I Am a Fan, But... (What Makes You Heretic Among Other Fans?)

Re: Unpopular Michael Jackson Opinions?

Yeah, he had to wear wigs/extensions after the Pepsi incident. Thats why, especially during the 1990s, his hair length was able to vary and drastically change so quickly.

A while ago I read a really interesting article on his hair throughout his life, you might be interested. You can read it here!

Thanks! Looks like a great read!

What's wrong with "only focusing on the good", when it comes to someone you respect/love?

Do you regularly sit with your family in a room picking them apart, one by one?

Surely people come on here because they have decided, all things being considered, that MJ is someone to be respected? Yes, he was not perfect, as none of us are. But surely people on here come to talk about his legacy and positive influences. Why wallow in his imperfections?

My Grandad had lots of faults, as well as being one of the nicest people the family has ever known. If I went to the next family gathering and said, " I liked Grandad, but let's all list his flaws, including his looks please, and see who could think of the most 'unpopular'", what reaction do you think I would get?

I don't know why these people don't join some anti-MJ forum with this shit. Or do I? Perhaps they wouldn't then be annoying real MJ fans in the process?

These kinds of threads can be interesting when people just focus on the music. I enjoy reading other people's unpopular opinions when it comes to MJ's music, short films and live performances.

But I really don't like it when MJ's personal life gets brought into these kind of threads. Cause that's when all the arguing starts

These kinds of threads can be interesting when people just focus on the music. I enjoy reading other people's unpopular opinions when it comes to MJ's music, short films and live performances.

But I really don't like it when MJ's personal life gets brought into these kind of threads. Cause that's when all the arguing starts

I know and understand. I didn't mean for it to turn into an argument at all. I only wanted to discuss his music and stuff. I would never attack MJ.

- Off The Wall is the most underrated album on this board.
- Michael released very few solo albums. I don't count his solo albums with Motown so for me he only released 6 solo albums.
- 2000 Watts and Don't Walk Away are both decent songs.
- The One More Chance released on Number Ones is a very average song.
- Bad should have been a double disk album at least. Some incredible Bad outtakes have been release posthumously and I feel MJ could have pulled of a double disc album.
- Songs like Morphine, Ghosts, In The Back, Innocent Man should have made the HIStory album ahead of DS, This Time Around, Come Together.
- Speaking of Come Together, that's the worst Michael song ever. So boring.
- Michael should toured America during the HIStory era. His reputation in America at that time was very negative and he only made it worse by refusing to perform in his homeland. I think his reputation would have improved somewhat had he performed in his home country.
- Michael should have also done a tour or some performances in America to promote Invincible.
- Even though the HIStory Tour is looked down negatively upon by most fans on this board, I do like some performances on that tour especially the performance of They Don't Care About Us. It's brilliant.
- Unlike most fans, I prefer the Dangerous 93 version over the later live performances of the song.

I think the format of releasing an album every 4 years, then spending 2 years releasing singles from it, hindered him after 'thriller'.

I have no issues with him miming. I don't think he did it as much as some claim, and when he did it was for good reason. although multi talented, I want to see him dance more than anything.

I believe peter pan was a genuine part of who he was, and not an act for the public. same goes for his speaking voice. soft tones run in his family. it remained even when he was in his lower register.

it's the quality of the song that matters, not who happened to write it. is 'human nature' any less magical? as long as Michael's singing is amazing, and it has melody and an interesting concept, I'm sold.

I prefer individual performances over tours.

I don't think that all remixes are bad.

I think 'beat it' is the most overlooked message song. the focus tends to fall on the genre merging and visuals.

^ I will have to see that very differently.

It's been shown those who spread time between albums have overall better sales on a per album bases. it builds demand, creates an ora around it in a way those who release albums every year..

I'll have to say the time between HIStory and Invincible was too far for the simple fact culture changed from mid 90's to early 00's a lot. That should be considered, and now days - in a world of impatience and too quick to move on to the next hot thing... Having an album released ever 2-3 years is how it used to be for every 4-6 years..

