Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 187 USD, Received: 140 USD (75%)
We need your help...Please if you can help us with our cost's it will be hugely appreciated.

View RSS Feed

Psychoniff

Best MJ lyrics

Rate this Entry

[QUOTE=Psychoniff;4097550][QUOTE=TehHolySpir1t;4097542]I tend to think MJ lyrics aren't so great when you READ them. The words alone can't be compared to Bob Dylan lyrics, for example. Bob Dylan lyrics can often be read as poems and be very touching without the music. However, [B]Michael's performance makes all the difference. He was so good at making you [I]feel[/I] whatever mood the song tries to convey, because his voice is so versatile.[/B] He could sing any genre and make you feel exactly the way he wanted you to feel. I love listening to MJ while looking at the lyrics in the album booklet, because the words and the performance complement each other perfectly.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I recently coined a term for this, I call it Emotive Vocal Singularity (EVS):': tailoring the emotions of ones vocal performance to fit the particular theme of the song at hand.' This is important in understanding what set MJ as a vocalist apart from his forebears like Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and James Brown, as well as his 'babies' Justin Timberlake, Chris Brown and Neyo. If you Just listen to three of his hits [B]"Thriller"[/B], [B]"Billie Jean"[/B] and [B]"Smooth Criminal"[/B], in all three his vocal performance is nuanced and tailored emotionally to the lyrics and theme of each song. In [B]"Thriller"[/B] he convinced the audience that creepy creatures were really about to attack you. In [B]"Billie Jean"[/B], he convinces you through his vocal performance that he is on the edge a breakdown over a femme fatale. In [B]"Smooth Criminal"[/B] is masterfully reports from the crime scene that bloody scene is apparent, all through rusted staccato style singing. Now image when other artists try to cover his songs like the ones above it usually comes off as not very convincing because they fail to employ EVS. Now image someone like Elton John singing [B]"Thriller"[/B]? Would you at all be convinced? Go watch Chris Brown's performance of [B]"Thriller"[/B] at the 2006 BRIT Awards. Did he convince you at all?

[QUOTE=TehHolySpir1t;4097542]I tend to think MJ lyrics aren't so great when you READ them. The words alone can't be compared to Bob Dylan lyrics, for example. Bob Dylan lyrics can often be read as poems and be very touching without the music.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, why would anyone compare any other musicians bar maybe Curtis Mayfield, Elvis Costello, Lennon-McCartney and Bruce Springsteen to the song-writing prowess of Bob Dylan? He is primarily a SONGWRITER! Not a singer, nor a dancer or an electric live performer. His legacy will be tied up mostly in his poetic and philosophical lyrics. He will not be remembered for gyrating on stage like MJ, vocalising like MJ, bringing a concert of people to their knees like MJ.[/QUOTE]

Submit "Best MJ lyrics" to Facebook Submit "Best MJ lyrics" to Twitter

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments