HIStory 25 [MERGED]

43kdff.jpg

I made an alternative T-shirt design. :laughing:

(It’s just a joke, their stuff is not that bad, just a little underwhelming. ;) )

The BAD25 doc was pretty insightful and this is how MJ should be remembered, for the craft of making music, how songs were orchestrated etc.

I agree with you. i love Bad25. i feel bad25 is what they worked on the hardest. everything else is eh.

Hopefully we’ll get a HIStory documentary at some point. I understand they can’t do it now, with the lawsuits still going on, because you can’t tell the complete story without talking about the allegations.

history was release june 1995. I think the allegations was somewhat over then until 2003 I think. so even if they did do a history doc they really wouldn't have to put all of that in the doc though, if it was a dangerous doc yeah. they probably would have to.

but I agree that you can make a doc without talking about the lies etc.

whatever we don't like it or not, this will always be apart of Michael life. yeah it's sad but hey, you can't not erase history (no pun).

At this stage, all I want from anniversaries are documentaries, not unreleased songs, half finished songs, remixe no t-shirts or any of that kind of material. The BAD25 doc was pretty insightful and this is how MJ should be remembered, for the craft of making music, how songs were orchestrated etc.

I'm torn on documentaries.

On the one hand, Bad 25 is excellent (albeit poorly focused at times) and gave us some jaw-dropping footage. On the other hand, Journey from Motown to Off the Wall is (in my opinion) the single worst thing the Estate has ever put out.

For me, it all depends on who is at the helm. If they ask Spike Lee back, he needs to do a better job.

I'm all for anniversaries but it comes a time when they will get old. my guess the reason the estate not giving us much is because there not much left. so my guess they waiting for a big anniversary. thriller turning 40 in the next few years. so we might get something for it.

I hope so i'm actually looking forward to that one.

Last edited:
history was release june 1995. I think the allegations was somewhat over then until 2003 I think. so even if they did do a history doc they really wouldn't have to put all of that in the doc though

Umm, but a good chunk of that album is about the events in 1993/94? How to tell the story without going into that?

On the other hand, Journey from Motown to Off the Wall is (in my opinion) the single worst thing the Estate has ever put out.

For me, it all depends on who is at the helm. If they ask Spike Lee back, he needs to do a better job.

i haven't seen the off the wall doc. i might check it out in the future.

NatureCriminal7896;4292092 said:
there ways without going fully in to it.

MJ decided to end D.S. with a gunshot. How would anyone go about explaining this without telling the full story? :D

This is some really angry stuff there, and leaving out parts of the motivation behind the album wouldn’t paint the full picture, in my opinion. It wouldn’t be the documentary I’d expect to see.

it's probably would be best not to do one if fans don't wanna hear about the lies. I think that why we don't have any docs after Bad because we all know what happens next. :\

in my opinion maybe it's best not to do any docs after bad. that's only if fans want to hear about the lies. which for me i really don't. so yeah. :\

I don’t think the anniversaries need to celebrated anymore unless they change the approach on what they are presenting. History25 only works if you have new content. Drop the greatest hits package release book 2 with the new tracks from history. Book 2 consists of demo’s of the already released content and with a few tracks that were left over. High quality concert dvd. Skip the documentary for now maybe release footage of MJ recording TDCAU.HD release of the videos from that era. Done deal!

Yet again, the greediness rises.

For those who need a reminder:

