No Victory songs on the Victory tour?

Jermaine

Jermaine is missing on that photo. This makes me thinking if the initial victory album concept was thrown away once it was clear that Jermaine would join the brothers?
Jermaine wasn't involved at first and came in halfway through the sessions. That's why there's no songs written by him or solo leads on the album and he wasn't on the earlier publicity photos that were taken. Torture was originally a duet with Jackie & Mike. But when Jermaine rejoined the group, he replaced Jackie's lead vocal. On the 12" version of Torture, Jackie's ad libs are still there, which were removed on the album version. Mike sang on a song from Jermaine's 1984 self titled album (USA version) called Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin' and Tito & Randy do background vocals on Escape From The Planet Of The Ant Men.

Re: Centipede

What's disturbing about Centipede?

it's been awhile since I watched it, and I don't remember the full plot. I do remember a scene at he end where rebbie gives an evil look to camera, before zapping a museum security guard with red lightning bolts from her fingertips. lyrics are questionable too.. I do like the groove, arrangement, and chorus though. quite catchy! ;)

Lets be honest here, Victory was a very poor album. The only songs I enjoy are Torture & One More Chance and to an extent Wait and Be Not Always. The others are just plain awful. I'm annoyed that Michael agreed to do this awful album. I wish he could say 'no' to his mother. The brothers manipulated him to do this awful album by using their mother. I wish we had got a proper Thriller tour instead.

Lets be honest here, Victory was a very poor album. The only songs I enjoy are Torture & One More Chance and to an extent Wait and Be Not Always. The others are just plain awful. I'm annoyed that Michael agreed to do this awful album. I wish he could say 'no' to his mother. The brothers manipulated him to do this awful album by using their mother. I wish we had got a proper Thriller tour instead.

It is a solid album with few great songs including #3 hit State of Shock. I also love The Hurt, One More Chance and Wait.

Maybe they just thought the new stuff wasn't strong enough to stand up with their classic stuff.....?

They did think that and they were right. It was really a pseudo-Thriller tour any way...that is obvious to all.

One More Chance, State Of Shock, Wait, Torture, Be Not Always, The Hurt.

Victory was a solid album.

Personally victory is my least listened to jackson album.. not enough Michael for my liking..

There needs to be more than a few tracks with him on it.. and I mean his voice alone lol.. I never listen to any jackson song without waiting for his parts..

In fact I love hearing the mediocre vocals of the other brothers, than Michael swoops in and kills it.. takes it to another level!

That's just me

2300 Jackson Street

Personally victory is my least listened to jackson album.. not enough Michael for my liking..
Then it seems kinda odd that you would listen to the 2300 Jackson Street album more, since there is even less Mike on it.
tumblr_p4tma7SZMr1wz0m40o3_500.gif

Torture as one of my favourite Michael vocal delivery's of all time. ''Every little thing you find here, is simply for the thrill you're after'' - I love how he sings that part.

thanks for that! I must look up the lyrics to the rest of that verse. I honestly had no idea what he was saying (along with the 'billie jean' pepsi jingle). yet I *felt* his fear and satisfaction. i'm honestly not fond of the song, but I like it a whole lot better than 'state of shock'. Michael's voice elevates it (along with everything else he touched in the early '80's) and makes it worth a listen. not on the level of 'can you feel it', but still.. I wonder what he would have done if he appeared in the video?

Victory Tour 1984
This Really should have been the Setlist for the Victory Tour

1. Wanna Be Startin Somethin
2. Off The Wall
3. Human Nature
4. Torture
5. Be Not Always
6. Jacksons Victory Medley & Jermaines Medley( Marlon performs 'Body' Jermaine performs Lets Get Serious, Dynamite ,One more Chance (With Randy) & Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming (With MJ)
7. Jackson 5 Medley (I Want You Back/ The Love You Save/ ABC/ I'll Be There)
8. Rock With You
9. Wait
10. Workin Day & Night
11. Thriller
12. Beat It
13. Billie Jean
Encore
14. Don't Stop Till You Get Enough
15. State Of Shock

Notes
Off The Wall replaces 'Things I Do For You'
Torture replaces 'Heartbreak Hotel'
Be Not Always Replaces 'She's Out Of My Life'
Wait replaces 'Lovely One'
Don't Stop Till You Get Enough replaces 'Shake Your Body'

It's the biggest selling Jacksons album, I'd love to see the faces of people rushing to buy it after thriller and then finding out MJ only has 2 songs on it. If he contributed just 3 or 4 songs more it would have been a diamond seller. After thriller everybody wanted more MJ.

