Billie Jean vs Like a Virgin

BillieJean84

Proud Member
First, I don't know when the two were released but I can't help but notice as I listen to Billie Jean, theres something in the background, I guess an instrument or whatever musical note, that resemebles Like a Virgin a lot. I don't know if Madonna & MJ were influences on each other during the 80's but its just something I noticed.

Discuss.

First, I don't know when the two were released but I can't help but notice as I listen to Billie Jean, theres something in the background, I guess an instrument or whatever musical note, that resemebles Like a Virgin a lot. I don't know if Madonna & MJ were influences on each other during the 80's but its just something I noticed.

Discuss.

It's the bassline, it's similar, and has the route note (the key) hit by another bassline in the same rhythm as billie jean when the route is played in the bassline (the first and 4th quaver in the bassline). Billie jean came out first and Like a Virgin is one of many songs that could well have been influenced by Billie Jean.

Discuss.

If you arn't confident with musical vocab then in short they have musical similarities.

MJultimatemusiclegen pretty much said it all, but Shabuya, do you really don't know when Billie Jean was released??:bugeyed

Just to prove the point

[youtube]0uWr0C51buY[/youtube]

Actually, I remember Madonna saying in one interview that she took that bassline from Billie Jean. Edit: I can also hear the same bassline in song "Caribbean Queen" by Billy Ocean. Maybe I'm wrong, did anybody else notice that?

Last edited:
I also notified in material girl has almost the same baseline as can you feel it... Or maybe is just me

Actually, I remember Madonna saying in one interview that she took that bassline from Billie Jean.

Well Madonna did take Freddy Demann, Michael's former manager as well as some of the band members from right off The Victory tour.

Back