The MJ Estate Has Updated the FAQ Page on the Official Website

Taj said that family do care about Michael and his legacy they just not on social media everyday defending him etc. i do think the family do need to take over the estate. i mean they don't need to be involved 24 hours but they do need to be involved. Michael really didn't want any family touching his stuff. so i doubt he would want that.

while his kids has a life on their own, i do think they should support their father more. i know they have their own lives but that's their father. i know it's hard being a child to one of the most famous person in the world especially with trolls, haters, etc.

i remember Michael said he didn't really want his kids to be involved in that because he wanted them to see him as a dad not a superstar which i agree but they need to still keep his legacy going though....

Last edited:
Prince

i do think the family do need to take over the estate. i mean they don't need to be involved 24 hours but they do need to be involved. Michael really didn't want any family touching his stuff. so i doubt he would want that.
It doesn't really matter what a dead person wants. They aren't around to benefit from it. Prince didn't want his music on Youtube or on other streaming sites (other than Tidal). Prince hired Web Sheriff to keep his stuff off of streaming sites and other sites like Facebook. Yet after Prince died, his music videos got uploaded to Youtube.

Why should the family or Mike's children get involved with his business? Julian Lennon has nothing to do with John Lennon's business. They're not business people anyway, they're entertainers. That's why most entertainers have managers, agents, concert promoters, & record companies to do the business part. That's also how artists get ripped off because they sign contracts that they don't understand, because they're written that way on purpose to benefit the record label, not the artist.

Re: Prince

It doesn't really matter what a dead person wants. They aren't around to benefit from it. Prince didn't want his music on Youtube or on other streaming sites (other than Tidal). Prince hired Web Sheriff to keep his stuff off of streaming sites and other sites like Facebook. Yet after Prince died, his music videos got uploaded to Youtube.

Why should the family or Mike's children get involved with his business? Julian Lennon has nothing to do with John Lennon's business. They're not business people anyway, they're entertainers. That's why most entertainers have managers, agents, concert promoters, & record companies to do the business part. That's also how artists get ripped off because they sign contracts that they don't understand, because they're written that way on purpose to benefit the record label, not the artist.

I didn't say they shouldn't i said one they have lives on their own. so they can't always be involved every 24 hours. two true michael isn't with us anymore but that still doesn't mean he wouldn't want somethings bother with. nobody can't do it like michael did. also when he was alive the family did treated him like a bank account etc.

Jacksons

also when he was alive the family did treated him like a bank account etc.
Whether or not if that's true, it has nothing to do with right now. Or whether the siblings can run a business. I think Marlon owns/owned a Christian TV network, so he might be more qualified than some of the others. The brothers don't even seem to be that interested in doing anything with the group albums or video footage. The media doesn't even ask them about their music in interviews, except maybe Questlove. He interviewed Tito & Randy. They're always asked about Mike. Many of Jermaine's albums are out of print, but LaToya has deluxe remastered double CDs of some of hers and her records were probably the least successful when they were originally out. The last Jacksons album came out 31 years ago. So I'm not sure how they're going to promote Mike's stuff.

Anyway whoever is going to run the estate isn't doing it as unpaid volunteer work. They're going to get money for themselves. Who's going to be running the estate 100 years from now when all around now, including Mike's kids, will be gone? Future Jackson generations might not be in charge or even want to do it. There's been family businesses that have been sold off by children who were not interested in running them.

Well that's sucks. i guess we can only pray for michael estate and legacy. his legacy will live on regards the estate but kind of unfair for him while we was/still is one of the most famous artist in the world while other artists who was around him during their time too getting a better treatment then his estate.

not downing other artists but it is unfair though smh. poor mike.

public domain

Well that's sucks. i guess we can only pray for michael estate and legacy. his legacy will live on regards the estate but kind of unfair for him while we was/still is one of the most famous artist in the world while other artists who was around him during their time too getting a better treatment then his estate.

not downing other artists but it is unfair though smh. poor mike.
Eventually, it's all gonna be public domain anyway. Not just Mike's music, but all entertainment. Once it's public domain anybody can do anything they want with it. The 1st Mickey Mouse cartoon is supposed to go public domain around 3 or 4 years from now. But Disney is probably going to try to stop that from happening by trying to get the law changed. Mickey won't be PD himself because he's a trademark. That's partly how Walt Disney became popular in the first place. Disney would get old public domain stories like Sleeping Beauty to make movies so he wouldn't have to pay anything or get permission to use them. He'd change the stories, clean them up. In the original Pinocchio story, he's a really bad evil brat. :laughing: Not much that happens in the story is in the Disney movie.

