"That's What You Get for Being Polite"

I just have to join the crowd that thinks this song is autobiographical. I'm sure a lot of people can identify with the theme but I'm sure a lot of it applies to MJ. It's one of my fave songs by the way.
Wasn't Mj about 16-17 when this song was written? Why would his brothers sit with him and write a song about him? Why isn't it about an older brother who may have been having problems in their life at the time? all MJ's songs seems to be autobiological years later, just look at the lyrics for Destiny. I am sure MJ had no idea that his life was going to be so hectic when that song was written, yet the song fits his life exerience so well.

Wasn't Mj about 16-17 when this song was written? Why would his brothers sit with him and write a song about him? Why isn't it about an older brother who may have been having problems in their life at the time? all MJ's songs seems to be autobiological years later, just look at the lyrics for Destiny. I am sure MJ had no idea that his life was going to be so hectic when that song was written, yet the song fits his life exerience so well.

Mike and Randy wrote it. I'm guessing Mike wrote the lyrics and Randy and Mike co-wrote the music. It could've been based on Jackie for all we know.

Mike and Randy wrote it. I'm guessing Mike wrote the lyrics and Randy and Mike co-wrote the music. It could've been based on Jackie for all we know.
Exacty, or just the general experience that the brothers encountered as they were growing up in the industry. I doubt it was based on MJ. MJ was much loved and sought after during this time. I doubt he had that kind of experience to write such a sad song. But I can understand that they were writing from an overhaul outlook. Not necessarily the experience of the one.:)

Exacty, or just the general experience that the brothers encountered as they were growing up in the industry. I doubt it was based on MJ. MJ was much loved and sought after during this time. I doubt he had that kind of experience to write such a sad song. But I can understand that they were writing from an overhaul outlook. Not necessarily the experience of the one.:)

Since only Michael and Randy wrote it and not the other brothers, it seems far more likely that they wrote it from their own experience than from somebody else's. The emotions expressed in the song seem pretty generic anyway. I think most teenagers go through those thoughts of "who am I", "who should I be", "does anybody love me" and of trying to do stuff so that others will love them. Michael probably hadn't dated much, but I'm sure he had gone through all the insecurity of being in that awkward stage between boyhood and manhood and, being who he was, not knowing if people/girls cared about him or his fame and money. So, all in all I think it's probably autobiographical but also speaks to most of us. I know it speaks to me.

Since only Michael and Randy wrote it and not the other brothers, it seems far more likely that they wrote it from their own experience than from somebody else's. The emotions expressed in the song seem pretty generic anyway. I think most teenagers go through those thoughts of "who am I", "who should I be", "does anybody love me" and of trying to do stuff so that others will love them. Michael probably hadn't dated much, but I'm sure he had gone through all the insecurity of being in that awkward stage between boyhood and manhood and, being who he was, not knowing if people/girls cared about him or his fame and money. So, all in all I think it's probably autobiographical but also speaks to most of us. I know it speaks to me.
I think you are right. I think it speaks to everybody who has ever tried to be kind to others only to find that they are take for granted and being used. As is happening to members of my family right now.:)

I love the song....

BTW....This is kinda funny lol with Jack in it. lol

Well, Lord have mercy
Well, Lord have mercy
This ain't no good for Jack
This ain't no good for Jack, babe
Well, Lord have mercy
Well, Lord have mercy
Ain't no good for Jack, babe
Tell Jack what's goin' down, babe

Every time he wanna say it, it is
Just too much for Jack
He don't ever wanna say it cause of
All the blasphemy
Everybody's doin' it to somebody's love
In sight of Jack
He might tell on you
Don't you start no stuff with Jack

Your brother's gone and kissed
The mother in law
He might tell Dad about what he saw
He caught your mother, she doin' a dude
You can't like it that He's lookin' right at you
Stop it, it's too much
Monkey business goin' down

Well, Lord have mercy
Well, Lord have mercy
Don't be callin' out "mercy me" (Don't be callin' out "mercy me")
Don't be callin' down, babe (Don't be callin' out mercy)
Well, Lord have mercy
Even burst the breast
Don't be callin' out "mercy me" (Don't be callin' out "mercy me")
Don't be goin' down, babe (Don't be callin' out "mercy")

Every time He wanna say it, it is
Just too much for Jack
Everybody's doin' it to somebody's love
It seems to Jack
He just can't believe the things He's seein'
So just let it be
He might tell on you
So don't you start no stuff with Jack.

