SiriusXM exclusive Michael Jackson channel

Thanks guys, hehe.

Darkchild was a guest? i must miss that.

Darkchild = Rodney Jerkins ;)

And it seems I was pre-mature saying this was the last one... I just heard a commercial advertising yet another special for tomorrow night. This one is going to be hosted by 3T!

Amaya;4300651 said:
Tonight was Ne-Yo's King of Pop Playlist special. This is the last one they'll be putting out. Sucks to see it go, but it was fun while it lasted. Let's roll!

• Says he's honored to be here and thanks people for tuning in. Says he's a lifelong fan and it's no secret that there would be no Ne-Yo if there was no Michael Jackson.
  • First song is Off the Wall. No special notes on this.
  • Wanna Be Startin' Something – He recites the “mama se mama sa ma ma cu sa” bit and says he doesn't know what it means but it's fun to sing. He encourages listeners to sing along if they know it.
  • Thriller – Ne-Yo says everything Michael did was iconic, but this song was the one that made people go “Ok this dude is a superstar and there's nothing we can do to deny that”.
  • Leave Me Alone – Says he really feels this song sometimes, especially lately since he's been getting phone calls non-stop since he can't go anywhere.
  • Smooth Criminal – To this day Ne-Yo is still trying to perfect the lean from this video. He knows it was done with hooks/special effects but he thinks he can do it without those if he gets his toes and calves trained well enough. He'll let us know how it turns out!
  • Dirty Diana – As a kid he didn't really know what this song was about, but his mom really liked it. Being an adult now he understands it more but doesn't want to understand why his mom liked it (lol). Don't play this one, mama!
  • Remember the Time – Teddy Riley is a musical genius and proved that with this song. He says the video and dance routine for this song are among his favorites of all time. Gives a shout-out to the choreographer for that dance routine and to MJ also.
  • In-between songs, Ne-Yo says it's really hard to pick a favorite MJ song. Michael could sing pretty much anything and it could become someone's favorite song just because of his voice.
  • Butterflies – Praises Flowetry for writing this one. Another of his all-time favorites.
  • I Can't Help It – MJ was great for those haunting melodies that get stuck in your head, and this is no exception.
  • Another in-between thing: He says there are no bad Michael Jackson songs. If you do know of any bad MJ songs, Ne-Yo would like to know!
  • Lady in My Life – His favorite MJ song of all-time.
  • Thanks everyone for tuning in again. Thinks people would be telling him he'd be good at this radio thing. Was happy to share songs from one of his biggest inspirations. Long live the King!

Another great playlist and a good one to end this limited series on. It's been fun writing these summaries for you guys! Now I can take a much needed break lol.

nice playlist.

Thanks guys, hehe.

Darkchild = Rodney Jerkins ;)

And it seems I was pre-mature saying this was the last one... I just heard a commercial advertising yet another special for tomorrow night. This one is going to be hosted by 3T!

Oh. i didn't know that was his stage name. and wow! i didn't expect them to host what a surprise. Taj was keeping a secret now was he.

We got 3 more days before the channel ends. i can't wait to see what they have left in these 3 days. :)

Looks like there’s one more. 3T will be hosting a playlist tonight. :)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">OMG! 3T, <a href="https://twitter.com/tajjackson3?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@tajjackson3</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/tjjackson?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@tjjackson</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/tarylljackson?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@tarylljackson</a> , are hosting a playlist on <a href="https://twitter.com/SIRIUSXM?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@SIRIUSXM</a> Michael Jackson channel today!!!</p>&mdash; KerryC &#55356;&#56808;&#55356;&#56806; | #1Billion4MJ (@MyAngelsWhisper) <a href="https://twitter.com/MyAngelsWhisper/status/1293549445317967872?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 12, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">&#128079;&#127998; <a href="https://t.co/Ej588ypkri">https://t.co/Ej588ypkri</a></p>&mdash; Taj Jackson (@tajjackson3) <a href="https://twitter.com/tajjackson3/status/1293333614801764352?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 11, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tonight's King of Pop Playlist special is hosted by Tito's sons/Michael's nephews, 3T: Taj, TJ, and Taryll. I have to apologize in advance on some of these as I had a hard time remembering whose voice was who's and they rarely stated who they were when talking, so some of this may not be accurate. X_X

