Is MJ a Socially Aware Black Artist to You or Not Really?

Re: is MJ a Socially aware Black Artist or not to you?

Here's one of my favorite socially aware songs of all time:

Inner City Blues
(M. Gaye, Jr./J. Nyx, Jr.)

Rockets, moonshots
Spending on the have-nots
Money, we make it
Before we see it, you take it
Ah make me wanna holler, the way they do my life
Make me wanna holler, the way they do my life
This ain't living, this ain't living
Nah, nah baby this ain't living, no, no, no, no

Inflation, no chance
To increase finance
Bills pile up sky high
Send that boy off to die
Oh make me wanna holler
The way they do my life
Make me wanna holler
The way they do my life

(Scatting)

Hang-ups, let downs
Bad breaks, setbacks
Natural fact is, oh honey, that I can't pay my taxes
Oh make me wanna holler and throw up both my hands
Yeah, make me wanna holler and throw up both my hands

Aow!
Crime is increasing
Trigger-happy policing
Panic is spreading
God knows where we're heading

Ah baby, it make me wanna holler
They don't understand
Yeah, it make me wanna holler
They don't understand

(Scatting; musical interlude)

Mother, mother
Everybody thinks we're wrong
Who are they to judge us
Simply 'cause we wear our hair long

(C)1971 Motown Records, LP

Last edited:

well i was watching a youtube video the other day where Oprah was asking him about the changing of his skin color, and when he first told everyone about his vitiligo. He said point blank I am a black American. I am proud to be a black American. I am proud of my heritage. He did put it out there like that. Not simply not excluding it, but saying where he stood on it. He was also squashing other rumours that were being put out there at the time trying to make him seem as if he was trying to be something other than what he was. He went on record saying that was all bogus and there was no truth to it.

As for being a socially aware black artist, he is both socially aware and a black artist. He has to sing about his hair to be considered so? He has raised a lot of awareness on Africa, the world in general and the issues of all people, child abuse, poverty, TDCAU that is about what? I think he is being about as blunt as possibly can be in that song.

I'm not even going into the whole perceptions thing on eccentric or whatever. I don't see how any of that has to do one way or the other about whether he is socially aware. Michael is a messenger, and delivers messages absolutely on social issues in his music. I dont see how anyone could challenge that.

Are any of us 'socially aware' ?? When was the last time we did something for our respective communities ??

Socially aware in what sense ?? How do any of us define socially aware ?? What exactly is the criteria ??

I consider myself 'socially aware' ... the things I do, that allow me to feel worthy of that description, may not be things that any of you do. Any of you, that feel you are 'socially aware' may do things, that I do not. That does not make you or I, 'socially UNaware'.

To make an argument or discussion on such a matter, it might help to define some parameters of what it means to be, 'Socially Aware'. Otherwise, we are just talking around one another's differing opinions or expectations of others.

And in all honesty, this is one of the singers Mike learned vocal techniques (and how to write serious lyrics) from:

Living for the City
(S. Wonder)

A boy is born in hard-time Mississippi
Surrounded by four walls that ain't so pretty
His parents give him love and affection
To keep him strong, moving in the right direction
Living just enough, just enough for the city

His father works somedays for fourteen hours
And you can bet he barely makes a dollar
His mother goes to scrub the floors for many
And you can best believe she hardly gets a penny

(Scatting)

His sister's black but she is sho nuff pretty
Her skirt is shrot but Lord her legs are sturdy
To walk to school, she's gotta get up early
Her clothes are old but never are they dirty

Her brother's smart, he's got more sense than many
His patience's long but soon he won't have any
To find a job is like a haystack needle
Because where he lives, they "don't use colored people"

(Scatting)

Living just enough for the city (15X)

(Spoken dialogue: the man arrives from Mississippi to New York City and ends up getting mistaken for a drug dealer who hands him some cocaine and is arrested by the cops later sentenced to ten years for prison despite his not guilty plea; the song takes him out of jail and into homelessness)

His hair is long
His feet are hard and gritty
He spends his life walking the streets of New York City
He's almost dead from breathing in air pollution
He tried to vote but to him there's no solution living just enough
Just enough for the city

I know you hear inside my voice of sorrow
And that it motivates you to live a better tomorrow
This place is cruel, the world couldn't be much colder
If we don't change, the world would soon be over
Living just enough, stop giving just enough for the city

(Scatting and harmonizing to the end...)

