This Is It 10th Anniversary Boxset

let's see what happens in 2022 for Bad. good lord! i can't believe it been that long. time sure do files.

i don't think they can do that either. i know each bad tour had something different in it but releasing the same tour over and over again probably won't work but what do i know fans probably would buy all the bad tours if they did release them all. i think i probably would. especially if it's for limited of time.

i do want see more BAD stuff and tours. i hope we get some in the future and before we all leave this earth.
I don't see why not... they release a greatest hits album every year with the same songs on them

Since we're talking a bit about BAD & it's next Anniv. in 2022(Album turns 35 in Aug. 31st, tour turns 35 in Sept. 12) I was thinking back to something Mr. Branca said in the "BAD 25" documentary. He mentions the idea he presented to Michael during his visit in Hong Kong in Oct. of 1987, an album of Cover songs.

I honestly feel like this would be a really good idea for the Estate, since there goal is to get more & more people to listen to Michael, they can attract new people with songs they already recognize. It's unsure how many covers Michael did in his whole solo career (Smile, Come Together, & Hot Fun In The Summertime are a few that come to mind), but this could be a good collaborative effort with the Motown folks, which Michael & his brothers have done multiple covers for ("Yesterday" by The Beatles, "Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin" by Sly & The Family Stone, "Reach Out and Touch Somebody's Hand" by Diana Ross are a few I know of)

Last edited:
Bad turning 30 in 2022? you sure? i think it will be turning 35 because BAD25 came out in 2012 i think.... i'm not good with math so.

yes Michael did a lot of covers. i didn't know he did fun in the summertime. lol. that's so cool. i love his come together cover that one had my head bobbing.

would love to hear more of his covers. they sound interesting.

A lot of people talking about Bad turning 35 in 2022. I really don’t want Bad 35. Instead, I want Thriller 40 in 2022.

Nite Line;4273149 said:
A lot of people talking about Bad turning 35 in 2022. I really don’t want Bad 35. Instead, I want Thriller 40 in 2022.

Neither are landmarks you really celebrate though. HIStory 25 makes sense, Dangerous 25 absolutely should've happened and was a huge failure on the Estate's behalf to not do anything for it.

While i want Bad35 and thriller 40 we also need history25 (which we probably won't get) and dangerous 30. i'm not even an fan of those two albums but if Bad and thriller gonna get releases so should the others. it isn't fair.

Was it recorded for thriller/bad?

it was recorded either for Invincible or after the album, I know the Xscape Version was made in the style of the JT LNFSG (They had a 2nd vocalist in there, can't recall whom) because the song was vocally incomplete, might explain why it missed the album, other than the oversaturation of Invincible songs on the album (from what I recall)

There are a lot of off-topic posts in this thread. Can we please steer the conversation back to the 10th Anniversary This Is It Box Set? Otherwise there isn't really any point in having the thread here, in the first place.

Well since we are talking This is it they should have released the live recordings. It was said they had enough for a double album. I recall hearing this. I’m not sure if it was studio recordings or rehearsal recordings.

he even re-recorded SIM for TII.

does anybody have the source of who said that? i can't find it anymore... afaik it was said on some radio interview.

It was Michael Prince in some special podcast (100th Episode or smth like that)

If MJ really did go to the studio and re-recorded the songs for TII - they should NO doubt be released...

I can't believe - and can not understand - why they are not already released back then as a TII live album...

If MJ really did go to the studio and re-recorded the songs for TII - they should NO doubt be released...

I can't believe - and can not understand - why they are not already released back then as a TII live album...

Yep, or why they weren't used in the film

Can we have a poll or something on this? I'd love to know who's pre-ordered this set, who intends to order and who isn't interested.

Can we have a poll or something on this? I'd love to know who's pre-ordered this set, who intends to order and who isn't interested.

Feel free to start one, Chris!

Seldervi;4273032 said:
Since we're talking a bit about BAD & it's next Anniv. in 2022(Album turns 35 in Aug. 31st, tour turns 35 in Sept. 12) I was thinking back to something Mr. Branca said in the "BAD 25" documentary. He mentions the idea he presented to Michael during his visit in Hong Kong in Oct. of 1987, an album of Cover songs.

