John Lennon

caleb20003

Proud Member
I'm no real fan of the beatles but prefer Lennon on his own.
Just getting in to the 'working class hero ' collection, favourites atm are this

and

JL is cool. My friend likes him a lot so I've begun to appreciate him as well. Just like she has Michael. ^_^

I've always found it interesting that singles wise, Ringo was more popular than John & George. I guess songs about Angela Davis & Hare Krishna aren't hit single material, lol.

John and George were the true innovators of The Beatles. I'm a huge fan of both of them solo. Not knocking Ringo and Paul, but both have very patchy catalogues.

^^^^^Paul was the most successful as a solo artist because he was the most commercial and liked performing and the other 3 not so much. That was true even in the group. George's solo stuff tended to be preachy and of a spiritual nature. George never really cared about selling records and disliked being famous. He started a film company and put his energies towards that and race car driving. John made protest music and songs about Yoko, which turned off a lot of people. Also John hung out with the Black Panters and such, which didn't help his popularity. He also spent a lot of time trying to become a US citizen and didn't really focus on making music much, and then "retired" for 5 years to raise Sean. Ringo's initial success was a surprise to a lot of people, because no one expected anything of him. Although people of a certain age only know him as Mr. Conductor lol. Paul made silly songs at times, and made a song about it. But overall The Beatles as a unit are always remembered and praised, but the solo stuff isn't.

John Lennon was a real dreamer. A man with the vision. I would really like to know more about his creating process..

John Lennon was a real dreamer. A man with the vision. I would really like to know more about his creating process..

Theres a doc about the making of 'Imagine' which was on tv in OZ last week which shows quite well his creative process.

Theres a doc about the making of 'Imagine' which was on tv in OZ last week which shows quite well his creative process.
Wow! Could you get a tittle for me somehow? Nothing better to understand the artist than following the creating process of his art.

I think it would be very inspiring to understand "Imagine".

John and George were the true innovators of The Beatles. I'm a huge fan of both of them solo. Not knocking Ringo and Paul, but both have very patchy catalogues.

I don't agree. John Lennon and Paul McCartney were more a less on par with each other on innovation when they were in The Beatles, with Lennon having a slight edge. George Harrison followed them, as his songs were influenced by the Lennon and McCartney's songs, as he has said because he started writing songs after them. Paul wrote songs like Paperback Writer, Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band,Magicial Mystery Tour and Helter Skelter to name just a few. He also came up with the amazing baseline that's lifts the chorus of John Lennon's song Lucy In The Sky of Diamonds.

As solo artists I agree that John Lennon and George are more innovative, as Paul McCartney became a bland, middle of the road artist even though there were flashes of genius in some songs he made between 1970-80.

Away from The Beatles, neither Lennon, McCartney or Harrison ever had the same edge. I personally think George Harrison adapted to music in 1970's and 80's far better than Lennon (just one album, and some unreleased track that were released from 1980 recording sessions on Milk & Honey in 1984) and McCartney did.

From watch The Beatles Anthology DVD and various other footage of The Beatles performing live in concert. I think that John Lennon was a much better live performer as a solo artist than The Beatles were. I don't rate Paul McCartney and George Harrison as live artists. McCartney tries to hard to impress live as a solo artist, and Harrison was boring. John Lennon had a lot of charisma on stage, with his facial expressions etc.

Last edited:
I only know Imagine... I went to the Ball Drop at Times Square this year and it was the last song played. It was so spiritual almost, with everyone holding their sausage-shaped balloon streamers up high and moving in the wind. It's just like people at MJ concerts with lighters raised up high.

Some people I know are rather conservative and absolutely hate that song. They don't like John Lennon for being so idealistic.

I love all the Fabs. George is my favorite, by far, but I love John as well. I don't care for ALL of John's solo songs, but most are just brilliant. I don't care for the song "God," but it is balanced by what a brilliant song "Love" is. The Mind Games album was maybe my favorite, though Imagine album had some great input from George on slide guitar. John's lyrics are so honest. John's great. Also in the Beatles, his lyrics were so poetic at times and conveyed deep emotion. Simple tunes like "I'll Cry Instead" - even those are full of emotion.

from double fantasy, an album he did together with Yoko Ono.