• Sony and the Estate are businesses. Like it or not, no business on the planet will invest time and money into a product they feel won't generate a financial return, no matter how much money the business is worth.
  • Bad 25 was a commercial disappointment, despite having a larger promotional cycle than any reissue I can think of (e.g., a Pepsi sponsorship, a Spike Lee documentary broadcast on ABC, a two-hour BET special, a single reprint). If a reissue of one of Michael's most commercially successful and culturally influential albums failed, why on Earth would those involved do anything even obscurely resembling it for HIStory, which doesn't hold 1/5 the societal impact or popularity?
  • Michael Jackson was not Prince. He did not leave behind a trove of completed material or worthwhile demos; nearly everybody with insider knowledge has confirmed as much. The day will inevitably come when the Estate has nothing left to offer. I would much rather that day take place decades into the future, rather than immediately.
  • Die-hard fans are only a fraction of the overall population. The Estate cannot cater to us because we alone cannot sustain a project that the general public has no interest in.
  • Not only is the Estate currently in a $100 million legal battle with HBO, they are also facing another round of Robson/Safechuck civil trials and the prospect of a Leaving Neverland sequel, given that Dan Reed will be filming the proceedings.
  • By definition, an "estate" serves the purpose of, among other things, preserving an artist's legacy and protecting their personal and financial assets. Over the last ten years, Michael's Estate paid off nearly $400 in debt, generated $2 billion in revenue, topped Forbes's list of highest earning dead celebrities ten out of the last eleven years (seven of which were consecutive), and introduced multiple projects (e.g., the Cirque tour, the Vegas residency, the Broadway show) that will keep his legacy alive. The Estate was NOT established to give fans new music whenever they so desired. They are not obligated to give us ANYTHING. Obviously they are not immune from criticism, but the idea that they SHOULD do something simply because we want them to is ludicrous and selfish.
(I'm sounding like a broken record, I know.)

I love HIStory just as much as everyone here. I would love to see a full rollout for it, and I'm not crazy over the merch either. However, I'm still baffled by the constant whining and complaining over the Estate's refusal to waste money on a small fraction of Michael's overall fan base by emptying his vault whenever we so desire.

People on other sides often mention Prince's Estate because they release so frequently, even though said releases have been on par with the Estate's in many cases.

Relax.

Well said.

I find it really annoying when fans expect anniversary editions for every album. You still have fans harping on about Dangerous 25 under every tweet posted by the Estate. It is really annoying and it's obvious that these fans don't really understand how a business works or how the music industry operates.

Normally, anniversary editions are reserved for albums that had a significant impact on pop culture. For Michael, those albums would be Thriller, Off The Wall and Bad (to an extent). Despite the commercial success of both Dangerous and History, they had very little impact on pop culture. That is why other than the hardcore MJ fans which are very few in number, vast majority of people are only really aware of the existence of Thriller, OTW and Bad.

It is silly to expect an anniversary edition for every album, especially when they are likely to flop. Like you said, Bad 25 was a big commercial disappointment, despite the heavy promotion by the Estate. If Bad 25 was such a flop, what hope is there was Dangerous 25 or History 25?

These greedy fans need to stop demanding Dangerous 25/30 and History 25. That just won't happen. The next anniversary edition will be Thriller 50 and that will be a success, because it's Thriller.

In my opinion I see nothing wrong fans want something for dangerous and history. i mean why not? you did it to the other albums. so hopefully one day they will do something for both albums. it don't have to be over the top in my opinion. just something. i mean come on. the estate mostly worry about Michael 3 albums. off the wall, thriller, and bad. this is great for me because i honestly love those albums. :D

while i'm not a big fan of dangerous and history i do like songs from the albums. i agree with everyone in this thread that we need more things for these albums. it don't have be anniversaries albums but something.

I mean look at all the people before Michael. they all had anniversaries and still to this day rerelease albums. and most of them aren't with us anymore.

look at elvis they do it with him all the time and Prince estate has been kicking MJ estate butt lately. most MJ fans going to Prince site to buy stuff (if their a fan also) because it's way more better than MJ site and that's sad.

not saying Prince is bad (no pun) or anything just Michael is the king. you except the estate would be better then this. very very very sad for one of best artists out there.

I heard once his kids turn 25 they can run the estate. I don't know if that's true or not. but I really hope one day they will and make the estate way better then it is now.

I find it funny how people say Bad25 flop. lol! I see old fans and new fans on youtube unboxing it and talking about it etc so I guess that just opinion. :laughing:

Last edited:
I also find it funny how people say dangeruous and history flopped. LOL! dangerous and history never flopped. it seem the estate is worry about late 70's and 80's Michael then 90's Michael which I do find unfair.

but I can understand why they focusing on more late 70's and 80's Michael because major people know him and he was on top during those eras.

let's be real 90's mike was when the fake lies came out so I guess they like we don't want to remind people about it. which is understandable.

either way dangerous and history never flopped.