• The three thank everyone for joining and talk a bit about how they've been spending time in quarantine. TJ has been reading and studying older music during quarantine. Taryll has been making music and spending time with his family. Taj has been busy raising his daughter (his first!).
  • Man in the Mirror – Amazing, inspirational song you can listen to over and over and never get sick of. Says this is what we need right now. TJ says this is his favorite Uncle Michael song and the message is crucial.
  • Human Nature – TJ says this his second favorite Michael song, and that it was written by Steve Porcaro from the band Toto. TJ says he's a big fan of Toto so that's probably why he likes this one so much. Taryll chimes in after the song saying Michael performing this song in This Is It caused him to cry. :(
  • Smooth Criminal – Taryll loves the video for this. He said when the album came out he was supposed to get a copy but it got delayed, so he begged his mom to buy the album for him. He wasn't sure what was being said in this song but he loved it! After the song, Taj tells a story about watching Michael perform this on tour. Taj was really into camera angles, and told the cameraman that he was filming the lean from the wrong angle. The next time they saw the show the camera angle was different (a wide angle shot), so he was blown away that the cameraman listened to him!
  • I Want You Back – A classic song. TJ/Taryll (I can't tell who it was, sorry) says it brings them back to when they were doing shows on stage with their dad. He thinks about their family when they think of this song, and how proud they are of all they've accomplished.
  • Destiny – This was never a single so it's not a popular Jacksons song, but it's one that inspired TJ/Taryll (again, can't tell who it was, sorry) to pick up a guitar and learn to play. Says Tito and Michael wrote this together.
  • Rock With You – Taryll says this was their mother's favorite Michael song, and hearing this makes him think of his mother dancing to it.
  • Black or White – Taj (I think it's Taj... guys, please say your names!) loves the video for this, and says it put face morphing tech on the map. The whole song just rocks and remembers driving down the 101 (which is a really long U.S. highway that stretches from southern California to Washington... have to confess I don't think I was aware of its existence lol) while listening to this. TJ (?) remembers the video debuting on three different channels and how big it felt. Michael wanted to get the message across with his music.
  • Remember the Time – TJ's (?) favorite song from the Dangerous album and probably his favorite video too. Loved New Jack Swing genre and praises Teddy Riley's contributions to this. Taj says this brings back memories
  • TWYMMF – Taj (?) loves the harmonies on this. Brings up the acapella of this and says how the way Michael sang this made him love the song even more. Loves the video too.
  • Petals – Taj says keeps going back to the Jackson 5. He was obsessed with this song back in the day and always played this while driving; he played it so much it drove his brothers crazy! TJ confirms this after the song ends, but he's okay hearing it again!
  • You Are Not Alone – TJ recalls Michael playing this for them in the studio during a visit. Says it's a perfect, classic Michael Jackson ballad.
  • Why – Taj says Michael also played this for them when they visited, and he wasn't sure if he should put this or YANA on the HIStory album. 3T offered to do Why for their album and Michael let them have it. They're really proud of this song and are proud to be part of it (side note: I think this is the first time this song was played on this channel).
  • The show ends with each brother commenting. TJ reminds everyone to be safe and stay strong; we will get through this. Taj says to stay safe and think of others. Taryll also says to be safe and says Michael was all about love. They thank everyone for listening.

A good playlist with some nice surprises! Was so glad to hear Destiny and I had never heard Petals before.

Also, it seems there was ANOTHER special on Saturday that I somehow missed... this one was done by Naomi Campbell!
ml2FJhk.jpg

I'll have to listen to it later.

Amaya;4300783 said:
Taj was really into camera angles, and told the cameraman that he was filming the lean from the wrong angle. The next time they saw the show the camera angle was different (a wide angle shot), so he was blown away that the cameraman listened to him!

Ha, now we have to watch all those shows again and find out when the camera angle changed. :D

Thanks for another great write up. :)

The confusion about who is who reminded me of how Donald Duck’s nephews sometimes share one speech bubble when they talk or sing in unison. :D

per195823.jpg

Amaya;4300783 said:
Tonight's King of Pop Playlist special is hosted by Tito's sons/Michael's nephews, 3T: Taj, TJ, and Taryll. I have to apologize in advance on some of these as I had a hard time remembering whose voice was who's and they rarely stated who they were when talking, so some of this may not be accurate. X_X