Not counting the J5/Jacksons years, Mike released very few albums compared to other popular artists. After Victory, there's only 4 albums in a 24 year period (1985-2009). There's 6 solo albums staring with Off The Wall. 7 if you count the ET Storybook. Not much to choose from for reissues. There's also the case that because Mike's albums sold so well, particularly Thriller & Bad many people already own the albums. The used records/cds/tapes of his stuff can be found easy & cheap too, in used record stores, thrift stores, and online. It's not like they're rare & hard to find. So what would really be the incentive to buy a reissue or a anniversary version? Maybe put them in a fancy box or release them on colored vinyl, but mainly collectors would buy that. The general public is not interested in it. Remasters don't really make a difference because a lot of people listen to MP3s or streams on their phones. If it's brickwalled, you'd do better by buying the original release if you're interested in sound quality.

Taj said that family do care about Michael and his legacy they just not on social media everyday defending him etc. i do think the family do need to take over the estate. i mean they don't need to be involved 24 hours but they do need to be involved. Michael really didn't want any family touching his stuff. so i doubt he would want that.

while his kids has a life on their own, i do think they should support their father more. i know they have their own lives but that's their father. i know it's hard being a child to one of the most famous person in the world especially with trolls, haters, etc.

You contradicted yourself within the same paragraph. You said the family should take over the Estate and then you said that Michael didn't want them involved in his affairs. (??) The latter is definitely true, which is why Michael appointed other executors and named only his mother and children as beneficiaries. Extended family members are absolutely the wrong people to be in charge of the MJ Estate, in my opinion. They'd have it all sold off and run into the ground, by now....judging by the way specific individuals have run their own affairs, over the years.

As far as the kids supporting their father more....well.....there's only so much they can do. They are finding their own way in a difficult world and have their own dreams and aspirations to follow. Michael wanted that for them - he wanted them to make their own way in life and to be happy. MJ was a once in a lifetime phenomenon - it's unrealistic and unfair to expect that to repeat, through his children, because it just will not happen.

mj_frenzy;4302964 said:
The Estate's statement (from their FAQ Page) that “And even among the fans, we see disagreement on whether unreleased material should be finished to make them commercially viable or not" shows that they visit and read fans’ comments posted here on MJJCommunity, because there have been a lot of fans’ disagreements here about that matter.

At least, the Estate takes very seriously and utilizes feedback that comes from fans, which is a good thing.

I'm not convinced that Estate representatives are hanging out on MJJC. Lmao. A high percentage of threads and comments on here are anti-Estate, so if they were here, it probably wouldn't be for long. I would think that Twitter/Instagram would be the place for the Estate to find out what fans are talking about and what they think, about various issues.....let's not forget that fans also tap into the official site and send e-mails to Alicia.

Re: public domain

Eventually, it's all gonna be public domain anyway. Not just Mike's music, but all entertainment. Once it's public domain anybody can do anything they want with it. The 1st Mickey Mouse cartoon is supposed to go public domain around 3 or 4 years from now. But Disney is probably going to try to stop that from happening by trying to get the law changed. Mickey won't be PD himself because he's a trademark. That's partly how Walt Disney became popular in the first place. Disney would get old public domain stories like Sleeping Beauty to make movies so he wouldn't have to pay anything or get permission to use them. He'd change the stories, clean them up. In the original Pinocchio story, he's a really bad evil brat. :laughing: Not much that happens in the story is in the Disney movie.

I agree but hasn't been 100 years yet. like you said that's only if there's not another law involved.

Well somebody gonna have to get involved his estate because the people who running it now not doing a good job to some people. i know michael didn't want family involved but i feel at this point who else we got? we have fans who wanna be involved but for some reason they don't want them. i mean come on they can make much money then they have. i don't get it.

i'm not expecting his kids to be like michael. i'm not one those fans who thinks their should because at the end of the day their adults. i might not agree with everything they say or do heck Michael probably wouldn't agree everything they do and say they probably don't agree with everything he said and did. i don't agree on everything michael said and did.

i just want them to support their father. not all the time. but ever now and then.

Let’s just let MJJC run the Estate. The job can pay well, considering Gaz is having some monetary issues :D

p.s. I wish you the best Gaz and kudos to the patrons helping to keep this site alive! :kickass:

Personally, I’m not worried about Michael’s legacy at all. Long before the internet, his music and message has traveled to the most remote corners of the world, where you don’t just walk into a store to buy the shiny new album fresh off the shelf. I truly believe that even if civilization as we know it today would cease to exist, people would sit at the campfire while someone’s playing Heal the World on a kalimba.

