The Estate vs HBO

I'm nervous too. Poor Michael had to face all this during his life-time.

I know! i'm starting to understand how it was for him. it's tiring and stessful. but hopefully we will have good news today. i really hope we will have good news today. Michael, his fans, and his family deserve good news today. please let it happen!

They better give us the result wanna hear.

I read on twitter both sides met in court yesterday and the judge wanted one day to decide. So we should have the decision today hopefully.

Makes sense, since this is a 3 day holiday weekend in America. Memorial Day is Monday. Folks usually either don't come to work on Friday and/or have an early dismissal.

Makes sense, since this is a 3 day holiday weekend in America. Memorial Day is Monday. Folks usually either don't come to work on Friday and/or have an early dismissal.
That is a city/State/county job. We are OFF Monday.:D

Well let's see Tuesday then. i'm still so nervous. we deserve to win this case. Michael deal with so much crap his whole life he deserve this. it's all for love.????

e28b777edb082a12467df6f8c8f8417e.jpg

The entire staff at the court rushed out for the holiday weekend lol!

We gotta remember to them, it's just a job.. They wait to go home too.. Even when we want them to give us info ;)

I got feeling we gonna win this. Michael been sending us alot of light already as we speak. keep on shining Michael.

@andjustice4some
Reminder: Today we should get a ruling from the judge on the MJ Estate's lawsuit against HBO. The judge will hopefully rule on whether arbitration should occur or not. Several fans and the media are trying to find out what the ruling is. Stay tuned. #MJInnocent

This is a bit crap. Denied and partially denied. Another hearing on 24th June...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en-gb"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Looks like #1 motion to remand to state court denied. #2 motion to compel arbitration partially denied, because Judge doesn't know if an arbitrator or Judge should hear the case. Next hearing 6/24/19. And we probably will not get a ruling that day. <a href="https://t.co/RRBs3f2SML">https://t.co/RRBs3f2SML</a></p>&mdash; andjustice4some (@andjustice4some) <a href="https://twitter.com/andjustice4some/status/1133539485461803008?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">29 May 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ARE YOU SERIOUS?! What are they doing? why is it taking so long? why a day before Michael passing? this is crazy i been up all day all morning here were i live and i stood up for nothing? this been going on since march and still nothing? i don't know how to feel about this. now i understand what Michael when though. this is bullcrap. i'm not giving up but there's better be a good outcome out of this. i'm serious. this is sick. this is disgusting. this is stupid. this everything wrong in the book. everybody who was apart of this crap all going to heck in hand basket for sure! nothing make sense in this world anymore! i'm am so peeded off right now. leave Michael alone. i pray for michael, us fans, and his family. i'm am so tired of this crap. i just can't anymore. :mat:

HBO NEED TO BE SUED! I"M SO DONE WITH THAT COMPANY! why won't they just leave Michael alone dude? this is all really sad. i don't know anymore man.

51aedd1a28d463beff94588f864ed0a1.jpg

Last edited:
i heard a hearing for it is sometime this month

Hmm, I wish I knew more about USA law. Reading about arbitration, I had thought that Kavanaugh (yep, that one) in his first ruling, had determined that the terms of the original contract determined who decided whether the matter was 'arbitrable'. Which in the Estate case, I had assumed was the arbitrator (any dispute... to be submitted for binding arbitration before a retired judge of the Supreme Court. The retired judge shall conduct the arbitration.).

BUT I don't think this (original HBO) contract explicitly states who shall decide if the matter is 'arbitrable'. (If it does, I con't see where it says this). We really need to see the Estate vs HBO transcript to know why these decisions were made. It looks rather 'finely balanced' for the Estate at the moment. I hope that the Court hearing on the 24th June doesn't decide that the case for arbitration is 'wholly groundless'.

I'm surprised that the fans in court were so upbeat on the first hearing at last week's decision, as the written decision mentions that a 'temporary decision' was discussed in court.

This is the recent ruling on 'arbitrability' that I was reading about:

Key Points
The Supreme Court held that, under the Federal Arbitration Act (FAA), courts must enforce arbitration contracts according to their terms, including provisions authorizing arbitrators to decide &#8220;gateway&#8221; questions of arbitrability.
The Court also held that there is no exception to this rule when a party contends that an arbitration demand is wholly groundless.

Background
Archer & White Sales, Inc., a dental equipment distributor, sued competitor Henry Schein, Inc., alleging violations of the Sherman Antitrust Act and various parallel state laws, and seeking monetary damages and injunctive relief.

Schein moved to compel arbitration. Archer opposed on the grounds that the arbitration agreement exempted actions seeking injunctive relief. Schein responded that the &#8220;main thrust&#8221; of the litigation was for monetary damages, so the matter was subject to arbitration.

The 5th Circuit&#8217;s Opinion
The question raised is one of &#8220;arbitrability&#8221;&#8212;Is the dispute subject to arbitration or not? The 5th Circuit applies a two-part test. The first step is to determine whether the parties had a clear and unmistakable agreement to arbitrate the claims at issue. If they did, then the motion to compel arbitration is granted in &#8220;almost all cases.&#8221; However, the second step is to determine whether the argument that the claim is arbitrable is &#8220;wholly groundless.&#8221; If it is, then the court should decide the question of arbitrability.

The Fifth Circuit found that the argument that the claim at issue was within the scope of the arbitration agreement was &#8220;wholly groundless,&#8221; so the court should decide arbitrability.

