Thoughts on "Threatened" [MERGED]

Re: Threatened Appreciation Thread

Threatened's inclusion on This Is It made going back to the album, giving conscientious listenings, appreciating and loving the beauty, the creativity of the track. What a shame we didn't get to see it live properly, combining Thriller with Threatened was genius!

To me Threatened along with Smile are the best album closers.

I sometimes feel like Threatened is too good for Invincible.

I forgot to point out that I hated those Sony idiots for canceling the Invincible promotion so much! One just could loosely imagine what Michael could have done if he had had the chance to film Threatened. My mind and imagination are average compared to the genius but it'd have been a masterpiece.

From a chat interview he did in October, 2001.

Anthony: Now we have Warful writes in, "Are you working or planning to do any more short films for Invincible, specifically for the really fast tracks such as 2000 Watts, Heartbreaker, Unbreakable, and Invincible?"
Michael: Absolutely, and she said... Whoever said that said the right word when they said said "short films." And uh, that's what we try to make them, short films: a beginning and middle and a ending of a story. Uh, to take the medium to a new level but absolutely. There's like a an array of, an encyclopedia of just great short films to make from the album. It's very exciting. I can't wait to do Threatened. It's a kind of scary one with Rod Serling from the Twilight Zone. I can't wait to get my hands on that one.

Last edited:

Threatened is easily one of the best tracks from Invincible. It's one of my favorites.

Just imagine how the short film for Threatened would be... Damn. It could only be good...

Threatened is easily one of the best songs on the Invincible album. The beat is very catchy and the bassline is amazing!

I wish MJ's estate could somehow give Ghost, 2000 watts, and Threatened a lot of publicity.
Michael is already the undisputed King of Halloween, but he'd have Halloween on lock if Threatened, and Ghost got as much attention as Thriller.

I love the song, enough to have made a fan made video years back.. It had some pixilation and coloring issues due to the program I was using but fans seem to like it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqwUn9Cxr5Q

Leave a comment on the youtube page if you'd like ;) I love going back and reading those time to time!!! lol.

Threatend is one of my two favourite songs from the Vince-Album. :bow:

AMAZING song, it's the perfect song to conclude the album. One production trick I love is the little skip/stutter that's also in Unbreakable (I don't know if any other songs on the album have it). It just wraps the album up into a dainty, cohesive package.

Well not dainty, but you get what I mean. ;D

I love it! It's my favourite song on Invincible.

lol, i'm just listening to this song :chillin:
I love everything about it, from the melody to the the instruments etc :0

One of the best songs on Invincible for me. Driving hard MJ beat.

Like all the other songs on the album though, I'd love to hear some form of early pre-production demo to hear how it would have sounded in the early stages

It's always irritating when people make comparsions between Threatened and Thriller. They are so far away from each other. The only thing they have in common is that they are rooted in gothic/horror pop. Threatened also has a lot of funk elements disguised with abstract mechanical sounds/instruments.

Threatened is great. I love the hard *****, I also love the sort of funky, industrial kind of sound to it. Also the sort of double lyrics; the classic MJ halloween type of thing that's also got MJ brags. Good shit.

It´s a raw, predatory, and very sexy song. The ***** alone make my blood boil! :blink:

Like with many good songs, it took a while until I really liked "Threatened". It is so "massive" and overwhelming (in a good way), at least in my opinion.

^^^

I mean *****, the word keeps being saved as ****

moonstruck87;4148210 said:
*confused*

You meant b.eat right? I love the beat too :D

The Blog "Half of me" was inspired by this thread.

Half of me you’ll never be, so you should feel threatened by me"
Is just one 'haunting' line from this awesome song on Invincible.
I think it's again a perfect 'album closer' that makes you reel for more.
I love the whole 'eerie' feel of it and I would have loved to
see a shortfilm with that 'horror' kinda theme again.
According to a chat interview dated in October 2001
MJ was really eager to shoot that shortfilm.
"Michael: I can't wait to do Threatened. It's a kind of scary one with
Rod Serling from the Twilight Zone. I can't wait to get
my hands on that one."
The beauty of MJ's songs is that they always have a story hidden
in them. Nicely lurking between the Bass and the Melody.
Not just any story, MJ has a quirky way of 'inserting' either
Classic Music or Classic movie scenes into his songs so
in that way, you even get more out of the song than
just a 'regular' pop song.
It's like a 'lesson' hidden in a 'game' you know.
It just hit me right now lol thinking about it.
What if the "Thriller" version of "This is it" is really
what MJ 'envisioned' for "Threatened" as when
we see in the rehearsals the performance does end with
the "Threatened" tune or is that just a grasp too far here.

Taken from: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/blog/half-of-me

hmmm, now I'm curious to know what the **** are? :unsure:

Threatened is a wicked tune with sick beat. I always feel like it's a great song to listen to when you gotta go handle some business or deal with people you don't like, lol.

Threatened doesn't get the credit it deserves.

I love how Michael took different audio clips of Rod Serling speaking from the Twilight Zone and edited them together to make it into a rap. Threatened really doesn't get the credit it truly deserves.

I wonder what Twilight Zone episodes Michael used to make that Rod Serling rap. I know the episode ''A Good Life'' was one of them, but does anybody know what else was used?

Re: Threatened doesn't get the credit it deserves.

It is certainly one of the high points of the album for me. But I find it suffers because I know it is sequenced last on an album I find really disappointing. It's like, yeah it's a great track but it's stuck on a sinking ship.

I also think it suffers because the lyrical subject matter is somewhat familiar at best, and predictable at worst.

Re: Threatened doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Tbh, you can say that about the entire Invincible album.

Speaking of Threatened, I think it's a good song, but I do think it was a bit of an odd choice as an album closer.

Back