Watching the wheels

Woman

Happy Birthday John Lennon!

Imagine was the first CD I ever had, and that song is among my all time favourites. I also like a lot of his other solo songs such as Jealous Guy and Power to the People.

I'll never forget the day the news broke that Lennon had been shot. It was unbelievable. I remember watching the news footage of the fans gathering around the Dakota apartment buildings where John & Yoko lived and watching as Paul, Ringo arrived. I was only 17.

I can't wait to see the documentary "Lennonnyc" about his time living in this city. There was a free screening of the film in Central Park on Saturday but the documentary will air on PBS next month.

Here's a preview:

http://www.thirteen.org/promos/screening-of-american-masters-lennonnyc/

Ethan-Miller-Getty-Images.jpg

by Jeff Giles April 1, 2015

Cynthia Lennon, John Lennon‘s first wife and mother to their son Julian, has succumbed to cancer at the age of 75.

News of Lennon’s death comes courtesy of a short press release that reads, “Cynthia Lennon passed away today at her home in Mallorca, Spain, following a short but brave battle with cancer. Her son Julian Lennon was at her bedside throughout. The family are thankful for your prayers. Please respect their privacy at this difficult time.”

As of this writing, the front page of Julian’s website has been updated in her honor, featuring a photo of Lennon inscribed “In Loving Memory” and appended by a musical video tribute with the same title, which you can watch above.

Cynthia Powell met John Lennon in 1957 at the Liverpool College of Art, which she attended after graduating from the city’s Junior Art School. Married in August 1962, the couple kept a low profile due to Lennon’s increasingly successful career as a member of the Beatles, and an effort to avoid alienating the group’s female fan base; even after Julian’s birth in April 1963, their marriage was kept a closely guarded secret.

The Lennons’ union eventually became common knowledge, but the strain of John’s career — and his overall mercurial nature — continued to wear on their marriage, which ended in 1968. Cynthia remarried after the divorce, but her relationship with John remained a topic of interest that occasionally paid the bills; she published her first memoir, A Twist of Lennon, in 1978, with another volume, simply titled John, in 2005.

“I’ve had the most amazing life, a wonderful life,” Cynthia reflected during an interview with Classic Bands. “I’ve got the best son anyone could possibly wish for in the world and a marriage to a wonderful man also. Sounds very gushing, but I’m really happy. And all the experience has not spoiled anything for me, I promise you. I still open my eyes in the morning and feel a beautiful, sunny day in Spain and think how lucky I am.”

He was a great musician. I like Paul and George better, but John had a unique sound that he brought to the Beatles. Great solo career, too.

I didn't realise there was a Lennon thread on here. Big fan of his solo material. I haven't listened to his music for ages thinking about it. I immediately put on my favourite song by him when I saw the bump.

This will very shortly follow:

I'm a huge fan of the Beatles but i do prefer John Lennon's solo work to any of the other Beatles the guy was a legend and it seems like MJ had al ot of respect for him my favorite song if probably Mind games

Just one thing i'm sure we can all agree on John Lennon was a great singer song writer and musician but what was Yoko Ono all about ?

JG3.png

One of the focal points of the solo career of John Lennon will be commemorated with the 5 October release by Universal Music of the six-disc box set Imagine: The Ultimate Collection.

Centred on Lennon’s second solo album first released in 1971, when it went to No.1 in six countries including the US and UK the remixed and remastered 140-track collection has been fully authorised by Yoko Ono Lennon, who oversaw its production and creative direction. Exclusive bundles including a limited edition clear vinyl version and Imagine theatrical poster are available in the uDiscover store.

The expanded edition features four CDs and two Blu-ray discs, offering the new ‘Ultimate Mixes’ of the album, which reveals new levels of sonic depth and definition to the work; the ‘Raw Studio Mixes’, which invite the listener to hear Lennon’s unadorned performances of the songs with the Plastic Ono Band; 5.1 surround sound mixes; and a ‘Quadrasonic Album Mix’, which presents the original four-speaker mix of Imagine for the first time since release.