If albums were still being released by Mike in todays market, it would have to be shorter periods between albums.. But we know his plan was to leave album sales anyway, it's a single world now.. He knew that!

Re: Controversial or Unpopular Opinions on Michael's MUSIC

I always thought that popularity was based on hits, i.e memorable releases that reached the widest demographic, rather than record sales. there are many records that reach the top spot only to be forgotten about moments later. 'Blood on the dancefloor' (uk single) is a prime example of that. It's also an example of the constant changing musical landscape. That type of new jack swing was dated in 1997. Even Teddy Riley wished that Michael called him to revamp it before releasing it. Same could be said for 'ghosts', 'superfly sister' and even 'you rock my world' (although the latter two are not new jack swing songs).

It's rumoured that Michael was to release individual singles over the course of his 'this is it' shows, and add them to the set list gradually, giving people a chance to get to know them, and build a collection. As opposed to the traditional album format. Not sure how true that is, but I believe it to be a fresher approach.

Re: Controversial or Unpopular Opinions on Michael's MUSIC

The one that makes me wildly unpopular...

Prince is better than Michael Jackson in every way except for dancing and charitable works (Prince was very selfish later in life, while MJ was organising we are the world, Prince did a token canned food drive in Minneapolis and did a couple fo shows for deaf kids).

I really love Prince's music, I really love Michael Jackson's music too - but not as much as Prince's.
Other stuff

Michael got far too carried away with the Plastic surgery.
Part of me is angry for his dependence on painkillers and addictive drugs, necessary or not.
Off the Wall is a fantastic album
Invincible is almost as good as all the other albums
Michael should not have paid off the Chandler family, he should have gone to trial and won, so that would have stopped the muck being raked.
His kids are not biologically his. Prince and Paris look 100% white and Jewish and are likely Arnold Klein as the father and Debbie Rowe as mother. Blanket possibly could be, but he looks more Indian than Black and I think he may be Omar Bhatti's kid?

Thank you for your unpopular and wrong opinions, oh brave one.

giphy.gif

I've always found 'blame it on the boogie' to be a much better song than 'shake your body'.

'Billie jean' could have been a tad faster (and a little shorter).

Last edited:
-HIStory is painfully underrated for many in this community and frankly, can't see why. They don't care about us, Earth Song, You are not alone are TRUE masterpieces.

-Childhood is another very underrated song and don't get me started with The Lost Children....

-Ok... here is an unpopular one but... I don't like Butterflies. :stop:

-'She's out of my life' think it's one of his best ballads.

-'This is it' is another VERY underrated song, it's beautiful :cry:

-I LOVE his Peter Pan complex

-If I have to criticize a trade of his personality it would be that he was not good at judging people or choosing most of his 'friends' (generally speaking of course). Don't know if he was too naive or why but many of the people around him betrayed him, he should have seen this coming sooner or at least listen to the ones who warned him about them.

Last edited:
That's odd... I always found that 'History', along with 'Bad' and 'Dangerous' get the most praise and attention in the fan community. If anything, it's the stuff that came before that is dismissed and misunderstood, when it set the foundation for Michael to build upon. I've never seen anyone discuss the Jacksons variety show in depth..

Lemme get a few of my opinions down:
-I think The Estate has done an absolutely diabolical job with keeping his legacy alive,despite how much money he's earned since 2009. Branca/McClain both need the boot so we have better executors because they've done an absolutely pitiful job and their track record proves my point.
-I don't think a lot of Michael's songs are terrible,but there are songs that I can't listen to on a regular basis. I couldn't name them though lol.
-Thriller is unbelievably overrated even though it's the biggest selling album of all time. It doesn't mean that I still won't get down and dance to the songs though lol.
-The five new songs off Blood On The Dance Floor are criminally underrated. I feel like nobody ever truly talks about them,especially Superfly Sister. Although I couldn't count Ghost/Is It Scary as "new songs" since they were recorded for HIStory then featured in the Ghosts short film.
-I think that the fans that believe that he's still alive are mentally unstable and they still haven't gotten over his death clearly so they still cling onto this false reality that he's here planting all these clues around the media and playing all these games when he's not really here.

