JACKSON 5 animated series coming to DVD/Blu Ray--Jan. 15, 2013

January 15th is my birthday!!

What a great birthday present!!

5143yvSEQjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In the January 2013 of The Costco Connection magazine says that Jackson 5ive: The Complete Animated Series is now available (mid January)on DVD/Blu-ray combo pack. Includes 23 full-length episodes and 46 original Jackson 5ive songs. Warehouse only.

Contains 46 remastered Jackson 5ive Songs
The Complete Animated Series (23 Episodes)
Includes #1 Hits: I'll Be There.
I Want You Back, The Love You Save

5143yvSEQjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In the January 2013 of The Costco Connection magazine says that Jackson 5ive: The Complete Animated Series is now available (mid January)on DVD/Blu-ray combo pack. Includes 23 full-length episodes and 46 original Jackson 5ive songs. Warehouse only.

Contains 46 remastered Jackson 5ive Songs
The Complete Animated Series (23 Episodes)
Includes #1 Hits: I'll Be There.
I Want You Back, The Love You Save

Oh & I threw away my costco magazine when it came in the mail. Well it is a good thing I am on this forum to get information.

Happy birthday Hess.

Sad if the audio is not good. :(

I am sure I will enjoy it anyway - I've never seen it.

That pretty much put it in a nutshell, the review given, as to the history of where it all began, including the rivalry between the Osmond Brothers and the Jackson 5, including how Donny Osmond was told by Michael Jackson about turning down doing "One Bad Apple."

It's funny how Donny Osmond has spent his whole life referencing Michael Jackson in his career, including the crotch grabbing. My perspective is that Donny Osmond had an undercurrent not liking Michael Jackson for whatever personal reasons, since there are obvious references to and including jokes about Michael's nose, of which I reminded Donny Osmond that Debbie Osmond, Donny's wife had a nose job, too, as I had met the new Mrs. Donny Osmond at their wedding reception held up in the Elvis Presley suite at the Hilton Hotel back in May of 1978 and was greatly surprised at her unflattering nose at which prompted Donny to come over with rage in his eyes in defence of his lovely new bride, like as if I could find fault with his Mormon bride. Yes, I'd be careful about referencing Donny Osmond as an ally of Michael Jackson. Donny even insinuated the same as Lisa Presley about only Michael Jackson and the boy new the truth about what happened in that room!

Jackson 5ive: The Complete Animated Series Blu-ray Review
You know what should be "simple as Do-Re-Mi" at this stage of the Blu-ray era? Lossless audio.
Reviewed by Jeffrey Kauffman, January 5, 2013
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jackson-5ive-The-Complete-Animated-Series-Blu-ray/58291/#Review

^^Donny is not important. I listened to the Osmonds but Michael and Donny are not in the same universe Musically & talent wise even though the industry would offer things to the Osmonds first before the Jacksons. Remember Michael got to sing the song for the mouse movie because Donny was not able to. Glad to see the series are here, because I have a lot of kids to give presents to & I need to keep a copy for myself.

^^Donny is not important. I listened to the Osmonds but Michael and Donny are not in the same universe Musically & talent wise even though the industry would offer things to the Osmonds first before the Jacksons. Remember Michael got to sing the song for the mouse movie because Donny was not able to. Glad to see the series are here, because I have a lot of kids to give presents to & I need to keep a copy for myself.
When Donny got married, he killed his Career as a teen heartthrob. That's why I believe Michael gave Donny and Marie the Jackson's song "Going Places," to do on their show, as the ratings for the new season had plummeted. In fact it was cancelled in January of 1979 and this after the Osmonds built their own Studio in Orem, Utah. Since Michael had come to Donny's rescue at this time, why would't Michael's Producer, Quincy Jones, make Donny the next Michael Jackson, as Quincy spoke about in the video "Liberian Girl," with Jackie Collins, the sister of Joan Collins, who went on to be Mrs. Potipher, the temptress in the Andrew Lloyd movie of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat," in which Donny Osmond was "Joseph."

Jimmy Osmond helped Michael Jackson with his business connections in Japan and that's how the BAD tour happened. "Michael and I got an opportunity to be more than just 'hi-'bye' guys. I actually brokered his Asian tours when he did his 'Bad' album, and we stayed in touch after that.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705312988/Osmond-recalls-friendship-with-Jackson.html?pg=all

Speaking of "Liberian Girl" Jim Yukich who directed "Liberian Girl" had previously directed "Ambitious" (Epic Records) September 18, 1985!
Jeff Beck-Ambitious(Donny Osmond)

^^Well Jones couldn't make Osmond the next Michael, because Osmond did not have the same stuff that Michael had & Michael was an activate maker of his stardom. It is not as though Quincy made "Michael Jackson," and Michael was a placid bystander. People who make such statements need to look at Michael's work ethic + talent + genius qualities before they write that someone could turn another into a Micahel Jackson.

