In your opinion - What is Michael's Worst Song?

Re: Michael's Worst Song?

Hm, 'worst' song makes me hesitant, wished this was worded differently. Not because I think that any musician is blessed with musical 'infallibility'= that even happens to a Beethoven...
Just because 'worst' is such an odd way to describe a musician's music- a musician who above all had TASTE, which is a rare thing. He rode a fine line between innovation, mainstream appeal, keeping it short enough for his attention span shrinking contemporaries, overloaded that attention span in songs like "Ghosts" etc, could be cheesy and calculated as heck and cringe worthy, too- all while moving an audience. It takes taste to accomplish all that.

A song that doen't hit home with me is "Don't walk away"- I simply cringe throughout the entire song, I don't even know why. The topic? No idea. Or maybe that's exactly the reaction that was intended??:ph34r::wild: If you're already pretty made up to end a relationship- someone on their knees is gonna make you cringe.

When it comes to songs he participated in: "All In Your Name". While I'm thrilled that we got some footage and am sure they had a lovely time together- that is definitely a song that makes me cry "WHY???????" :wacko:
The lyrics are okay with me, the chorus is very nice- the vocals completely put me off and I understand why it didn't see the light of day earlier. It feels like BOTH are screeching at their upper range and that just doesn't make for comfortable listening. There, I said it. And there's a reason that song stayed in the dark.

Btw, I totally and utterly adore non-praised songs like "Can't Let Her Get Away"- it's completely non-mainstream compatible and pushes the entire envelope of 'how is a contemporary song being constructed', not to mention that the frustration of "who knows the situation, mysteries still remain" is catchy as heck!

Lol, if every single fan gives a different title of the "worst" song, the global answer results in the funny situation that ALL MJ songs are weak and bad. Just saying :D

Lol, if every single fan gives a different title of the "worst" song, the global answer results in the funny situation that ALL MJ songs are weak and bad. Just saying :D

Lol true.

I'm not a fan of both Burn This Disco Out and Girlfriend. BTDO doesn't hit anything with me and Girlfriend just annoys me. Worst song in reality? Privacy, Cry, or 2000 Watts possibly. None of them touch me in any way although I do love the use of MJ's deeper voice in 2000 Watts.

Depends on how you want to look at it. Music is subjective, true, and if you want to take every single song posted in this thread into consideration you will eventually conclude, as you did, that all his song are indeed the "worst". But if you want the general consensus of a community (in this case, this discussion board) Then you WILL come up with a concise, objective list of what the community considers as his worst songs by taking only the song that frequent more than others. Even though we are still in the third page a few candidates have indeed began to stand out. They don't necessarily reflect your personal opinion. But it does reflect this community's opinion as a whole.

Depends on how you want to look at it. Music is subjective, true, and if you want to take every single song posted in this thread into consideration you will eventually conclude, as you did, that all his song are indeed the "worst". But if you want the general consensus of a community (in this case, this discussion board) Then you WILL come up with a concise, objective list of what the community considers as his worst songs by taking only the song that frequent more than others. Even though we are still in the third page a few candidates have indeed began to stand out. They don't necessarily reflect your personal opinion. But it does reflect this community's opinion as a whole.

But the prob is that not every single MJ fan posts inhere. So, you will never be able to conclude which song is the worst. And by the way, worst for what? For not matching the taste of the majority? The majority is not equal to objectivity. So it's a dead-end.

But the prob is that not every single MJ fan posts inhere. So, you will never be able to conclude which song is the worst. And by the way, worst for what? For not matching the taste of the majority? The majority is not equal to objectivity. So it's a dead-end.
That is precisely why i said that this thread is a reflection of this board. It won't be 100% until every fan posts, true, but it does give an indication. And by worst the OP means the worst song in comparison to Michael Jackson's standards. It doesn't mean that the songs are bad but they are of lower standards than his other work. Finally, I never said the majority will equal objectivity, in fact I said that your opinion shouldn't reflect the list that is showing on other people's posts. But I can safely say that the majority of the people who posted on this thread believe This Time Around, Can't Let Her Get Away, or The Lost Children to be some of Michael's worst songs. That is a statement that cannot be denied and hence, is an objective one.

That is precisely why i said that this thread is a reflection of this board. It won't be 100% until every fan posts, true, but it does give an indication. And by worst the OP means the worst song in comparison to Michael Jackson's standards. It doesn't mean that the songs are bad but they are of lower standards than his other work. Finally, I never said the majority will equal objectivity, in fact I said that your opinion shouldn't reflect the list that is showing on other people's posts. But I can safely say that the majority of the people who posted on this thread believe This Time Around, Can't Let Her Get Away, or The Lost Children to be some of Michael's worst songs. That is a statement that cannot be denied and hence, is an objective one.

Um that objectivity could easily be reversed by those who are to post, if they post.

Now clearly if we played "The Lost Children" in a disco bar and "2000 Watts" to grand parents at X-mas, something would be wrong. But if we reverse the situations, it'd create much more approriate atmosphere.

Michael sang "The Lost Children" to his own children. I am sure he'd disagree that it's a weak song despite what the community on this board says.

Um that objectivity could easily be reversed by those who are to post, if they post.

Now clearly if we played "The Lost Children" in a disco bar and "2000 Watts" to grand parents at X-mas, something would be wrong. But if we reverse the situations, it'd create much more approriate atmosphere.

