MSG 30th 2001: Dancing Machine?

Glanni

Proud Member
Country
Germany
Hi

Did J5 only performed Dancing Mashine on the first show with N*Sync? Or did the J5 also performed it on the second show?

and WHY on earth did Chris Tucker introduce MJ after(!) TWYMMF in both shows? Logical would be to intruduce him after the J5 and before TWYMMF...?

Hi

Did J5 only performed Dancing Mashine on the first show with N*Sync? Or did the J5 also performed it on the second show?

Ive always wondered that also. I have to go watch both shows through
and WHY on earth did Chris Tucker introduce MJ after(!) TWYMMF in both shows? Logical would be to intruduce him after the J5 and before TWYMMF...?

I think it was the way the show was edited. I know for a fact billie jean was 1st. I think the setlist went like this

Sept 7th
The Jacksons
"Can You Feel It"
"ABC"
"The Love You Save"
"I'll Be There"
"I Want You Back"
The Jacksons Featuring**NSYNC
"Dancing Machine"
The Jacksons"Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)"
Michael Jackson*&*Britney Spears
"The Way You Make Me Feel"
Chris Tucker Introducing Michael Jackson Michael Jackson
"Billie Jean"
Michael Jackson & Jason Paige (rap solo)*Slash
"Black or White"
"Beat It"Michael Jackson"
You Rock My World"
All Artists
"We Are the World"
"You Rock My World (Reprise)"

Sept 10th
The Jacksons
"Can You Feel It"
"ABC"
"The Love You Save"
"I'll Be There"
"I Want You Back"
"Dancing Machine"
"Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)"
Michael Jackson"
The Way You Make Me Feel"Chris Tucker
Introducing Michael JacksonMichael Jackson
"Billie Jean"
Michael Jackson & Jason Paige (Rap solo)*Slash
"Black or White"
"Beat It"
Michael Jackson Featuring Usher & Chris Tucker"You Rock My World"

this is the correct setlist for both shows:

7. September:

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8xYmTwsMBeM" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Samuel L. JacksonIntroduction
Usher, Mýa & Whitney Houston"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"
Marlon BrandoHumanitarian Speech
Billy Gilman"Ben"
Shaggy Featuring Rayvon and Rikrok"Angel/It Wasn't Me"
Monica, Al Jarreau, Jill Scott & Deborah Cox"Home" "You Can't Win"
"Ease On Down The Road"
James Ingram & Gloria Estefan"I Just Can't Stop Loving You"
Marc Anthony"She's Out Of My Life"
Monica, Tamia, Mýa, Deborah Cox & Rah Digga"Heal The World"
Liza Minnelli"You Are Not Alone" "Never Never Land/Over The Rainbow"
Destiny's Child"Bootylicious"
Ray Charles & Cassandra Wilson"Crying Time"
Elizabeth TaylorIntroducing The Jacksons
The Jacksons"Can You Feel It" "ABC"
"The Love You Save"
"I'll Be There"
"I Want You Back"
The Jacksons Featuring *NSYNC"Dancing Machine"
The Jacksons"Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)"
Michael Jackson & Britney Spears"The Way You Make Me Feel"
Chris TuckerIntroducing Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson"Billie Jean"
Michael Jackson & Jason Paige (rap solo) Slash"Black or White"
"Beat It"
Michael Jackson"You Rock My World"
All Artists"We Are the World" "You Rock My World (Reprise)"

<tbody>
</tbody>

10. September:

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/f74PnyK3_tI" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Usher, Mýa & Deborah Cox"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"
Dionne Warwick"I'll Never Love This Way Again"
Lil' Romeo & Master P"My Baby"
Gloria Gaynor"I Will Survive"
98 Degrees, Usher & Luther Vandross"Man In The Mirror"
Missy Elliott & Nelly Furtado"Get Ur Freak On"
Billy Gilman"Ben"
Liza Minnelli"You Are Not Alone" "Never Never Land/Over The Rainbow"
Aaron Carter"I Want Candy" MISSING IN VIDEO
Gladys Knight"I Heard It Though The Grapevine" "Midnight Train To Georgia" MISSING IN VIDEO
Monica, Tamia, Mýa, Deborah Cox & Rah Digga"Heal The World"
Elizabeth TaylorIntroducing The Jacksons
The Jacksons"Can You Feel It"
"ABC"
"The Love You Save"
"I'll Be There"
"I Want You Back"
"Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)"
Michael Jackson"The Way You Make Me Feel"
Chris TuckerIntroducing Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson"Billie Jean"
Michael Jackson & Jason Paige (Rap solo) Slash"Black or White"
"Beat It"
Michael Jackson Featuring Usher & Chris Tucker"You Rock My World"

<tbody>
</tbody>

Notes:
- Whitney Houston only performed with Usher and Maya on the 1st show. On the second show "Wanna Be Startin Somethin" was performed by Usher, Maya & Deborah Cox
- Dancing Mashine was only performed on the 1st show (together with NSync)
- Dancing Mashine was NOT performed on the 2nd show
- Samuel L Jackson only introduced the 1st show. There was no introduction on the second show. The 2nd show started with Usher & Maya & Deborah Cox (Wanna Be Starting Something)
- The 2nd video does not include Aaron Carter nor Gladys Knight but they both performed (it just wasnt recorded in this video)

Correct me if I am wrong or if you have any other information.

