Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rava on the Dance Floor by Enrico Rava

• Unity: The Latin Tribute to Michael Jackson by Tony Succar and others

• Total voters

R1chard

Proud Member
So, I've always been aware of the faceless generic MJ tribute albums (smooth jazz, brass band, etc). But I've recently been made aware of the following three albums, which have got me interested.

"Never Can Say Goodbye: The Music of Michael Jackson", Joey DeFrancesco (2010)

"Rava on the Dance Floor" (live), Enrico Rava (2012)

"Unity: The Latin Tribute to Michael Jackson", Tony Succar, (2015)

So, firstly, I know absolutely nothing about Jazz music. Secondly, yeah, I know the third is Latin and isn't the sane thing. Thirdly, I have a strong preference for pre-2009 recordings. So is it worth me picking any of these up? Yeah, I can skip through a few of the tracks on YouTube, but thought I'd get the opinion of somebody who's listened to them repeatedly over a period of 10 years...

Me. @filmandmusic

There must be others. 🤔

"Rava on the Dance Floor" (live), Enrico Rava (2012)
f&m really likes this guy, he might be able to tell you something. I posted an interview that Rava did where he talked about Michael and how much of a genius he was. Rava's jazz is not for me, he seems very, y'know, hardcore, improv, that type of thing. I can cope with big band stuff, swing stuff from the 30's, 40's, 50's. I sometimes post stuff on the Jazz thread but I don't listen to huge amounts and I don't know much about it.

I haven’t listened to these albums for that long a time but in my opinion they are brilliant. There is only one condition, you have to like jazz music which in case of DeFrancesco and Rava is almost completely instrumental. I would give it a shot @Richard76 it is very fun to hear their takes on songs we know by heart. Rava plays the trumpet and DeFrancesco is an organist. What’s best for these 2 albums is their choice of songs they covered. Rava for example covered speechless and honestly I prefer what he does with the song over what Michael did.

I have always loved jazz musicians covering Michael because it means Michael wrote or at least performed melodies which are challenging or complex enough to interest jazz artists, these guys are musical geniuses and it is a huge compliment for Michael’s artistry that they want to cover his music.

Jazz guitarist George Benson also covered Michael’s got to be there and the lady in my life. Check them out on youtube. And there is the pianist and friend and admirer of MJ Francois Glorieux (classical pianist) who can be found playing she’s out of my life on youtube. What he did to that song is breathtaking, huge recommendation!

The matin tribute is cool and a party, I believe there is a full tribute concert on youtube.

PS there is also a country artist who made his tribute album to Michael: Robbie Fulks who is well known in the country/folk arena. Listen to his version of DSTYG it is spectacularly good!

EDIT: forgot about Stanley Jordan who played the lady in my life in 1985. Fantastic guitar rendition of this song!

Last edited:
So when writing my response I listened to Rava’s speechless again, so so so beautiful, you won’t find a better tribute. Michael wrote this piece but it is Rava who made me emotional.

I haven’t listened to these albums for that long a time but in my opinion they are brilliant. There is only one condition, you have to like jazz music which in case of DeFrancesco and Rava is almost completely instrumental. I would give it a shot @Richard76 it is very fun to hear their takes on songs we know by heart. Rava plays the trumpet and DeFrancesco is an organist. What’s best for these 2 albums is their choice of songs they covered. Rava for example covered speechless and honestly I prefer what he does with the song over what Michael did.

I have always loved jazz musicians covering Michael because it means Michael wrote or at least performed melodies which are challenging or complex enough to interest jazz artists, these guys are musical geniuses and it is a huge compliment for Michael’s artistry that they want to cover his music.

Jazz guitarist George Benson also covered Michael’s got to be there and the lady in my life. Check them out on youtube. And there is the pianist and friend and admirer of MJ Francois Glorieux (classical pianist) who can be found playing she’s out of my life on youtube. What he did to that song is breathtaking, huge recommendation!

