Eminem

I don't have respect for musicians who consider themselves credible and artistic but have to resort to petty jokes and insults to sell records. Eminem's albums are like Weird Al's album. The different is Weird Al is actually a comedy artist (and a very funny one), but Eminem claims to be an actual artist. His albums should be in the comedy section of music stores, because that's what he does, tells jokes in his music usually about people who are better than him.

Eminem's albums are like Weird Al's album. The different is Weird Al is actually a comedy artist (and a very funny one), but Eminem claims to be an actual artist. His albums should be in the comedy section of music stores, because that's what he does, tells jokes in his music usually about people who are better than him.

I'm going to go ahead and say that you haven't listened to The Slim Shady LP, The Marshall Mathers LP, or The Eminem Show. If you have, then you're borderline just outright lying by claiming he is anything like a parody artist.

When did I say parody artist? I said comedy artist. I have heard certain song from those albums. "My Name Is" off the Slim Shady LP relies on comedy. "The Real Slim Shady" off the Marshal Mathers LP relies on comedy. "Without Me" from the Eminem Show relies on comedy. There are only two Eminem songs I think are worth a listen. "Guilty Conscience" and "Stan". Everything else that I've heard is just comedy disguised as rap.

When did I say parody artist? I said comedy artist. I have heard certain song from those albums. "My Name Is" off the Slim Shady LP relies on comedy. "The Real Slim Shady" off the Marshal Mathers LP relies on comedy. "Without Me" from the Eminem Show relies on comedy. There are only two Eminem songs I think are worth a listen. "Guilty Conscience" and "Stan". Everything else that I've heard is just comedy disguised as rap.

No offense, but you just don't seem to know what you're talking about when it comes to his albums. You can say what you want about the songs you have heard, but you spoke directly about the CDs, and that they belonged in the comedy section. The Slim Shady LP and The Marshall Mathers LP are pretty dark albums, especially the latter. If you had heard those CDs in their entirety, you would probably see how ludicrous your statement about them was. The Eminem Show was less dark, but at least half of it, if not more, was serious. Your resentment of his attitude has evidently resulted in blind criticism of his music. Unless I am missing something, I was always under the impression that you have to hear an album before you start talking about what the album is. You're free to say that his singles that you've checked out are this or that, because that is at least validated with the fact that you've heard them. However, people who have listened to all of Eminem's albums would likely find your claim about them laughable. It's pretty well known to anybody with a remotely knowledgeable opinion about Eminem that songs like My Name Is, The Real Slim Shady, and Without Me are a far cry from what the bulk of the material on the album is like, although I do find those songs entertaining as well.

If someone is not a rap fan in general, then that's their taste, but there really is no educated argument for Eminem not doing his job well. Just because some of you believe he sucks as a person doesn't automatically mean he sucks as an artist too. Although that's likely the case for a lot of the responses here. Honestly, I do think the outlook of this thread would look much, much, much different if he and Michael Jackson were BFFs.

There's not much more to say other than you flat out don't seem to know what you're talking about.

Last edited:

Oh....i think the word ur actually looking for is 'genius' ^_^
He comes out, he says what he wants when he wants to say it and he makes millions of dollars in the process. Most of it by just being controversial and nothing else. Genius personified.

I am a fan of rap, that's why I don't appreciate Eminem. The songs I mentioned are his biggest singles from each album the point of a single is the give the public some idea of the sort of music on the album so if they like the single they will buy the album. If he was a credible artist he'd release those "dark" songs as singles if he wanted to be thought of that way as an artist. But he chose to release the comedy song so to people who aren't big fans and haven't purchased the album he comes across as a comedy act.

I am a fan of rap, that's why I don't appreciate Eminem. The songs I mentioned are his biggest singles from each album the point of a single is the give the public some idea of the sort of music on the album so if they like the single they will buy the album. If he was a credible artist he'd release those "dark" songs as singles if he wanted to be thought of that way as an artist. But he chose to release the comedy song so to people who aren't big fans and haven't purchased the album he comes across as a comedy act.