Last edited:
I think Chris Tucker introduced MJ before Billie Jean.

I think this was done to give MJ a chance to change into his Billie Jean costume.

Man that show was so cringe in parts. Why on earth were people singing random songs lol

Hah! I just saw why in the second show (during "You Rock My World") Michael wore those white pants instead of the black (like in the first concert), which really looked better together with the black jacket.
Did anyone else also spot the reason? :D

In the second show, sometime during Black Or White those black pants (he wore for Billie Jean, BoW, Beat It) ripped open on the backside. :D
First time visible at around 1:57:57 and then for the rest of BoW and Beat It. But could be that the change to the white pants was planned anyway for You Rock My World in the second concert.

In the first show he already changed the black Billie Jean pants (those with big white stripes) to fully black pants, to perform Beat It and then YRMW.

The cringest part was Rah Digga, she ruined the performance of Heal The World.
It seems like almost every artist at that show is irrelevant now....hell she was irrelevant then! I only knew her from Beyonce's Carmen film. She definitely ruined a touching song. But what was cringy to me was dancing machine with nsync because for 1....the stage was totally overcrowded & took detail off mjs robot dance. Everyone including Marlon was trying to shine on that part & not a single pop lock was done.

Dancing Machine did seem kinda random though if u think about it....its like u know they're going 2 do the j5 melody & syb but Dancing Machine was totally unexpected but I hate they delivered it with nsync

It seems like almost every artist at that show is irrelevant now....hell she was irrelevant then! I only knew her from Beyonce's Carmen film. She definitely ruined a touching song. But what was cringy to me was dancing machine with nsync because for 1....the stage was totally overcrowded & took detail off mjs robot dance. Everyone including Marlon was trying to shine on that part & not a single pop lock was done.

I never understood why MJ didn't do the pop lock on the solo. I thought that was rather odd.

I wonder why MJ agreed to do a performance with his brothers, because he would always avoid a Jackson's reunion like the plague.

I don't think MJ even knew where he was during Dancing Machine.

Looking at this concert, I'm glad that there never was an Invincible Tour. I don't think Michael was in good enough shape to do it

...I have to say that I actually prefer to watch this show instead of HWT Munich.

Lol. Man, at times he seemed so out of it in that concert. Now looking back its not as fun watching it today.

He was definitely VERY out of it in the first show. He performed way better in the second one.

May I ask why?

because it's different to what we've seen, live vocals are way better than on the History tour too. I like hearing his live vocals. But that's just my opinion, to each his own.

the show was edited. But I love parts. I loved the Luther/Usher and those 5 background guys as someone put it. I loved the into. I loved the intro of the MJ and his brothers and TWMMF, of course the end with the hat/glove for Billie Jean and Chris. I did see parts where MJ was not his best (even at the VMA before the show when Nsync brought him out. he did ok but MJ usually have those step on lock and solid). Also, MJ looked like he had a botox shot over his top lip. Glad it wore off. In 2003 at the BET AWARD with James Brown. MJ LOOKED GOOD and healthy. I remember everyone was talking how handsome/goodlooking/best dressed he was on that show to give James Brown the honor even his critics had to say That is MICHAEL JACKSON.

i have much respect for the editor of the final broadcasted version. must have been so tricky to look for the good parts of mjs performances and put them together and make them look like it was from one show and not from two.

but i wont only blame mj. all the other performances were weird, too. the whole show. starting from skinny whitney to all the other bad performances. maybe only destinys child had a great performance. but ray charles... liza minelli!!! omg...

the whole show was so randomly put together without no concept. especially the "all star" we are the world medley was really embarrassing at the end of 1st show.

marlon brando was acting suspicious and liz taylor also was on something i guess. and why the heck was samuel l jackson introducing the first show? what has he to do with MJ?!? well, doesnt matter anymore. but its interesting how unrelevant most of them are indeed. like this billy gilman or whats his name... and 98 degrees!!! lol who invited THEM?! well, and aaron carter... haha. chris tucker also disappeared since then.

but still i am so glad we have both full shows as amateur now!

He was definitely VERY out of it in the first show. He performed way better in the second one.

because it's different to what we've seen, live vocals are way better than on the History tour too. I like hearing his live vocals. But that's just my opinion, to each his own.

The concerts were edited and overdubbed to death. Just listen to the amateur footage, MJ's voice was not in good shape, it kept breaking and imo was worse than some history concerts, bar Munich.

It's always good to see something new and not just the same old stuff rehashed, I agree but in this instance i would put let's say History Tour Gothenburg miles ahead of MSG.

The concerts were edited and overdubbed to death.

yea dude I know that. It's very noticeable on the Jacksons part. But have you seen the amateur version of MJ with Britney Spears? Yeap on the first show were he was out of it. His voice is very powerful. And that's just a moment I can remember right now lol but there are more, and IMO they are superior to the History tour. Again all IMO.

I dont understand how he looked so perfect in 03 at the james brown tribute. He looked older in 2001 anniversary show. & the dancing was short but had he had a choreographed segment with james....he just dont know how much that wouldve changed him. Damn i ms him

He did looked older in 2001. how old was mike? in his 40's? he was still kind of young but his vitiligo made him looked older then he actually was. i wasn't a fan of Michael with short straight hair. but i know it wasn't his fault and he wanted to try different hairstyles.

Last edited:
Back