• The three thank everyone for joining and talk a bit about how they've been spending time in quarantine. TJ has been reading and studying older music during quarantine. Taryll has been making music and spending time with his family. Taj has been busy raising his daughter (his first!).
  • Man in the Mirror &#8211; Amazing, inspirational song you can listen to over and over and never get sick of. Says this is what we need right now. TJ says this is his favorite Uncle Michael song and the message is crucial.
  • Human Nature &#8211; TJ says this his second favorite Michael song, and that it was written by Steve Porcaro from the band Toto. TJ says he's a big fan of Toto so that's probably why he likes this one so much. Taryll chimes in after the song saying Michael performing this song in This Is It caused him to cry. :(
  • Smooth Criminal &#8211; Taryll loves the video for this. He said when the album came out he was supposed to get a copy but it got delayed, so he begged his mom to buy the album for him. He wasn't sure what was being said in this song but he loved it! After the song, Taj tells a story about watching Michael perform this on tour. Taj was really into camera angles, and told the cameraman that he was filming the lean from the wrong angle. The next time they saw the show the camera angle was different (a wide angle shot), so he was blown away that the cameraman listened to him!
  • I Want You Back &#8211; A classic song. TJ/Taryll (I can't tell who it was, sorry) says it brings them back to when they were doing shows on stage with their dad. He thinks about their family when they think of this song, and how proud they are of all they've accomplished.
  • Destiny &#8211; This was never a single so it's not a popular Jacksons song, but it's one that inspired TJ/Taryll (again, can't tell who it was, sorry) to pick up a guitar and learn to play. Says Tito and Michael wrote this together.
  • Rock With You &#8211; Taryll says this was their mother's favorite Michael song, and hearing this makes him think of his mother dancing to it.
  • Black or White &#8211; Taj (I think it's Taj... guys, please say your names!) loves the video for this, and says it put face morphing tech on the map. The whole song just rocks and remembers driving down the 101 (which is a really long U.S. highway that stretches from southern California to Washington... have to confess I don't think I was aware of its existence lol) while listening to this. TJ (?) remembers the video debuting on three different channels and how big it felt. Michael wanted to get the message across with his music.
  • Remember the Time &#8211; TJ's (?) favorite song from the Dangerous album and probably his favorite video too. Loved New Jack Swing genre and praises Teddy Riley's contributions to this. Taj says this brings back memories
  • TWYMMF &#8211; Taj (?) loves the harmonies on this. Brings up the acapella of this and says how the way Michael sang this made him love the song even more. Loves the video too.
  • Petals &#8211; Taj says keeps going back to the Jackson 5. He was obsessed with this song back in the day and always played this while driving; he played it so much it drove his brothers crazy! TJ confirms this after the song ends, but he's okay hearing it again!
  • You Are Not Alone &#8211; TJ recalls Michael playing this for them in the studio during a visit. Says it's a perfect, classic Michael Jackson ballad.
  • Why &#8211; Taj says Michael also played this for them when they visited, and he wasn't sure if he should put this or YANA on the HIStory album. 3T offered to do Why for their album and Michael let them have it. They're really proud of this song and are proud to be part of it (side note: I think this is the first time this song was played on this channel).
  • The show ends with each brother commenting. TJ reminds everyone to be safe and stay strong; we will get through this. Taj says to stay safe and think of others. Taryll also says to be safe and says Michael was all about love. They thank everyone for listening.

A good playlist with some nice surprises! Was so glad to hear Destiny and I had never heard Petals before.

Also, it seems there was ANOTHER special on Saturday that I somehow missed... this one was done by Naomi Campbell!
ml2FJhk.jpg

I'll have to listen to it later.

Good playlist with 3 "new" songs. can't wait to see what Naomi has for her playlist. i know one of them is in the closet. :laughing:

ScreenOrigami;4300806 said:
Ha, now we have to watch all those shows again and find out when the camera angle changed. :D

Thanks for another great write up. :)

The confusion about who is who reminded me of how Donald Duck’s nephews sometimes share one speech bubble when they talk or sing in unison. :D

per195823.jpg

:laughing:

We have one more day until the channel ends. i wonder what's gonna happen tomorrow. i hope it's something nice.

We have one more day until the channel ends. i wonder what's gonna happen tomorrow. i hope it's something nice.

I find it funny they ending the channel tomorrow. they could wait until michael birthday to end it. they should of release the channel late july. but it's been almost a month. so i let it go. i can't believe it's been a month. time really is flying. O_O

Here's to hoping the channel can become permanent, like what happened with Billy Joel.

NatureCriminal7896;4300819 said:

They're playing the Bad Tour Wembley show again, but other than that and maybe another surprise playlist special. I don't think they have much else planned. Not a very exciting ending, but that's how it is.

Speaking of surprise playlist specials, I had a hunch about something so I tuned in at 6PM and guess what? ANOTHER special, this time hosted by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis! But I'll do the Naomi Campbell one first.

Naomi Campbell
  • Don't Stop Til You Get Enough – She was nine years old when this came out, and saved up money to buy this. Liked the large image of Michael on the inside of the album that you saw when you opened it up.
  • It's the Falling in Love – No special notes on this one.
  • Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' – Naomi was 12 when this came out, and says they used to do many dance rehearsals to this song.
  • Thriller – Will go down in time as the one of the best videos of all time. She stayed up until midnight to see this, and that no one had seen anything like this before.
  • Human Nature – A beautiful ballad. Quincy Jones and Michael were an amazing duo that made history that will never be repeated. It's so hard to pick only ten songs!
  • Lady in My Life – Another beautiful ballad that was wonderfully executed by Michael and Quincy.
  • Bad – Great video, says Martin Scorsese is one of her favorite directors. Loved the shots of New York and the graffiti artwork. Thought it was amazing that America had all that stuff!
  • Man in the Mirror – Uplifting, heartfelt song, loves how it just rises. We all have to look in that mirror. Michael nailed it with this one.
  • Leave Me Alone – Loves the lyrics and video. Michael was a phenomenon and so she often wondered who he was singing this song to.
  • In the Closet – It was a special moment for her to work for him and put her vocals into the intro of the video for this song. Michael is a professional she looked up to as a child and being able to work with him and Herb Ritts is something she'll never forget.
  • Naomi hopes you enjoyed her playlist and thanks everyone for listening.