The Estate on the other hand is a business, and MJ is their brand. When the current team retires, someone else will be appointed to run it, and it absolutely has to be someone capable of running a business of these dimensions. I haven’t heard of any of Michael’s children studying business administration, so I really don’t think they’re interested in that kind of position.

(Without reading anything previous to me writting this....) im sitting here watching that panda mashup & noticed the estate never mentioned ghost in that faq although when thriller 4k 2017 came about they mentioned that it was already restored....whats your thoughts on that?

Re: Jacksons

Whether or not if that's true, it has nothing to do with right now. Or whether the siblings can run a business. I think Marlon owns/owned a Christian TV network, so he might be more qualified than some of the others. The brothers don't even seem to be that interested in doing anything with the group albums or video footage. The media doesn't even ask them about their music in interviews, except maybe Questlove. He interviewed Tito & Randy. They're always asked about Mike. Many of Jermaine's albums are out of print, but LaToya has deluxe remastered double CDs of some of hers and her records were probably the least successful when they were originally out. The last Jacksons album came out 31 years ago. So I'm not sure how they're going to promote Mike's stuff.

Anyway whoever is going to run the estate isn't doing it as unpaid volunteer work. They're going to get money for themselves. Who's going to be running the estate 100 years from now when all around now, including Mike's kids, will be gone? Future Jackson generations might not be in charge or even want to do it. There's been family businesses that have been sold off by children who were not interested in running them.
I have a very errie feeling that the day prince,paris or blanket has a child....Michael's grandchildren will be just like us in this forum & take over the estate once they realize the family they are in...i can feel it. Even if im not here to see it happen....remember I said it!

That's only if they wanna have kids. right now their still young, having a life on their own and finding their careers. if they do have kids we don't know would they wanna be involved because even grandkids don't wanna always be apart of something.

but they do need to keep the bloodline going. i'm not pushing them just saying....

(Without reading anything previous to me writting this....) im sitting here watching that panda mashup & noticed the estate never mentioned ghost in that faq although when thriller 4k 2017 came about they mentioned that it was already restored....whats your thoughts on that?

They probably have it but haven't release it because of some unknown reason.(????)

I agree that the Michael Jackson estate is doing what Michael would do, I'd even say I prefer the Michael Jackson estate which doesn't release stuff every month like you said in this thread just to give what fans want. Also on behalf of pressed stans saying "MJ ESTATE RELEASE SOMETHING YOU TOTALLY HAVE SOME MAGIC VAULT WITH MILLIONS OF SONGS!!!! BE LIKE PRINCE ESTATE". First of all Prince didn't do demos like Michael, he completed every song that he did meanwhile the majority of Michael's vault is mumbling over a instrumental. XSCAPE and The Ultimate Collection were enough for me. Also the estate does not have film negatives for concerts. Those film reels are probably lost in time or in a collector's possesion.

Also the estate does not have film negatives for concerts. Those film reels are probably lost in time or in a collector's possesion.

It doesn't have to be a film release. I bet they have plenty of concert tapes for HQ release, but they did almost nothing.

I agree that the Michael Jackson estate is doing what Michael would do, I'd even say I prefer the Michael Jackson estate which doesn't release stuff every month like you said in this thread just to give what fans want. Also on behalf of pressed stans saying "MJ ESTATE RELEASE SOMETHING YOU TOTALLY HAVE SOME MAGIC VAULT WITH MILLIONS OF SONGS!!!! BE LIKE PRINCE ESTATE". First of all Prince didn't do demos like Michael, he completed every song that he did meanwhile the majority of Michael's vault is mumbling over a instrumental. XSCAPE and The Ultimate Collection were enough for me. Also the estate does not have film negatives for concerts. Those film reels are probably lost in time or in a collector's possesion.
Whatever lies in the vault cannot just simply be left to rot with time, now can it? We are not asking for a new release every month. In fact, that would not work out, due to inadequate time to create, promote, the whole process. However, it does not hurt to put out re-releases or special editions to celebrate anniversaries of Michael's albums on specific years that mark specific anniversaries of the release of these albums. Bad 25 was in 2012, Dangerous 25 could have been in 2016, and HIStory 25 could be this year, for example. To extend the time gap, Dangerous 30 could be next year, as well as Invincible 20. I understand that anniversaries of these albums may not be commercially successful due to their notability not being as strong as, say, the Thriller album. But that is the benefit of it. The less mainstream they are, the more that people may be curious to purchase a special anniversary edition, and also realize that Thriller and Bad were not the only solo albums Michael produced in his lifetime, which in turn can flood the Estate's bank account. I feel that celebrating the anniversaries of Michael's less prominent albums could bring more attention to them so they are no longer less prominent, or at least not as less prominent as before.