The mother in law
He might tell Dad about what He saw
Stop it, it's too much

He read the paper and He can't believe what's goin' round
Somebody's doin' it to somebody's up, somebody's down
The government won't pay my taxes and I'm really mad
His mouth might let it be
So don't you monkey shy with Jack

The mother in law
The mother in law
Your brother didn't make a nickle, or dime too
Sittin' around tellin' how he did it to you
Stop it, it's too much

(Monkey business goin' down)

I love all those great older songs.. The rhythem and soul of it all.. it's just wow

one of the most honest songs that he ever composed or sung. it captured him to a letter t. hard to believe it's 30 years old.

O/T - I just discovered a Pepsi Commercial that some comments on youtube said was on the Dangerous DVD. Big MJ is singing with little MJ. Almost took my breath away when I saw it. I'd never seen it before. It's the 2nd commercial. This is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2NWPK627fI

This should NOW officially be changed to the Official Hi-Jacked Thread of MJJC LMAO!!!

ugotjacked.jpg

Last edited:
For fans that are hearing and seeing these things for the first time.. I have this to say.. I'm glad you are able to whitness more MJ. ALSO, there is MUCH more out there as good and better...

So go get it!! lol!

For fans that are hearing and seeing these things for the first time.. I have this to say.. I'm glad you are able to whitness more MJ. ALSO, there is MUCH more out there as good and better...

So go get it!! lol!

Old school Michael is always great to hear. :D

So go get it!! lol!

Yeah, stuff like Thriller are ONLY the classics, but the vintage stuff and less popular stuff is just as exciting... if not more to me. They are the forgotten and overlooked often times, get it all is my recommendation too (you are missing out on so much great MJ).

There are 3 songs that MJ sang with his brothers around the same time that had the same theme, if you listen carefully. The theme of being used or taken for granted was running deeply in 'That's what you get', 'Bless his soul' and 'Things I do for you'. Maybe a little of oit in 'Destiny' too.Maybe the Jacksoms were trying to tell us something.

There are 3 songs that MJ sang with his brothers around the same time that had the same theme, if you listen carefully. The theme of being used or taken for granted was running deeply in 'That's what you get', 'Bless his soul' and 'Things I do for you'. Maybe a little of oit in 'Destiny' too.Maybe the Jacksoms were trying to tell us something.

I have been a longtime fan and especially fond of the destiny and Triumph eras, however "Things I Do For You" has always been one song I skipped until more recently realizing what he is singing about. Very prophetic, so many years before all the drama ensued. Michael is magic :) I think I am always redicovering him over and over again... he just keeps getting better.

I have been a longtime fan and especially fond of the destiny and Triumph eras, however "Things I Do For You" has always been one song I skipped until more recently realizing what he is singing about. Very prophetic, so many years before all the drama ensued. Michael is magic :) I think I am always redicovering him over and over again... he just keeps getting better.
You have been missing out. MJ's early years predicted his future. Prophetic is correct. I grin from ear to ear when I listen to Dapper Dan, cause if that isn't about MJ then what is. Quincy was right when he said MJ's songs are auto biological, even when he fights against them. The problems with theses songs is that they were written about the future MJ. Just listen to Destiny and see if it doesn't remind you of the reason for Neverland.

You have been missing out. MJ's early years predicted his future. Prophetic is correct. I grin from ear to ear when I listen to Dapper Dan, cause if that isn't about MJ then what is. Quincy was right when he said MJ's songs are auto biological, even when he fights against them. The problems with theses songs is that they were written about the future MJ. Just listen to Destiny and see if it doesn't remind you of the reason for Neverland.

No I haven't been missing out... as I said I have been a long term fan. Those eras are my faves... the vintage stuff. I only said that "Things I Do For You" was just one song that I never paid too much attention too until more recently. Yes, very prophetic indeed. I have to also agree with you about Dapper Dan and odd that you would bring that one up, because it has been coming to mind a lot lately. I haven't heard that one in forever and I don't even believe I have it on Cd. I think it's boxed away on vinyl or cassette. I loved that song so much!

No I haven't been missing out... as I said I have been a long term fan. Those eras are my faves... the vintage stuff. I only said that "Things I Do For You" was just one song that I never paid too much attention too until more recently. Yes, very prophetic indeed. I have to also agree with you about Dapper Dan and odd that you would bring that one up, because it has been coming to mind a lot lately. I haven't heard that one in forever and I don't even believe I have it on Cd. I think it's boxed away on vinyl or cassette. I loved that song so much!
Forgive me. I realised what you said after I typed but was too lazy to correct it. Yes, I love the Jacksons era. It's my favourite, to be honest. I just love the youthfulness and the exuberance and the fun, just sheer fun those boys were having in the record studio, and MJ was just experimenting with sounds and his voice was out of this world.
The brothers were excellent writers and they gave their best. MJ shone like the sun then. I love all their songs and I find it difficult to keep from dancing in public when i listen to them.:D

Back