Decent playlist. Naomi was straight and to the point on this.

Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis
With all these sudden specials I have to wonder how many of these I missed... >.> Too late now! Be warned, this is kinda long, because these two talked a LOT. Tried to summarize as best I could.

• Both are at home doing quarantine. They're broadcasting from their offices and are here to talk about the King, or as they say it, KANG!
  • I Want You Back – First thing comes to mind about Michael is hearing him for the very first time. Jimmy Jam's first time was when he was in fourth grade and someone brought in a vinyl single of this song. He was looking at the Motown label on the record and was like “who is this?”. Lewis says its a soundtrack of life and Jam agrees; you remember the tastes, smells, and the friends you were with when you hear this song or certain songs. Talks about how the J5's first album was called “Diana Ross presents the Jackson 5”; it was a big deal for her to introduce them because it gave them credibility. Lewis says she was the Beyonce of her time. Jam recalls interviewing Barry Gordy and how he says there was backlash because people thought she discovered them but she actually didn't. Lewis says how amazing it was to hear this because no one had ever heard a kid sing like that before, and Jam (who was a kid when this came out) was like “there's someone my age doing that”? Lewis recalls watching them on TV, and how there was no streaming or VCRs back then so you had to run home to watch something because reruns or recording were not a thing. You also didn't call someone on the phone or answer the phone when the Jackson 5 were on, either. Whatever experience you got with Michael at the time was heightened. Jam also talked about The Corporation for a bit, how they wrote this song and three other J5 songs that went to number one.
  • Maybe Tomorrow – Jam loved the arrangements on this, especially the end of the song and how it went through different modulations/keys each time. Says Michael's voice had a maturity and sophistication to it. Lewis says this was the first song where he was able to tell the Jackson brothers apart by their voices and recognize each of their individual talents. When you're young the musicality goes over your head, but you remember the feelings you get from listening to it.
  • I Wanna Be Where You Are – Says MJ solo record was inevitable. Talks about how this was written by Arthur “T-Boy” Ross (Diana Ross's brother, as we learned previously) and Leon Ware (who wrote stuff for Marvin Gaye's “I Want You” album). The notes go to places you didn't think they would go. They go on for a bit about how some jazz player (missed the name) had to play all these different notes before hitting the right note. Jam brings up how ear-catching the intro is (how true!).
  • Looking Through the Windows – When Jimmy used to play drums, he would put this on as his “drum-playing song”. There's all kinds of drumming on this arrangement that he loves. After the song they bring up how people should wear masks and how Michael used to wear masks, but people thought he was crazy for doing so. He knew what was up! He went to the Mall of America disguised in a burqa. It was helped keep him warm! And the disguises allowed him to talk to people in a way that made him feel more comfortable.
  • Get It Together – Brings up Dancing Machine and how it was one of their last popular songs at Motown, but they wanna do something different here. Since DM likely gets played a lot on the channel anyway, they're gonna play something different! Afterwards they talk about Prince and Michael, how it was an honor to work for both of them, and how both were inspired by Sly and the Family Stone. Both had their strengths; Michael was a singer, conceptualizer, artist (I think that's all the terms they used, and Prince had all that but was a musician too. Prince would get a song done in a day and Michael would say “we need to challenge ourselves”. Both had different methods but turned out great songs in the end, and it's sad they're both gone. Lewis said music was their lives; they didn't have to sell shoes or insurance. They are and were music. They go on for a bit about Quincy too.
  • Show You the Way to Go – This is where they go from Motown era to Gamble and Huff/Philadelphia International Records/Epic Records era. They want to play the best from that era and this is one of the best (and I'm so glad they played this... this really is an amazing, underrated song).
  • Don't Stop Til You Get Enough – The first true single from the Quincy Jones era. It doesn't get any better than that era (debatable, but ok). Jam recalls sneaking into clubs to hear this song. Greg Phillinganes played keyboard bass and the muted clavenet on this song. Lewis said this was the song that solidified Michael and is where he sat down on his throne as king and said “I'm not getting back up”. Jam talked to Phillinganes and he said Michael came up with one part of the muted clavenet thing and Philliganes came up with the other half and combined them together. Can really hear the two halves best in stereo (which you SHOULD be listening to this in!). The ending of this makes you want to go back to to beginning of the song, and the end of this kind of sounds like the beginning, too. More praise for Quincy, as well as for Rod Temperton and the production, engineering, etc on the album.
  • Off the Wall – This song planted the seed for the future collaborations with Michael, Quincy and Rod Temperton on the Thriller album. They don't deny the importance of Thriller but to both of them the Off the Wall album is the definitive Michael album. This introduced everyone to the new Michael.
  • Heartbreak Hotel/This Place Hotel – After OTW was a hit, it was time for the Jacksons to get back together, and this is what they came out with. Jam loves the tempo and the dramatic ending, says this song was just a groove. Lewis loves the melody and the spooky voices. They bring up Greg Philliganes and Quincy Jones again; Greg was part of Quincy's dream time. Like with the Jacksons playlist they bring up the name change; Jam heard it was to avoid confusion with Elvis's song of the same name, but Lewis thinks there's no way you can confuse the two so he doesn't get why they had to change the name. Though if Elvis had done this version of the song it still would have been a hit! They're not clear on the story, but Jam thinks the true story is out there and he just doesn't know; he suggests contacting Questlove.
  • Scream – They're being biased here because they worked on this one! They challenged themselves to come up with this song. Jam recalls meeting Michael; he was calm, cool and wearing lots of jingle/jangly stuff. Jam was concerned about that stuff being picked up on the mic but as Lewis says, you can't tell Michael what to wear! He goes into the booth (still calm) to record his vocals, the song comes on, and Michael transformed into full performance mode. Dancing, clapping, shoes spinning, snaps.. all of it! Jam compares Michael to the Tazmanian Devil. Jam and Lewis were in shock; Lewis screamed like a little girl and was in fanboy mode! When the song ended, Michael got all calm again and said “how was that?” and they were like “uh... oh yeah that was good!”. Michael offered to do more takes, and at that point Janet told J&L “I'll do my vocals in Minneapolis”; she wanted no part of that studio after Michael killed it! Michael did multiple, great takes of the song. They later did Janet's vocals in Minneapolis, and sent those vocals to Michael. After listening to them he said “it says it sound reaaaaaly good. Where did she record that?”. When they told him, he wanted to go to Minneapolis and re-record his vocals there! He did, but they used maybe 90% New York vocals and 10% Minneapolis vocals on the final song. Before finally going into the song, they bring up the Prince/Michel/Sly and the Family Stone thing again, and Janet's Rhythm Nation album. Prince lost his mind when he heard Rhythm Nation, and Michael loved that album too and was inspired by it for future songs. Jam brings up the Scream Louder remix, and how that remix was a tribute to Sly and the Family Stone and Michael's older stuff (appropriate since this was the HIStory album). He makes it sound like they're going to play the remix but they played the regular version instead so... I dunno what happened there lol. Janet and Michael on the same record was historical and irreplaceable.
  • Jam said it was a pleasure going down memory lane with Michael's music. Lewis says he's not the King of Pop, he's just the KANG! Prince is a KANG too, but he's king of his own kingdom, and Michael is the king of his own kingdom. They've gone into overtime on this so they have to go, but they appreciate everyone listening.