(C)1973 Black Bull Music, Co.

Last edited:

Heh, I don't know about you (I think all things considered the words "socially aware" are a tricky thing) but this thread is giving me the excuses to post social commentary. :lol: :D

I think Mike's socially aware because he sings it in his songs that do have awareness in them. But I hate getting into "arguments" about it.

Being socially aware shouldnt have to do with skin color
everyone needs to be socially aware in some aspect
regardless of race, religion and or creed.
all the mish mosh in between is just hogwash
its sort of judgmental to say the least...
sort of a damned if you dont or damned if you do thang?

Last edited:

u do realize that even MANY fans don't realize insurance paid the family? there was NO WAY insurance would have paid UNLESS feldman changed the allegations to simple negligence. please don't think it was anything smart or savvy on mj's part...it was all feldman.
I did not say MJ"s savvyness had anything to do with it. I'm saying that Feldman did the ONLY sensible thing TO DO since MJ was completely innocent, he wanted the nightmare to go away and all that family wanted in the first place was MONEY and when they got it they were happy as two chia pets in the jungle.

and yes, they saw him as a pedophile b/c this is the same man who went on PTL and said he would continue the sleep overs...the same guy who continued to be seen w/ kids (mainly the cascios) and the same dude who they felt was eccentric.
Eccentrcity is not pedophelia and no they did not because nobody came flying out of the woodwork to try and charge him for what he said on PTL or for hanging out with kids.

no one here is holding on the pedophile notion...
i can't tell

it's just how he was seen.
by... oh ok....YOU and a few others here i guess

believe what u want but if reality and common sense are present, then parts of ur argument are just faulty.

he's socially aware but doesn't throw it out there like 'im proud to be black' cuz um...he doesn't exude it. u got india arie singing about her hair and the struggles black folks have been through just b/c of it, akon singing about and embracing africa, and common and mos def uplifting us and mike's singing about the break of dawn.

Michael comes from a world of idealism. You know this. Although his deepest roots are in the African American culture he GREW UP in a WHITE AFFLUENT culture AND a Jewish community. His only wish has ever and always been that there is no such thing as racism. As someone not black pointed out: "the focus on race is what creates racism."

Maybe Michael was placed in such a multi-cultural setting in his life so that he could demonstrate that.

Every artists contribution is valid - including Michael's. They are not all meant to be the same.

Some black artists express specific frustrations with the black experience and many don't. Does Whitney Houston sing about black hair? Are her fans ragging her about it? I dunno, maybe you don't either. I"m just asking. Did Luther Vandross keep his fist in the air on his songs? Do his die hard fans take away from his contribution because he didn't? Just asking.

yes, the save the world songs that appear on every album might inspire but it doesn't resonate w/ me.....the line he sang in '2300 j st.' when he said he'd always find his way back home....kind of wishful thinking or song filler imo.
'Home' is where the heart is. Michael's heart has always been with his family. I see no delimma there. From what I heard from the people of Gary, he is always so full of pride when he's there and is so relaxed, they say, like a whole 'nother Michael Jackson - completely down to earth, relaxed and at home.

well ok :lol:

Also, I don't know how y'all think Michael could have been awarded by an African Embassy in 2004 if he'd been doing nothing for African people all this time. He even went further and decided to meet with congress. Now you will tell me this doesn't 'count' because... (something) I suppose - what - because he was going through the trial and wanted the support of black people all of a sudden because without it he would have.....................................................WHAT.

http://www.kaisernetwork.org/daily_reports/rep_index.cfm?hint=1&DR_ID=22984

Speaking of Stevie Wonder, oh and political candidates - - while we're dong song lyrics that express 'awareness' let me point out this song which was the first such song Michael and his brothers showed up on from the 70s ...

but before we get to those...I have a question.

