Why do some people say Michael couldn't have done the 50 shows?

I was just looking at this

http://www.michael-jackson-trader.com/tours/historytourdates.html

I count 42 shows, all in a row. Of course with the breaks that every artist has. But wasn't this the plan for This is it anyway? So how come alot of people after his death started saying 'The 50 shows was ridiculous to begin with...no way was he gonna do that.'

Clearly nonsense...i was never aware that he did so many shows in a row. History tour almost consisted of 50 shows without long breaks.

I think he could have pulled it off. I think that some people believe that MJ was gonna perform on the 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17, 18th etc. He was taking day or two off inbetween concerts and also there was about a three month break inbetween shows. Plus all the shows were being held in one place so it's not like MJ had to deal the jet lag or anything like that.

Being physically capable to do something doesn't necessarily mean you're mentally capable.

Michael himself expressed doubts about doing that many shows, after all it had been over ten years since Michael had performed a full-length concert. It's not easy for anyone to get up on stage in front of thousands of people, add to that Michael had been publicly ridiculed, humiliated and torn apart for the best part of a decade. Do you not think that would've had some kind of effect on his self-esteem and mental wellbeing?

I think this is the reason why Michael had apprehensions about completing these run of shows. In TII, you can see he is physically capable, but I think it would've been a huge emotional and mental drain for him to return to the stage in such an intense way after going so long without performing at all.

Which does not mean that he could not have done. Michael was a professional and, personal concerns aside, he would have done what needed to be done.

but i can remember them saying at the birthday party in london a year before it was going to happen that he was saying he was going on tour :yes:but you got to be ready for more then a year to do 50 shows if you havent done any touring for about 10 years :yes:

However, we'll never know for sure if he really did or did not want to do 50 shows. Remember some fans claimed they spoke to MJ and that he wasn't happy with 50 shows at all, and that he only agreed to 10 shows.

I had heard Michael was surprised to find he had to do 50 dates rather than the previous handful.

HOWEVER

I do think he could have done the 50. In TII he looked energetic enough. What I will say is that from watching TII and comparing it to some of his past shows, whilst his past ones required him to have a lot of energy and the backing dancers did very little, in TII the backing dancers played a much bigger role, in my view easing the pressure from Michael himself to do highly energetic routines alone. TII also had a lot of additional production (like the 3D films) making it a totally different show to his others therefore not pressuring him to overdo it.

Yes he was 50 but I think he was in good enough shape to do what was required of him and I think with the extra production and more input from the dancers hugely relieved the pressure that past shows would have done.

He could have EASILY done 50 tour dates, many doubters were twats from tabloids like The Sun (UK)

Michael always had doubts when touring. Michael even said he hated touring due to time zones and the adrenline after a show, because he just couldn't sleep.

Yes he could have pulled it off, as Michael was always in good shape.

It was the news which said this crap and it all started with the "Cancer" rumour and it got worse when Michael moved dates back due to not enough rehearsal time.

Being physically capable to do something doesn't necessarily mean you're mentally capable.

Michael himself expressed doubts about doing that many shows, after all it had been over ten years since Michael had performed a full-length concert. It's not easy for anyone to get up on stage in front of thousands of people, add to that Michael had been publicly ridiculed, humiliated and torn apart for the best part of a decade. Do you not think that would've had some kind of effect on his self-esteem and mental wellbeing?

I think this is the reason why Michael had apprehensions about completing these run of shows. In TII, you can see he is physically capable, but I think it would've been a huge emotional and mental drain for him to return to the stage in such an intense way after going so long without performing at all.

I agree with you.You make some great points.

Back