So actually in a way by saying hes a comedy act you are saying he has a great sense of humor right? :)
Well thats so true. He can say anything and people laugh - and plus he has this wonderful ability to make people take him soo seriously when hes really just messing around for the hell of it. :lol:

That in no way negates the fact that you inaccurately stated that his albums were primarily comedy.

His popular singles, if for some reason you're telling us what the actual albums are like based on them, from the three CDs I mentioned are:

Guilty Conscience
My Name Is
Role Model
The Real Slim Shady
Stan
The Way I Am
Without Me
Cleanin' Out My Closet
Superman
Sing For the Moment

Out of those, I would say the primarily pop-like comedy songs are My Name Is, The Real Sim Shady, Without Me, and Superman. I'm questioning how much of his music, even the singles, you've even heard if you arrived at the conclusion that he's thought of as mostly a joker rapper.

Just the fact that you're evidently unaware that he's released "dark" songs does not mean he didn't. Considering that he is/was a massive mainstream star at the time of their releases, I'd also say that plenty of people have heard the whole LPs, and are aware of who and what he is as a rapper. Which you aren't. Making excuses of how you're judging solely on the critera of singles you've heard is lame when you earlier made claims about whole albums. As a lyricist, his rhymes are often superior to rappers whom passionate rap fans put on a pedestal, but will never admit because it's Eminem and he's "too commercial." I wonder if most of them, like you, didn't listen to the albums, but talk about them anyway.

Why should I buy the albums of an artist I don't like? That's just silly. As I said, you're supposed to convince people to buy your albums by the singles released. The singles are rubbish that rely on cheap humour. That doesn't convince me to buy his albums. I actually have probably heard his albums in full without paying attention because a lot of parties I went to in high school played those albums because they were so popular at the time. But you can say what you want about the majority of the stuff on his albums, the fact that he needs to resort to cheap humour to grab people's attention in the first place is not very credible IMO.

Btw, I've heard all the songs you listed except Role Model. lol, I hope he's not talking about himself. The only songs I like a Guilty Conscience and Stan. Superman I remember being the crappiest piece of crap I ever heard. Sign For the Moment was an insult to one of my favourite bands (which btw, if you want to hear good rap check out "Walk This Way" by Aerosmith and Run DMC, one of my favourite rap song, although it's mixed with rock). Cleaning Out My Closet is annoying because of the way he tried to sing the chorus and the beat. Everything else is pretty much too comedic to be taken seriously. Oh, and The Way I Am, I only like because Marilyn Manson was in the video and I think sung on one of the single versions or something.

Last edited:
It's no use me trying to say it, because Weird Al said it best...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mfF6LJT5XKE

Ignore the video, just listen.

Now that's REAL comedy. Eminem, take note. If you want to be a comedic artist, then do it right. Weird Al is a comedic artist and always has been. He's never claimed to be anything but. Eminem still thinks he's some kind of a credible rapper.

Last edited:
Why should I buy the albums of an artist I don't like. That's just silly. As I said, you're supposed to convince people to buy your albums by the singles released.

Once again you masterfully manage to miss the point. Don't buy the albums; you are not obligated to. However, if you have not listened to them, do not make claims about what they are or what content is primarily on them. Your statements about his albums are, again, laughable to anybody who's heard them.

The singles are rubbish that really on cheap humour.

And also a special shout out for skipping over the post in which I proved that wrong. Not that I necessarily have a problem with the brand of humor you speak of, but if you have a picture in your head in which Eminem's popular music consists solely of tracks like "The Real Slim Shady," then it's a pretty cloudy, uninformed picture. At the end, I still believe it comes down to you not knowing what in the world you're talking about.

Once again you masterfully manage to miss the point. Don't buy the albums; you are not obligated to. However, if you have not listened to them, do not make claims about what they are or what content is primarily on them. Your statements about his albums are, again, laughable to anybody who's heard them.

