and characters, etc... I think they should do more cartoons, but... time has a lot to do with it, marketing, society, etc. Kids are less interested in cartoons because of society around them making them grow up too quickly.

Nickelodeon used to be great. Remember; the Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Rocko's Modern Life, Pinky and the Brain, Goosebumps, Are You Afraid of the Dark, All That(circa Amanda Bynes, Keenan and Kel) to name just a few.

^Yess. All those! Minus Pinky and the Brain though...wasn't that Warner Brothers?

I never had Disney Channel growing up so I can't compare. The shows on Disney are not too bad, They are meant for kids anyway not people in my age group.

The Suite Life isn't bad at all. Dylan & Cole are very nice kids.. I've met them a few times.. I used to know their manager really well. I've also met several other people from Disney Channel. Not just actors but ppl who work behind the scenes too. Its a good network to get children away from Unnecessary Ads and Adult Content..

My favorite Disney movie though is SELMA Lord SELMA and that was made when Michael was CEO.. Excellent film.. I loved with ABC did the wonderful world of walt disney every sunday night

29057_10150183189200521_548265520_12204158_6310959_n.jpg

Do you all not think that perhaps Eisner was actually the one who set in motion all of the stupid crap Disney produces now, but just left in time so he wouldn't be blamed for it? Walt's nephew, Roy Disney, wanted him out of the company and claimed he was destroying it (though then again he also said this about whoever ran it in 1984, too).

Though maybe I'm a little biased since the guy creeps me out.

michael-eisner-picture-1.jpg

If Walt was still alive.............he'd probably be disgusted by what's become of the company he and his brother built!!!!!!!!!

During Michael Eisner's run, the DC movies were all very good, and a few of them were based on true stories, and the ones that weren't mostly rocked. Here is a trip down wonderful ME Movie Disney Lane. :)

In random order

1. Double Crossed-True Story about two identical female basketball players, one of the first female basketball players.

2. Motocrossed- A movie about a girl cutting her hair and pretending to be her twin brother to compete in Motocrossing, a male dominated sport.

3. Tru Confessions-A movie about a normal teenage girl, who has to deal with her mentally disabled twin brother.

4. Phantom Of The Megaplex- A movie about a "phantom" trying to get a megaplex movie theater shut down.

5. A Ring Of endless Light- A group of teens have to stop a bunch of marine workers from killing dolphins.

6. Luck of The irish- A teenage boy who usually is lucky, ends up getting unlucky, and realizes that he is turning into a leprecaun, and a bad guy put a bad luck curse on him.

7. The Other Me- A normal teenage boy clones himself, and his clone, of course, acts like a 5 year old, when he should be acting like a 13 year old boy.

8. Gotta Kick It Up- A dance team begins at high school school, think an early version of You got Served.

9. The Cheetah Girls- A movie about four teenage girls trying to make it big in the music world. This movie was so popular, it spured 2 sequels, something rarely done by DC. I think the only other DC movie that spurred two sequels was High School Musical.

10. Cadet Kelly- A movie about an independent, free-spirited teenage girl, forced to join uniformity at a Military School.

11. Stepsister From Planet Weird. A movie about a teenage girl, who realizes that her normal looking ew stepsister and stepfather are actually aleins from another planet!

12. The Color of friendship- A true story about Apartheid in South Africa, set , and racism,between a Black African American girl, and her White South African foreighn exchange guest in America.

13. Selma, Lord Selma.-A true story about the Martin Luther King boycotts and marches and also prejudices and segregation, set in 1955.

14. Smart House- A movie about a futuristic, technological house suddenly becoming very bossy and controlling, as "Kat," the computer who runs the house is now trying to be like a mother.... Awkward....
:)

I think all those channels are mediocre cause right now the fathers are teaching the kids things with no value... A lot of people now is very empty... They just thing about sex, partying and all that stuff and like Elton John Said: "Love is all you need"

I agree, those shows today sux ass big time. Disney should make another which they can call "Disney Retro", which they can air old shows and cartoons like "Donald Presents", "Welcome To Pooh Corner", "Dumbo Circus", "Quack Attack" and classic Disney movies, I love those shows. I watched those shows on the Family Channel, Canada should have "Family Retro" like we have "Teletoon Retro", Disney should bring back playing retro shows and cartoons right now.

