They Dont Care About Us EXPLODING in popularity - becoming MJs most influential song? Re-release?

But with each view there's a chance that somebody saw the video and heard the song for the first time.

If the video starts trending, then maybe millions will see it for the first time.

Each view has the chance of spreading the message. Maybe more people will understand the hurt.

Yes, that's what happening now, in this situation many people can resonate with a song written 25 year ago. It's because of the message, not the chart position, or YouTube - the latter is a only platform here (a tool, not a target).

Last edited:
I can see DuranDuran’s point, though. If you look at how this thread appears on Twitter, it might be perceived as a bit overly gleeful and inappropriate.

mURnxLE.png

This is – once again – more a problem with the automatic Tweets than with the actual content.

ScreenOrigami;4292280 said:
I really don’t think that this is the issue. :D

2020 is probably the year the Estate realizes the relevance of MJ’s legacy.

We had Earth Song for the Australian fires, Heal the World for the pandemic, and now TDCAU for BLM. And the years isn’t even half over …

I find extremely sad that Michael's music needs all of this events to be recognized and appreciated by the mass

But with each view there's a chance that somebody saw the video and heard the song for the first time.

If the video starts trending, then maybe millions will see it for the first time.

Each view has the chance of spreading the message. Maybe more people will understand the hurt.
Speeches mostly reach those who already know about it. I doubt the MAGA crowd are going to seek out this song or any others like it. They're probably listening to Johnny Rebel & Col. Sharecropper records. Even if they do hear the song, it's unlikely going to change their thinking. We have a Martin Luther King Jr. holiday and that has not stopped people from being bigoted. The current president is on their side calling protestors "thugs" & "hoodlums".

I find extremely sad that Michael's music needs all of this events to be recognized and appreciated by the mass

Well, They Don't Care About Us is about a very dark subject, so it naturally will only really get recognised when a tragedy like this happens.

ScreenOrigami;4292311 said:
I can see DuranDuran’s point, though. If you look at how this thread appears on Twitter, it might be perceived as a bit overly gleeful and inappropriate.

Sure, but then the post should be clearly aimed at that (I didn't check twitter so I wasn't aware of this - it doesn't look good indeed :/), but the generalizing "people around here" bit was unnecessary. Especially as many others already expressed concerns about not to exploit the situation.

It could always be a matter of debate whether artists responding to the world around them is "pure art" or just "profiting from the actual climate". The latter is a very cynical view though, and can't be entirely true, as people are social beings, of course they do react to each other and the things happening around them. BTW interesting that I don't remember similar concerns/critics when Earth Song or Heal The World "trended", also as responses to critical situations putting people's life in danger.

I don't know, maybe I'm just in desperate need of something hopeful, so reading "songs won't stop the police" don't help at all, even though I'm aware of that, obviously.

As someone who uses music as therapy for everything in life myself, I just think it’s great to see that people find something to turn to in TDCAU to help them deal with their pain and anger.

ozemouze;4292318 said:
Sure, but then the post should be clearly targeted at that (I didn't check twitter so I wasn't aware of this - it doesn't look good indeed :/), but the generalizing "people around here" bit was unnecessary. Especially as many others already expressed concerns about not to exploit the situation.

It could always be a matter of debate whether artists responding to the world around them is "pure art" or just "profiting from the actual climate". The latter is a very cynical view though, and can't be entirely true, as people are social beings, of course they do react to each other and the things happening around them. BTW interesting that I don't remember similar concerns/critics when Earth Song or Heal The World "trended", also as responses to critical situations putting people's life in danger.

I don't know, maybe I'm just in desperate need of something hopeful, so reading "songs won't stop the police" don't help at all, even though I'm aware of that, obviously.

I agree with you. And I think, it’s one of the purposes of art to respond to the world, in fact in my opinion this is the difference between art and pure entertainment. So I think it’s not only okay, but necessary for artists to react to events in a meaningful way. We need art in times like these. Just look at how one of the first things that happened was that fantastic mural they made in memory of George Floyd.

I did send a lenghty email to the estate 24 hours ago where I detailed my observations regarding the song and asked them what they have in plan and how they view whats going on with it etc.

