I have something i need to get off my chest with fans trying to make everything about Michael.

Thriller_MJ

Proud Member
Ok, i am sure we are all aware at this stage what happened to George Floyd in America. We all know Michael was somewhat rather out-spoken about how black people are treated and targetted by cops, especially in America. However, what i have a huge gripe with is when fans try to make it about Michael. I don't think it's a good look. The same thing happened when Kobe Bryant died earlier this year I don't understand this need to constantly drag Michael into these things and try and make it about him. Michael would probably be outraged at what happened to George Floyd if he was still with us, but to constantly try and make these horrible murders about Michael just doesn't sit well with me. Rant over :laughing:

I guess it depends what it is you're referring to that you've seen.

I have seen fans of other artists do that as well. They always try to bring their favourite into every discussion. It's not exclusive to just Michael Jackson fans.

TDCAU has been popular with the Black Lives Matter movement for a long time now, so it’s just natural that people post the video in the context of recent events. It’s not really meant to be about MJ when they do that. Music can be great emotional support.

Nite Line;4291669 said:
I have seen fans of other artists do that as well. They always try to bring their favourite into every discussion. It's not exclusive to just Michael Jackson fans.

Exactly. Prince fans did the same thing with Kobe. They did it with Little Richard, also. Some people need to stop acting as if everything that is done is exclusive to Michael. Other artists’ fans bring their favorites into the discussions, also.

Thriller_MJ;4291628 said:
Ok, i am sure we are all aware at this stage what happened to George Floyd in America. We all know Michael was somewhat rather out-spoken about how black people are treated and targetted by cops, especially in America. However, what i have a huge gripe with is when fans try to make it about Michael. I don't think it's a good look. The same thing happened when Kobe Bryant died earlier this year I don't understand this need to constantly drag Michael into these things and try and make it about him. Michael would probably be outraged at what happened to George Floyd if he was still with us, but to constantly try and make these horrible murders about Michael just doesn't sit well with me. Rant over :laughing:

I’m onTwitter a lot and fans are not making these murders about Michael. They are relating his music, his beliefs and his conscience to what is happening. Michael’s music does that. FTR, Prince fans do the same thing. They tried to relate him to Kobe and Little Richard’s deaths. They were scrambling trying to find a connection, photos of these men with Prince. They are also try to relate his music to anything that is happening in the news.Stop acting as if this only happens with Michael. Michael fans are just more vocal on Twitter. It doesn’t mean that other artists’ fans aren’t doing the same thing on other platforms. Rant over!

MJ also didn’t create his songs only for people to listen to them on their home stereos while ironing their shirts. Songs like TDCAU are meant to be out in the streets. That’s why he got in trouble with the censorship brigade all the time. ;)

Thriller_MJ;4291628 said:

The uncut, prison music video of ‘They Don't Care About Us’ shows snippets of such police brutality that are very similar to that of the George Floyd’s murder by police officers.

So, there is nothing strange about the fact that many of Michael Jackson’s fans on Twitter try to make the George Floyd’s murder about Michael Jackson.

Also, Madonna played a role in that.

Madonna posted (on her Twitter account) a video of her black son David Banda dancing to Michael Jackson's ‘They Don't Care About Us’ song, a song that condemns police brutality especially towards black American people.

She even created and posted hash tags with Michael Jackson’s name in relation to that murder.

So, her Twitter move also gave rise to many Michael Jackson’s fans on Twitter to make George Floyd’s murder about Michael Jackson.

mj_frenzy;4291698 said:
The uncut, prison music video of ‘They Don't Care About Us’ shows snippets of such police brutality that are very similar to that of the George Floyd’s murder by police officers.

So, there is nothing strange about the fact that many of Michael Jackson’s fans on Twitter try to make the George Floyd’s murder about Michael Jackson.

Also, Madonna played a role in that.

Madonna posted (on her Twitter account) a video of her black son David Banda dancing to Michael Jackson's ‘They Don't Care About Us’ song, a song that condemns police brutality especially towards black American people.

She even created and posted hash tags with Michael Jackson’s name in relation to that murder.

So, her Twitter move also gave rise to many Michael Jackson’s fans on Twitter to make George Floyd’s murder about Michael Jackson.

She's also getting serious abuse for it. Plus, the usual "child molester" crap to go along with it.

Twitter has more toxic waste than a nuclear power plant. It is a creation that exposed just how awful and stupid humanity is

While I agree some fans do make everything about Michael sometimes. what happen a few days ago with George Floyd does help with Michael music. Michael was known for healing the world, racism, injustice, etc. that was apart of his messages. what happen to George Floyd was murder and an act of racism I hope he and his family get justice.

this guy didn't do anything and he was killed for no reason what so ever. #justiceforgeorgefloyd

Last edited:
Michael got trouble for TDCAU because what he said offended his Jewish fans. not because it had to do with injustice, racism, etc.

For me it's not about hijacking a situation to promote an artist...but one cannot isolate these circumstances either. They have a context.

Michael Jackson is part of that context.

Michael got trouble for TDCAU because what he said offended his Jewish fans. not because it had to do with injustice, racism, etc.

The Prison version of the film was practically banned from US TV in favor of the (from a US American point of view) less explicit Brazil version.

The Prison version of the film was practically banned from US TV in favor of the (from a US American point of view) less explicit Brazil version.

I don't think it was actively banned in the UK, I remember it being shown late night on VH1 on only one occasion that I know of. The Brazil version was the go to version here.

I don't think it was actively banned in the UK, I remember it being shown late night on VH1 on only one occasion that I know of. The Brazil version was the go to version here.

Yep, I think I remember seeing it on German TV on a few occasions, too. Most notably, VIVA showed it after the 2005 verdict. But the Brazil version was definitely the one that was shown most of the time.

This is what I meant by “emotional support”: Madonna’s son David, dancing through injustice, anger and pain

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Queen <a href="https://twitter.com/Madonna?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@madonna</a> just posted this on her Instagram. Her son David, dancing through injustice, anger and pain &#10084;&#65039; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/JusticeForGeorgeFloyd?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#JusticeForGeorgeFloyd</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TheyDontCareAboutUs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TheyDontCareAboutUs</a> <a href="https://t.co/05p8IFbyWV">pic.twitter.com/05p8IFbyWV</a></p>&mdash; santikapowski &#65533;&#65533;&#65039;*&#65533;&#65533; (@santikapowski) <a href="https://twitter.com/santikapowski/status/1266080574483152897?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 28, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I really wish this song wasn&#8217;t as relevant anymore, but not much seems to have changed in all those years.

ScreenOrigami;4291764 said:
I really wish this song wasn&#8217;t as relevant anymore, but not much seems to have changed in all those years.

it ain't never gonna change until someone do something about it.

Well there's making it about Michael and then there's associating Michael to it with things like TDCAU. I don't think there's anything wrong with the latter. Songs like TDCAU, or Killing In The Name by Rage Against The Machine as another example, are empowering, motivating, and cathartic in such dark times.

ScreenOrigami;4291671 said:
TDCAU has been popular with the Black Lives Matter movement for a long time now, so it’s just natural that people post the video in the context of recent events. It’s not really meant to be about MJ when they do that. Music can be great emotional support.

Anna;4291820 said:
Well there's making it about Michael and then there's associating Michael to it with things like TDCAU. I don't think there's anything wrong with the latter. Songs like TDCAU, or Killing In The Name by Rage Against The Machine as another example, are empowering, motivating, and cathartic in such dark times.

Plus, it's not just fans who turn to TDCAU in times like this, or posted or even covered Heal The World/Earth Song during the last months.

Back