Why the general disinterest for the Victory tour around here?

JichaelMackson

Proud Member
All talk here is about the bad tour. There is some interest in the Triumph tour although that is also limited. There is virtually no talk about the Victory tour and absolutely no talk at all about any other tours.
But I want to single out the Victory tour. What is wrong with it, why is there a lack of interest?
Perhaps because Michael didn't want to do the tour? Perhaps because it is not a true solo tour? Another common view I hear is that many are not a fan of the backing band. Perhaps people don't like the Jermaine solo segment?

Despite the common view being that MJ is at it's peak around 1987-1992 for my feeling his performing/singing peak is around 1977-1984 hence I'm more interested in concerts of that period. I'm taking the liberty here to include 77/78, we haven't seen much for those years but I'm fairly certain the goin places/The Jacksons concerts must have been every bit as impressive as the Destiny tour footage I saw.

better songs, better dance, better band & backing singers, better outfits.

Personally, I’m not very interested in anything from the Jacksons, music or tour related. They’re all immensely talented no doubt, but I always found them rather uninteresting. Even though Michael was always the frontman, their tours seemed so much more underwhelming than MJ’s solo tours in terms of material and staging.

Victory tour feels less like a "jacksons" tour imo because Thriler happened. His brothers became the background noise to MJs fame after that. Triumph tour is the last Jacksons tour before MJ completely overshadowed them.

better songs, better dance, better band & backing singers, better outfits.

Let me add, Better stage design, better stage lightning, better choreoagraphy, better gimmicks, better camera angles.

I don't like how many of the songs sounded on the victory tour. And as alwaysthere points out many fans are mostly interested in solo MJ.

I don’t dislike the Victory Tour, but to me, it just doesn’t live up to the Triumph or Bad Tours. Maybe the reason is that Michael was pretty much forced to join the brothers for this tour, so the aura is a tad bit less powerful. I just enjoy the concerts when Michael actually seems to enjoy perfoming on that stage, which I felt more watching Triumph and Bad Tour concerts

All talk here is about the bad tour. There is some interest in the Triumph tour although that is also limited. There is virtually no talk about the Victory tour and absolutely no talk at all about any other tours.
But I want to single out the Victory tour. What is wrong with it, why is there a lack of interest?
Perhaps because Michael didn't want to do the tour? Perhaps because it is not a true solo tour? Another common view I hear is that many are not a fan of the backing band. Perhaps people don't like the Jermaine solo segment?

Despite the common view being that MJ is at it's peak around 1987-1992 for my feeling his performing/singing peak is around 1977-1984 hence I'm more interested in concerts of that period. I'm taking the liberty here to include 77/78, we haven't seen much for those years but I'm fairly certain the goin places/The Jacksons concerts must have been every bit as impressive as the Destiny tour footage I saw.
Today is my anniversary of going to the Victory Tour Jacksonville Florida show at the Gator Bowl 1984. Victory Tour was great beyond words.

boy you always beat me to some topics. i'm guessing you and me share the sign or close lol! i love the victory tour. this tour and other tours has been talk about on this forum. there was topic about the victory tour not too long ago. you probably missed them or wasn't a member.

i love the victory tour but do have a problem with it due to the fact michael didn't want to do the tour like you just said. other then i love this tour and it definitely needs to be more recognize. this is the first tour michael did before he when solo. i find it crazy how people don't know about it.

but like you said michael became more out there when he came out with bad though. i mean it's out there and has been talk about lots of times before.

your not the only one believes and agree he was at his peak off the wall and thriller era.

so i don't know why the victory tour doesn't get alot attention. there people who does like it.

Let me add, Better stage design, better stage lightning, better choreoagraphy, better gimmicks, better camera angles.

I don't like how many of the songs sounded on the victory tour. And as alwaysthere points out many fans are mostly interested in solo MJ.

I agree with all of this. The Jackson 5 concerts were absolutely excellent, but the sound on the Victory Tour was awful. I found that the brothers annoyed me, most of the time, when my interest had switched almost exclusively to MJ.....they took song time and stage time away from him. I just wanted to see Michael, Michael and more Michael.

I would definitely buy Victory Tour concert if they released it on DVD or Blu-Ray.