As a matter of fact, a petition has been started for the Estate to release one Bad World Tour concert on film or HQ. Just one, not all the shows. The last official concert release was back in 2012 with that concert in London in celebration of Bad 25, which settled eight years ago. Eight years ago. Is it not much to ask for just one concert release after this long period of time? Given the amount of concerts from the Dangerous World Tour and HIStory World Tour coming out in recent years, people wish to see a new show from the Bad World Tour see the light of day, a wish the Estate could grant. Keyword could, not can. The type of people who first had these unreleased Dangerous and HIStory Tour shows would not budge with their Bad Tour inventory, so the Estate has the upper hand in this, because unlike these people, they can profit from it.

Oh, and some of the leaks of songs, like Throwing Your Life Away, prove that not everything in the vault is Michael mumbling lyrics over a band. There is a brief snippet I have heard from a song called "Seven Digits," which apparently was worked on during the production of the Dangerous album. There was no mumbling. There was even another small snippet of a song called "Don't Believe it," in which certainly Michael did not sound like he was mumbling.

All in all, we aren't demanding an official release every month. On grand occasions like Dangerous 25, it only feels right to want to celebrate the albums in the best ways possible, ways similar to those of Bad 25. It cannot be that much of a burden to release a concert eight years after the last one was officially put out for the world to see, can it? It hurts me to think about whatever that lies in the vault slowly rotting away into thin air, when it could have been heard or watched by many supporters, and eventually, appreciated.

Whatever lies in the vault cannot just simply be left to rot with time, now can it?

LOL. Where does this concept of it "rotting away", come from? The Estate has a curator, who catalogues, archives and oversees everything. I assume it is being properly preserved under the correct conditions, according to protocol, in the same way that any other archive of similar materials would be kept. It's probably being looked after better, now, than it was when Michael was alive, since he admitted not bothering much, himself, with that kind of thing.

LOL. Where does this concept of it "rotting away", come from? The Estate has a curator, who catalogues, archives and oversees everything. I assume it is being properly preserved under the correct conditions, according to protocol, in the same way that any other archive of similar materials would be kept. It's probably being looked after better, now, than it was when Michael was alive, since he admitted not bothering much, himself, with that kind of thing.
If this is true, then a release, or releases, has to be coming in the future because there would be no point in preserving things that will never be used later on. These are not just for decoration that is placed around the home. If they do not plan on using the stuff, they would care less if it survives or not.

If this is true, then a release, or releases, has to be coming in the future because there would be no point in preserving things that will never be used later on. These are not just for decoration that is placed around the home. If they do not plan on using the stuff, they would care less if it survives or not.

They would be seen as valuable assets by the Estate and by his beneficiaries, I would think.... much like the rest of his possessions. They don't necessarily have to be used. If Michael hadn't passed away in 2009, they'd be still sitting somewhere, untouched, like they are now.

Mj's kids are not even interested in defending their father against abuse allegations.

Let alone...in managing something as important as his own brand.

If the family Jackson, whoever they are, get involved, MJ's brand will go down as a cheap and tacky brand, because that's what the Jacksons are.
Disagree. Taj stated that he told Mjs kids that he would be the one to speak on behalf of the family and that they don't need to. They have their own lives and don't need to constantly deal with ignorant trolls trashing their dad.

Maybe not business control, but they should be allowed to give input/ideas on future releases if they choose to. I see no issue with this.

No need to hate on the jacksons.
Keep in mind, without them there would be no Michael. If the estate and family got along we might actually have a jacksons tour by now lol

If Michael hadn't passed away in 2009, they'd be still sitting somewhere, untouched, like they are now.

If Michael hadn't passed away, we could still see him live, and see his new music work, interviews, etc.

But Michael isn't with us anymore. What do we have left to expect? Most of us would just hope to see something new from his glory days, like concerts in his prime.

We don't want to watch Bucharest for the 1001st time, and we don't want to watch low-quality Bad Tour Wembley when we know there is better quality out there.

It's very reasonable to ask for something new, since there hasn't been anything really exciting from the Estate for many years. We found DWT Oslo and Copenhagen as fans, but that's as much as we fans can do. The best is still in the vault.

I don't want to wait for 20 years for something good to be released from the vault as a "historical archive". I don't want to grow old before watching Bad Tour MSG New York 1988, or any other great concerts.

