What British TV shows are shown is the US?

MJ_Jordan

Proud Member
I'm just curious. Britain is shown alot of US TV shows, dramas/comedies/reality TV etc.
Just wondered if it was the same the other way around. :)

The only one that airs in Canada (that I know of) is Coronation Street...I know you're just asking about the US, but you got me curious as to whats played in Canada :)

Yes, it's the same case over here. PBS airs them. The ones I know of off the top of my head are Keeping Up Appearances, Waiting for God, Fawlty Towers, Are You Being Served?, As Time Goes By, The Thin Blue Line, Mr. Bean, Hetty Wainthropp Investigates, EastEnders, Monty Python, and the Benny Hill Show.

I don't know if all of these are still on American TV or not, these are just the ones I remember seeing listed throughout the years. I've only ever watched Keeping Up Appearances (which is great), and Mr. Bean.

Yes, it's the same case over here. PBS airs them. The ones I know of off the top of my head are Keeping Up Appearances, Waiting for God, Fawlty Towers, Are You Being Served?, As Time Goes By, The Thin Blue Line, Mr. Bean, Hetty Wainthropp Investigates, EastEnders, Monty Python, and the Benny Hill Show.

I don't know if all of these are still on American TV or not, these are just the ones I remember seeing listed throughout the years. I've only ever watched Keeping Up Appearances (which is great), and Mr. Bean.

Oh, yeah that's right...Mr Bean used to play here...I don't think it does anymore though...

I used to watch a lot of British comedies on American TV, like Keeping Up Appearances, Mr Bean, Absolutely Fabulous, the Vicar of Dibley, etc. So funny!!

Also some British shows were remade for American audiences like The Office (successful) and Coupling (unsuccessful).... and I think some others I'm blanking on!

I just totally L.:heart:.V.E. the British shows. Mainly because they are much better to watch than our American tv shows. The ones that I L.:heart:.V.E. to watch are:

Keeping Up Appearances
The Last Of The Summer Wine
Are You Being Served?
As Times Goes By
and Waiting For God

They used to show:

Vicar Of Dibley
Fawlty Towers
Monty Python
Absolutely Fabulous
The Thin Blue Line
Mr. Bean
Rosemary and Thyme
and My Family

But the PBS stations decided to stopped showing them. :sad: And I just Loved those shows. Especially My Family which I just absolutely L.:heart:.V.E. the most out of all the British shows I had ever seen. I even have the first 3 seasons on dvds. Kris Marshall is just absolutely insane on that show. He is just so extremely funny as Nick Harper. Especially in my most favorite episode where he tries to exorcise his father. And I do remember for a short time that the one PBS station used to show The Eastenders but that was one British show I couldn't seem to get in to. Maybe I was just too young at the time to really understand it.

My mom used to watch Absolutely Fabulous. I watched it sometimes because she happened to have it on but wasn't really into it.

What's the name of the show with the two older, um robust, not very attractive women who came to people's houses to clean up their disgustingly dirty homes? LOL I watched that sometimes.

Well, I don't really belong here as I'm from Australia lol. But I thought I'd let you know about our tv anyway :2cents:

Australian television is dominated by US shows, big time! Like most of the main channels have it on during prime time, and actually even day time tv.
Then there's the Aussie shows, like the dramas, reality shows, quiz-shows, and of course the news. I'm not entirely sure how much Aussie shows there are compared to US shows because I don't watch much tv anymore, but from what i remember, the US shows are more popular during my dinner time lol.
British shows don't get a lot of Aussie airtime unfortunately. They're usually on the less-hyped-up channels and you kind of have to go to out of your way to watch them, whereas the US ones are just there all the time you can't avoid it if you tried lol.
I would like a more even distribution though personally.

You Americans have stolen everything from us Brits. :p I'm kidding.

I love how people in England are obsessed with the American shows (I am addicted to Heroes, Pretty Little Liars, Gossip Girl and The Ellen Show) and it also seems to be the other way around.

I know that Skins is very popular in the US and so is Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.

You Americans have stolen everything from us Brits. :p I'm kidding.

I love how people in England are obsessed with the American shows (I am addicted to Heroes, Pretty Little Liars, Gossip Girl and The Ellen Show) and it also seems to be the other way around.

I know that Skins is very popular in the US and so is Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.

I am an American and I never even heard of the shows Skins and Pretty Little Liars. They probably are on channels that I don't get. I only have basic and extended cable. But I always figured it was the opposite in England. When it comes to our American shows. But like I said I think the British tv shows are far more better to watch than our American shows. But I so wish I had the cable channel BBC America. Where I can watch the British shows all of the time. Instead of only on the weekends.

Also some British shows were remade for American audiences like The Office (successful) and Coupling (unsuccessful).... and I think some others I'm blanking on!

I remember seeing an American remake of a popular British comedy called Red Dwarf, but it had been altered so much and the humour was so different that it was barely recognisable as the same programme. I think it flopped in America anyway, but maybe if they had just aired the British version, it would have been as well-liked as some of our others that you all seem to like so much :)

they used to show my family here in north america :( i miss that show
it's one of my fave british sitcom

I am an American and I never even heard of the shows Skins and Pretty Little Liars.

Pretty Little Liars comes on ABC Family. It comes on during the summer. Dont know much about Skins.

What about Being Human? Is that Brit show? Is it popular?

For all the people saying they love My Family: In my honest opinion this show went downhill in later series and was not nearly as funny as it used to be but others might disagree with this, but in my opinion you're not missing much lol

It seems funny to hear you all talking bout Nick/Kris Marshall because he left this show a loooooong time ago and is now the star of a series of BT (British Telecom) commercials instead :D

This...?

And I love "My Family" too, I have the box set. :)

there's a BOX SET? really? where did u get it ? i want it lol

For all the people saying they love My Family: In my honest opinion this show went downhill in later series and was not nearly as funny as it used to be but others might disagree with this, but in my opinion you're not missing much lol

It seems funny to hear you all talking bout Nick/Kris Marshall because he left this show a loooooong time ago and is now the star of a series of BT (British Telecom) commercials instead :D

oh really ? :(
guess i'll go back to watching mr. bean and benny hill lol

Hey Everyone
I am Watch an American Shows alwayz. Many Shows are There like
Dexter
Supernatural
How I met your Mother
Breaking Bad
The Walking dead
These are also famous in America.

Back