No response as of yet.

ozemouze;4292318 said:
That's not what I said at all. I said chart hits & Youtube views won't stop the police or what's going on. Both of which were said in this thread. So was "helping Mike's legacy". I didn't look at Twitter, so I don't know anything about that.

AmitLal92;4292282 said:
Spotify have released a Black Lives Matter playlist and "They Don't Care About Us" is not on that list which is a shame.
AmitLal92;4292282 said:
This song deserves to chart.

Lightbringer;4292256 said:
Imagine if They Dont Care About Us became the "official" protest song like Thriller is with Halloween? The song surely deserves that kind of recognition, its underrated.

Krshna28;4292257 said:
Brazil version has almost 700million views. It might overtake Billie Jean in a week or two.

Krshna28;4292278 said:
The views are still coming. Maybe we should just believe.

ScreenOrigami;4292280 said:
2020 is probably the year the Estate realizes the relevance of MJ’s legacy.

We had Earth Song for the Australian fires, Heal the World for the pandemic, and now TDCAU for BLM. And the years isn’t even half over …

There's also this comment in a Tweet in the OP: "Why is there not a campaign by MJ fans to make They Don't Care About Us number 1 on the chart? If you check the prison & brazil version on YT, they are EXPLODING with views and positive comments, its AMAZING to see! The Estate should have already re-released the song!"

I've noticed this. One of my friends, who is a VERY casual Michael Jackson fan, shared a clip of "They Don't Care About Us" on his Facebook today. I was talking to him about it and he said, "I've never heard it before. It's f**king insane. I love it."

The song is finally getting the recognition it deserves. It is by far the best protest song I've ever heard.

I feel a bit... uncomfortable expressing excitement over this given the circumstances, but if this is the song people choose to play to express themselves, so be it.

DuranDuran;4292330 said:
That's not what I said at all. I said chart hits & Youtube views won't stop the police or what's going on. Both of which were said in this thread. So was "helping Mike's legacy".

I’m not quite sure why you quoted my post. Could you elaborate how you interpret the part that you bolded? Because I believe there’s a misunderstanding about the meaning of “legacy” here.

Version 1 - Almost at 700,000,000 views
Version 2 - Almost at 50,000,000 views

In my opinion like i said in another thread. i think it would be okay for a rerelease during what going on right now. some may feel it's for it to get on the charts. for me I find it a great song due to what's going on right now.

they should like rerelease heal the world, TDCAU, earth song, and we are the world because those are is the major songs that been playing all this year and the year isn't even over yet.

so i don't see as getting viewers and listeners. i see it as appreciating. (y)

In my opinion they don't need to make a video for tdcau. people already doing it. but as for the heal the world video people was making heal the world videos before the estate did. so I don't know. maybe they could.

ScreenOrigami;4292319 said:
As someone who uses music as therapy for everything in life myself, I just think it’s great to see that people find something to turn to in TDCAU to help them deal with their pain and anger.

AlwaysThere;4292331 said:
I've noticed this. One of my friends, who is a VERY casual Michael Jackson fan, shared a clip of "They Don't Care About Us" on his Facebook today. I was talking to him about it and he said, "I've never heard it before. It's f**king insane. I love it."

The song is finally getting the recognition it deserves. It is by far the best protest song I've ever heard.

I feel a bit... uncomfortable expressing excitement over this given the circumstances, but if this is the song people choose to play to express themselves, so be it.

I think that's the best explanation of the ambivalent feelings of many of us now, thanks for expressing it! No one can seriously think that people aren't concerned about the circumstances, but it doesn't exclude to notice what's going around with the song right now. I don't think we should pretend like we aren't moved by it, just to "act appropriate". And again, I didn't hear similar concerns with Earth Song/Heal The World, everybody seemed to understand that people are turning to the music in order to seek comfort and express their feelings.

And I agree with ScreenOrigami with the above: people need to release their pain and frustration with the tools that we have, including art and creativity. Music in particular is very effective with that, not to mention accessible for almost everyone. Yes, it doesn't solve the issues, yes, the relief achieved by it is temporary, but we still need it to be able to function.

And one more thing: many people here aren't native English speakers, so their wording may sound awkward or even badly worded sometimes (including mine :blush:), but the main message can be usually deciphered, and that's what we should focus on IMO (having said that, I'm happy to receive corrections if needed :D).