Even in his book http://donny.myshopify.com/collections/books/products/life-is-just-what-you-make-it-my-story-so-far Donny says that Quincy Jones considered signing him for a year or so on page 214, starting in 1983. That's why Quincy makes reference to this in the video "Liberian Girl" about one minute mark.
Michael was able to break from his teen years with his brothers, but Donny never quite got away from the teen image like Michael achieved in his life!

Thank you Petrarose for the dialogue, the continuation of it, a good way for us to express ourselves, don't ya think?

Sure ^^. I like to hear teens from Michael's era talk about how it could have been them, like the guy from the Patridge family & this one from the Osmonds. Q himself, does not even understand what makes a Michael Jackson, so that is why there is an idea that another kid could be The One. Notice how Michael did not want to be the next James Brown? He adored that man and his talents, but still wanted to be a phenomenal Michael Jackson.

About the comment under the video about Michael breaking from his teen years. Osmond forgot also that Michael's breaking away was thought out and purposeful. If he reads Michael's book he will see how Michael commented on the fact that he did not want them to be an oldies group before he was even out of his teens. Michael was always thinking ahead and working towards a future goal. This is something I find amazing about Michael--he lokes at what he is doing in his career, what happened to others, where he wants to be, & then begins making plans. He is always thinking....

This video is a historical piece too because you get to see the depiction of the child star who became an adult star. I know it is a cartoon & the voice is not Michael's, but Michael is represented there and so are the songs the group sang.

Were the Osmonds REALLY competition to the Jackson 5? The Osmonds couldn't really get a hit after 1974 whereas the Jackson brothers, while having rough patches, continued to be successful

Were the Osmonds REALLY competition to the Jackson 5? The Osmonds couldn't really get a hit after 1974 whereas the Jackson brothers, while having rough patches, continued to be successful
That's when the focus was on Donny and Marie and their continued success with the Variety Show, "Donny and Marie" of which I showed a clip up above me.

Don't forget to go shopping tomorrow guys. It will be January 15th.

OK Just picked up my copy at best buy. I bought both the dvds and blue rays. Anyone else bought theirs?

[h=1]TV on DVD: A Michael Jackson Saturday morning cartoon from the man who animated the Beatles in 'Yellow Submarine'[/h]

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/tv-on-dvd-...-beatles-in--yellow-submarine--012002159.html