In Michael's song, "They" Don't Care About Us - who do you suppose the "THEY" was..?..and who do you suppose the "US" was?

Here's Stevie and the J-5 joint:

We are amazed but not amused by
all the things you say
That you'll do. Though much
concerned but not involved
With decisions that are made by you.

But we are sick and tired of hearing your song
Tellin' how you are gonna
change right from wrong
'Cause if you really want to hear our views:
You haven't done nothin'

It's not to cool to be ridiculed
but you brought this up
On yourself. The world is tired of pacifiers
We want the truth and nothing else
yeah.

And we are sick and tired of hearing your song

Jackson five
join along with me
Sing: Doo doo wab
Hey hey hey
Doo doo wab waw waw waw waw doo doo dab
Naw naw naw doo doo wab
go go go
Doo doo wab bum bum bum doo doo wab

He would not care to wake up to the night-mare
That's becomin' real life
but when mislead
Who knows a person's mind can turn
as cold as ice - um hum

Why do you keep on makin' us hear your song

Tellin' us how you are changin right from wrong
'Cause if your really want to hear our views:
You haven't done nothin'
yeah.

Doo doo wab waw waw waw doo doo dab

Save the Children
(R. Benson/A. Cleveland/M. Gaye, Jr.)

I just wanna ask a question
Who really cares to save a world in despair?
Who really cares?

There'll come a time
When the world won't be singing
Flowers won't grow
And the bells won't be ringing
Who really cares
Who is willing to try to save a world
That is destined to die?

When I look at the world
It fills me with sorrow
Children today will really suffer tomorrow
Oh what a shame
Such a bad way to live
Who is to blame when we can't stop living?

Live, live, live for life
But let live everybody
Live life for the children, ah, for the children
Oh (let's save the children, let's save all the children)

Save the babies
Save the babies
And if you wanna love, you got to
Save the babies
Save the babies
All of the children...

But who really cares
Who's willing to try, yeah
To save a world
Yeah, save our sweet world
To save a world that is destined to die

Ah, oh, la-la-la-la, la-la-la
Oh, ah, dig it everybody...

(C)1971 Motown Record Company, LP

Heh, I don't know about you (I think all things considered the words "socially aware" are a tricky thing) but this thread is giving me the excuses to post social commentary. :lol: :D
:lol: and song lyrics but its all good! Gave me an excuse to post mine.

I think Mike's socially aware because he sings it in his songs that do have awareness in them. But I hate getting into "arguments" about it.
well, I don't mind disagreements - I think it lends some buzz to a discussion board - don't worry Timmy - we're not tryin to hurt eachother, I promise ;) :D :lol: (sweet lullo thing, worryin bout fighting breaking out :lol: )

Last edited:

Save the Children
(R. Benson/A. Cleveland/M. Gaye, Jr.)

I just wanna ask a question
Who really cares to save a world in despair?
Who really cares?

There'll come a time
When the world won't be singing
Flowers won't grow
And the bells won't be ringing
Who really cares
Who is willing to try to save a world
That is destined to die?

When I look at the world
It fills me with sorrow
Children today will really suffer tomorrow
Oh what a shame
Such a bad way to live
Who is to blame when we can't stop living?

Live, live, live for life
But let live everybody
Live life for the children, ah, for the children
Oh (let's save the children, let's save all the children)

Save the babies
Save the babies
And if you wanna love, you got to
Save the babies
Save the babies
All of the children...

But who really cares
Who's willing to try, yeah
To save a world
Yeah, save our sweet world
To save a world that is destined to die

Ah, oh, la-la-la-la, la-la-la
Oh, ah, dig it everybody...

(C)1971 Motown Record Company, LP

Thank you for these! And this is what MJ grew up on. Two of his Motown mentors did it - it was emblazened into his consciousness. The Commondores followed suit with Zoom and Sweet Love (and nobody's ragging on them for not having their fist up in the air all the daggone time either) and other groups of the day sang about "saving the world" - after this song came out. Great choice. Great song!!