The matin tribute is cool and a party, I believe there is a full tribute concert on youtube.

PS there is also a country artist who made his tribute album to Michael: Robbie Fulks who is well known in the country/folk arena. Listen to his version of DSTYG it is spectacularly good!

EDIT: forgot about Stanley Jordan who played the lady in my life in 1985. Fantastic guitar rendition of this song!
What???

There are 3 of us!

My favorite MJ jazz rendition has to be by BWB.

It covers lots of lesser known tunes.

There's also this great rendition of Human Nature, by David Benoit.

Hey, Mr JT! I've seen you mention jazz a few times but wasn't sure how far your interest went. Further than mine, most likely! I like obscure stuff from the 30's / 40's / 50's but I also like the songs to be short and accessible. :D

Да давай
Я так долго не слушал эти альбомы, но, на мой взгляд, они великолепны. Есть только одно условие, вы должны любить джазовую музыку, которая в случае ДеФранческо и Равы почти полностью инструментальная. Я бы попробовал @Richard76, очень весело слышать их мнение о песнях, которые мы знаем наизусть. Рава играет на трубе, а ДеФранческо - органист. Что лучше для этих 2 альбомов, так это их выбор песен, которые они исполняли. Рава, например, безмолвный, и, честно говоря, я предпочитаю то, что он делает с песней, а не то, что сделал Майкл.

Я всегда любил джазовых музыкантов, исполняющих Майкла, потому что это означает, что Майкл писал или, по крайней мере, исполнял мелодии, которые являются достаточно сложными или сложными, чтобы заинтересовать джазовых артистов, эти ребята - музыкальные гении, и это огромный комплимент для артистизма Майкла, что они хотят освещать его музыку.

Джазовый гитарист Джордж Бенсон также освещал, что Майкл должен быть там и леди в моей жизни. Проверьте их на YouTube. И есть пианист, друг и поклонник MJ Франсуа Глорье (классический пианист), которого можно найти играющим, она вне моей жизни на YouTube. То, что он сделал с этой песней, захватывает дух, огромная рекомендация!

Дань уважения - это круто и вечеринка, я считаю, что на YouTube есть полный трибьют-концерт.

PS есть также кантри-исполнитель, который сделал свой трибьют-альбом Майклу: Робби Фулкс, который хорошо известен на кантри/фолк-арене. Послушайте его версию DSTYG, она потрясающе хороша!

РЕДАКТИРОВАТЬ: забыл о Стэнли Джордане, который играл леди в моей жизни в 1985 году. Фантастическое гитаристое исполнение этой песни!

Я так долго не слушал эти альбомы, но, на мой взгляд, они великолепны. Есть только одно условие, вы должны любить джазовую музыку, которая в случае ДеФранческо и Равы почти полностью инструментальная. Я бы попробовал @Richard76, очень весело слышать их мнение о песнях, которые мы знаем наизусть. Рава играет на трубе, а ДеФранческо - органист. Что лучше для этих 2 альбомов, так это их выбор песен, которые они исполняли. Рава, например, безмолвный, и, честно говоря, я предпочитаю то, что он делает с песней, а не то, что сделал Майкл.

Я всегда любил джазовых музыкантов, исполняющих Майкла, потому что это означает, что Майкл писал или, по крайней мере, исполнял мелодии, которые являются достаточно сложными или сложными, чтобы заинтересовать джазовых артистов, эти ребята - музыкальные гении, и это огромный комплимент для артистизма Майкла, что они хотят освещать его музыку.

Джазовый гитарист Джордж Бенсон также освещал, что Майкл должен быть там и леди в моей жизни. Проверьте их на YouTube. И есть пианист, друг и поклонник MJ Франсуа Глорье (классический пианист), которого можно найти играющим, она вне моей жизни на YouTube. То, что он сделал с этой песней, захватывает дух, огромная рекомендация!