This ultimate edition includes scores of demo recordings, rare outtakes and isolated track elements, all previously unheard. The box set also includes The Evolution Documentary, a track-by-track audio montage mixed by Sam Gannon which details the transition of each song from demo to master recording, with instructions, rehearsals, recordings, exploration of the multi-tracks and studio chatter. Further insight into this period in Lennon’s life comes with the Imagine John & Yoko: The Elliot Mintz Interviews disc, which features revealing conversations John and Yoko had with with the DJ and longtime friend, Elliot Mintz.

Imagine will also be released concurrently as a 2CD deluxe edition, single CD remaster, a 2LP 180g heavyweight black vinyl edition and 2LP limited edition 180g clear vinyl edition. The digital Ultimate Collection will include all of the audio from the four CDs, and the deluxe and standard versions will also have digital equivalents.

In the preface of the accompanying 120-page book, Yoko Ono Lennon says: “Imagine was created with immense love and concern for the children of the world. I hope you enjoy it.”
photo-by-Iain-Macmillan-%C2%A9-Yoko-Ono-web-optimised-740.jpg

Engineer Rob Stevens, who mixed the ‘Raw Studio Mixes’, recalls of the remarkable discovery that led to the creation of the new box set edition: “Early 2016, during the gestation period of this project, I’m in the Lenono archives with my people going through tape boxes that have labeling that’s unclear, misleading, or missing entirely.

“There’s a 1” 8-track that says nothing more on the Ascot Sound label than John Lennon, the date, and the engineer [Phil McDonald], with ‘DEMO’ on the spine. No indication of what material was on the tape. One delicate transfer to digital later, the ‘Imagine’ demo, subsequently enhanced superbly by Paul Hicks, appears within this comprehensive set. It was true serendipity.”

Stevens is describing an original, unheard demo of the famous title song from the album, Lennon’s sparse home recording on which he sings and plays piano. The release of this recording marks the global launch of Imagine: The Ultimate Collection, as it becomes available for streaming and for immediate download with all digital album pre-orders.

5 October is also the release date on Eagle Vision of two films by John and Yoko, Imagine and Gimme Some Truth, on DVD, Blu-ray and digital platforms. Both have been hand-restored from the original film reels and remastered in HD; the film soundtracks have also been remixed in surround sound by triple Grammy-winning engineer Paul Hicks.

Both of the physical releases feature never-before-seen extras, including previously unheard “raw” studio mixes and a fascinating insight into a photo shoot with celebrated photographer David Bailey. All are also available for pre-order. Imagine will also have a limited release in selected cinemas, highlighted by an exclusive, immersive Dolby Atmos mix of the music and further exclusive extra material.
photo-by-Peter-Fordham-©-Yoko-Ono-web-optimised-740.jpg

Says Paul Hicks of the new mixes of the album: “Yoko was very keen that these ‘Ultimate Mixes’ should achieve three things – to be totally faithful and respectful to the originals, be generally sonically clearer overall and should increase the clarity of John’s vocals. ‘It’s about John,’ she said. And she was right. His voice brings the biggest emotional impact to the album.” It was under the supervision of Yoko Ono Lennon, at Abbey Road Studios, that Hicks mixed the ‘Ultimate Mixes’, ‘Outtakes’ and ‘Elements Mixes’ of the collection.

Newly-available material in the sets include a quartet of ‘Elements Mixes’, with strings-only versions of ‘Imagine’ and ‘How?’, the vocals-only versions of ‘Oh My Love’ and the piano, bass, and drums instrumentation for ‘Jealous Guy.’ The ‘Raw Studio Mixes’ on Disc Three capture John and the Plastic Ono Band on the soundstage of Ascot Sound Studios at John and Yoko’s Georgian country home in Tittenhurst, Berkshire.

Alongside the new releases, Thames & Hudson (UK) and Grand Central Publishing (US) will publish Imagine John Yoko,by John and Yoko, on 9 October, which would have been John’s 78th birthday. The book has been personally compiled and curated by Yoko and is packed with previously unpublished material.