The U.S. Supreme Court&#8217;s Opinion
In a unanimous opinion written by Justice Kavanaugh (his first written opinion on the Court), the Supreme Court reversed. The Court reasoned, &#8220;We must interpret the [FAA] as written, and the [FAA] in turn requires that we interpret the contract as written. When the parties&#8217; contract delegates the arbitrability question to an arbitrator, a court may not override the contract.&#8221;

Archer made several arguments in favor of having courts deciding arbitrability&#8212;the Court rejected all of them:

First, Archer argued that courts should always decide &#8220;threshold&#8221; questions of arbitrability (never arbitrators). The Court found that that argument had already been rejected in Rent-A-Center, West, Inc. v. Jackson1 and First Options of Chicago, Inc. v. Kaplan.2

Second, Archer argued that §10 of the FAA&#8212;which provides for judicial review of an arbitrator&#8217;s decision if an arbitrator has &#8220;exceeded&#8221; his or her &#8220;powers&#8221;&#8212;supports the conclusion that the court should also be able to say that the underlying issue is not arbitrable at the outset. The Court found that this interpretation was inconsistent with the way Congress wrote the FAA and declined to &#8220;rewrite&#8221; it.

Third, Archer argued that it would be wasteful to send &#8220;wholly groundless&#8221; arbitration demands to arbitrators. However, the Court recognized that the FAA itself does not have a &#8220;wholly groundless&#8221; exception and declined to &#8220;engraft its own exceptions onto the statutory text.&#8221;

Finally, Archer argued that this exception is necessary to deter &#8220;wholly groundless&#8221; motions to compel arbitration. The Court rejected this policy argument, finding that it overstates the problem because arbitrators are capable of efficiently disposing of frivolous cases and deterring frivolous motions, including imposing fee-shifting and cost-shifting sanctions.
The Court remanded for determination of whether the contract, in fact, delegated issues of arbitrability to an arbitrator.

Conclusion
The lesson of Schein is that the terms of arbitration agreements matter. You must make it clear whether you want an arbitrator or court to decide an issue, including whether a dispute is arbitrable.

https://www.akingump.com/en/news-in...ts-can-control-who-decides-arbitrability.html

Last edited:
What the frick man!? Are they stalling proceedings just to agitate us? Cause I'm agitated.

HBO WINS FIRST ROUND IN MICHAEL JACKSON ESTATE&#8217;S &#8216;LEAVING NEVERLAND&#8217; LAWSUIT

A federal judge refuses to let an arbitrator determine jurisdiction in a controversy over whether the documentary disparaged the late pop singer.

The dispute over Leaving Neverland, HBO&#8217;s documentary will stay in open court for now. Following a hearing last week, a federal judge on Tuesday decided to reject a motion from the Michael Jackson Estate to immediately throw the case to an arbitrator.

The Michael Jackson Estate sued HBO shortly before Leaving Neverland premiered on March 3. The plaintiff alleges that the film constitutes a breach of a non-disparagement clause in a 27-year-old agreement, one that provided the pay network with rights to air a televised concert following the release of Jackson&#8217;s album, Dangerous. But the Michael Jackson Estate doesn&#8217;t actually wish to litigate in open court. Instead, Jackson&#8217;s heirs invoked an arbitration clause in that old deal and aimed to get a Los Angeles Superior Court judge to compel a showdown before the American Arbitration Association..

In response, HBO had the case removed from state to federal court in California. Characterizing the Michael Jackson Estate&#8217;s whole legal endeavor as a &#8220;transparent effort to bolster their publicity campaign against the documentary&#8221; by skirting legal precedent against posthumous defamation claims, HBO denied there was any enforceable agreement that hadn&#8217;t expired and actually covered Leaving Neverland. The AT&T subsidiary further argued that any over-reading of the 1992 contract would violate both its due process rights as well as the First Amendment.

From there, the parties fought a battle inside the larger legal war to resolve the question of where the dispute would be adjudicated. While the issue of forum may seem like a boring procedural issue, it has the potential of determining the entire case because if the arbitration provision is inoperable, so too likely are the confidentiality and non-disparagement clauses that provide the basis for claims by the Michael Jackson Estate.

HBO argued that under the Federal Arbitration Act, the federal judge had to decide the &#8220;gateway issues of validity and arbitrability.&#8221; Such analysis would turn, according to the network&#8217;s lawyers, on whether HBO clearly and unmistakably manifested an intent back in 1992 to have an arbitrator determine jurisdiction. HBO also brought up old rules (since amended) by the AAA with respect to the invocation of jurisdiction.

The Michael Jackson Estate framed such arguments as &#8220;classic tautology,&#8221; opining in a court brief that &#8220;it assumes the very conclusion that HBO wants an adjudicator to reach in this dispute, i.e., that there are no remaining obligations under the Agreement.&#8221;

U.S. District Court Judge George H. Wu doesn&#8217;t see clear and unmistakable evidence regarding arbitration. He&#8217;s both denied motions to remand the case back to state court as well as compel arbitration.

That represents an initial win for HBO.

That said, the judge is directing the parties to deliver supplemental briefing on the issue of arbitration. The next couple of months will have the two sides exploring the meaning of that 1992 deal. Wu then will come to a new decision about the prospect of arbitration. If HBO wins, it likely won&#8217;t have to even get into the issue of whether Leaving Neverland damaged Michael Jackson.

SOURCE: Hollywood Reporter

Lightbringer;4258980 said:
HBO WINS FIRST ROUND IN MICHAEL JACKSON ESTATE&#8217;S &#8216;LEAVING NEVERLAND&#8217; LAWSUIT

SOURCE: Hollywood Reporter

OH HECK NO!

<iframe src="https://gifer.com/embed/2SvV" width=480 height=383.333 frameBorder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://gifer.com"></a></p>

Back