Video- Roof Collapse At Metrodome

Prince Of Pop

Proud Member
Minnesota got NAILED by a bad blizzard, dumping almost 2 feet of snow on Minneapolis. Yesterday the NFL delayed the Vikings game between them and the Giants to tomorrow night at the Metrodome....until this happened early this morning.

Game rescheduled to play at Ford Field in Detroit Monday Night. Only reason it wasn't scheduled to play at the outdoor stadium at the University of Minnesota is because the field isn't ready and would take a week to prepare.

Sounds like the Vikes may play there next Monday night against the Bears...as the dome more than likely won't be ready......wow! Thought you all would enjoy seeing this video. So glad no one was injured or killed.

I saw this on the news tonight. That is some stunning video footage. I remember being near the Metrodome when I visited Minnesota several years ago.

What happened was Saturday night they had crews up on the roof trying to remove the snow..but because high winds and visibility were an issue, they were told to stop and try again in the morning.

By early AM, small tears were already happening, as you can see in the footage early on, snow melted and leaked onto the field.

By 5 AM Minneapolis time, the weight on the roof was so bad, the roof gave way in 2 sections. This is the 4th time in 27 years the Dome roof has deflated...IMO this is by far the worst.

can you image what would have happened had a game been going on in there? Think of how many people would have been injured or maybe killed.....wow

Minnesota got NAILED by a bad blizzard, dumping almost 2 feet of snow on Minneapolis. Yesterday the NFL delayed the Vikings game between them and the Giants to tomorrow night at the Metrodome....until this happened early this morning.

:bugeyed Holy crap!

What happened was Saturday night they had crews up on the roof trying to remove the snow..but because high winds and visibility were an issue, they were told to stop and try again in the morning.

By early AM, small tears were already happening, as you can see in the footage early on, snow melted and leaked onto the field.

By 5 AM Minneapolis time, the weight on the roof was so bad, the roof gave way in 2 sections. This is the 4th time in 27 years the Dome roof has deflated...IMO this is by far the worst.

can you image what would have happened had a game been going on in there? Think of how many people would have been injured or maybe killed.....wow

Hmmmm. This is just a thought, but maybe they should opt for a roof that isn't inflatable. :thinking:

Well that's what the Vikings have been wanting in their quest for a new stadium for the last several years. They either want a retractable roof, or a fixed roof-(like the one in Detroit at Ford Field). If not, it would be an open air stadium like the University of Minnesota's "TCF Bank Stadium".

While I would love to see outdoor football in Minnesota again, it gets REALLY REALLY cold here in the winter. Minnesota is one..if not thee coldest states in the lower 48.

Guess we'll see what happens in the months to come as this issue heats up at the state capital in St.Paul.

I'm betting that the Monday night game against the Chicago Bears will be played at TCF stadium. It will be outdoors, and in the cold, but it will be in front of the home fans, and it'll keep revenue in our own state.

Also, the Bears are use to playing out in the cold, and they actually would have an advantage over the indoor playing Vikings. Gonna be an interesting next couple days. :)

Officials have determined after inspecting the Metrodome, that it will take some time to get it repaired, so Monday night's game against the Chicago Bears will not be able to take place in the dome. The NFL, Vikings, and the University Of Minnesota are working together to get the game played at TCF Bank Stadium on the U Of M's campus...that means for the 1st time since 1981, an NFL game will be played outside in Minnesota. :)

Sounds like besides the roof, there were other things damaged during the collapse. Some seating was effected, and the structure that holds the teflon roof in place has to be fixed too.

News from the state capital in St.Paul has emerged that some legislatures/Senators will introduce a bill during the next session for a new Vikings Stadium to replace to dome. Early indications are that racinos (slot machines) would be installed at dog racing tracks, with the revenue from those going towards the stadium effort. This would surely make it easier for the tax payers to swallow as it is not a new tax. Racino's generate hundreds of millions of dollars a year, so if this were to go through, the stadium could be paid off in a few years tops.

Governor elect Mark Dayton has said he would support funding for a new Vikings stadium, within reason. This would be one of those ideas he'd support. :)

This is looking very promising.

I couldn't believe what I was watching when it came on the news! :shock:

The U Of M has done a magnificant job in getting the snow removed from TCF Bank Stadium. The Vikings and Bears will be playing in Minnesota out in the cold Monday night for the Vikings home finale of the 2010 NFL season.

In regards to the dome, another panel on the roof collapsed the other day. Here's some pictures of the damage from inside the Metrodome.

224435-metrodome-collapse.jpg

MetrodomeRoofSnow.JPG

Yes he did. I'll never forget the '91 World Series, and "The Catch".

If it wasn't for Kirby in the field, and at the plate in game 6, we wouldn't have won the series.

Metrodome memories with the Minnesota Twins who moved out of the dome and into their new stadium Target Field this year. :)

Best moment in Viking history at the Metrodome IMO. This was from last season. The Vikings playing the 49ers. We were down, and old man Brett Favre had 1 more comeback left in him....

Back