[J5: Come And Get It] Are some songs playing at wrong speed? (like "You Can't Hurry Love")

Maxym

Proud Member
Donations
$6.00
Hello,

(I hope it's alright to post J5 related questions here, otherwise, please feel free to move it to the right the right place.)

I've have had this nit-picking question in my head for a few month I guess... (No one around me who I can really ask it... the few people I know who like MJ don't go further than Thriller-Bad-Dangerous... So I finally registered on in some place where I hope I can find at least a few people who can go further ... )

In the Jackson 5 2012 release "Come And Get It: The Rare Pearls", I feel like "You Can't Hurry Love" (CD2, track 2) is played slightly too fast, it doesn't feel like natural sound. (It actually gives me some amusing "image" that Michael needs to pee but has to finish the song first.)

So I took the song in sound editing software and slowed it down a bit (in the software it's actually a stretch of the time), it really doesn't need much. (Note: I'm not a musician.)

I first tried 111% stretch: voice seemed better, but now some lower background instruments sounded a bit too slow.
I then tried 105%: sounds much better to me.

So I'm wondering if other people can notice the same or is it just me having no sense of rhythm?

I had similar impression with CD2 track 1, "If You Want Heaven", but it sounded more obvious on "You Can't Hurry Love", not sure about the other songs, 3. "Keep Off The Grass" seems fine.

(I got more nit-picking thoughts and questions about other releases, but I'll keep them for later, this one is the one that disturbed me the most.)

Re: [J5: Come And Get It] Are some songs playing at wrong speed? (like "You Can't Hurry Love")

I think it's supposed to be that way. The leaked alternate take isn't much different.

However, the Supremes' original version has indeed a little slower tempo.

Re: [J5: Come And Get It] Are some songs playing at wrong speed? (like "You Can't Hurry Love")

I have the impression that the alternate take is too fast too. Maybe they did it like that on purpose ...

Back