Royal Brunei 1996 Bad Tour Version

Electro;4281489 said:
If she herself came up with the date, it's still a little strange though. She got to photograph MICHAEL JACKSON in BRUNEI and gets the decade wrong?
But I guess it depends on how long she worked for Michael (not over a decade I guess?), how much of a Michael geek she was (it takes a bit to make the BAD connection with this photo) and how much she actually knew about what was planned / going on.

I’m still not sold on the assumption that this picture was taken in Brunei. If you google the photographer’s name along with MJ, only this one photo comes up, and nowhere does it say Brunei in the description. Here’s the official description from the auction page for this print:

Michael Jackson, 1987 Photography by Nicola Goode
Your bid supported: City Hearts: Kids Say Yes to the Arts

Donated by: Nicola Goode

Artist: Nicola Goode
Title: Michael Jackson
Year created: 1987
Medium: photography
Edition: 8 of 15
Height (inches): 16
Width (inches): 20
This piece is framed

Description of piece: Archival Digital Print on Fiber Paper from Scanned Black and White Negative - Nicola Goode was hired to shoot behind the scenes for a Michael Jackson project that ultimately was never released. During a break in the action she captured this moment as he was signing an autograph on the set.

Artist bio: A Los Angeles based artist and photographer, Nicola Goode has worked on set stills for films, television and documentary projects around the world. A member of the International Cinematographers Guild, her work can be found in print, public and private collections as well as galleries throughout the country. Most recently she curated and created photo installations at Mack Sennet Studios in Hollywood and has exhibited in Switzerland at Photo Basel during Art Basel, 2015.

Source: https://www.charitybuzz.com/catalog_items/michael-jackson-1987-photography-by-nicola-goode-912343

Maybe the year 1987 is just an error in the auction listing, and everyone copied it from there? Could it be as simple as a typo, and it’s actually 1997? And we’re looking at some kind of behind the scenes photo of a documentary that never materialized? Just speculating here, of course.

ScreenOrigami;4281492 said:
Maybe the year 1987 is just an error in the auction listing, and everyone copied it from there? Could it be as simple as a typo, and it’s actually 1997? And we’re looking at some kind of behind the scenes photo of a documentary that never materialized? Just speculating here, of course.

But then why this live stage type of headset microphone. This is what makes it likely to be backstage at a concert or concert rehearsals. Hmm

Electro;4281493 said:
But then why this live stage type of headset microphone. This is what makes it likely to be backstage at a concert or concert rehearsals. Hmm

Yep. Without more info it’s hard to tell. Maybe another video along the lines of the HIStory trailer? Or a tour documentary?

This appears to be the photographer, by the way. Absolutely someone I can image being around MJ. :)

Nicola-Goode.jpg

Source: http://nicolagoodephotography.com/about/biography/

EDIT: And in that context, it makes sense that she donated the print to a kids charity auction.

If she herself came up with the date, it's still a little strange though. She got to photograph MICHAEL JACKSON in BRUNEI and gets the decade wrong?
But I guess it depends on how long she worked for Michael (not over a decade I guess?), how much of a Michael geek she was (it takes a bit to make the BAD connection with this photo) and how much she actually knew about what was planned / going on.

Not sure what you mean... going by the sideburns, the Bad-Jacket photo can perfectly be 1996.

Michael about two months later in Prague:

hqdefault.jpg

As a man I can tell you that those sideburns grow like beard within a week or two, if they are not shaved. :)
They certainly are not part of a wig / hair piece Michael might have worn at that time.
Im a guy & i know! & i never said it wasn't 96. I said it was. & the reason i went by sideburns is because every year they were different. & the photo you posted they are shorter. Again i say 96.

ScreenOrigami;4281492 said:
I’m still not sold on the assumption that this picture was taken in Brunei. If you google the photographer’s name along with MJ, only this one photo comes up, and nowhere does it say Brunei in the description. Here’s the official description from the auction page for this print:

Michael Jackson, 1987 Photography by Nicola Goode
Your bid supported: City Hearts: Kids Say Yes to the Arts

Donated by: Nicola Goode

Artist: Nicola Goode
Title: Michael Jackson
Year created: 1987
Medium: photography
Edition: 8 of 15
Height (inches): 16
Width (inches): 20
This piece is framed

Description of piece: Archival Digital Print on Fiber Paper from Scanned Black and White Negative - Nicola Goode was hired to shoot behind the scenes for a Michael Jackson project that ultimately was never released. During a break in the action she captured this moment as he was signing an autograph on the set.

Artist bio: A Los Angeles based artist and photographer, Nicola Goode has worked on set stills for films, television and documentary projects around the world. A member of the International Cinematographers Guild, her work can be found in print, public and private collections as well as galleries throughout the country. Most recently she curated and created photo installations at Mack Sennet Studios in Hollywood and has exhibited in Switzerland at Photo Basel during Art Basel, 2015.

Source: https://www.charitybuzz.com/catalog_items/michael-jackson-1987-photography-by-nicola-goode-912343

Well we ALL know for sure it's definitely NOT 87!

Im a guy & i know! & i never said it wasn't 96. I said it was. & the reason i went by sideburns is because every year they were different. & the photo you posted they are shorter. Again i say 96.

Sorry, I misread.

Last edited:
wonderouzmj;4281512 said:
Well we ALL know for sure it's definitely NOT 87!

Absolutely, but that wasn’t my point. :) I was trying to figure out why it was dated 1987, and I think the simple explanation could be a typo in the auction listing: 1987 instead of 1997. All credible info we have about this picture comes from that page. Everything else is speculation.

ScreenOrigami;4281519 said:
Absolutely, but that wasn’t my point. :) I was trying to figure out why it was dated 1987, and I think the simple explanation could be a typo in the auction listing: 1987 instead of 1997. All credible info we have about this picture comes from that page. Everything else is speculation.
I hate to be so biased but i dont think it was 97 either. I really think this was 96 but then again....idk BUT that goes to show people how much mj didnt change. Its getting hard for us to determine eras in music & photos now. Insane!

wonderouzmj;4281521 said:
I hate to be so biased but i dont think it was 97 either. I really think this was 96 but then again....idk BUT that goes to show people how much mj didnt change. Its getting hard for us to determine eras in music & photos now. Insane!

Honestly, the only reason I’m guessing 1997 now is my theory with the typo. 1997 --> 1987 can be a typo, 1996 --> 1987 would be a stretch. :D

It wouldn't be 1987 at all because Michael was wearing make up during that time. so i'm guessing somewhere between 1990/1991.

Back