Michael Jackson's popularity among "older people" in the 70's and 80's

englishhooligan

Proud Member
So you know how for the most part, people who were growing up in the 1980's and 1990's don't like "today's hit music" like Drake or Post Malone? Well, I am wondering, what did people who grew up in the 1950's and 1960's think of Michael Jackson and his music (Jacksons included). Was it similar to what we get today with people saying "Ugh, that Gucci Gang stuff isn't real music" or did people of all ages just get hooked to Michael Jackson straight away.

Wasn't from that era so I don't know and just wanted to perspective of people around then. :)

I think that’s the thing that always astounded people when it came to Michael Jackson. People of ALL ages were mesmerised by his magic. Even on the Victory Tour the crowd members are saying MJs reach is multigenerational.

It’s an interesting thing to consider but Gucci Gang vs something like Billie Jean is a different question. Different generations are quite open to someone like Bruno Mars, for example. MJ was similar.

This can't be said in general, just like you can't generalize the taste of the current generation. The mainstream isn't everything.

The less you learned where an artform came from, the less you will understand it.
My German parents (born in the 50s, socialized with international / american white Rock music in the 60s-70s) liked some of his music.
My German grandparents didn't like him or his music at all. For them this type of american pop and rock music sounded too erratic, too overloaded, too much stuff they couldn't figure out about it. :D But that was just them. I'm sure every generation has open minded people who are open to all sorts of art and music.

My nan used to like to him, she said she would never change station when he came on the wireless (radio) and my granddad used to say that Michael reminded him of a young Fred Astaire

Back