Дань уважения - это круто и вечеринка, я считаю, что на YouTube есть полный трибьют-концерт.

PS есть также кантри-исполнитель, который сделал свой трибьют-альбом Майклу: Робби Фулкс, который хорошо известен на кантри/фолк-арене. Послушайте его версию DSTYG, она потрясающе хороша!

РЕДАКТИРОВАТЬ: забыл о Стэнли Джордане, который играл леди в моей жизни в 1985 году. Фантастическое гитаристое исполнение этой песни!
Ты молодец! Сразу видно, умеешь пользоваться переводчиком) Красава

One of the best George Benson's works is collaboration with Legendary Damon Albarn (He is my idol, just like Michael).

No no I poured some vodka and it came out naturally 😜
😂😂😂 why everybody think that all russian people like drinking vodka. That's not true! That's just a stereotype! 😡 I don't like vodka at all! I have never ever tasted it

Hey, Mr JT! I've seen you mention jazz a few times but wasn't sure how far your interest went. Further than mine, most likely! I like obscure stuff from the 30's / 40's / 50's but I also like the songs to be short and accessible. :D
Big fan here of 1920's 30s 40s music!

Al Jolson , who was like the MJ or Elvis of the 20's is someone who I admire. Unfortunately he's pretty much been erased from history due to the use of blackface.

I've got plenty of playlists if you'd like to hear some!

That’s the fun thing about nationalities, we can laugh with stereotypes.
It's funny, but for people like me. Other people consider these stereotypes as facts.... People like @Mister_Jay_Tee truly believe, that all russian people are silly terrorists, who sleep with bears and drink vodka from the childhood...

I posted an interview that Rava did where he talked about Michael and how much of a genius he was.
I guess I'm just very skeptical about anything said or written after 2009. It's easy to jump on a bandwagon, but where were these people in 2005 when Michael really needed them? I'm just trying to distinguish whether somebody recording a covers album after he died is just doing it as a career move.

Rava's jazz is not for me, he seems very, y'know, hardcore, improv, that type of thing. I can cope with big band stuff, swing stuff from the 30's, 40's, 50's. I sometimes post stuff on the Jazz thread but I don't listen to huge amounts and I don't know much about it.
Same here. It's one of the genres that I'm not really into. I just don't appreciate what they're doing. It has to be accessible.

I guess I'm just curious about these guys. Is the album for MJ fans who want to try jazz or jazz fans who want to try MJ?

I guess I'm just very skeptical about anything said or written after 2009.
I know what you mean. It can often seem a bit too convenient.

It's easy to jump on a bandwagon, but where were these people in 2005 when Michael really needed them?
I don't know anything about Enrico Rava other than the little interview I posted. I did think he came across as sincere. He got into Michael big time after Michael died. Enrico's wife bought a copy of the Bucharest DWT show and that's what got him started even though he did know about J5 and Jacksons. I can relate to that. I loved J5 from day dot and Michael was always my fave but I didn't buy any of Michael's records until after he died. The songs that mean the most to me, the 90's stuff and Invincible, have been in my life for a relatively short time, really, and yet they are so important to me.

Anyway, enough rambling. Here's the interview. Start at 4m 12s for the Enrico Rava interview. English subtitles. He calls Little Susie a masterpiece so I love him for that, lol.

Same here. It's one of the genres that I'm not really into.
Yep. I've actually heard loads more jazz than I think I have but that's bc I can take it or leave it and I mostly choose to leave it.

I just don't appreciate what they're doing.
Same. A lot of it seems so self-indulgent.

It has to be accessible.
Accessible and short! And even then, sometimes I can't cope. I just listened to something by Jabbo Smith - who I do actually like - and the song was about 2m 45s and I was practically climbing the walls.

I guess I'm just curious about these guys. Is the album for MJ fans who want to try jazz or jazz fans who want to try MJ?
Again, I'd say that's a question for f&m. Or Mr JT.

Back