CD1: Imagine: The Album: The Ultimate Mixes Disc 1
Remix in Stereo 16-44.1
Remixed Stereo Album
1. Imagine
2. Crippled Inside
3. Jealous Guy
4. It’s So Hard
5. I Don’t Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don’t Wanna Die
6. Gimme Some Truth
7. Oh My Love
8. How Do You Sleep?
9. How?
10. Oh Yoko!
The Singles & Extras
11. Power To The People
12. Well… (Baby Please Don’t Go)
13. God Save Us
14. Do The Oz
15. God Save Oz
16. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

CD2: The Ultimate Mixes Disc 2
New Mix in Stereo 16-44.1
Elements Mixes
1. Imagine (strings only)
2. Jealous Guy (piano, bass & drums)
3. Oh My Love (vocals only)
4. How? (strings only)
Album outtakes
5. Imagine (demo)
6. Imagine (take 1)
7. Crippled Inside (take 3)
8. Crippled Inside (take 6 – alt guitar solo)
9. Jealous Guy (take 9)
10. It’s So Hard (take 6)
11. I Don’t Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don’t Wanna Die (take 11)
12. Gimme Some Truth (take 4)
13. Oh My Love (take 6)
14. How Do You Sleep? (takes 1 & 2)
15. How? (take 31)
16. Oh Yoko! (Bahamas 1969)
Singles outtakes
17. Power To The People (take 7)
18. God Save Us (demo)
19. Do The Oz (take 3)
20. Happy Xmas (War Is Over) (alt mix)

CD3: Raw Studio Mixes
New Mix in Stereo 16-44.1
Extended Album Versions: Live
1. Imagine (take 10)
2. Crippled Inside (take 6)
3. Jealous Guy (take 29)
4. It’s So Hard (take 11)
5. I Don’t Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don’t Wanna Die (take 4 – extended)
6. Gimme Some Truth (take 4 – extended)
7. Oh My Love (take 20)
8. How Do You Sleep? (take 11 – extended)
9. How? (take 40)
10. Oh Yoko! (take 1 extended)
Outtakes: Live
11. Imagine (take 1)
12. Jealous Guy (take 11)
13. I Don’t Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don’t Wanna Die (take 21)
14. How Do You Sleep? (take 1)
15. How Do You Sleep? (takes 5 & 6)

CD4: The Evolution Documentary
New Mix in Mono 16-44.1
The story of each song on a journey from demo to master via instructions, rehearsals, recordings, multitrack exploration and studio chat
Album tracks only
1. Imagine
2. Crippled Inside
3. Jealous Guy
4. It’s So Hard
6. Gimme Some Truth
7. Oh My Love
8. How Do You Sleep?
9. How?
10. Oh Yoko!

Blu-ray Disc 1: Imagine: The Ultimate Mixes
Remixed Stereo Album, Singles, Extras & Outtakes
Imagine: The Album
Remix in 5.1 & Stereo 24-96
1. Imagine
2. Crippled Inside
3. Jealous Guy
4. It’s So Hard
6. Gimme Some Truth
7. Oh My Love
8. How Do You Sleep?
9. How?
10. Oh Yoko!
Singles & Extras
Remix in 5.1 & Stereo 24-96
1. Power To The People
2. Well… (Baby Please Don’t Go)
3. God Save Us (Bill Elliot vocal)
4. Do The Oz
5. God Save Oz (John Lennon vocal)
6. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)
The Outtakes
New Mix in 5.1 & Stereo 24-96
1. Imagine (demo)
2. Imagine (take 1)
3. Crippled Inside (take 3)
4. Crippled Inside (take 6 alt guitar solo)
5. Jealous Guy (take 9)
6. It’s So Hard (take 6)
7. I Don’t Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don’t Wanna Die (take 11)
8. Gimme Some Truth (take 4)
9. Oh My Love (take 6)
10. How Do You Sleep? (takes 1 & 2)
11. How? (take 31)
12. Oh Yoko! (Bahamas 1969)
13. Power To The People (take 7)
14. God Save Us (demo)
15. Do The Oz (take 3)
16. Happy Xmas (War Is Over) (alt mix)
The Quadrasonic Mixes
Remastered in Quad 4.0 24-96
Original 1971 Quadsonic Album Remastered
1. Imagine
2. Crippled Inside
3. Jealous Guy
4. It’s So Hard
6. Gimme Some Truth
7. Oh My Love
8. How Do You Sleep?
9. How?
10. Oh Yoko!