And also a special shout out for skipping over the post in which I proved that wrong. Not that I necessarily have a problem with the brand of humor you speak of, but if you have a picture in your head in which Eminem's popular music consists solely of tracks like "The Real Slim Shady," then it's a pretty cloudy, uninformed picture. At the end, I still believe it comes down to you not knowing what in the world you're talking about.
lol, you said yourself, it that post right there, Eminem's POPULAR music. The so-called "dark" songs aren't popular, with the exception of "Stan". The songs that get all the airplay and chart highest are his comedic songs. They are the songs he relies to sell his music.

Wrong. No further explanation necessary, since you simply do not know and I don't feel like bestowing upon you nuggets of wisdom on the basis that I prefer I be smarter.
Yawn.... here's Eminem's highest charting singles...

The Real Slim Shady (UK #1)
Stan (UK & Germany #1)
Without Me (UK & Germany #1)
Lose Yourself (US & UK #1)
Just Lose It (UK and Australia #1)

They are all comedic except Stan (as I already said) and Lose Yourself which was a movie promotion so ofcourse it's gonna be successful.

So.... what now?

Last edited:
Yawn.... here's Eminem's highest charting singles...

The Real Slim Shady
Stan
Without Me
Lose Yourself
Just Lose It

They are all comedic except Stan

At what point did I say that the humorous tracks/videos didn't realize huge commercial success? If you're somehow implying that this should be the sole criteria for which all of his other music is rendered irrelevant, then I'd venture to say it's some pretty ass backward logic. Songs like The Way I Am, Cleanin' Out My Closet, Guilty Conscience, Stan, and Sing For the Moment were also commercially released, people have heard them and know of them. In addition to that, people buy his albums too. Does it for some reason make you upset if he realized great success from those funny songs, to the extent that his other music no longer counts?

I wonder if at any point, you are willing to admit that your comment on his albums belonging in the comedy section was unknowledgeable, but probably not.

and Lose Yourself which was a movie promotion so ofcourse it's gonna be successful.

Of course. It's not just simply a good song.

So... what now?

What now? I've heard his albums and you haven't, still. That hasn't really changed. Therefore, my opinion on Eminem as a rapper > Yours.

Last edited:
You're still missing the point. You were trying to tell me I was wrong by saying his "dark" songs aren't as popular as his comedic songs. But I was right. They are more popular. So to someone who is not a big fan and hasn't bought his albums would see him as a not very credible artist who relies too much on silly cheap humour. I'm relaying the opinion of an outsider who has only heard his most popular radio singles, as most people have. Sorry but nothing your saying has convinced me that Eminem is at all a credible rapper. He's very gimmicky and childish. And that's based on the music he puts out to radio. The music he wants us to judge him buy. I don't recall Tupac or Biggie ever resorting to gimmicks and cheap humour to get an audience. They had this thing called talent. Very rare these days. Especially in the case of posers like Eminem.

Lol, I just noticed your username. Grand Master S. Is that supposed to be like Grand Master Flash? How does Eminem stack up to the Grand Master? lol. That puts things into perspective doesn't it. On one hand you have the Grand Master or rap. One the other hand you have Eminem. Are you still going to debate this of does that put it into perspective for you?

Last edited:
You're still missing the point. You were trying to tell me I was wrong by saying his "dark" songs aren't as popular as his comedic songs. But I was right. They are more popular. So to someone who is not a big fan and hasn't bough his albums would see him as a not very credible artist who relies too much on silly cheap humour. I'm relaying the opinion of an outsider who has only heard his most popular radio singles, as most people have.

Lol, most outsiders in tune with what's going on, and certainly most rap fans, have heard Guilty Conscience, Stan, The Way I Am, Cleanin' Out My Closet, Sing For the Moment, Lose Yourself, Toy Soldiers, Mosh, etc.

In other news, somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 more million records to sell until Eminem has officially outsold 2Pac and becomes the highest selling rapper ever. Perhaps Guinness will give him a nice plaque to put next to his Oscar. Pretty fly for a white guy, as the saying goes.

I've heard all those songs too. One word sums them up. Crapola! I don't care how many million records he has to go to outsell Tupac. He'll never outclass him and that's the main thing. Tupac's remembered as the greatest rapper of all time. Eminem well be remembered as... wait? Will he even be remembered? He's the kinda rapper most people would want to forget about.

