Confirmed HIStory Tour release for 2021?

Just for argument’s sake, the Bad and Dangerous tours have already had home video releases. The HIStory tour has not. It makes sense to release a show from Michael’s third and final solo world tour. Though I’m hoping for a non-Munich show.

Snek;4284121 said:
Just for argument’s sake, the Bad and Dangerous tours have already had home video releases. The HIStory tour has not. It makes sense to release a show from Michael’s third and final solo world tour. Though I’m hoping for a non-Munich show.
True, but Victory tour would be perfect to package with thriller 4k. It would sell more tbh. Mainstream knows/focuses more on that era anyway. History should get a doc though. If OTW doc didnt include a destiny/Triumph show then I dont expect History to get one imo.

Anna;4284114 said:
It's not unreasonable to expect a singer — especially one of Michael's caliber — to actually sing.

And many of us here don't expect a show to be 100% live. We all praise the Dangerous Tour and songs were lip synced on that tour too, but it still had enough live singing to make up for that.

Anna;4284114 said:
It's not unreasonable to expect a singer — especially one of Michael's caliber — to actually sing.

It is when you consider the context and his health issues.

Question then asked, is if he should've been on tour in the first place.

Snek;4284121 said:

BAD Tour has been released in VHS quality. And while I don't mind it and find it watchable, I still think we deserve better than what we got. Even if it's a HQ DVD.

This guy had a channel called ''Michael Jackson Remastered Videos'' where he pretty much posted every concert that has leaked over the years. He had around 139k subscribers and his channel got deleted on December 24th 2019 because of copyright strikes on some HIStory Tour shows. Obviously this can mean nothing....but it can also mean that the Estate is planning on releasing something related to the HIStory Tour this year or next year.
Anyway...he explains it in this video (at around 2:12 he talks about the HIStory Tour videos):

If they release this then I hope they add extra material like rehearsals. Full songs and not just short clips in some documentary.

This guy had a channel called ''Michael Jackson Remastered Videos'' where he pretty much posted every concert that has leaked over the years. He had around 139k subscribers and his channel got deleted on December 24th 2019 because of copyright strikes on some HIStory Tour shows. Obviously this can mean nothing....but it can also mean that the Estate is planning on releasing something related to the HIStory Tour this year or next year.
Anyway...he explains it in this video (at around 2:12 he talks about the HIStory Tour videos):

I think they got taken down because the history tour is mostly playback or "studio version" as the youtube algorithm picks up. If I posted nothing but history tour the same thing would happen.

Because I feel we all need reminding, Branca said no HIStory tour release.

Could be completely unrelated, but today I noticed that for the first time 2 concert audios were on the Michael Jackson YouTube channel. Yokohama 1987 and Auckland 1996.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mYFTWh37hJ6XOJxuODSf3i4KsPKGFaRS4

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kFUTAtUdOTYPt0iQ_f1WxXMqlayrTQoMM

These were uploaded some time ago but have only just now being watchable for me at least. You can tell that these playlists were unlisted because of the low view counts on each video.

I wonder if the estate is doing anything with these audios.

Those are bootlegs CDs which you could find in Amazon some years ago so it's weird to see them uploaded to his official channel.

Hulkamaniac;4284272 said:
Those are bootlegs CDs which you could find in Amazon some years ago so it's weird to see them uploaded to his official channel.

Both playlists “updated 4 days ago.” I would love to see a release of either of these concerts in a higher quality.

Could be completely unrelated, but today I noticed that for the first time 2 concert audios were on the Michael Jackson YouTube channel. Yokohama 1987 and Auckland 1996.

These were uploaded some time ago but have only just now being watchable for me at least. You can tell that these playlists were unlisted because of the low view counts on each video.

The playlists are still not viewable for me at least.

Snek;4284270 said:

Interesting. Those Auckland 1996 videos say in the description:

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard Enterprises

Billie Jean (Live at the Ericsson Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand 1996) · Michael Jackson

Auckland 1996 (Live)

℗ 2016 Zip City

Released on: 2016-04-29

Auto-generated by YouTube.

