The perception of Michael within the USA from the 90's -2009

LeslieMJ;4304818 said:
Having MJ's accountant set up a company under the name of "Invincible Tours" from his money, on his then business address, making him the President and sole shareholder of the company (what would require his signature on some of the documents) could be hardly interpreted differently than that at one point he agreed to tour for the Invincible album.

I can list you dozens of MJ projects that MJ never talked about but there is clear evidence that he was working on.

With the AEG/MJ contract I did not reflect on him agreeing to do 50 shows in London, but that from the beginning he planned to tour multiple cities.

And here is a list of the tours in 2002 (that includes Jon Bon Jovi, U2, Pink, Billy Idol, etc): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:2002_concert_tours

Barry Siegel (who was preparing these documents about a planned ‘Invincible’ Tour) was apparently acting in the interest of Sony, and Sony was forcing Michael Jackson to tour for the ‘Invincible’ album.

In reality, Michael Jackson never expressed any desire to tour at that time for that album.

At every given opportunity, he publicly stated that he did not want to, or that he did not agree to tour for that album.

Here is what Michael Jackson also stated about that during the Rick Dees Halloween 2003 Radio Interview:

Rick Dees: “Any word on whether you're gonna put together a tour for 2003 or is it too early to tell.”

Michael Jackson: “Yeah, I really don't… I don't know myself now. No I don’t think so, we're really concentrating on other areas now.”

Or, what he stated about touring generally, some years earlier:

“…I love to entertain, but I don't like the system of touring. You're jet-lagged. You're sleepy on stage. I don't know where I am half the time. I may not tour again. Ever.” (Michael Jackson, Life Magazine Interview, 1997)

Also, Michael Durham Prince talked about an ‘Invincible’ Tour which was supposedly meant to start in spring of 2002, but at that point Sony had already ended any promotion for that album.

And we should keep in mind that Michael Jackson was often being manipulated when it came to such matters (when, for example, they wanted to get his signature), just like AEG Live’s document that has his signature on it about him doing 50 London shows, when in fact he never agreed to do those 50 London shows.

mj_frenzy;4304870 said:
Barry Siegel (who was preparing these documents about a planned ‘Invincible’ Tour) was apparently acting in the interest of Sony, and Sony was forcing Michael Jackson to tour for the ‘Invincible’ album.

In reality, Michael Jackson never expressed any desire to tour at that time for that album.

At every given opportunity, he publicly stated that he did not want to, or that he did not agree to tour for that album.

Here is what Michael Jackson also stated about that during the Rick Dees Halloween 2003 Radio Interview:

Rick Dees: “Any word on whether you're gonna put together a tour for 2003 or is it too early to tell.

Michael Jackson: “Yeah, I really don't… I don't know myself now. No I don’t think so, we're really concentrating on other areas now.

Or, what he stated about touring generally, some years earlier:

…I love to entertain, but I don't like the system of touring. You're jet-lagged. You're sleepy on stage. I don't know where I am half the time. I may not tour again. Ever.” (Michael Jackson, Life Magazine Interview, 1997)

Also, Michael Durham Prince talked about an ‘Invincible’ Tour which was supposedly meant to start in spring of 2002, but at that point Sony had already ended any promotion for that album.

And we should keep in mind that Michael Jackson was often being manipulated when it came to such matters (when, for example, they wanted to get his signature), just like AEG Live’s document that has his signature on it about him doing 50 London shows, when in fact he never agreed to do those 50 London shows.
Even if he had no desire to tour, he did agree to it. Just like how he may have had no desire to tour for Dangerous and HIStory, he still did it.

I feel like we may have drifted away from the actual topic of the thread.

Last edited:
NatureCriminal7896;4304840 said:
a big no-no in my opinion.

Well, that’s what the plan was.

mj_frenzy;4304870 said:

He agreed to do the tour in 2001 when Sony were still promoting Invincible.

Michael Jackson was conscious of the extent of his health problems at the time, which was another reason for him that he did not agree to embark on a gruelling, world tour for the 'Invincible' album.

After the HIStory Tour ended, his doctors were very concerned about his health condition and they were advising him against plans for a new touring.

Michael Jackson took their medical advices very seriously, and he decided to eventually put an end to plans for new tours.

Here is what he also confessed to Cory Rooney in the early ‘00s about touring:

“...Cory, I can’t tour anymore. I’m not gonna tour anymore. Ok? Because it will kill me … Well, remember when I was preparing for my concert and I passed out at the Sony Studio? Well, it’s because when I get ready for a tour I get dehydrated. I don’t eat. I don’t drink. I don’t sleep. I put so much of myself into preparing for a tour … I’ll do albums till I can’t do it anymore, but I just can’t tour…” (Michael Jackson)

Michael Jackson went on revealing to Cory Rooney that he wanted to make the ‘Invincible’ album work to the point where that was it, meaning he has done with the tour.

Take a look, for example, at the way he was entering Madison Square Garden (in company with Elizabeth Taylor) for his first show in 2001, where he was so fragile and ill that he was hobbling to the entrance and he was on the verge of collapsing.

mj_frenzy;4304911 said:
Michael Jackson was conscious of the extent of his health problems at the time, which was another reason for him that he did not agree to embark on a gruelling, world tour for the 'Invincible' album.

After the HIStory Tour ended, his doctors were very concerned about his health condition and they were advising him against plans for a new touring.