Prince estate has been kicking MJ estate butt lately.

See, I've seen this assertion time and time again over the last few years, and I just don't see it.

No doubt that the Prince Estate is more proactive than Michael's, but that is in part due to the overwhelming mass of material Prince left behind; in comparison, Michael left behind very little. But in terms of quality, I would honestly say that the Prince Estate has been at best on par with the MJ Estate.

Look at the most recent 1999 reissue. Two discs of new music? Awesome. But the concert DVD looked worse than Wembley 1988. Or 4ever, the compilation album that forced fans to buy 39 previously-released songs to get their hands on one song that had leaked years earlier.

Of course, I'm biased because I don't like Prince. But I just can't get behind the idea that his Estate is doing anything overwhelmingly great.

I'm a causal prince fan but not a big fan of him. in my opinion his estate has been out doing Michael estate. with the fact Michael left very little it does kind of sucks. but I think that because one somethings michael had is not with him but other places and two Michael pass away almost 11 years ago while prince pass 4/5 years ago?

so of course Prince gonna have more things coming out on then Michael. i'm not sure how much stuff Prince has but I know he has alot.

so shoutout to Prince working hard over the years. while Michael is our "king" we can't not say Prince wasn't great either. two great legends with awesome talents.

it bothers me when fans compare Michael to Prince because they were both legends whatever we like one of them or both.

prince will go down in history with Michael. not to mention the fact they were black artists as well. so yeah. (y)

With everything going on in the US right now a very smart move by the Estate would be to re-release TDCAU singles - and restore both musicvideos into 4K.

TDCAU should be a song used at those demonstrations it it honestly the most fitting song ever.

It is such a disaster that black people have not gotten better rights since the release of HIStory... It was terrible back in 1995 - but it has not improved in 2020... How on earth can that be? - And I do not think it is only in the US black people are being mistreated - but the US has a very bad history with slaves etc. - so I think it's worse there.

TDCAU needs to be trending and the Estate could help it with a re-release and 4K videos of both videos - especially the prison version.

Racism is everywhere not just the USA. yes it very sad. i'm really starting to feel racism is in blood. yes it can be teach too but for this to keep going on yeah, i think it's something do with genes. not saying it is but it feels like it. so sad. :cry:

shoutout to everyone who fighting for justice right now. god bless and thank you.

Yep I agree re release "THEY DON'T CARE BOUT US"

“#BlackOutTuesday was created by the music industry - the idea was to not release new content today to make way for black voices to be heard.”

Finally! A day for the Estate to shine! :laughing:

HIStory had so much work and effort put into the aesthetic & imagery of it. This is a slap in the face to all of that.

SO lazy. So lazy it actually comes off as offensive.

dam2040;4292237 said:
HIStory had so much work and effort put into the aesthetic & imagery of it. This is a slap in the face to all of that.

SO lazy. So lazy it actually comes off as offensive.

Especially since TDCAU proves its relevance right now. Someone looked at the numbers and the short film on YouTube used to average around 100,000 views per day, while it’s climbed to around 400,000 daily views over the last week.

But please don’t quote me on this, I can’t find my source anymore. :D

Yep I agree re release "THEY DON'T CARE BOUT US"

I am not sure about that. Although They Don't Care About Us fits perfectly with what happened with George Floyd, re-releasing it would seem like MJ's Estate looking to gain a hit by using the current unfortunate events, which doesn't sit well with me and won't sit well with many people.

I am not sure about that. Although They Don't Care About Us fits perfectly with what happened with George Floyd, re-releasing it would seem like MJ's Estate looking to gain a hit by using the current unfortunate events, which doesn't sit well with me and won't sit well with many people.

Understandable, but I think it would be different if they just released a HD copy on YouTube, for free and without notice. That way it would be a response to the situation, without exploiting it IMO.

This is understandable.

Agreed. It would look incredibly tacky and offensive.

If anything, the Estate should continue doing what they're doing -- posting the song's lyrics and links to its music video. That's the best way to get the message out there.

Man the estate is really bs! They just reuploaded the history album to YouTube. So much for a anniversary album. Guess we fans have to make up our own project again!

Back