It looks like those weren't uploaded by the channel. They were auto-generated by Youtube for some reason.

Interesting. Those Auckland 1996 videos say in the description:

It looks like those weren't uploaded by the channel. They were auto-generated by Youtube for some reason.

The Orchard is a digital music aggregator service by Sony.
They distribute music by all sorts of record labels (incl. Sony Music) to all the different download and streaming platforms.

YouTube nowadays also is sort of a streaming platform like Spotify (through "YouTube Red" etc), so all content that gets to YouTube this way (via aggregator) has that "Auto-generated by YouTube." info. Usually those uploads are on auto-generated channels with "topic" in the name, "Artist X - topic", and the videos always miss the artist name.

It's strange that it landed on the official MJ channel like this. And that this bootleg label (Zip City) is auto-credited, which means that it was provided to The Orchard by them. It's as if this happened by accident and Sony doesn't even know about it, or just tolerate it because they claimed the content and get all the money from video plays monetization anyway.

Or the Zip City label actually has some sort of official license for this release, and so it's not a bootleg. Hmm..

Are these live albums also in download shops and other streaming platforms or just on YouTube?

Last edited:
I didn't mean that he took the piss by lip-syncing. I meant that he took the piss by not making his lip-syncing look less blatant.

But I agree with what you are saying. I think MJ had to change his style. Like you said, he just wasn't capable of doing singing and dancing at that level anymore, so I think perhaps he needed to start to focus more on singing and less on dancing as he got older. I know that would have been hard for him, as he had danced his entire life, but some changes had to be made.
The thing about that is, any casual fan going to a concert would expect to see him dance. Ultimately he had to make a compromise.

In his later tours lip syncing was pretty much unavoidable, because some of the songs had very complex dance routines, and it would be difficult to focus on those dance moves while trying to sing at the same time. A good example I can think of is the song Dangerous. Then there's songs like Jam and Smooth Criminal that are already hard to sing even without all the dancing that goes with them.

So I understand that some songs need to be lip synced, but lip syncing an entire concert with the exception of only 2 songs is going way too far.

Last edited:
It seems like this thread is getting a bit heated. I have something that will maybe challenge you guys’s thoughts about this. As a casual listener of TheMJCast, Kevin Dorsey, MJ’s vocal director who was backup singer for all 3 tours, did a recent interview where they asked him about lip syncing. And I think what he had to say was very interesting. He’s certainly the most qualified out of all of us to judge. It’s around the 1:25:45 mark where the “lip-syncing” segment starts.
http://www.themjcast.com/episode-115-kevin-dorsey-special/

If they do release the history tour. fans are gonna be the ones to buy it. I mean even if the tour wasn't all that good fans still buy anything Michael. let's just be honest. one thing I like about the history tour is that it shows Michael was human. let's put it with that.

though Michael has haters. so even if a good tour was release there still gonna be people saying bad things about him anyway.

while it's hurts as fans we need to realize that Michael has haters and don't let it always get to us.

In his later tours lip syncing was pretty much unavoidable, because some of the songs had very complex dance routines, and it would be difficult to focus on those dance moves while trying to sing at the same time. A good example I can think of is the song Dangerous. Then there's songs like Jam and Smooth Criminal that are already hard to sing even without all the dancing that goes with them.

So I understand that some songs need to be lip synced, but lip syncing an entire concert with the exception of only 2 songs is going way too far.
Exactly. I can accept the playback on the dangerous tour because of what you said. Jam and Smooth criminal are big performances dance wise. YANA, Stranger in Moscow, Heal the world, History etc should of been live.

Robbsaber01;4284715 said:
Exactly. I can accept the playback on the dangerous tour because of what you said. Jam and Smooth criminal are big performances dance wise. YANA, Stranger in Moscow, Heal the world, History etc should of been live.
Yeah, but think about the numbers that come before those songs, for example, there is the History medley and Wanna Be Startin Somethin right before Stranger in Moscow, and if you watch the concerts back, he doesn’t take a break to breathe for very long and imagine how much it takes out of you to do those previous two numbers back to back.