I agree, those shows today sux ass big time. Disney should make another which they can call "Disney Retro", which they can air old shows and cartoons like "Donald Presents", "Welcome To Pooh Corner", "Dumbo Circus", "Quack Attack" and classic Disney movies, I love those shows. I watched those shows on the Family Channel, Canada should have "Family Retro" like we have "Teletoon Retro", Disney should bring back playing retro shows and cartoons right now.

They actually DID have that for a while. It was called Toon Disney. They used to show the classic Disney cartoons, along with shows like Darkwing Duck, Tale Spin, Quack Pack, Duck Tales, etc. They also used to show a Disney feature film (i.e. The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Aladdin, etc.) every day at 5 p.m.

Unfortunately, that channel recently got turned into Disney Channel II, I assume because the ratings were low in comparison to the skyrocketing ratings the first Disney Channel gets (thanks to millions of brainwashed little girls who don't know any better.)

So, long story short, since they had that and chose to get rid of it, I doubt they'll give it another go. They don't really give a damn about what the intelligent, often nostalgic public wants to see. As long as millions of little girls are hypnotized into adoring their mediocre shows and *most importantly* their parents throw their money away in order to fuel their obsession like an enabler would a crack addiction, they've got the money in the bag and they're not changing their ways.

So get ready to watch this go further down the very slippery slope and into the toilet. =P

Because Michael Eisner, former CEO of Disney left Disney like in 2005. If you pay close attention, during Michael's run, the original DC shows were really good. Jett Jackson, So Weird, The Jersey, Bug Juice, Even Stevens, Lizzie Mcguire, the Proud Family, That's So Raven, Phil of The Future, Suite Life of zack And cody. At night, they had full music concerts such as Celine Dion and ray j's concert. In the Middle of the night, they showed Zorro. The DC movies were also awesome and used to come out every month, such as Motocrossed, Smart House, Luck of The Irish, Can of Worms, Ready To Run, Double Teamed, The Other me, and A Ring Of Endless Light. They used to show good non DC shows to such as Smart Guy, Sister Sister,and boy meets world.

After Michael resigned, the shows went downhill, ie., Hannah Montana, Cory in the House, Sonny With A Chance, and Jonas. The movies were now about 6 months apart, and not as good as the Eisner run... The only glimpse that DC now shows of the good old Michael run is Phineas and Ferb and The Suite Life On deck. I actually like the Deck series more than the Zach and Cody series. I enjoy every episde of the deck, while there were a few epises of the ZC episodes I really didn't like that much... :doh:

That makes sense, thanks.

I remember one time years ago on Halloween, Disney Channel actually showed MJ's video "Thriller" late night. It was the first time I ever hear of Michael and first time I ever saw the video.

I miss the classics like The Little Mermaid, Mulan and the like. Now it's all made on the computer like Toy Story, Finding Nemo etc. To me disney animation lacks the charm they always had. I still like the movies like Pirates of the Carribean or Prince of Persia but the last few years it's mostly being the same all over again. I mean Lizzy Mcguire was nice. High School Musical was ok too. But then the whole load of those kind of series/movies came like Hannah Montana etc etc.

I'm like stop sitting behind your computer and sit behind your drawingdesk and make more good quality movies instead of a zillion teen idol stuff.

I miss the classics like The Little Mermaid, Mulan and the like. Now it's all made on the computer like Toy Story, Finding Nemo etc. To me disney animation lacks the charm they always had. I still like the movies like Pirates of the Carribean or Prince of Persia but the last few years it's mostly being the same all over again. I mean Lizzy Mcguire was nice. High School Musical was ok too. But then the whole load of those kind of series/movies came like Hannah Montana etc etc.

I'm like stop sitting behind your computer and sit behind your drawingdesk and make more good quality movies instead of a zillion teen idol stuff.

I agree. I hated HSM though. XP

I think the whole Computer Animation thing is overdone, too. It worked wonders for Toy Story, but by now it's really the --only-- medium these people use to make movies. Quite frankly, I think it's ugly and it lacks the beauty the animated films are so rich in. My bias is probably due to the fact I'm an artist, though. Still, it would be nice to see some variety in the way children's films are handled these days. There's too many people trying to all do the exact same thing and it drives me mad. As you said, the whole Hannah Montana f--ery inspired other channels to follow that dark path--namely, Nickelodeon. These people and their corporate greed are selling adolescence to children! They're glamourizing the worst period in the human lifespan for profit, and selling it to innocent children, some of which will believe what they say and be sorely disappointed when reality stares them grimly in the face. It's disgusting.