This was great! Loved how they focused on lesser-known Jackson 5/Jacksons stuff. They did seem to ramble a bit on the historical and technical aspects of the songs a bit, but it was worth it, especially the story about Scream! Plus it's pretty cool to hear how passionate they are about music history and production.

thanks once again, @amaya for taking the time to make such detailed posts :)

'destiny' was actually a single in the uk. it wasn't a hit though.. if I remember correctly, the album credited the jacksons as a whole as writers of all the songs. Michael already stated in an old interview that the title song was about him. however, this was my first time hearing which brothers in particular were involved in the process.

naomi campbell's playlist covered a decent amount of ground.

I thought jam & lewis were going in chronological order until their large jump after 'heartbreak hotel'.. glad that my favourite j5 song 'looking through the windows' made the list :)

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was more to come. maybe they could be made available to download? either way, I've enjoyed reading these so far :)

Wow, did you take a day off to write all of this down? :D
Thank you!

You're welcome, hehe. I didn't have to take the day off, amazingly. Was able to get it all done last night.

Alas, it seems when they said the channel ended on the 14th, they meant it would end it on that day and not later in the day... I just tuned in (in case they had another special) and the channel is gone. :( Well, was fun while it lasted. Hopefully XM takes those requests to make the channel permanent seriously and looks into doing so.

Now I'm faced with a daunting task: having to find other shit to listen to before my trial ends. XD

Amaya;4300910 said:
Speaking of surprise playlist specials, I had a hunch about something so I tuned in at 6PM and guess what? ANOTHER special, this time hosted by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis! But I'll do the Naomi Campbell one first.

Naomi Campbell
  • Don't Stop Til You Get Enough &#8211; She was nine years old when this came out, and saved up money to buy this. Liked the large image of Michael on the inside of the album that you saw when you opened it up.
  • It's the Falling in Love &#8211; No special notes on this one.
  • Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' &#8211; Naomi was 12 when this came out, and says they used to do many dance rehearsals to this song.
  • Thriller &#8211; Will go down in time as the one of the best videos of all time. She stayed up until midnight to see this, and that no one had seen anything like this before.
  • Human Nature &#8211; A beautiful ballad. Quincy Jones and Michael were an amazing duo that made history that will never be repeated. It's so hard to pick only ten songs!
  • Lady in My Life &#8211; Another beautiful ballad that was wonderfully executed by Michael and Quincy.
  • Bad &#8211; Great video, says Martin Scorsese is one of her favorite directors. Loved the shots of New York and the graffiti artwork. Thought it was amazing that America had all that stuff!
  • Man in the Mirror &#8211; Uplifting, heartfelt song, loves how it just rises. We all have to look in that mirror. Michael nailed it with this one.
  • Leave Me Alone &#8211; Loves the lyrics and video. Michael was a phenomenon and so she often wondered who he was singing this song to.
  • In the Closet &#8211; It was a special moment for her to work for him and put her vocals into the intro of the video for this song. Michael is a professional she looked up to as a child and being able to work with him and Herb Ritts is something she'll never forget.
  • Naomi hopes you enjoyed her playlist and thanks everyone for listening.