Hudson112;4284722 said:
Yeah, but think about the numbers that come before those songs, for example, there is the History medley and Wanna Be Startin Somethin right before Stranger in Moscow, and if you watch the concerts back, he doesn’t take a break to breathe for very long and imagine how much it takes out of you to do those previous two numbers back to back.

I really wish MJ dropped WBSS from the History Tour. It had gone stale live by then and Michael sounded terrible singing it live during the History Tour. Instead, he should have performed SIM straight after the opening medley and he could have sung it live.

Nite Line;4284725 said:
I really wish MJ dropped WBSS from the History Tour. It had gone stale live by then and Michael sounded terrible singing it live during the History Tour. Instead, he should have performed SIM straight after the opening medley and he could have sung it live.
I guess it would be more likely that he would have sung SIM live if WBSS was taken out. Especially when you consider not only the two back to back big dance numbers, but the fact that one of them is actually sung live with varying degrees of quality, I don’t think his vocals would have sounded good afterwards on SIM.

This would be my History tour setlist

1. Childhood
2. Stranger in Moscow
3. Scream
4. This Time Around
5. They Don't Care About Us
6. Motown Medley I want you back-ABC- Never can Say Goodbye
7. Billie Jean
8. The Way You Make Me Feel
9. Bad
10. Earth Song
11. Heal the World
12. You Are Not Alone
13. Black Or White
14. Dangerous
15. Little Susie
16. Smile

I wish he would have dropped or changed the J5 medley. He could have performed One Day In Your Life instead of I'll Be There

Hudson112;4284730 said:
I guess it would be more likely that he would have sung SIM live if WBSS was taken out. Especially when you consider not only the two back to back big dance numbers, but the fact that one of them is actually sung live with varying degrees of quality, I don’t think his vocals would have sounded good afterwards on SIM.

I think his vocals on SIM would have sounded a whole lot better than they did during WBSS. During the History Tour, I think he sounded alright/sometimes good during the J5 medley and the ad-libs at the end of YANA and HTW. He sounded terrible during WBSS, however. So, I am of the impression that he didn't sound so terrible when he did slowish songs during the History Tour, but terrible during WBSS, which is a fast tempo song. So, I think he would have sounded decent had he sung SIM live, as that's a slow tempo song.

I wish he would have dropped or changed the J5 medley. He could have performed One Day In Your Life instead of I'll Be There

Exactly. If there is one criticism I have of MJ is that he was very rigid with his set list. Always the same songs and never doing a surprise one off song at one particular concert. Imagine if there was a Bad Tour where he performed Liberian Girl live, we all be dying for that concert to be released.

This would be my History tour setlist

1. Childhood
2. Stranger in Moscow
3. Scream
4. This Time Around
5. They Don't Care About Us
6. Motown Medley I want you back-ABC- Never can Say Goodbye
7. Billie Jean
8. The Way You Make Me Feel
9. Bad
10. Earth Song
11. Heal the World
12. You Are Not Alone
13. Black Or White
14. Dangerous
15. Little Susie
16. Smile

Nice set list but this is mine:

1. Scream / ITC / Jam Medley
2. They Don't Care About Us (full song)
3. Stranger in Moscow
4. Smooth Criminal
5. You Are Not Alone
6. The Way You Make Me Feel
7. Motown Medley (Ben, Music & Me & One Day In Your Life)
8. Don't Stop Till You Get Enough
9. Billie Jean
10. Thriller
11. Give In To Me. Enough of Beat It live. It got really boring after the Bad Tour.
12. Childhood / Little Susie / Smile Medley
13. Dangerous
14. Black or White
15. Earth Song
16. History
17. Man In The Mirror. You can't have a MJ concert without MITM closing off the show.

You can't have a MJ concert without MITM closing off the show.

This is so true. The first time that I watched a History tour on TV I really was expecting MITM as the final song. I couldn't believe that it ended with History.

Back