How Close was He to Buying Marvel?

Gatesy2006

Proud Member
I've seen it mentioned every now and then that MJ wanted to buy Marvel, at a time in which they weren't the movie juggernaut they are now.

But how close was he to buying the company? Would it have changed the course of his history had he got his hands on it?

It would've made for an interesting timeline if he had been able to buy it, that's for sure. I think the MCU films would have still happened in some form since Michael wanted to get into film making.

Michael Jackson was very close to buying Marvel in the ‘90s.

He discussed very seriously that possibility along with Stan Lee, with whom Michael Jackson met personally on several occasions for that matter.

Their discussions were lengthy concerning that possibility.

Also, Michael Jackson was always fascinated with fictional superheroes and he was greatly interested in playing the Spider-Man character in particular.

As a matter of fact, he thought that he would achieve that (to play the Spider-Man character) if he bought Marvel.

An additional reason for Michael Jackson to buy Marvel was also that he wanted to help the company financially which at that time faced serious financial difficulties (and according to some reports, the company was even in danger of closure during that period).

mj_frenzy;4265253 said:

He discussed very seriously that possibility along with Stan Lee, with whom Michael Jackson met personally on several occasions for that matter.

Also, Michael Jackson was always fascinated with fictional superheroes and he was greatly interested in playing the Spider-Man character in particular.

As a matter of fact, he thought that he would achieve that (to play the Spider-Man character) if he bought Marvel.

An additional reason for Michael Jackson to buy Marvel was also that he wanted to help the company financially which at that time faced serious financial difficulties (and according to some reports, the company was even in danger of closure during that period).

Kinda hard to imagine Michael as Spidey as he would've been too old for the character.

Now if he had lived long enough to see Into the Spider-Verse get made, then he could've played one of the alternate Spider-Men in that movie.

Spider-Man

Kinda hard to imagine Michael as Spidey as he would've been too old for the character.

Hard to imagine him as Edgar Allan Poe too. :rofl: There was no Miles Morales back then, and I don't see how he could play Peter Parker at any age. There was a Japanese Spider-Man in the 1970s, but he wasn't Peter, and there were none of the other characters from the American Spider-Man. He had the name Takuya Yamashiro.

Re: Spider-Man

Hard to imagine him as Edgar Allan Poe too. :rofl: There was no Miles Morales back then, and I don't see how he could play Peter Parker at any age. There was a Japanese Spider-Man in the 1970s, but he wasn't Peter, and there were none of the other characters from the American Spider-Man. He had the name Takuya Yamashiro.

Ah yes, gotta love tokusatsu. :D

Into the Spider-Verse did feature an older Peter Parker from a different universe, so MAYBE Michael could have voiced him. There was also a "film noir" Spider-Man in that movie that he could've voiced, but if that happened we would've missed out on Nicholas Cage playing that character lol.

Ah yes, gotta love tokusatsu. :D

Into the Spider-Verse did feature an older Peter Parker from a different universe, so MAYBE Michael could have voiced him. There was also a "film noir" Spider-Man in that movie that he could've voiced, but if that happened we would've missed out on Nicholas Cage playing that character lol.
But I thought Mike wanted to do a live action version, not a cartoon voice. It seems unlikely that a movie studio would have done a theatrical animated Spider-Man at the time anyway. Cartoon superhero movies were either shown on TV or went straight to video. That's still mostly the case, especially if it's traditional hand drawings rather than Shrek style computer animation.

Is there a direct source for that claim? I have seen this been reguritated since forever without a single proof. Just because he wanted to buy Marvel doesn't mean he wanted to play spiderman in a live action movie. I call B.S on this, as i have always done.

Maybe Michael could of played spiderman. i don't judge people. it's depends on how he wanted to do it. they said Michael was very healthy for his age. maybe he could played an older version of him? either that maybe voice him? Michael was very good at voices.

mj_frenzy;4265253 said:

Stan Lee said he wasn't sure, he just suspected that he wanted to play Spiderman.

Mr Lee, a veteran comic book writer and the brains behind the Fantastic Four, X-Men, Hulk, Daredevil and many others, made the revelation during the annual San Diego Comic-Con on Friday.
"I had been to his place in Neverland. He wanted to do Spider-Man," he said.
"I'm not sure whether he just wanted to produce it or wanted to play the role. Our conversation never got that far along."
Asked if he thought Jackson would have taken the title role, Mr Lee replied: "I suspect so."
"He thought I'd be the one who could get him the rights (to make a Spider-Man movie), and I told him I couldn't," he added.
"He would have to go to the Marvel company. But we did become friendly, and he was a great guy."
Jackson - who died on June 25 aged 50 - was planning to buy comic publisher Marvel jointly with Stan Lee in the late 1990s, but the deal fell through.
"We had met a number of times. In fact, he (Jackson) came to my house once with his son, and I remember my wife took care of his son for about an hour while Michael and I were talking," said Mr Lee.
"He was quite a good father. He was very solicitous, and he cared very much for the boy."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture...kson-planned-to-star-in-Spider-Man-movie.html

Maybe Michael could of played spiderman. i don't judge people. it's depends on how he wanted to do it. they said Michael was very healthy for his age. maybe he could played an older version of him? either that maybe voice him? Michael was very good at voices.