Michael Jackson took their medical advices very seriously, and he decided to eventually put an end to plans for new tours.

Here is what he also confessed to Cory Rooney in the early ‘00s about touring:

“...Cory, I can’t tour anymore. I’m not gonna tour anymore. Ok? Because it will kill me … Well, remember when I was preparing for my concert and I passed out at the Sony Studio? Well, it’s because when I get ready for a tour I get dehydrated. I don’t eat. I don’t drink. I don’t sleep. I put so much of myself into preparing for a tour … I’ll do albums till I can’t do it anymore, but I just can’t tour…” (Michael Jackson)

The concert in the Sony studio Michael talks about here is the cancelled HBO 'One Night Only'.

In a recent other thread tabloid trash fan mj_frency eagerly claimed that Michael FAKED the breakdown during rehearsals for that concert for sympathy.

Now the same tabloid trash fan mj_frency brings up Michael's quote about this same breakdown incident, in context of explaining why Michael didn't want to tour anymore, saying that Michael was "conscious of the extent of his health problems".

Ups. So what is it, tabloid junkie... fake or health problems with consequences?

mj_frenzy;4304911 said:
Take a look, for example, at the way he was entering Madison Square Garden (in company with Elizabeth Taylor) for his first show in 2001, where he was so fragile and ill that he was hobbling to the entrance and he was on the verge of collapsing.

Tabloid trash fan mj_frency needs to get some new glasses. The only time that Michael wasn't exactly "fragile" looking, and had visibly gained a bit of extra weight, were exactly those early 00 years.

On that evening with Liz Taylor basically carrying him over the red carpet he looked more like he was sedated, speaking very slurry when answering reporters questions etc. Didn't tabloid trash fan mj_frency already come all over that in some other thread?

Last edited:
MJ was at his heaviest in 2001-early 2003, If you watch American Bandstand Dangerous performance in April of 2002, he's at his heaviest.

MJ was at his heaviest in 2001-early 2003, If you watch American Bandstand Dangerous performance in April of 2002, he's at his heaviest.

Don't forget that he was also 44, that's quite natural to gain some weight at this age.

All good with a bit of extra weight.

issabreakofdawn only posted that video to show that Michael was not "fragile" during those early 00 years, as a certain confused someone claimed a few posts up in this thread.

Last edited:
I think MJ looked better and more healthy with some extra weight.

At times MJ was waaay too thin. - During TII he was a little thin and fragile to look at at times.

But stress, not eating, not sleeping, rehearsing etc. sure was hard for him.

I remember a conversation with a friend in 2000 and that he was adamant in his belief that Michael was not a songwriter, didn't compose any of his songs. I don't know if that is representative of the general perception of Michael in the US (in terms of reducing Michael to being an entertainer), but I was quite shocked that it wasn't common knowledge that Michael was a musical genius.

Michael did gain some weight which is good. hahahaha michael was a picky eater and he was always slim. even michael said one time that he knows that he is skinny as a stick or something like that. :laughing:

but like all of us we tend to cheat ourselves eating too much sweets and junk food.

michael said when he dance he lost weight. so that's good source of exercise.

Have to agree Michael Prince is not a good source of info. His memory is incredibly sketchy. Mj was never going to tour Invincible. There were never any plans to tour again after History. He wanted to do specials and one night only type things. There are many sources for this but I can't be assed to find them hahaha.

For ir Number Ones in 2003 he was looking into some one night only type things in Europe at first but any plans fell through by the time the album came out. His team had gotten wind of impending charges by the Arvizos by the time the album came out so promo was scrapped. Hence a last minute attempt at filming a video (usually a video is shot in advance, we all know that. Not on the week the single comes out)

Mitigating circs were the only reason for TII. We all know he did not want to do those shows. Sadly he had to go back to work

rumandraisin;4306502 said:
Have to agree Michael Prince is not a good source of info. His memory is incredibly sketchy. Mj was never going to tour Invincible. There were never any plans to tour again after History. He wanted to do specials and one night only type things. There are many sources for this but I can't be assed to find them hahaha.

For ir Number Ones in 2003 he was looking into some one night only type things in Europe at first but any plans fell through by the time the album came out. His team had gotten wind of impending charges by the Arvizos by the time the album came out so promo was scrapped. Hence a last minute attempt at filming a video (usually a video is shot in advance, we all know that. Not on the week the single comes out)

Mitigating circs were the only reason for TII. We all know he did not want to do those shows. Sadly he had to go back to work

His efforts in 2003 (before the scandal) focused mainly on rehabilitating his image via certain public events, such as the planned ones with Nelson Mandela, and also with the American boxer Muhammad Ali.

An interesting thing about the ‘One More Chance’ music video is that Michael Jackson was not happy with its concept.

As his then-manager Dieter Wiesner revealed, Michael Jackson did not really like the simple concept of the ‘One More Chance’ music video and also he was annoyed by the fact that, unlike his previous music videos, the record company this time did not invest a lot of money in its making.

When he arrived to shoot his parts, he also found the set of that music video very similar to his ‘Smooth Criminal’ music video concept, which annoyed him as well.

Well let's face it, unless the video was going to have some kind of story or some different setting as an aside from the shots of him around those tables it was gonna be pretty bland.

I agree 2003 was about rehabilitating his image with stuff like Private Home Movies and the trip to Indian etc.

Back