Troubleman I meant you no disrespect by saying (sweet) lullo thing - I know you're a full grown man, just sweet and kind - I'm from the South, please excuse me.

so-so I mean you none if I seem to imply you think of him as that - its just that sometimes to me you do, and/or I'm not clear where you're coming from - on the other hand - I understand your anger and frustration that somebody as amazing as MJ isn't carrying your personal torch.

Michael Jackson, being the high achiever that he is and setting standards in the music industry is all that I need for black awareness. I need nothing else. Him standing tall and strong amidst the darts and the disadvantage, him refusing to bow and to give up, that is inspiring for me and should be for everyone no matter what coluor they are, It would be a shame if a black person doesn't get inspred by Michael Jackson, but that is there loss. MJ inspres me to reach for my dream. Thanks MJ. I do not need to see someone shouting black power to be inspred by them.

Last edited:

you don't like getting into arguments... but you love to argue ;) admit it.

Anyone's level of social awareness, the action(non-action) one takes with regard to that awareness ... comes down to is your own personal situation. If all you have to offer is time, you volunteer in your community. Or you are vocal to anyone who will listen, you educate those around you ... casting a light on situations that may not be widely known & enlisting those individuals to help champion your cause.

Some may have extra money to donate to social organizations. Others may hold a position, that affords them the strength of those that back them in their endeavors. People with this status, often influence their colleages, friends and other people around them to follow their lead.

Michael is in a category all his own. He holds the power to influence people in the global community. His donations are far reaching ... call it social awareness or just plain charity to the world...

Think of it this way, if he had the money that he had donated over the years to UNCF and make a wish foundation alone, he could pay off neverland's mortgage or close to it. He may have never needed to mortgage it in the first place, had he not been soo giving.

Socially aware ... hell to the yeah !!

Last edited:

fans will always see what they choose to see. if a man was accused, and the world was told he paid to make it go away, there were rumors of other payoffs and then u hear him say he still has sleep overs....and this is in '95...wht the hell else do people think? just b/c YOU don't feel that way doesn't mean america isn't being told he's a creepy man who does things to children.

whatever is whatever does....feldman did what was best for his client...and for himself, if only cochran had done the same.

u got white folks donating to africa. does that mean they can get an award too? seems like africa wasn't even important until white celebs started going there and doing charity...like what we did before didn't count. but the minute bono and angie go, it's a big deal.

I think the world had pretty much forgotten about the allegations of 93 in 2001 until the new sh!t hit the fan in after the Bashir interview 2003.
Sorry a bit ot but I had to say it.

quote]by 2001 the world thought of him as a pedophile

No, you took the words right out of my mouth; its the truth - The world did not think of him as a pedophile in 2001. That was the whole probelem. The plan had failed! The purpose of having the INSURANCE cover that matter was served in terms of removing that mess from public consciousness and so did his 'other' PR moves - by 2001 Michael had moved on and so did the world.[/quote]

You're kidding, right? No one forgot about 93 in 2001; I rediscovered MJ at that time and thats all I would hear about in the AOL message boards when I was surfing the internet for anything and everything MJ. I didn't know the scrutiny the public had for him was that severe or deep...and being in adolescence back in the early 90s, I had no idea what they were saying because I hadn't known what was going on at the time. All I remember was Michael giving a statement in a video, frantic and scared and I felt sorry for him even though I had no idea what he was talking about.

Last edited:
Louis Farrakhan

tumblr_pvevtz1Pep1rw606ko1_640.jpg
tumblr_pvevtz1Pep1rw606ko2_250.jpg

I would say he was. he loved his race and culture and he would speak out about it. but he also loved all people. i would say he was and still is a socially aware artist. one thing about Michael was he put everyone together not just his race and culture.

I think the reason why people think he wasn't socially black artist because the media make it seem he didn't like his race or culture. which is not true.

i'm African-American and most people i know who's also African-American look up to MJ. so yes.