Michael sang "The Lost Children" to his own children. I am sure he'd disagree that it's a weak song despite what the community on this board says.
I'm not sure you quite understood what I'm trying to say. The songs cannot be factually weak, that goes against the first rule of music, what one could consider garbage is a treasure to another. I'm strictly talking about a community's perception to a song. Taking the example you posted, the communities would consider those songs to be weak because they are not quite the type of songs said communities are looking for,their perception is a fact to them, but does that mean the songs themselves are inherently weak? There is no possible way to determine that.

PS. I think The Lost Children to be one of MJ's best compositions but alas that's not what the members at the board seem to think.

I'm not sure you quite understood what I'm trying to say. The songs cannot be factually weak, that goes against the first rule of music, what one could consider garbage is a treasure to another. I'm strictly talking about a community's perception to a song. Taking the example you posted, the communities would consider those songs to be weak because they are not quite the type of songs said communities are looking for,their perception is a fact to them, but does that mean the songs themselves are inherently weak? There is no possible way to determine that.

PS. I think The Lost Children to be one of MJ's best compositions but alas that's not what the members at the board seem to think.

Well, ok, that was my point since the beginning.

Well, ok, that was my point since the beginning.
I was just trying to show you that subjectivity can have a on objective outcome and vice versa. The two are not mutually exclusive. If that's what you meant from your posts then yeah I think I've wasted both our times but that wasn't the impression I got. That's all. :p

I can't believe so many people have said The Lost Children, it's beautiful!

I never really understood why most fans love Bad so much. If you forget about the video and it being the title track, I don't think the song is that great.

Well, back then it was a huge and massive hit. It was fresh, new and even non-fans used to sing it.

Aside from that, the song is inspired from a news story about a young guy killed in the ghetto.

Musically, listen to those beats, none had such a song back then:

[youtube]Z409B8kyobc[/youtube]

As far as other songs are concerned, and as far as I am concerned, NONE of MJ's songs are bad or least favorite. When I listen too much to some of the songs, I switch back to the others, and so on.

Even the J5 and the Jacksons songs are all good. Sorry, but MJ's voice and style is so unique that he could record a song with an orchestra slamming the kettles, dishes, plates and the cuttlery in a subway station and sing random notes improvising the text, it would still be a good song. And no, I am not exagerating, I'd pay for such a song.
^ THIS! :yes:

I agree!
By the way, among others, in MJJC Exclusive Q&A, Joe Vogel said, talking about "Little Susie":
This may be a piece I explore in more depth later on (ala "Earth Song") along with "Michael McKellar" and "Lost Children." They're all very fascinating.
I really hope that Mr. Vogel will do that. It would draw attention and re-evaluation of this great work of art.

P.S. I also hope that we will hear the song "Michael McKellar" in the near future.

P.S. I also hope that we will hear the song "Michael McKellar" in the near future.

Me too. Maybe they'll put it out on Bad25.

I also found this:

7eec03d1d0.jpg

There are VERY few Michael Jackson songs that i dislike. Usually, even his weakest songs are quite good. But I'd pick 3 or 4 songs out of his whole back catalogue that I actually dislike and they are:

You Are My Life
Privacy
2000 Watts
Girlfriend

3 of those songs were from Invincible. 3 songs which should never have made the album (especially considering what other songs we know Mike was working on at the time that were MUCH better). Invincible has some brilliant songs, particularly Whatever Happens, Don't Walk Away and Butterflies, but if he left off YAML, Privacy and 2000 Watts it would have been a better album.

I find Girlfriend and You Are My Life far too schmaltzy. 2000 Watts just doesn't do it for me. And Privacy is just poor.

But out of an extensive back catalogue, I can only pick out those songs. It just goes to show how strong Mike's back catalogue is that I can only pick out 3 or 4 songs that I don't like.

I literally went through the whole thread doing this :doh: and shouting '' oh my God''. I can't believe what I read. I know they're opinions but im like NoooOOoo..

The original 'The Girl is Mine' with just Michael is much better than the duet with Paul.

I've got to be honest, the song that I think is the worst and the only Michael song that I've never listened to all the way through is Little Susie.

How can you guys HATE a Michael Jackson song? OMJ that's.... That's impossible. In fact, it should be illegal. But hey everyone has a song they dislike of course. I personally don't hate or dislike any song. But that's me ^___^

It's been a long time since I posted here ...
So I ask, in your opinion, which is Michael Jackson's worst song? ...
Those songs that, when you hear them you can't help but see the colour red.

Here is your answer according to the Various opinions posted here
Is this what you were looking for ?

The Lost Children
You Are My Life
Butterflies
It's The Falling In Love
2000 Watts
Girlfriend
Can't let her get away
Privacy
It's the falling in love
Just Good Friends
Can't Let Her Get Away
Burn This Disco Out
Bad
This time around
streetwalker
Superfly Sister
The Girl Is Mine
Fly Away
You Are My Life
Heaven can Wait
Little Susie
Privacy
History
Don't walk away
All In Your Name
Man In The Mirror
Cry
Who Is It
Smile
Morphine
Beat It
Whatever Happens
Stranger In Moscow
Blood On The Dance Floor
I Just Can't Stop Loving You
Heal The World

Personally I find this thread very sad .

Back