The band's sound is the biggest negative for me. The organic sound of the Triumph and prior tours was set aside and replaced with synths that, at that stage, were just not well-suited for live shows yet (I think this affected the Bad and Dangerous tours negatively too). Some of the songs sound a bit lackluster in terms of performance as well. I do think that a properly mixed Victory Tour show could make me appreciate it more, the audio recordings we have are all very flat or low quality. The same goes for the visuals: we just do not have a quality recording like we have of the later tours.

The setlist is okay but slightly underwhelming given the possibilities they had (though this is an unfortunate constant for most of MJ's tours..). I mean, imagine if they'd have performed songs like PYT or Baby Be Mine...

I do really like the stage with its multi-colored lights and MJ's clothing was among the best of his career. And while I think he became a better performer on the Bad Tour, this era has many unique and excellent performance aspects too. The fact that it was the last tour where he fully sang live is also a major plus.

I would definitely buy Victory Tour concert if they released it on DVD or Blu-Ray.

Me too. they release it on VHS back in the day. so i would love to see it HQ also. even though michael didn't want to do this tour. this was a awesome tour to see him on stage. he didn't want to do it but he still gave us a show. he was great on that stage. :D

Me too. they release it on VHS back in the day. so i would love to see it HQ also. even though michael didn't want to do this tour. this was a awesome tour to see him on stage. he didn't want to do it but he still gave us a show. he was great on that stage. :D

they never released it on VHS.

Like everyone saying most people went to go see michael. he gave us a show even though he didn't want to do it. my mom says the samething she couldn't go to the concert because they didn't have seating at the time. but if she could have she would prefer to go to this tour just to see mike. :D not only that she would prefer to see his early tours as well like density and triumph.

my mom loves michael regards but she really into the off the wall and thriller era. i love bad and thriller era. my mom don't do social media but i like to always tell people her opinions about michael etc with mines. mostly my opinions are almost the same as her.

i have some of her genes. :D

it's probably unofficial but it's pretty cool someone got it on tape. it's probably gonna be the only victory tour we see.

it's probably unofficial but it's pretty cool someone got it on tape. it's probably gonna be the only victory tour we see.

This was leaked back during the Great Leaks of 2015, a couple of years after a LQ version was leaked by Steve(001). There are also Kansas City (incomplete) and Dallas online as well, but the quality on both are not as good as Toronto's

I hope they release one of the concerts seen in this video:

If MTV show this after he pass i'm pretty sure there more stuff out there. they did show alot rare stuff after he pass. i'm not sure where all that stuff is now. but i know they probably exist. somewhere....

For me the Victory Tour is the perfect genesis of the Bad Tour, everything Mike was disappointed with on the Victory Tour was greatly improved in 1987

Just going off the Toronto show, there's loads of little things I find annoying about it, the lack of backing dancers for Beat It, MJ wearing his shades at the start of Beat It, Marlon copying all of Mike's moves after he did them, the noise Marlon makes during songs like the start of Heartbreak Hotel, how ordinary and lifeless Human Nature sounded (compare it to any show in 87 and its night and day)

I think it's telling Mike didn't like the tour and said so in his autobiography, I think he said he was unsatisfied with it as a whole, he was outvoted on tons of stuff and he was disappointed in his own performance overall. I think to Michael's credit, he perfected his stage presence from here, he looks so much more polished and in control during the Bad tour. I think he really discovered the power of movement from here on, he knew when to do something extremely fast (but still smooth) and then when to slow it right down to grab the audience's attention ad reengage them. So for that I'm thankful to the Victory Tour

I do love the adlib from the Toronto show during Rock With You, "I put it in my pocket girl", I wish he would have done that a couple of times on the Bad Tour

I will say, I'm glad the Toronto show leaked for those who wanted to see a Victory Show, I do come across as harsh on the show but it was great to see it and I'm grateful it was shared

Last edited:
I will say, I'm glad the Toronto show leaked for those who wanted to see a Victory Show, I do come across as harsh on the show but it was great to see it and I'm grateful it was shared

I agree. i'm grateful for it. cause it probably the only victory tour we are ever getting.

Back