I think the reason why people think he wasn't socially black artist because the media make it seem he didn't like his race or culture. which is not true.
I don't think it was just the media. Back in the 1980s, some black people considered artists like Mike, Lionel Richie, Prince, & Whitney Houston as selling out to crossover to the white audience. Whitney was even booed at the Soul Train Awards one year. That's also why people were surprised she married Bobby Brown, who was seen as as having a more "street" image. Also it could be that some wanted black performers to make Public Enemy & X Clan style protest songs. It was the same criticism earlier performers such as Sammy Davis Jr, Louis Armstrong, Nat King Cole, & Johnny Mathis got during their era.

It is a fallacy to believe that Michael Jackson did not like his race or his culture.

I will bring up a very characteristic example: just take a look at his female leading ladies (in his music videos).

Michael Jackson chose mostly black ladies for his music videos to co-star with him.

Ola Ray (‘Thriller’), Naomi Campbell (‘In The Closet’), Iman (‘Remember The Time’), Kishaya Dudley (‘You Rock My World’) etc.

Also, Michael Jackson’s music aimed at all people, regardless of their race, ethnicity, or culture.

He wanted to get clearly that message across, so he decided to conclude his HIStory Tour by performing in South Africa in front of South African audiences, a place known for the big racial and ethnic diversity of its people.

mj_frenzy;4268921 said:
I will bring up a very characteristic example: just take a look at his female leading ladies (in his music videos).

Michael Jackson chose mostly black ladies for his music videos to co-star with him.

Ola Ray (‘Thriller’), Naomi Campbell (‘In The Closet’), Iman (‘Remember The Time’), Kishaya Dudley (‘You Rock My World’) etc.
That is true. But he was mostly seen in his personal life with Brooke Shields, Tatum O' Neal, Lisa Marie Presley, Elizabeth Taylor, & other white women. At least that's what was shown in the mainstream media.

mj_frenzy;4268921 said:
Also, Michael Jackson’s music aimed at all people, regardless of their race, ethnicity, or culture.
That's how he was promoted. There's many black artists who didn't get the mainstream promotion. It wasn't because their music was different from Mike's. The labels only promoted them to the R&B stations & audiences. Just like black acts who made rock music didn't get the same amount of promotion as white rock acts. They weren't heard on the rock radio stations other than maybe Jimi Hendrix and he was oldies. Very few women rock performers got on AOR radio too. They didn't sell like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, or Ozzy Osbourne.

Why does it matter? This post is beyond me!
This kind of attitude is one of the reasons all the MAGA white supremacists came out in the open (in the USA) with the election of Donald Trump. The idea of "let's ignore race, it doesn't matter, there's only the human race" does not work and probably comes from people in which their race/ethnicity does not affect their everyday life.

While race don't matter when it comes to somethings. it does matter with somethings. that's why Michael messages were to love another. things what's going on in other places then just America. heal the world. save the children. peace of earth. save the earth.

even when Michael gave interviews to black publications such as 'jet' in the late 70's, he always spoke of global unity. the idea that we are all one family wherever we come from. he was well travelled at a young age, and wanted to combine the best of what he had seen. the jacksons peacock logo was about integrating all colours into one. these beliefs were a part of his Jehovah's witness upbringing, and was also reflected in a multitude of songs. his diverse audience is evidence of this message. sadly, there's been an effort to erase all of this since his death, and use select moments to further a particular agenda. one that he wasn't around to witness.

yes, Michael spoke on black issues, but he wasn't a separatist.

yes, Michael spoke on black issues, but he wasn't a separatist.
So you're saying speaking about black issues or being Afrocentric automatically means being segregated? Soul Train didn't only have black performers & dancers on it although they were the main focus because many black artists did not get featured on the white music shows of the time. Public Enemy has toured with Anthrax and PE has a large white audience. Duran Duran remade 911 is A Joke.

Michael did speak up about this stuff. a lot of times. after all he was born in the late 50's. he was around the civil rights era and everything. Michael message was about being one. we all a family. yes he care about his race and culture. but also cared about other people and cultures too. Michael loved his race and culture.

Back