I could go on forever about opinions as an MJ fan but I'm sure my point's already come across quite well. Plus you should also know that Michael makes me do this 24/7:
tumblr_opem73YxQh1u2j25go1_500.gif

As amazing as the 'thriler' short film is, I find myself enjoying 'beat it' more.

Michael's autobiography was very revealing. Most of the questions I see fans asking today, were already answered in it.

'Searching for Neverland' was the worst of the 3 feature films done about Michael.

Apart from a few songs, the 'Michael' album was very good. In fact, I wish Michael himself was able to complete, release, and promote it.

The Thriller performances from the HIStory tour was really cheesy and cringy to watch. Especially with the fake MJ dancing around like he had too many cups of coffee.

Last edited:
Regarding the music:
- Liberian Girl is the most underrated song in Bad album. But the music video could've been better.
- Just Good Friends is a nope.
- I don't like Thriller album cover.
- Dafuq is the video to Can You Feel It (The Jacksons)? LOL
- Bad should have been a double album featuring Price of Fame, Free, I'm so Blue and none of those remixes.
- Didn't like Michael singing in Spanish and French.

There are also my thoughts about some fans and groups I've known that basically get me kicked from everywhere. Feel free to skip if you get bored.

- Excessive idolatry. I've witnessed an argument about music that involved Will.I.am and some studio-related stories. The person said that because Michael could hear some sounds/notes in the master tape and Will.I.am couldn't then Michael was some sort of divine being, that this was a feat possible only to a king,etc. This could be easily explained by tonotopy or maybe Will.I.am's tinnitus (yep...he told that himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JojiB_zSKW4&t=0m48s). But of course, the person refused to accept these as logical explanations.
There's a brazilian group on Whatsapp that seems like North Korea sometimes. The admin banned a boy who said that Bruno Mars's SuperBowl concert was better than Michael's. If you put some time to think about it in terms of available technology, media coverage and experience the team responsible for the Halftime Show gained through all of these years it makes a lot of sense. The rest is personal taste, but even that can be augmented/diminished in certain ways by the previous stuff I mentioned. Also, this admin disses everyone who disagrees with him and he does that in a very rude way, which leads me to the next topic...

- Moral hypocrisy. We all know the L.O.V.E. thing. We've almost never heard of Michael treating people badly (I have my thoughts on that but I'll save them for another topic). They say the group and the fans should live by this L.O.V.E. message and use Michael as a role model but 5s later they're verbally assaulting someone else because their opinions are different. And there's also the hate towards the impersonators. You can say you don't like them for some reason like "the makeup is horrible", it's fine. But I've seen some nasty comments about how (theoretically) they fail to live up to a standard that's not theirs (it's the community's), how they should be ashamed of themselves because they're capitalizing over Michael's work... Even LaVelle himself had to read some rude comments from brazilians about his dance workshop and work with Rodrigo Teaser (a brazilian tribute artist). Even Cirque du Soleil wasn't spared. But remember we also beg for the Estate to release stuff for us to buy. And while we're at it...