Michael wasn't a very good actor. I'm glad that he didn't buy Marvel. We wouldn't have MCU if he had bought it.

Everyone has their own opinions but he was good actor to me. watch the wiz and moonwalker (need to do a review on when i get a chance). his acting was good. he just didn't act enough which sucks.

But I thought Mike wanted to do a live action version, not a cartoon voice. It seems unlikely that a movie studio would have done a theatrical animated Spider-Man at the time anyway. Cartoon superhero movies were either shown on TV or went straight to video. That's still mostly the case, especially if it's traditional hand drawings rather than Shrek style computer animation.

At the time, sure. I meant if Michael was still alive and lived long enough to see Into the Spider-Verse get made, he could've played Spider-Man (well, one of them anyway) in that movie.

At the time, sure. I meant if Michael was still alive and lived long enough to see Into the Spider-Verse get made, he could've played Spider-Man (well, one of them anyway) in that movie.
Other than The Wiz, I don't see any evidence of Mike pursuing an acting career. The Wiz is a musical. So not much different from what he was already doing. The J5 didn't do the voices on their cartoon, but The Osmonds did for theirs. Janet started out in acting on TV before she made a record, and did a few non-music related movies later on. Even Marlon acted in a B-movie called Student Confidential. What I've noticed is that some rappers (Fresh Prince, Queen Latifah, Ice Cube, Ice T, LL Cool J) have been accepted as actors by the general public in a way pop & rock singers like Madonna, Mick Jagger, Prince, Bob Dylan, Ringo Starr, & Sting couldn't do. Even when Elvis Presley movies were box office hits, he was mostly making the same movie over & over with a different setting (because that's what Colonel Parker had him do). I don't think people were going to see Elvis movies because of the plots, but to see him sing a few songs.

Sorry to say... But MJ as Spiderman would have been a joke...

He was many things, but not a action hero.

I don't judge people. we don't know what mike could of done. he always surprise us on many things he did. everyone has their own opinions.

DuranDuran;4265390 said:
Other than The Wiz, I don't see any evidence of Mike pursuing an acting career. The Wiz is a musical. So not much different from what he was already doing. The J5 didn't do the voices on their cartoon, but The Osmonds did for theirs. Janet started out in acting on TV before she made a record, and did a few non-music related movies later on. Even Marlon acted in a B-movie called Student Confidential. What I've noticed is that some rappers (Fresh Prince, Queen Latifah, Ice Cube, Ice T, LL Cool J) have been accepted as actors by the general public in a way pop & rock singers like Madonna, Mick Jagger, Prince, Bob Dylan, Ringo Starr, & Sting couldn't do. Even when Elvis Presley movies were box office hits, he was mostly making the same movie over & over with a different setting (because that's what Colonel Parker had him do). I don't think people were going to see Elvis movies because of the plots, but to see him sing a few songs.

Michael wanted to play Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars Episode 1:
https://www.rollingstone.com/movies...ted-to-play-jar-jar-binks-in-star-wars-56736/

Ahmed Best, who voiced and provided motion capture for the Binks character, explained Jackson’s interest in an interview with Vice.

“Me, Natalie Portman and George [Lucas]’s kids – we were at Wembley arena at Michael Jackson’s concert,” Best said. “We were taken backstage, and we met Michael. There was Michael and Lisa Marie [Presley]. George introduced me as ‘Jar Jar,’ and I was like, ‘That’s kind of weird.’ Michael was like, ‘Oh. OK.’ I thought, ‘What is going on? After Michael had driven off, we all go back up to a big after-party. I’m having a drink with George, and I said, ‘Why did you introduce me as Jar Jar?’ He said, ‘Well, Michael wanted to do the part, but he wanted to do it in prosthetics and makeup like Thriller. George wanted to do it in CGI. My guess is ultimately Michael Jackson would have been bigger than the movie, and I don’t think he wanted that.”

I'm so grateful that Michael never played Jar Jar Binks. Can you imagine all the cruel jokes? He really dodged a bazooka with that one

Back