Great playlist by Naomi.

Amaya;4300910 said:
Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis
With all these sudden specials I have to wonder how many of these I missed... >.> Too late now! Be warned, this is kinda long, because these two talked a LOT. Tried to summarize as best I could.

• Both are at home doing quarantine. They're broadcasting from their offices and are here to talk about the King, or as they say it, KANG!
  • I Want You Back &#8211; First thing comes to mind about Michael is hearing him for the very first time. Jimmy Jam's first time was when he was in fourth grade and someone brought in a vinyl single of this song. He was looking at the Motown label on the record and was like &#8220;who is this?&#8221;. Lewis says its a soundtrack of life and Jam agrees; you remember the tastes, smells, and the friends you were with when you hear this song or certain songs. Talks about how the J5's first album was called &#8220;Diana Ross presents the Jackson 5&#8221;; it was a big deal for her to introduce them because it gave them credibility. Lewis says she was the Beyonce of her time. Jam recalls interviewing Barry Gordy and how he says there was backlash because people thought she discovered them but she actually didn't. Lewis says how amazing it was to hear this because no one had ever heard a kid sing like that before, and Jam (who was a kid when this came out) was like &#8220;there's someone my age doing that&#8221;? Lewis recalls watching them on TV, and how there was no streaming or VCRs back then so you had to run home to watch something because reruns or recording were not a thing. You also didn't call someone on the phone or answer the phone when the Jackson 5 were on, either. Whatever experience you got with Michael at the time was heightened. Jam also talked about The Corporation for a bit, how they wrote this song and three other J5 songs that went to number one.
  • Maybe Tomorrow &#8211; Jam loved the arrangements on this, especially the end of the song and how it went through different modulations/keys each time. Says Michael's voice had a maturity and sophistication to it. Lewis says this was the first song where he was able to tell the Jackson brothers apart by their voices and recognize each of their individual talents. When you're young the musicality goes over your head, but you remember the feelings you get from listening to it.
  • I Wanna Be Where You Are &#8211; Says MJ solo record was inevitable. Talks about how this was written by Arthur &#8220;T-Boy&#8221; Ross (Diana Ross's brother, as we learned previously) and Leon Ware (who wrote stuff for Marvin Gaye's &#8220;I Want You&#8221; album). The notes go to places you didn't think they would go. They go on for a bit about how some jazz player (missed the name) had to play all these different notes before hitting the right note. Jam brings up how ear-catching the intro is (how true!).
  • Looking Through the Windows &#8211; When Jimmy used to play drums, he would put this on as his &#8220;drum-playing song&#8221;. There's all kinds of drumming on this arrangement that he loves. After the song they bring up how people should wear masks and how Michael used to wear masks, but people thought he was crazy for doing so. He knew what was up! He went to the Mall of America disguised in a burqa. It was helped keep him warm! And the disguises allowed him to talk to people in a way that made him feel more comfortable.
  • Get It Together &#8211; Brings up Dancing Machine and how it was one of their last popular songs at Motown, but they wanna do something different here. Since DM likely gets played a lot on the channel anyway, they're gonna play something different! Afterwards they talk about Prince and Michael, how it was an honor to work for both of them, and how both were inspired by Sly and the Family Stone. Both had their strengths; Michael was a singer, conceptualizer, artist (I think that's all the terms they used, and Prince had all that but was a musician too. Prince would get a song done in a day and Michael would say &#8220;we need to challenge ourselves&#8221;. Both had different methods but turned out great songs in the end, and it's sad they're both gone. Lewis said music was their lives; they didn't have to sell shoes or insurance. They are and were music. They go on for a bit about Quincy too.
  • Show You the Way to Go &#8211; This is where they go from Motown era to Gamble and Huff/Philadelphia International Records/Epic Records era. They want to play the best from that era and this is one of the best (and I'm so glad they played this... this really is an amazing, underrated song).
  • Don't Stop Til You Get Enough &#8211; The first true single from the Quincy Jones era. It doesn't get any better than that era (debatable, but ok). Jam recalls sneaking into clubs to hear this song. Greg Phillinganes played keyboard bass and the muted clavenet on this song. Lewis said this was the song that solidified Michael and is where he sat down on his throne as king and said &#8220;I'm not getting back up&#8221;. Jam talked to Phillinganes and he said Michael came up with one part of the muted clavenet thing and Philliganes came up with the other half and combined them together. Can really hear the two halves best in stereo (which you SHOULD be listening to this in!). The ending of this makes you want to go back to to beginning of the song, and the end of this kind of sounds like the beginning, too. More praise for Quincy, as well as for Rod Temperton and the production, engineering, etc on the album.
  • Off the Wall &#8211; This song planted the seed for the future collaborations with Michael, Quincy and Rod Temperton on the Thriller album. They don't deny the importance of Thriller but to both of them the Off the Wall album is the definitive Michael album. This introduced everyone to the new Michael.
  • Heartbreak Hotel/This Place Hotel &#8211; After OTW was a hit, it was time for the Jacksons to get back together, and this is what they came out with. Jam loves the tempo and the dramatic ending, says this song was just a groove. Lewis loves the melody and the spooky voices. They bring up Greg Philliganes and Quincy Jones again; Greg was part of Quincy's dream time. Like with the Jacksons playlist they bring up the name change; Jam heard it was to avoid confusion with Elvis's song of the same name, but Lewis thinks there's no way you can confuse the two so he doesn't get why they had to change the name. Though if Elvis had done this version of the song it still would have been a hit! They're not clear on the story, but Jam thinks the true story is out there and he just doesn't know; he suggests contacting Questlove.
  • Scream &#8211; They're being biased here because they worked on this one! They challenged themselves to come up with this song. Jam recalls meeting Michael; he was calm, cool and wearing lots of jingle/jangly stuff. Jam was concerned about that stuff being picked up on the mic but as Lewis says, you can't tell Michael what to wear! He goes into the booth (still calm) to record his vocals, the song comes on, and Michael transformed into full performance mode. Dancing, clapping, shoes spinning, snaps.. all of it! Jam compares Michael to the Tazmanian Devil. Jam and Lewis were in shock; Lewis screamed like a little girl and was in fanboy mode! When the song ended, Michael got all calm again and said &#8220;how was that?&#8221; and they were like &#8220;uh... oh yeah that was good!&#8221;. Michael offered to do more takes, and at that point Janet told J&L &#8220;I'll do my vocals in Minneapolis&#8221;; she wanted no part of that studio after Michael killed it! Michael did multiple, great takes of the song. They later did Janet's vocals in Minneapolis, and sent those vocals to Michael. After listening to them he said &#8220;it says it sound reaaaaaly good. Where did she record that?&#8221;. When they told him, he wanted to go to Minneapolis and re-record his vocals there! He did, but they used maybe 90% New York vocals and 10% Minneapolis vocals on the final song. Before finally going into the song, they bring up the Prince/Michel/Sly and the Family Stone thing again, and Janet's Rhythm Nation album. Prince lost his mind when he heard Rhythm Nation, and Michael loved that album too and was inspired by it for future songs. Jam brings up the Scream Louder remix, and how that remix was a tribute to Sly and the Family Stone and Michael's older stuff (appropriate since this was the HIStory album). He makes it sound like they're going to play the remix but they played the regular version instead so... I dunno what happened there lol. Janet and Michael on the same record was historical and irreplaceable.
  • Jam said it was a pleasure going down memory lane with Michael's music. Lewis says he's not the King of Pop, he's just the KANG! Prince is a KANG too, but he's king of his own kingdom, and Michael is the king of his own kingdom. They've gone into overtime on this so they have to go, but they appreciate everyone listening.