- Double standards situations + aggressive behavior. I feel like I should've included this under the "moral hypocrisy"... And I'm not sure about how I should name it... We all have hobbies here. For different reasons. And some of us may get money out of them. AstralRomance used to make and sell dolls. I remember a thread at PosMike where someone told she sang. Some of us can act. I'm still learning how to play the violin and the piano. But inside the groups I've known if you show your work to others you won't get good reactions from most people because Michael is taken as the standard. Now, you know a person can excel at one thing, be good at 2 or 3 and awful at a gazillion others but some fans keep putting Michael on a pedestal while putting other people down. Better: in order to keep Michael on a pedestal they actively put other people down. You know that. It's the envy, the non-acceptance of someone with better technique even if the field isn't music (or, if it is, complete ignorance of how different habilities are required). We all know the Prince vs. Michael story. We know Prince was a multi-instrumentalist. But then why say this is a nice perk to have only if Michael has it? It's like the rest of the world is forbidden to have some of his traits. And this happens between the fans too. In one of those fangroups someone asked people to post their drawings. I spent 2 weeks in silence there and waited until others sent their work. So I got comfortable with the comments that were being made and sent mine. Then, the rage. Someone said that was a photoshoped pic of Michael because he'd seen it already. Other person said I couldn't have done that myself (like, I was stealing the pic from someone else). So I sent them all the photos I took while drawing the thing. They still wouldn't belive and went on saying I was lying. Then someone sent an Instagram link from a woman who happens to draw Michael from time to time, telling me that *this* was a real drawing. I was like "So, what makes a drawing real for you? An account on Instagram?". What about people who make a living out of drawing? Are their drawings more real than a hobbyist's just because they earn money? Or why on earth people think a hobbyist can't reach a above-the-average level?

Regarding the music:
- Liberian Girl is the most underrated song in Bad album. But the music video could've been better.
- Just Good Friends is a nope.
- I don't like Thriller album cover.
- Bad should have been a double album featuring Price of Fame, Free, I'm so Blue and none of those remixes.

There are also my thoughts about some fans and groups I've known that basically get me kicked from everywhere. Feel free to skip if you get bored.

- Excessive idolatry. I've witnessed an argument about music that involved Will.I.am and some studio-related stories. The person said that because Michael could hear some sounds/notes in the master tape and Will.I.am couldn't then Michael was some sort of divine being, that this was a feat possible only to a king,etc. This could be easily explained by tonotopy or maybe Will.I.am's tinnitus (yep...he told that himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JojiB_zSKW4&t=0m48s). But of course, the person refused to accept these as logical explanations.
There's a brazilian group on Whatsapp that seems like North Korea sometimes. The admin banned a boy who said that Bruno Mars's SuperBowl concert was better than Michael's. If you put some time to think about it in terms of available technology, media coverage and experience the team responsible for the Halftime Show gained through all of these years it makes a lot of sense. The rest is personal taste, but even that can be augmented/diminished in certain ways by the previous stuff I mentioned. Also, this admin disses everyone who disagrees with him and he does that in a very rude way, which leads me to the next topic...

- Moral hypocrisy. We all know the L.O.V.E. thing. We've almost never heard of Michael treating people badly (I have my thoughts on that but I'll save them for another topic). They say the group and the fans should live by this L.O.V.E. message and use Michael as a role model but 5s later they're verbally assaulting someone else because their opinions are different. And there's also the hate towards the impersonators. You can say you don't like them for some reason like "the makeup is horrible", it's fine. But I've seen some nasty comments about how (theoretically) they fail to live up to a standard that's not theirs (it's the community's), how they should be ashamed of themselves because they're capitalizing over Michael's work... Even LaVelle himself had to read some rude comments from brazilians about his dance workshop and work with Rodrigo Teaser (a brazilian tribute artist). Even Cirque du Soleil wasn't spared. But remember we also beg for the Estate to release stuff for us to buy. And while we're at it...