And yes, there are comments here mentioning charts, and I agree there shouldn't be, but it may be forgiven that people got carried away a bit. I'm sure their focus is in the right direction in general.

Last edited:
In my opinion like i said in another thread. i think it would be okay for a rerelease during what going on right now. some may feel it's for it to get on the charts. for me I find it a great song due to what's going on right now.

they should like rerelease heal the world, TDCAU, earth song, and we are the world because those are is the major songs that been playing all this year and the year isn't even over yet.

so i don't see as getting viewers and listeners. i see it as appreciating. (y)

Also in the past these songs was singles and they had remixes to go with them. so yeah. if they could of done it in the past I don't see the problem to rerelease those singles. you can find them all on ebay. they would have to update some of the remixes but other then that i don't see nothing wrong to rerelease those singles right now. it's a perfect time in my opinion.

Michael was known for these message songs and they still make alot sense today. (y)

TDCAU is simply perfect. - Very sad things have not turned better in the 25 years that has passed since it's release.

In a perfect world the song should/would not be relevant anymore - but sadly, it's as relevant as ever.

Not sure happy/exited is the right words, but I can't find another word that fits - so I'm "happy" people use TDCAU as an anthem song.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">They Don&#8217;t Care About Us by Michael Jackson has gained 505,548 views past 24hrs. Followed by Billie Jean with 416,170 views &amp; Smooth Criminal with 400,941 views. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/KingOfPop?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#KingOfPop</a> <a href="https://t.co/DtWTMVpZ7o">pic.twitter.com/DtWTMVpZ7o</a></p>&mdash; MJ Chart Data (@MJChartData) <a href="https://twitter.com/MJChartData/status/1268082308730499073?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 3, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Play Michael Jackson&#39;s &quot;They don&#39;t care about us&quot; and &quot;Heal the World&quot; today. The media has constantly tried to ruin his numbers and now is the perfect time to support the man who endlessly supported the community &#9825;</p>&mdash; Jessica Vill (@jbunzie) <a href="https://twitter.com/jbunzie/status/1267952069438107651?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 2, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hey <a href="https://twitter.com/Spotify?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Spotify</a>. Please add &#8220;They Don&#8217;t Care About Us&#8221; to the Black Lives Matter playlist.</p>&mdash; AM195 (@AM19518) <a href="https://twitter.com/AM19518/status/1267943725214445573?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 2, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Michael's songs reflect real life. He understood the real problems in the World and wanted to make a change.

He himself was a victim of police brutality and racism.

At 4:41 of the Prison Version, does Michael communicate "FU*K YOU" in sign language?

At 4:41 of the Prison Version, does Michael communicate "FU*K YOU" in sign language?

lol! no. from what I heard, i don't know if this true or not, but he saying they don't care about us in sign language i think. if not then it's totally something else. i wish Michael did more things like that in his short films for his fans with disabilities. :)

8 songs that provide context to police violence protests

As protests against police violence toward the black community continue in Athens and around the country, there is a growing call for people to become more educated on these issues. The Red & Black has compiled a list of songs that contextualize the history and sentiments behind these demonstrations.

This Is America by Childish Gambino (2018)

Summed up: “This Is America” is a direct commentary on violence against black people in America. In his lyrics, Childish Gambino references police violence towards Stephon Clark who was shot eight times after police assumed the cell phone in his hand was a weapon in March 2018.

Notable lyric: “This is America (skrrt, skrrt, woo)/Don’t catch you slippin’ now (ayy)/Look how I’m livin’ now/Police be trippin’ now (woo)”

Ascension by Gorillaz featuring Vince Staples (2017)

Summed up: “Ascension” talks about how the world is coming to an end by touching on police violence and how the world harshly discriminates against black Americans

Notable lyric: "I’m just playin’ baby this the land of the free/Where you can get a Glock and a gram for the cheap/Where you can live your dreams long as you don’t look like me"

XXX. by Kendrick Lamar featuring U2 (2017)

Summed up: Song 11 on Kendrick Lamar’s Pulitzer Prize-winning album, “DAMN.,” dives into how structural racism affects black Americans.