Great playlist by jimmy jam and terry lewis

This probably gonna be my last post on this. i wanna say that this was an awesome idea and i hope the estate think about making a permeant michael jackson channel in the future.

my only problem with it was the same songs playing over again. if they ever plan to make it permanent in the future they need to add some more unheard/rare songs to the channel.

other then that i give this 4 stars.

also thank you Amaya for giving us each playlist and hosts.

This probably gonna be my last post on this. i wanna say that this was an awesome idea and i hope the estate think about making a permeant michael jackson channel in the future.

my only problem with it was the same songs playing over again. if they ever plan to make it permanent in the future they need to add some more unheard/rare songs to the channel.

other then that i give this 4 stars.

also thank you Amaya for giving us each playlist and hosts.

You're welcome! I was glad to do it. :)

I do agree that more songs would be welcome. I wish they played the original versions of the songs from Xscape, for example (although I believe I heard the original Slave to the Rhythm at least once). They seemed to play a lot of "artists that inspired Michael/artists inspired by Michael" stuff too which, while cool (and also a good PR move), don't know if that would work on a permanent basis. Or maybe that's how it is with these channels, don't know. I should check out the Elvis channel they have and see if they do the same thing.

If they bring the channel back I'd like to see more specials, too. Maybe have Snoop Dogg, Lady Gaga, or Brad Sundberg host an episode. Maybe a prominent fan like Jenny Winings, Danny Wu or Razorfist could host sometime too.