- Double standards situations + aggressive behavior. I feel like I should've included this under the "moral hypocrisy"... And I'm not sure about how I should name it... We all have hobbies here. For different reasons. And some of us may get money out of them. AstralRomance used to make and sell dolls. I remember a thread at PosMike where someone told she sang. Some of us can act. I'm still learning how to play the violin and the piano. But inside the groups I've known if you show your work to others you won't get good reactions from most people because Michael is taken as the standard. Now, you know a person can excel at one thing, be good at 2 or 3 and awful at a gazillion others but some fans keep putting Michael on a pedestal while putting other people down. Better: in order to keep Michael on a pedestal they actively put other people down. You know that. It's the envy, the non-acceptance of someone with better technique even if the field isn't music (or, if it is, complete ignorance of how different habilities are required). We all know the Prince vs. Michael story. We know Prince was a multi-instrumentalist. But then why say this is a nice perk to have only if Michael has it? It's like the rest of the world is forbidden to have some of his traits. And this happens between the fans too. In one of those fangroups someone asked people to post their drawings. I spent 2 weeks in silence there and waited until others sent their work. So I got comfortable with the comments that were being made and sent mine. Then, the rage. Someone said that was a photoshoped pic of Michael because he'd seen it already. Other person said I couldn't have done that myself (like, I was stealing the pic from someone else). So I sent them all the photos I took while drawing the thing. They still wouldn't belive and went on saying I was lying. Then someone sent an Instagram link from a woman who happens to draw Michael from time to time, telling me that *this* was a real drawing. I was like "So, what makes a drawing real for you? An account on Instagram?". What about people who make a living out of drawing? Are their drawings more real than a hobbyist's just because they earn money? Or why on earth people think a hobbyist can't reach a above-the-average level?

Excellent post, isis and you make excellent points as well, especially about the double standards, aggressive behaviour and moral hypocrisy. It is a disease of epic proportions on social media and particularly within groups, unless there is a very strong, tough, but fair and unbiased Administrator of said groups.

isis.binder said:

~Gasp~

I love both of these things! Michael singing in Spanish and French makes me melt.

Mikky Dee;4219169 said:
~Gasp~

I love both of these things! Michael singing in Spanish and French makes me melt.

lol
Honestly I can't remember any artist I like who sings in French.
I melt watching a particular duet between Laura Pausini and Michael Bublé singing "You'll never find another love like mine".

Torture is more of a WTF video than CYFI. Torture is just...To be honest, I really don't know how to describe it.

LMAO. Same. I can see why Michael didn't want anything to do with it and went to Disneyland on the day of the video shoot.

I prefer Jennifer Batten's guitar solo on Beat It over Eddie Van Halen's

-HIStory is painfully underrated for many in this community and frankly, can't see why. They don't care about us, Earth Song, You are not alone are TRUE masterpieces.

and don't get me started with The Lost Children....

-Ok... here is an unpopular one but... I don't like Butterflies. :stop:

-'This is it' is another VERY underrated song, it's beautiful :cry:

-If I have to criticize a trade of his personality it would be that he was not good at judging people or choosing most of his 'friends' (generally speaking of course). Don't know if he was too naive or why but many of the people around him betrayed him, he should have seen this coming sooner or at least listen to the ones who warned him about them.

I completely agree with all of these...Btw, I thought I was the only one who didn't care for "Butterflies" that much.
HIStory is underrated, but more in general public, not in the fan community, at least I don't have that impression. If there is one era that gets overlooked easily it is Jackson 5/The Jacksons.

Btw, I thought I was the only one who didn't care for "Butterflies" that much.

You are not alone. Lol. I could never see what the fuss was, over "Butterflies" and I still don't. I actually think it's a song that's written for a female to sing, not a male and is therefore an odd choice, from that perspective. Michael's vocal delivery of it is lovely, but I don't like the song itself and I think it was always too weak to be a single.....especially when there's a song like "Whatever Happens" sitting on that album (and "Threatened").

OK. The Dangerous album is not my favorite album. I like Off the Wall, Bad, HIStory, and Invincible all more than Dangerous.

Last edited:
I completely agree with all of these...Btw, I thought I was the only one who didn't care for "Butterflies" that much.
HIStory is underrated, but more in general public, not in the fan community, at least I don't have that impression. If there is one era that gets overlooked easily it is Jackson 5/The Jacksons.

RIGHT??? thought I was totally alone with the Butterflies song.

You think HIStory is popular among fans? I feel like Dangerous and Bad get all the love most of the time, and I get it, but come on Earth Song for instance is just just !!!!

Agree with the J5 and Jacksons AND Michael's solo career; highly unfairly underrated, there are SO MANY amazing songs from that era, it's a pitty people don't talk about them (and keep on pricing Butterflies instead..... LOL) .

Back