I honestly feel like this would be a really good idea for the Estate, since there goal is to get more & more people to listen to Michael, they can attract new people with songs they already recognize. It's unsure how many covers Michael did in his whole solo career (Smile, Come Together, & Hot Fun In The Summertime are a few that come to mind), but this could be a good collaborative effort with the Motown folks, which Michael & his brothers have done multiple covers for ("Yesterday" by The Beatles, "Thank You Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin" by Sly & The Family Stone, "Reach Out and Touch Somebody's Hand" by Diana Ross are a few I know of)

John Branca was actually joking when he mentioned in 1987 that idea of a cover album to Michael Jackson while they were in Hong Kong.

It was never meant to be a serious idea, and Michael Jackson also immediately rejected that particular idea that he heard from John Branca's mouth in 1987.

Also, there have been no serious discussions from the Estate about considering releasing a cover album, for two main reasons.

The first reason is that there are very few unheard covers that Michael Jackson recorded in his solo career that in no way can fill a possible, cover album.

Even those unheard covers that he allegedly recorded, they have yet to be confirmed by a reliable source.

The second reason is that the Estate knows that a cover album although it might attract new people to his music, yet such an album cannot really attract the attention of Michael Jackson’s fans who are the ones who bring the largest profits for the Estate (because his fans constitute the biggest part of the overall buying demand, when it comes to Michael Jackson's future releases).

he even re-recorded SIM for TII.

does anybody have the source of who said that? i can't find it anymore... afaik it was said on some radio interview.

He said he started recording that and WBSS and then he decided to use playback instead so I doubt they are complete recordings.

It's a shame estate and $ony didn't give for a fans something unreleased and worth to this box. This "box" is too expensive, damn.

On the topic of potential covers. Sly Stone's catalog was purchased by the MJ estate today. They now own the rights to Hot Fun In The Summertime etc.

Sly Stone Catalog’s U.S. Rights Acquired by Michael Jackson Estate http://bit.ly/2NCtov3
mj_frenzy;4273579 said:
John Branca was actually joking when he mentioned in 1987 that idea of a cover album to Michael Jackson while they were in Hong Kong.

It was never meant to be a serious idea, and Michael Jackson also immediately rejected that particular idea that he heard from John Branca's mouth in 1987.

Also, there have been no serious discussions from the Estate about considering releasing a cover album, for two main reasons.

The first reason is that there are very few unheard covers that Michael Jackson recorded in his solo career that in no way can fill a possible, cover album.

Even those unheard covers that he allegedly recorded, they have yet to be confirmed by a reliable source.

The second reason is that the Estate knows that a cover album although it might attract new people to his music, yet such an album cannot really attract the attention of Michael Jackson’s fans who are the ones who bring the largest profits for the Estate (because his fans constitute the biggest part of the overall buying demand, when it comes to Michael Jackson's future releases).

It was a no from me. Made me feel weird and it was high priced which is expected but iguess The book would be the only thing i would probably purchase if it was separate from the rest of the items.
That blue thing freaked me out for ages. I didn't like it.

If they released the book as a stand alone release - at a fair price - maybe €20 - that would be interesting, but this expensive set...

No way I am gonna buy it.

Hess;4274079 said:
If they released the book as a stand alone release - at a fair price - maybe €20 - that would be interesting, but this expensive set...

No way I am gonna buy it.

Not gonna happen. Physical books sell way less than physical music these days. You know the Estate, if it ain't gonna make em big cash they won't release anything.

Hulkamaniac;4274085 said:
Physical books sell way less than physical music these days.

Not really. :)

Example USA 2018:

CD sales: 52 million units
https://www.statista.com/chart/12950/cd-sales-in-the-us/

Vinyl sales: 16.8 million units
https://www.statista.com/chart/7699/lp-sales-in-the-united-states/

That’s 68.8 million CDs and vinyl records combined.

Print book sales, on the other hand …

“675 million print books were sold last year in the U.S. alone”
https://www.statista.com/topics/1177/book-market/

So, there is a market for print books. :)

You must be fun at parties

You get my point, MJ is not for everyone.

Wait, let me correct myself: On these days, This Is It is not for everyone.

Last edited:
Back