As for the victory tour setlist, I would have picked something entirely different.
It would be all 9 thriller tracks (sales would have been even higher) + some Jacksons songs. Calling it the victory tour was just a concession done to his brothers, especially since they did zero songs of the album.

Sorry not ‘medley’ I mean the other Jackson’s joust have their turn in performing there songs

So looking at my set list (above) what songs would of you replaced?

Also bare mind it is not just Michael on the tour so I think that Jackson’s should also of had their songs as we’ll ‘victory tour’

Jimmy99;4288523 said:
Sorry not ‘medley’ I mean the other Jackson’s just have their turn in performing their songs
As far as I know, only Jackie had a solo lead on The Jacksons albums before Victory on Wondering Who. Jermaine had some on the J5 albums and he had several solo albums by 1984. Jackie had a solo album in 1973, but Motown didn't do much promotion on it so didn't sell well or have any hits. Randy had a solo single in the late 1970s and the B-side is a duet with Janet. It didn't go anywhere either. So besides Mike & Jermaine, the others didn't really have any songs to do a solo part of the concert with. If they did Victory songs, then that would be 4 songs added for Tito, Randy, Jackie, & Marlon. The group performed Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin', that would take the place of Torture and it was a new song at the time. That and Dynamite were the most recent songs they did.

So looking at my set list (above) what songs would of you replaced?

Nothing I like your setlist. I'm all for the brothers getting more time to shine. They did this better in their 70s concerts. I never quite understood why you name your tour Victory or Triumph and then only play a handful of songs of the album you are promoting. Just play the whole damn thing and then at the end throw in a handful of hits to please the casual fans

Honestly I know but because mike was at odds with them that definitely played a part

I never quite understood why you name your tour Victory or Triumph and then only play a handful of songs of the album you are promoting. Just play the whole damn thing and then at the end throw in a handful of hits to please the casual fans

I agree with what you are saying. Take Dangerous Tour for example. Michael only played 4 songs from the Dangerous album in 92. For the 93 leg, he added an additional song. This means that he only performed 5/14 songs from the Dangerous album during the Dangerous tour.

One More Chance and Wait would have been great with me in my 18th row seat at Rich Stadium in Orchard Park, NY, thank you very much.

Victory tour concert needs to get an official release, yeah i always found it weird no songs from Victory were on the tour. (It's the closest thing to a Thriller tour, and weird how thriller was never performed)

No thriller, no state of shock, & definitely not 1 reason in the world not to perform torture if they did "tell me im not dreaming ". Baffling!

No thriller, no state of shock, & definitely not 1 reason in the world not to perform torture if they did "tell me im not dreaming ". Baffling!
I'm not sure about the Victory songs, but I remember reading at the time that Thriller wasn't performed because of the Jehovah's Witnesses. They had a problem with the video, that's why the disclaimer was put at the beginning of it. Mike wanted Thriller destroyed, but John Landis talked him out of it. Mick Jagger did perform State Of Shock with Tina Turner at Live Aid. I never understood why Mike & Jermaine did not participate in the music videos for the Victory singles.

I don't know if that's the reason for not performing it, but the Torture video also had an occult theme and maybe the song itself does too a little bit. So if Mike declined to perform Thriller because of the JWs, it makes sense that he did not want to do another song that they might find fault with. I don't think any of the other brothers were still JWs at the time, only Mike, Rebbie, & LaToya. I'm not sure about Janet. Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin' does not have that issue at all.

Yes the part you wrote about Thriller not being performed was spot on thats the real reason why it wasn't on the setlist, not the 'he didnt like how it sounded live' crap. there's a newspaper that actually explained why Thriller wasn't performed at the time

~Personal opinion~

Torture is not a good song, at ALL and from memory, doesn't feature Michael very prominently in the vocals. He wasn't even in the video for it (which is as creepy as hell btw), so I don't think he especially enjoyed performing it. There is more room for him to come in, on Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin' (like....BAM!) and make a greater impact on stage. It is a fairly weak song, as well, but better than Torture.

Yeah, what the hell was up with the Torture video? That creepy Phantom Of The Opera looking thing, the person wearing the silver mask, the eyeballs, the spiders. I love the song, but that video is just weird.

Back