Eminem well be remembered as... wait? Will he even be remembered?

I'm gonna go ahead and say yes, considering that he is currently more famous worldwide than virtually everybody in the rap industry.

I've heard all those songs too. One word sums them up. Crapola!

Wait, didn't you already say that two of them were good? I mean, you can theoretically at this point lie about the others if you wanted to, but...

Last edited:
I love Eminem. I used to listen to his albums The Marshall Mathers LP & The Eminem Show quite a lot.

Last edited:
lol, well you go an enjoy your Eminem. I've got some real rap music to go listen to...

"suckers to the side I know you hate my 98"

Come on admit it. You owned an Eminem cd didnt you? :p
You have to admit that he is a freakin genius above anything else. And yes he will be remembered. No matter what its for he will be remembered :punk:

Heres Michaels side of the story.....^_^

http://thebosh.com/archives/2007/06/michael_jackson_loves_eminem_1.php

Despite being mocked by the rapper in his 'Just Lose It' music video three
years ago, Michael would love to join forces with the controversial star.

He said: "The guy is a lyrical genius and I would love to work with him."
Michael was left angry after Eminem dressed in a 'Thriller'-style outfit in
the 2004 promo, and mocked the infamous accident when Michael's hair caught
fire while filming a Pepsi advert in 1984.

In another scene, Eminem is seen dressed as the 'Billie Jean' singer in bed
with young boys dancing around him.
At the time, Michael, 48, was at the center of child abuse allegations.

Despite being cleared of all charges in 2005, the singer's career nose dived
and is yet to recover.

It was recently revealed Michael had acquired the rights to some of Eminem's
biggest hits, after he purchased Famous Music LLC from Viacom.
Meanwhile, Ne-Yo claims he is working on the new Michael Jackson album, and the star says he's well aware of the pitfalls that may come with the job reports netmusiccountdown.
Ne-Yo said, "I'm not trying to top Thriller. Anybody trying to top something that's already been done is fighting a losing battle."
"It was a different industry back then, a different way of thinking and people were easier to impress. Everything in music has been done now, so Michael needs to find his place again."

At least Michael isnt as immature as some of his fans are about that song. :D

His lyrics suck, imo. He sure as sh*t ain't a Paul Simone or a Bob Dylan, or even Alanas Morrissett.

Man, you raise a valid point there. He totally isn't like any of those singers. In fact he usually just talks fast in rhymes to a beat in this weird ass way. Thanks for the insight.

i'm not gunna comment on eminem...i'll just comment on people who keep saying that mj's career is taking a nose dive. every time they say that, they say something that proves that one of many aspects of his career have been totally opposite of the lies saying that his career has nosedived, therefore the reporters continue to look stupid. just one of many aspects...buying that massive famous music catalogue. and how does ne yo know that people were easier to impress in earlier days..he doesn't know that. i believe people always have the same amount of skepticism, before any change ever occurs. cus most people are afraid of change.

Man, you raise a valid point there. He totally isn't like any of those singers. In fact he usually just talks fast in rhymes to a beat in this weird ass way. Thanks for the insight.

The point was hinged on his lyrical content, not his vocal ability. He isn't near the lyricist that any of these people are, imo. People harp on about his genius lyrical content, but I fail to see it.

Ne-Yo's comment on people being more easily impressed "back then" is absurd and untrue. Back in the 80s and earlier, you didn't have this massive airbrushing, special effects, big budget production that you do now to make the "artists" seem more attractive and more talented then they are. You had to make it on your raw talent and ambition. Ne-Yo wouldn't have even been glanced at "back then". Michael shaped the entire landscape of the industry as it is today, so Michael doesn't need to be told that "everything's been done", considering HE did it and he doesn't need to "find his place", he IS the place.

He said: "The guy is a lyrical genius and I would love to work with him."

I've never heard this quote from Michael and somehow I doubt it's validity, especially considering Michael seemed genuinly angry to me about Eminem's comments and portrayle of him. Michael rarely addresses anyone who speaks negatively of him, but he did in that instance.

Last edited:
Back