When will these people let children be children?!

During Michael Eisner's run, the DC movies were all very good, and a few of them were based on true stories, and the ones that weren't mostly rocked. Here is a trip down wonderful ME Movie Disney Lane. :)

In random order

1. Double Crossed-True Story about two identical female basketball players, one of the first female basketball players.

2. Motocrossed- A movie about a girl cutting her hair and pretending to be her twin brother to compete in Motocrossing, a male dominated sport.

3. Tru Confessions-A movie about a normal teenage girl, who has to deal with her mentally disabled twin brother.

4. Phantom Of The Megaplex- A movie about a "phantom" trying to get a megaplex movie theater shut down.

5. A Ring Of endless Light- A group of teens have to stop a bunch of marine workers from killing dolphins.

6. Luck of The irish- A teenage boy who usually is lucky, ends up getting unlucky, and realizes that he is turning into a leprecaun, and a bad guy put a bad luck curse on him.

7. The Other Me- A normal teenage boy clones himself, and his clone, of course, acts like a 5 year old, when he should be acting like a 13 year old boy.

8. Gotta Kick It Up- A dance team begins at high school school, think an early version of You got Served.

9. The Cheetah Girls- A movie about four teenage girls trying to make it big in the music world. This movie was so popular, it spured 2 sequels, something rarely done by DC. I think the only other DC movie that spurred two sequels was High School Musical.

10. Cadet Kelly- A movie about an independent, free-spirited teenage girl, forced to join uniformity at a Military School.

11. Stepsister From Planet Weird. A movie about a teenage girl, who realizes that her normal looking ew stepsister and stepfather are actually aleins from another planet!

12. The Color of friendship- A true story about Apartheid in South Africa, set , and racism,between a Black African American girl, and her White South African foreighn exchange guest in America.

13. Selma, Lord Selma.-A true story about the Martin Luther King boycotts and marches and also prejudices and segregation, set in 1955.

14. Smart House- A movie about a futuristic, technological house suddenly becoming very bossy and controlling, as "Kat," the computer who runs the house is now trying to be like a mother.... Awkward....
:)

Damn, I love all the movies! I loved all the Disney Channel Original Movies that came out in the 90's up to around 2003. Anyone remember Wish Upon a Star (1996)? Brink (1998)? Genius (1999)? Horse Sense (1999)? Jumping Ship (2001)? Halloweentown (1998)? Model Behavior (2000)?

*sigh* I miss watching all of these on TV. They just don't show 'em anymore. :(

mikagesouji;3017602 said:
I agree. I hated HSM though. XP

I think the whole Computer Animation thing is overdone, too. It worked wonders for Toy Story, but by now it's really the --only-- medium these people use to make movies. Quite frankly, I think it's ugly and it lacks the beauty the animated films are so rich in. My bias is probably due to the fact I'm an artist, though. Still, it would be nice to see some variety in the way children's films are handled these days. There's too many people trying to all do the exact same thing and it drives me mad. As you said, the whole Hannah Montana f--ery inspired other channels to follow that dark path--namely, Nickelodeon. These people and their corporate greed are selling adolescence to children! They're glamourizing the worst period in the human lifespan for profit, and selling it to innocent children, some of which will believe what they say and be sorely disappointed when reality stares them grimly in the face. It's disgusting.

When will these people let children be children?!
I´m not an artist at all but I don´t like computer animations, it´s ugly.Disney has made so many beautiful animated movies before for example Lion king.
I haven´t seen new Disneyfilms for years but Michael said before he passed people want a meaning in the songs they listen to and I think it´s the same for movies.

This is why I don't pay attention to the new Disney Channel much anymore. Suite Life of Zack and Cody used to be my favorite TV show on that channel but ever since those dopey High School Musical films aired, I've avoided it because it's not meant for people in my age group. Hannah Montana is what I also used to watch too, but like I said, not for people my age because Miley's becoming a young woman now and she's into more serious stuff.

Back