Article: Michael Jackson wanted the role of Professor Xavier in X-Men and met with producers in 1999

NatureCriminal7896;4300137 said:
you're right. but that was years before the lies came out. not to mention in the leave me alone short film the newspaper says michael frozen for 50 years. that's crazy. but he loved the movie though.

These press headlines came actually from Michael Jackson, and most of them were fake stories.

He came up with such fake (and harmless) stories about himself around that time, and then he started planting them on the press.

This was part of his strategy to remain in the spotlight even when he was not releasing new music or when he was not performing.

He used many of these fake press stories also on his ‘Leave Me Alone’ music video.

Themidwestcowboy;4300105 said:
I remember reading that Michael wanted to do some movies in the interim time between Thriller and Bad but the Victory project got in the way that.

Michael Jackson even used to take film lessons from the American actress Jane Fonda when he was staying with her while she was filming her ‘On Golden Pond’ film in early ‘80s.

He had a tape recorder always with him and he would record Jane Fonda while she was telling him stories and lessons about films and acting in general.

mj_frenzy;4300143 said:
These press headlines came actually from Michael Jackson, and most of them were fake stories.

He came up with such fake (and harmless) stories about himself around that time, and then he started planting them on the press.

He used many of these fake press stories also on his ‘Leave Me Alone’ music video.

you kind of right about this. i'm not sure if this true or not but i heard some stories michael made up to tease the media into thinking he was crazy. :laughing: he had a good sense of humor but most of the time those stories wasn't from him. so i somewhat agree with you with this. but not all of it because like i said some of those stories was from the media and he did put them in the leave me alone short film and other songs in the future.

mj_frenzy;4300143 said:

This was part of his strategy to remain in the spotlight even when he was not releasing new music or when he was not performing.

Michael Jackson even used to take film lessons from the American actress Jane Fonda when he was staying with her while she was filming her ‘On Golden Pond’ film in early ‘80s.

He had a tape recorder always with him and he would record Jane Fonda while she was telling him stories and lessons about films and acting in general.

The stories themselves may have been harmless, but feeding that stuff to the press and then using it to get fan sympathy afterwards is devious.

Newbie question: How do you guys know that MJ planted those stories? Who’s the source for this information?

NatureCriminal7896;4300137 said:
you're right. but that was years before the lies came out. not to mention in the leave me alone short film the newspaper says michael frozen for 50 years. that's crazy. but he loved the movie though.

Hence why I said would have been prophetic/kinda predicting the future. In the movie, Edward is embraced by the public, but then rumors and lies start to spread about him and he becomes a victim of mob mentality/false accusations. The same thing happened to Michael.

ScreenOrigami;4300172 said:
Newbie question: How do you guys know that MJ planted those stories? Who’s the source for this information?

I've always been confused on this as well. I've heard both the "Michael planted all those stories" and "The press made them up" stories. I have to wonder if it was a mix of the two: Michael planted one of the stories, and when the media found out they were played they got butthurt and began to make up a bunch of crap.

Amaya;4300179 said:
I've always been confused on this as well. I've heard both the "Michael planted all those stories" and "The press made them up" stories. I have to wonder if it was a mix of the two: Michael planted one of the stories, and when the media found out they were played they got butthurt and began to make up a bunch of crap.

Whenever it’s the media vs. MJ, I’m gonna side with MJ unless there’s definite credible proof for the media’s version. I recall seeing a 1993 TV show on YouTube (I think it was Geraldo) with someone from a tabloid and Taraborrelli, and they claimed MJ’s camp had planted the stories. So if that’s the source, I’m not gonna believe it.

Hence why I said would have been prophetic/kinda predicting the future. In the movie, Edward is embraced by the public, but then rumors and lies start to spread about him and he becomes a victim of mob mentality/false accusations. The same thing happened to Michael.

O_O i guess Michael predict his own future and death. either that hollywired did. i truly believe michael death was plan. he was murder and i think he knew too because he would always say they gonna try to kill me if i do this or that or say this or that. which explain why he didn't speak out alot of stuff. that's has got to be scary. not only for michael but anyone.

may he r.i.p he was a misunderstood soul. :(

Michael did plant some stories but not all of them. he did it to make fun of the media while it was funny and a nice comeback it wasn't a good idea. it did more harm to him than good. so he kind of did it to himself.

but not all stories was plant from him. like example the elephant man bones. michael want it the bones to make a remake of movie not how the media portray like he was wired.

michael putting bandages on his face was him just doing it for media attention to think he was crazy etc. this may not be enough to understand. but i hope i explained enough to anyone to understand.

A shame that Frank Delio never got to finish his memoir book. He might have shed some light on all of that.

Over the years I've heard a ton of times that the story with the photo showing Michael in the oxygen chamber (at a medical burn center) and the story about him trying to buy the bones of the "Elefant Man" were planted by Michael or Frank or both. But I don't think it went much beyond that in terms of anything mean or really harmful to his image. And as much as he seemingly hated to talk about his plastic surgeries and his looks, I can't see them deliberately planting any stories about that. It just had to happen anyway...