If Michael hadn't passed away, we could still see him live, and see his new music work, interviews, etc.

I don't agree. I think "This Is It" was literally going to be IT. He said as much in his few words at the O2 address, in front of adoring fans.

I think he was going to semi-retire and focus on films, mentoring new talents and watching over the careers of his three children.

Don't get me wrong....I would LOVE new songs, new concerts, new MJ projects, etc......I'm just not agonising over whether they will actually happen or not and I won't be angry if they don't. I'm trying to be satisfied with what he left us and with what has been released, since he passed away. To me, anything we have had the opportunity to experience since 2009 is a bonus, because I didn't really have any expectations in the first place. When Michael died, it felt like the end of everything and it quite easily could have been - I resigned myself to it then and said goodbye (mentally) to anything new. I'm not sure I'm explaining where I'm coming from, so that others can understand my point of view on this, but I hope so.

I don't agree. I think "This Is It" was literally going to be IT. He said as much in his few words at the O2 address, in front of adoring fans.

I think he was going to semi-retire and focus on films, mentoring new talents and watching over the careers of his three children.

Don't get me wrong....I would LOVE new songs, new concerts, new MJ projects, etc......I'm just not agonising over whether they will actually happen or not and I won't be angry if they don't. I'm trying to be satisfied with what he left us and with what has been released, since he passed away. To me, anything we have had the opportunity to experience since 2009 is a bonus, because I didn't really have any expectations in the first place. When Michael died, it felt like the end of everything and it quite easily could have been - I resigned myself to it then and said goodbye (mentally) to anything new. I'm not sure I'm explaining where I'm coming from so that others can understand my point of view on this, but I hope so.

This Is It was actually going to be a much bigger thing than Michael let on, it was going to go beyond London. I don't think it would have happened myself, personally, for obvious reasons, but MJ definitely had more plans.

SmoothGangsta;4303521 said:
This Is It was actually going to be a much bigger thing than Michael let on, it was going to go beyond London. I don't think it would have happened myself, personally, for obvious reasons, but MJ definitely had more plans.

I was always wondering about this. In the announcement he said those were going to be his last performances in London. I remember back then when I heard it, I wasn’t sure if he had just phrased it inaccurately, or if he really had plans for other residencies after London. I mean, the Bad Tour was already supposed to be his last tour ever, so …

Michael use to always say every tour he did was his last. lol. he was very timed guy and didn't like touring in the first place. if michael was to made it he should of just did 10 shows. not 50.

in my opinion if Michael was still alive i think he we be doing movies, probably soundstacks, probably still making music but not releasing as much. probably not touring anymore but going to celebration concerts etc, writing a children book.

i don't think he would be dancing anymore. when Prince was alive he still toured but he didn't dance much. so i can see michael totally doing something like that.

Mikky Dee;4303520 said:
Don't get me wrong....I would LOVE new songs, new concerts, new MJ projects, etc......I'm just not agonising over whether they will actually happen or not and I won't be angry if they don't. I'm trying to be satisfied with what he left us and with what has been released, since he passed away. To me, anything we have had the opportunity to experience since 2009 is a bonus, because I didn't really have any expectations in the first place. When Michael died, it felt like the end of everything and it quite easily could have been - I resigned myself to it then and said goodbye (mentally) to anything new. I'm not sure I'm explaining where I'm coming from so that others can understand my point of view on this, but I hope so.
That’s actually not a bad perspective at all. I understand the grief that overcame fans on June 25th, 2009. Being enlightened of the death of your idol, the end of the King of Pop, really tugs at the heartstrings. No more music, no more concerts, no more speeches, no more philanthropist contributions, no more of any of that. It indeed is capable of producing emotions of gloom. However, Michael’s influence still lives on in 2020, and has been since 2009. That is the result of the Estate’s contributions (yep, I said it, the Estate has done some good things for Michael’s legacy), with the new music and whatnot, and fans’ contributions, with these new concerts and other leaks. We only want to preserve and carry on Michael’s footprint, that’s what it’s all about, and a method is wanting to watch concerts of Michael at his prime. People can watch those concerts, be impressed, and agree that the legacy Michael left should be maintained, even over a decade following June 25th. I can get behind the “make with what you got” philosophy, but in order to completely preserve the greatness of Michael Jackson, people got to be exposed to fresh content besides the shows in Bucharest and Munich.

We should at least get new content every 5 years. xscape came out i think 6 years ago. we need something fresh. that way they can keep michael legacy going without releasing everything and keep some of fans happy. pretty much like michael did when he was alive.

Back