If they bring the channel back I'd like to see more specials, too. Maybe have Snoop Dogg, Lady Gaga, or Brad Sundberg host an episode. Maybe a prominent fan like Jenny Winings, Danny Wu or Razorfist could host sometime too.

Agree

the Jackson brothers (Jackie, tito, and marlon) 'king of pop' playlist on siriusxm, has been uploaded :sarmoti this is the one I wanted to hear the most - alongside verdine white. will listen later :)
this one is from big boi and sleepy brown. didn't know they did one... haven't listened to it all yet, but they're off to a good start with 'p.y.t' :)

the Jackson brothers (Jackie, tito, and marlon) 'king of pop' playlist on siriusxm, has been uploaded :sarmoti this is the one I wanted to hear the most - alongside verdine white. will listen later :)
this one is from big boi and sleepy brown. didn't know they did one... haven't listened to it all yet, but they're off to a good start with 'p.y.t' :)

Was curious if anyone was going to upload these. Pretty ballsy given how SiriusXM is a premium service and likely doesn't want their stuff getting out for free lol.
Didn't know about the Big Boi and Sleepy Brown one either... must've been one they slipped in last minute with the others. I'll have to check it out later.

Side note: I checked out the Elvis channel. They play alternate takes AND have an on-demand series of full concerts. If this channel comes back full-time the Estate needs to take notes!

I just listened to these, and unfortunately, they're incomplete. the jacksons playlist ends during 'rock with you'. the big boi and sleepy brown one ends during 'billie jean', the second song :O

regarding the jacksons; I didn't know they sang backgrounds on 'I wanna be where you are'. obviously they performed it as a group back then. 'heartbreak hotel' is more of a Michael song to me. the brothers don't actually sing on that. even though tito and randy play. I agree that a video for that would have been interesting..they actually played the 8 minute version of 'shake your body' :O great to hear my fav 'startin' somethin' receiving some love - especially for the message :) maybe because i'm so used to listening to music on my cassette radio, that the songs sounded slow and low pitched to me. were they in mono as well??

big boi and sleepy brown didn't have that problem. their audio was crystal clear. though they do wrongly attribute 'p.y.t' to rod temperton though..

i'd be interested in knowing how these guests are selected, or if they just volunteer. I thought they had to have some kind of connection to Michael. i'm trying to think of who I would have liked to feature.. oh well, it's over. for now..

Many of the decisions made by the Estate are rooted in Michael&#8217;s philosophies. He has said that, &#8220;If Haley&#8217;s Comet passed over once a month, no one would to look at it.&#8221; The Estate doesn&#8217;t want Michael to be permanently on a car radio or on an app where people are jumping from Elvis to Bruce Springsteen. Michael is special. The Estate has licensed SiriusXM three times in the last 11 years and, when appropriate, would consider doing so again. Most recently, a temporary channel was launched on July 15, 2020 as a way of offering something special during these difficult times and great care was taken in programming the channel to include not only Michael&#8217;s big hits but other songs that would be appreciated by his fans as well as songs by people who might have influenced Michael, and people who Michael might have influenced. Working with SiriusXM, special playlists were also created for the channel by people who knew Michael, as well as by artists who were influenced by him (and are big fans as well). And rather than a typical voiceover artist, the voice of the channel is also someone who knew Michael for many years, Steven Ivory, who shared a very special playlist on the channel that speaks to the current times in the world. While it may not have been available to everyone around the globe, it is hoped that those who were able to listen, enjoyed it.

https://www.michaeljackson.com/michael-jackson-faq/

NatureCriminal7896;4301651 said:
Many of the decisions made by the Estate are rooted in Michael&#8217;s philosophies. He has said that, &#8220;If Haley&#8217;s Comet passed over once a month, no one would to look at it.&#8221; The Estate doesn&#8217;t want Michael to be permanently on a car radio or on an app where people are jumping from Elvis to Bruce Springsteen. Michael is special. The Estate has licensed SiriusXM three times in the last 11 years and, when appropriate, would consider doing so again. Most recently, a temporary channel was launched on July 15, 2020 as a way of offering something special during these difficult times and great care was taken in programming the channel to include not only Michael&#8217;s big hits but other songs that would be appreciated by his fans as well as songs by people who might have influenced Michael, and people who Michael might have influenced. Working with SiriusXM, special playlists were also created for the channel by people who knew Michael, as well as by artists who were influenced by him (and are big fans as well). And rather than a typical voiceover artist, the voice of the channel is also someone who knew Michael for many years, Steven Ivory, who shared a very special playlist on the channel that speaks to the current times in the world. While it may not have been available to everyone around the globe, it is hoped that those who were able to listen, enjoyed it.

https://www.michaeljackson.com/michael-jackson-faq/

so we may get it again in the future. i loved steven ivory playlist. also where people are jumping from Elvis to Bruce Springsteen. Michael is special? LMBO! Michael was/is special but he is on many apps with people is jumping from Elvis to Bruce Springsteen. god help this estate.

Back