• Getty Images -

The Beatles had already starred in cartoons on TV and the big screen, and the Osmonds would soon follow, but in 1971, Motown, Rankin/Bass Productions, and ABC decided that the Jackson 5 needed to be featured in a Saturday morning animated series.
The result debuts on DVD and Blu-ray this week: "The Jackson 5ive: The Complete Animated Series" (Classic Media), a collection of all 23 episodes of the short-lived (1971-72) series that found Michael Jackson and his brothers embroiled in various high jinks.
When the family band from Gary, Indiana, wasn't being accidentally called to military duty (the "Drafted" episode), getting turned into "Wizard of Oz" characters in Michael's imagination in the "Wizard of Soul" episode (seven years before Michael starred in "The Wiz"), or, in a rather clever nod to "Rashomon" (really), breaking up and finding out from each brother's perspective what would happen to them if they stayed split up, the episodes also featured performances by the Jackson 5.
Jackie, Marlon, Tito, Jermaine, and Michael didn't provide the voices for their characters -- the group's schedule, as we all know from that oft-aired "Jacksons" TV miniseries that showed Papa Joe working them around the clock, didn't permit it -- but the two songs that pop up in each episode are the Jackson 5 at their best.
The musical interludes, as well as the rest of the series animation, are bold and colorful and kinda trippy (it was the early '70s), and if that style is reminiscent of the Beatles flick "Yellow Submarine," there's a reason: "The Jackson 5ive" 'toon's animation director was Robert Balser, who was also the animation director on "Yellow Submarine."
The now semiretired Balser, an AMPAS and BAFTA member who was also a director on "Barney," an animator on "Heavy Metal," and an animation supervisor on "The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show," talked to Yahoo! TV about his experience with "The Jackson 5ive," calling it "one of my great pleasures in my career. That and 'Yellow Submarine.'"
How did your work on "Yellow Submarine" inspire you on the "Jackson 5ive" cartoon?
Well, it's very interesting. "Yellow Submarine" was basically interpreting the songs … those songs are just beautiful, and so when we did "The Jackson 5ive," every episode had one or two songs in it. Basically, I used about a dozen or two dozen studios in Europe to do the songs because I had complete freedom. I gave the songs to a lot of very, very important artists and said, "Make me a song, as long as it follows in the theme of what the [episode] is." I briefed them on everything that I wanted. Some of the songs are really wonderful. We did [that] stuff long before there was computer animation, in terms of the images and so forth. If you look at it, you'll see some weird stuff that had never been done before.
Watch "Yellow Submarine":
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wrs5DjHNUOE" frameborder="0"></iframe>​
Do you feel like the music scenes were sort of pre MTV music videos?
The songs are exciting. We wanted to do something as free as can be. Some of the songs, naturally, are better than others, and some of the images for the songs are just really terrific. If it's a circus theme, it's a circus song, but it's completely abstract with all kinds of crazy things happening. Yeah, I suppose it was a predecessor of the MTV concept, that they just followed up with promoting their songs commercially with images.
The animation is really fun, and the stories are fun, too, with some better writing than we remember on a lot of the later Saturday morning cartoons.
When they called me to come in on the project &#8230; they had started the project in the United States. They had taken a lot of time and weren't happy with the first episode. They were worried about the delivery, because ABC had a definite broadcast date. When they called me, and I looked at it, I just said, "No." I would not do it, because it had several scripts that were violent. This was the first time a black group was going to be featured (on Saturday morning television). The effect that that was going to have had to be positive. They've got to solve their problems with music or with intelligence, in clever ways. I'm really proud of the fact that I was able to change the whole direction of the series and that it became what it is, in terms of the songs, in terms of the themes. It was all very positive.
Diana Ross recorded her voice for the first episode of the show, which loosely tells the real-life story about how she helped discover the group, but the Jacksons themselves didn't provide any of the voice work for the show beyond the music. And the voice work was recorded completely in the United States while you were working on the animation in London &#8230; was that difficult to work around?
It depends on what you're doing. In terms of this kind of a show, I had pretty much tied the story down before they had even gotten to a recording situation. Any problems of dialogue would have been solved in the script. It's just a question of, you've got maybe [a different] interpretation. When I did "Yellow Submarine," I was involved in all of the recording sessions with the actors who did the Beatles' voices. That, of course, was a completely different kind of thing. When we did "Yellow Submarine," it was a film in flux. There was no script. All of the things I'm telling you were done on [the Jackson 5 cartoon] weren't done in "Yellow Submarine." The film was done without a script, without a storyboard. It was just done by the seat of our pants.
Watch the first episode featuring Diana Ross:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rIs3xnMxU8Y" frameborder="0"></iframe>​
That sounds both exciting and nerve wracking.
I'll tell you, it was probably the greatest year of my life.
How long did it take you to complete an episode of "The Jackson 5ive"?
A little less than a year.
To make one?
No, to do the whole thing. To do the 17 half-hours for the first season. I was supervising director of the series, and what I did was, I put together four or five units with directors to do each episode. So I would work with each director in terms of doing the episodes, and there were four or five episodes being done at a time.
Were you a fan of the Jackson 5 when you signed on to make the animated series?
You know, I didn't know the Jackson 5. I didn't even really know the Beatles. I was in Spain. I moved to Spain in 1960, and that music just wasn't in the Spanish scene. I had heard of them, but I certainly didn't -- couldn't say I was a fan, because I didn't know the music. But naturally, when you get involved with it, you know, it's a completely different thing.
Did you become a fan of the music?
Oh, of course. Love, love their music.
What kinds of things do you watch now? Is there particular animation that you're a fan of now?
You know, it's changed so completely. Certainly I love animation. I'll catch an episode here and there because I want to see, you know, what's being done. I'm in the academy, the short film and feature animation branch, on the nominating committees for the short films and the animated films, so I've seen everything.
But you know, it's just too -- it's gone so far beyond. I mean, I've given lots of seminars, and when I'm talking in a seminar, I'm talking about what's basic to communication in filmmaking. The idea, the story, communication, the planning, all of those things are universal. It doesn't matter what technique you use. What's happened in computer animation, though, is it's gotten to the point where even the people that are in it can't keep up with it, because it's moving so fast. I don't know if you saw "The Life of Pi," but that tiger does not exist. That is creative. I thought that was an incredible job. That's animation now. It's pure animation, but done with computer and with various programs. The way that it's being done now, in terms of structuring the internal movements, and the muscles on top of it, and the skin on top of that, and the fur on top of that -- they've just gone so far.
I can only be in awe, the same as anybody else would be in awe.

I picked up the Blu-Ray today and watched 3 episodes so far. I wasn't around back then, so it's nice to watch them.

I picked up the Blu-Ray today and watched 3 episodes so far. I wasn't around back then, so it's nice to watch them.

Good for you. I left mine to look at on Saturday or Friday night, when I can relax and enjoy it. If it was a Michael concert or cd I would have already listened/watched it!!!

I have the blu-ray and it is excellent. Visuals and music at very high quality. Packaging compliments the product.

The cartoons are STILL Michael so Michael fans will enjoy hearing him at the start of his career.

Last edited:
I finally got mine after searching for days! I was pleased but when I watched it I realized how badly I wished the Jacksons actually lent their voices to this.

I got two copies and I'm thinking about doing a giveaway for the other one on my blog.

I just bought the DVD today at Future Shop and I just started watching it right now.

Back