Notable lyric: “You overnight the big rifles, then tell Fox to be scared of us/Gang members or terrorists, et cetera, et cetera/America’s reflection of me that’s what a mirror does”

Neighbors by J. Cole (2016)

Summed up: On March 18, 2016 J. Cole’s house he rented to use as a studio was raided by a SWAT team in North Carolina after neighbors complained about the house being used to sell drugs, according to Genius. No one was in the house at the time of the raid and no drugs were found, J. Cole’s producer Elite told Complex.

Notable lyric: “Can’t sleep ‘cause I’m paranoid/Black in a white man territory/Cops bust in with the army guns/No evidence of the harm we done”

They Don't Care About Us by Michael Jackson (1995)

Summed up: “They Don’t Care About Us” was written to bring awareness to racism and violence against oppressed groups.

Notable lyric: “I’m tired of being the victim of hate/You’re ripping me of my pride, oh, for God’s sake/I look to heaven to fulfill its prophecy, set me free”

The Death of Emmett Till by Bob Dylan

Summed up: In this song, Dylan retells the story of 14-year-old Emmett Till who was lynched in Mississippi in 1955 after allegedly flirting with a white woman.

Notable lyric: “Some men they dragged him to a barn and there they beat him up/They said they had a reason, but I can’t remember what/They tortured him and did some evil things to evil to repeat/There was screaming sounds inside the barn, there was laughing sounds out on the street”

Police State by Dead Prez (2000)

Summed up: A police state is “characterized by repressive governmental control of political, economic and social life usually by an arbitrary exercise of power by police... in place of regular operation of administrative and judicial organs of the government according to publicly known legal procedures,” according to Merriam-Webster dictionary. In his song, Prez is calling attention to how black Americans live in a police state.

Notable lyric: “FBI spying on us through radio antennas/And them hidden cameras in the streetlight watching society/With no respect to people’s right to privacy”

White Privilege II by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Jamila Woods (2016)

Summed up: The almost nine-minute song dives deep into white privilege as Macklemore wonders whether he is doing too much or not enough in supporting the Black Lives Matter movement. He also discusses cultural appropriation of hip-hop by white artists and the intentions of white people behind their activism.

Notable lyric: “Some of us are scared, some of us defensive/And most of us aren’t even paying attention/It seems like we’re more concerned with being called racist/Than we actually are with racism”

https://www.redandblack.com/culture/8-songs-that-provide-context-to-police-violence-protests/article_160dfef6-a52d-11ea-99b2-637c067bbdb0.html

(Red & Black is a college newspaper in Georgia. This article was posted today.)

I’m glad the song is becoming more and more popular so that more people will see that Michael was teying to raise awareness and make a change decades ago already. Sadly the song is still extremely relevant because nothing has changed. &#128546; Please keep sharing the song but not ”to make MJ #1 on the charts” because this is not the tome to be concerned about charts, but to get the message across. I would really like people to discover ”We’ve Had Enough” because it is a beautiful but heartbreaking song that has always made me cry every time I listen to it. Especially right now the lyrics are SO RELEVANT that it breaks your heart.
”She innocently questioned why...why her father had to die..She asked the men in blue, how is it that you get to choose, who will live and who will die..did God say that you could decide?! You saw he didn’t run and that my daddy had no gun”...”There’s nothing that can’t be done if we raise our voices as one...They gotta hear it from me...They gotta hear it from you...They gotta hear it from us...we can’t take it..WE’VE ALREADY HAD ENOUGH!!!!”
&#128546;&#128546;&#128546;&#128546;&#128546;&#128546;&#128546;&#128546;&#128546;&#128546;&#128546;&#128546;&#128546;

https://youtu.be/clyJTAz7rb8

Please everyone keep fighting for justice to FINALLY end racism and end police brutality! Join the protests around the world, many cities around the world are organizing multiple protests in support of the American protesters to get justice for George Floyd and to stop the police from killing black people!!!

STOP RACISM!!!!!!! &#8252;&#65039;&#8252;&#65039;&#8252;&#65039;&#8252;&#65039;&#8252;&#65039;

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Michael Jackson&#39;s &quot;They Don&#39;t Care About Us (Brazil Version)&quot; has now surpassed 700 million views on YouTube.</p>&mdash; chart data (@chartdata) <a href="https://twitter.com/chartdata/status/1268252859893788672?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 3, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Back