Last edited:
I heard the oxygen chamber was for a promotion for captain eo and that it was actually for his head due the pepsi accident to make his head heal faster because his lupus made things on his body heal longer then usual.

the media made it seem he want it to be forever "young" and not "grow old." see? the media twisted to make it seem something that it wasn't. smh.

Anna;4300170 said:
The stories themselves may have been harmless, but feeding that stuff to the press and then using it to get fan sympathy afterwards is devious.

It was generally a stupid behaviour on his part, because although he started this as some sort of a game and for gaining more media attention in the ‘80s, then in the following decades it evolved into something very serious that he could no longer control.

Media and press took advantage of what he intentionally had started, and then they began publishing their own, fake stories about him.

One example comes from the British ‘Daily Mirror’ tabloid newspaper which in mid-1992 called him on their front page ‘SCARFACE’ with a deliberately distorted photo of his face published on their front page as well.

Michael Jackson took immediately legal action against ‘Daily Mirror’ and it took him years to eventually win that legal case (‘Daily Mirror’ conceded years later, when they lost the case, that it was the newspaper that deliberately and maliciously did that to him).

NatureCriminal7896;4300204 said:
I heard the oxygen chamber was for a promotion for captain eo and that it was actually for his head due the pepsi accident to make his head heal faster because his lupus made things on his body heal longer then usual.

the media made it seem he want it to be forever "young" and not "grow old." see? the media twisted to make it seem something that it wasn't. smh.

Michael Jackson asked his then-manager Frank Dileo and also the American public relations expert Michael Levine to help him plant that particular oxygen chamber story on the press.

It was firstly planted on the American tabloid ‘National Enquirer’ magazine in 1986 (by leaking these photos to that magazine), and it was indeed about promoting his ‘Captain EO’ film at the time.

I don’t see how it helps to claim over and over that he planted the oxygen chamber story when my question was clearly what the source of this information is.

You all read Taraborrelli’s book and take it at face value or what? :laughing:

I wasn’t able to find any credible source so far. The National Enquirer dude on Geraldo’s show even claimed the photo they first got was a polaroid of poor quality so they couldn’t print it and MJ went back and took a better photo.

I mean, seriously? They receive a “bizarre” photo of MJ directly from his PR team (as he claims) and what they do is call them back for a better quality version instead of slapping it on the front page right away? Risking that somebody else runs the story first? WTF?

It’s the typical case of someone adding wild details to their story to sell a lie. Meanwhile, he doesn’t produce the first photo, the accompanying letter that explains what it is, or any of the follow-up conversation to prove his claims. He could have easily shown those items live on TV.

I gotta find that video, it was a joke.

Edit: Found it. This was shortly after the Oprah special.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6jhrTazxcEY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Anna;4300233 said:
On that note, this thread has gone pretty far off topic. Can we get back to the original story.

Would it be possible to move the hyperbaric chamber discussion from this thread to a more appropriate thread? I would really like to try to get to the bottom of this and find out if there&#8217;s evidence to support those claims.

ScreenOrigami;4300234 said:
Would it be possible to move the hyperbaric chamber discussion from this thread to a more appropriate thread? I would really like to try to get to the bottom of this and find out if there&#8217;s evidence to support those claims.

Yeah, you can start a new thread in Trials and Tribs if you want.

ScreenOrigami;4300224 said:
I don’t see how it helps to claim over and over that he planted the oxygen chamber story when my question was clearly what the source of this information is.

You all read Taraborrelli’s book and take it at face value or what? :laughing:

I wasn’t able to find any credible source so far. The National Enquirer dude on Geraldo’s show even claimed the photo they first got was a polaroid of poor quality so they couldn’t print it and MJ went back and took a better photo.

I mean, seriously? They receive a “bizarre” photo of MJ directly from his PR team (as he claims) and what they do is call them back for a better quality version instead of slapping it on the front page right away? Risking that somebody else runs the story first? WTF?

It’s the typical case of someone adding wild details to their story to sell a lie. Meanwhile, he doesn’t produce the first photo, the accompanying letter that explains what it is, or any of the follow-up conversation to prove his claims. He could have easily shown those items live on TV.

I gotta find that video, it was a joke.

Edit: Found it. This was shortly after the Oprah special.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6jhrTazxcEY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You’re on to something!

mj_frenzy;4300221 said:
It was generally a stupid behaviour on his part, because although he started this as some sort of a game and for gaining more media attention in the &#8216;80s, then in the following decades it evolved into something very serious that he could no longer control.

Media and press took advantage of what he intentionally had started, and then they began publishing their own, fake stories about him.

It's a bit naive to think though that the tabloid press would have been any different to him in later years, if he only had not planted (IF true) those oxygen chamber and elefant man stories etc.

For one, I'm pretty sure there were tons of fake (not planted) stories even before those.

And more importantly, no one could get around the obvious fact that his look changed DRASTICALLY in the 80s. That alone would have made him the tabloid press target that he was.

Last edited:
Back