Blu-ray Disc 2: In The Studio and Deeper Listening
The Raw Studio Mixes – Extended Album Versions – Live
Experience, in immersive Surround Sound, the moment John and The Plastic Ono Band record each song live, from a sonic soundstage at the center of Ascot Sound Studios at John & Yoko’s home in Tittenhurst
1. Imagine (take 10)
2. Crippled Inside (take 6)
3. Jealous Guy (take 29)
4. It’s So Hard (take 11)
5. I Don’t Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don’t Wanna Die (take 4 – extended)
6. Gimme Some Truth (take 4 – extended)
7. Oh My Love (take 20)
8. How Do You Sleep? (take 11 – extended)
9. How? (take 40)
10. Oh Yoko! (take 1 – extended)
The Raw Studio Mixes – Outtakes – Live
1. Imagine (take 1)
2. Crippled Inside (take 2)
3. Crippled Inside (take 6 alt guitar solo)
4. Jealous Guy (take 11)
5. I Don’t Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don’t Wanna Die (take 21)
6. How Do You Sleep? (take 1)
7. How Do You Sleep? (takes 5 & 6)
8. How? (takes 7-10)
9. How? (take 40 alt vocal)
10. Oh Yoko! (take 1 tracking vocal)
The Elements Mixes
From the Master Multitracks
Mixes from elements of the original multitracks that demonstrate some of the instrumentations from ‘behind the scenes’
1. Imagine (strings)
2. Crippled Inside (upright bass & drums)
3. Jealous Guy (piano, bass & drums)
4. It’s So Hard (strings)
5. I Don’t Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don’t Wanna Die (guitar, bass & drums)
6. Gimme Some Truth (electric piano & guitar)
7. Oh My Love (vocals)
8. How Do You Sleep? (strings)
9. How? (strings)
10. Oh Yoko! (acoustic)
The Evolution Documentary
New Mix in Mono 24-96
The story of the songs from demo to master in rehearsals, studio chat and mixed multitrack elements
1. Imagine
2. Crippled Inside
3. Jealous Guy
4. It’s So Hard
6. Gimme Some Truth
7. Oh My Love
8. How Do You Sleep?
9. How?
10. Oh Yoko!
11. Power To The People
12. Well… (Baby Please Don’t Go)
13. God Save Us/God Save Oz
14. Do The Oz
15. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)
16. Tittenhurst Park
Imagine John & Yoko – The Elliot Mintz Interviews
New Mix in Mono 24-96
Tribute by DJ and family friend Elliot Mintz featuring revealing, philosophical, honest and humorous interviews with John & Yoko.

Imagine/ Gimme Some Truth: DVD, Blu-ray And Digital Release
Imagine (Film)
1. Imagine
2. Crippled Inside
3. Good Morning
4. Jealous Guy
5. Don’t Count The Waves
6. It’s So Hard
7. Mrs. Lennon
8. In Bag
9. I Don’t Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don’t Wanna Die
10. Mind Train
11. Whisper Piece
12. What’s That In The Sky?
13. Power To The People
14. Gimme Some Truth
15. Midsummer New York
16. Oh My Love
17. How Do You Sleep?
18. How?
19. Oh Yoko!
20. Beach / End Credits
Gimme Some Truth (Film)
1. Imagine
2. Crippled Inside
3. Oh Yoko!
4. Jealous Guy
5. It’s So Hard
6. I Don’t Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don’t Wanna Die
7. Gimme Some Truth
8. Oh My Love
9. How Do You Sleep?
10. How?
11. Imagine
DVD / Blu-Ray Extras
1. Jealous Guy (raw studio out-take)
2. How? (raw studio out-take)
3. Gimme Some Truth (raw studio out-take)
4. David Bailey photoshoot

Back